Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country (7233 Views)

Are A Majority Of Nigerians Corrupt? / Muslim Country (brunei) Bans Christmas. / Gbajabiamila Will Not Be Majority Leader, Dogara Insists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 20, 2015
Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama will welcome Nigeria's new president to the White House Monday in an effort to bolster the fight against Boko Haram and begin a new chapter with Africa's most populous country.

The United States is eager to boost its ties with Nigeria now that the former president, Goodluck Jonathan, who was often a source of frustration for Washington, has left office.

The Obama administration believes that President Muhammadu Buhari can become an ally in cracking down on Boko Haram, whose collaboration with ISIS is helping the spread of radical extremism in West Africa.

Buhari, a devout Muslim in a country where a majority of residents are Muslim, said during his election that he'd fight aggressively against radical Islam and promised to ramp up the fight against Boko Haram, which has horrified the world with its kidnappings of Nigerian school girls.

The Obama administration, which had challenged Jonathan to fight terrorism more aggressively, emphasized the effort to combat Boko Haram in its announcement of Buhuri's visit.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/20/politics/nigerian-president-buhari-obama-visit/index.html?eref=edition

Not a bigot and but I find the assertion interesting, most research on the demographics of Nigeria's religious adherents tend to point to a 50-50 divide....
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2015
Arrant Nonsense!

18 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Demmocrats(m): 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2015
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Zaikon(m): 2:36pm On Jul 20, 2015
now e-quarrelling starts

5 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Ultimatesammie(m): 2:36pm On Jul 20, 2015
Interesting

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by EdCure: 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2015
Wrong perception.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Faremisodeeq(m): 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2015
Op suppose google am to confirm before creating a topic

3 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by olaboy001(m): 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2015
Issokay
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 20, 2015
Nigeria unfortunately a technically muslim country by virtue of our membership of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Ayameze2015(m): 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2015
olaboy001:
Issokay
who's the fool that spew this balderdash?
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Ayameze2015(m): 2:49pm On Jul 20, 2015
barcanista:
Nigeria unfortunately a technically muslim country by virtue of our membership of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
are you saying that we are oic member till date?
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by olaboy001(m): 2:50pm On Jul 20, 2015
Ayameze2015:
who's the fool that spew this balderdash?
Please, what is fool?
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by joseph1832(m): 2:50pm On Jul 20, 2015
barcanista:
Yes, am we have IBB and those avaricious pastors to thank for this.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by omenka(m): 2:51pm On Jul 20, 2015
cnn said so but we know better don't we??

11 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by atlwireles: 2:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
This is not news grin grin grin una neva understand.

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
Ayameze2015:
are you saying that we are oic member till date?
Yes Sir! Former Presidents Obasanjo, Yar'adua and GEJ fully participated in OIC confrence during their time

6 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by hahn(m): 2:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
omenka:
cnn said so but we know better don't we??

There are more muslims in Nigeria, don't you think?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by sonikstargirl(f): 2:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
Muslim ko Mozambique ni
if I hear

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by crispberry(f): 2:55pm On Jul 20, 2015
Their opinion though not true

3 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Saifullah01: 2:56pm On Jul 20, 2015
I think so....
If you consider majority of Muslim north (with 50% of country's population) plus close to half of the south west, that will give you more Muslims.
Don't confuse it with north ( half of of the country's population)

22 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by omenka(m): 2:57pm On Jul 20, 2015
hahn:

There are more muslims in Nigeria, don't you think?
Does the last population census figures say so?? If it doesn't, then no one can say they are more in number. I believe facts not conjectures.

1 Like

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by dokyOloye: 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2015
If I hear.
Yet d north will never allow ethnicity and religion to be added during census.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Young03(m): 3:00pm On Jul 20, 2015
una need prophet to tell una say dem Coret abi

10 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by hahn(m): 3:02pm On Jul 20, 2015
omenka:
Does the last population censors figures say so?? If it doesn't, then no one can say they are more in number. I believe facts not conjectures.

Do you mean the last census where lots of people weren't even numbered?

Nigeria, unfortunately, doesn't have a reliable statistic organisation. I personally believe CNN are relying on guesswork but considering the fact that there is a large population of citizens in the north(not to mention the high birth rate), with very few christians, as opposed to the south west for instance who have a large number of muslims, it's fair enough to say they might be right.

I'm not muslim by the way

9 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by hinwazaka: 3:03pm On Jul 20, 2015
In a nation of 77 million Muslims, the 5th largest Muslim nation in the world, this is not completely inaccurate

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by ogba20: 3:03pm On Jul 20, 2015
Demmocrats:
. Me i dont want to talk yet till the time come.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by Beremx(f): 3:04pm On Jul 20, 2015
CNN always goof when it comes to matters concerning Nigeria. I dunno if they do it on purpose.
Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by vicenzo(m): 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
Are they wrong? No!

The Arewa-Odua are the Islamic core upon which one Nigeria was built. Of course Nigeria is an Islamic country, how is that even debatable.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by ARKdiscloser7(m): 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2015
See what APC has caused.
No wonder the Igbos are agitating for Biafra.
They really don't belong in that zoo called Nija

6 Likes

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by kalufelix(m): 3:09pm On Jul 20, 2015
Am from biafra
The land of the rising sun
Am a Christain

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by okosodo: 3:10pm On Jul 20, 2015
To those christians who voted for this cow all in the name of change, this is part1

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Says Nigeria Is A Majority Muslim Country by omenka(m): 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2015
hahn:

Do you mean the last census where lots of people weren't even numbered?

Nigeria, unfortunately, doesn't have a reliable statistic organisation. I personally believe CNN are relying on guesswork but considering the fact that there is a large population of citizens in the north(not to mention the high birth rate), with very few christians, as opposed to the south west for instance who have a large number of muslims, it's fair enough to say they might be right.

I'm not muslim by the way
I would rather believe figures from a census. Nothing less.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Gives Account Of Two Years Stewardship, Promises To Deliver More / New Revenue Formula: PMB Receives Report, Awaits Constitution Review Process / Court To Rule On Atiku’s Live Telecast Motion, Others Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.