Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,555 members, 7,812,779 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them (851 Views)

Share Your New Year Resolutions. / See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian / 5 Nights Of Glory! You Can't Miss This! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by malvisguy212: 11:15pm On Dec 29, 2014
Why is it that we make New Year's
resolutions, but fail to keep them within
the first month of the new year? Some
will say that you lack the willpower.
Others have given up making New Year's resolutions altogether.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAY;
The fact is that all people lack the
willpower to keep all but the easiest of
resolutions. The Bible makes the claim
that the reason why we are unable to do what is good because we are, by nature, sinners. In fact, the Bible claims that we are born sinners. Of course, these ideas are not politically correct. Political correctness would claim that we are born innocent or even virtuous and are corrupted by society, parents or other adults.

WHAT THE EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY SAY;
However, such claims do not hold up to
scientific scrutiny. In The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature
, Steven Pinker, professor of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT, provides that our facility with language, our ability to
understand each other's actions as
manifestations of mind, our number
sense, our moral sense, our tool-making
propensities are all pre-programmed.
Being an evolutionary psychologist,
Pinker claims that immoral behaviors,
such as violence, clannishness, nepotism, lying and cheating have an evolutionary basis. Pinker goes on to show that the "noble savage" idea (that we are born virtuous and that it is only society that warps and corrupts us) is a myth. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature

SOLUTION;
Although Pinker gets the data right, he
fails to provide the direct genetic
evidence that these mental functions are encoded by genes (although it is likely that at least some mental. functions are genetically programmed). Ultimately, the Bible's claim that humans are "born sinners" seems to be supported by this research, even if the cause (evolutionary genetics vs. the biblical sin nature) remains unresolved.
Given this depressing news, what are we to do? Pinker suggests that we fight
against our genes and rise above them.
You (and I) have already tried that
approach and failed at it. The Bible has
another suggestion. It is not through
human willpower, but by abiding in "the
light" - Jesus Christ - the source of all
power - that we have the ability to do
good. If you are trying to do things
through your own will power, you will
find that there is no "power" in your own will. Only by abiding in Christ can we fulfill the will of God in our own lives.

CONCLUSION;
Only one New Year's resolution is
required in life - following Jesus Christ. If you follow Him, all other resolutions can be accomplished by the power of His Spirit. May the Lord bless your year!
Re: New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by Nobody: 12:00am On Dec 30, 2014
Lol actually , one of my new yr resolutions will be to totally quit nairaland nd converse more with real people.... So much fake ppo on the social platforms...
Re: New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by menix(m): 12:53am On Dec 30, 2014
Not keepin mine cous I still hang out wiv d kpolii masters buh wuld stop soon cous its affecting my respiratory system...
Re: New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by malvisguy212: 7:47am On Dec 30, 2014
menix:
Not keepin mine cous I still hang out wiv d kpolii masters buh wuld stop soon cous its affecting my respiratory system...
you cannot do it your self, you need to called on Jesus to help you.
Re: New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by menix(m): 8:43am On Dec 30, 2014
malvisguy212:
you cannot do it your self, you need to called on Jesus to help you.

Help mii wiv his number or BBM Pin..

1 Like

Re: New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by malvisguy212: 7:52am On Dec 31, 2014
malvisguy212:
Why is it that we make New Year's
resolutions, but fail to keep them within
the first month of the new year? Some
will say that you lack the willpower.
Others have given up making New Year's resolutions altogether.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAY;
The fact is that all people lack the
willpower to keep all but the easiest of
resolutions. The Bible makes the claim
that the reason why we are unable to do what is good because we are, by nature, sinners. In fact, the Bible claims that we are born sinners. Of course, these ideas are not politically correct. Political correctness would claim that we are born innocent or even virtuous and are corrupted by society, parents or other adults.

WHAT THE EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY SAY;
However, such claims do not hold up to
scientific scrutiny. In The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature
, Steven Pinker, professor of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT, provides that our facility with language, our ability to
understand each other's actions as
manifestations of mind, our number
sense, our moral sense, our tool-making
propensities are all pre-programmed.
Being an evolutionary psychologist,
Pinker claims that immoral behaviors,
such as violence, clannishness, nepotism, lying and cheating have an evolutionary basis. Pinker goes on to show that the "noble savage" idea (that we are born virtuous and that it is only society that warps and corrupts us) is a myth. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature

SOLUTION;
Although Pinker gets the data right, he
fails to provide the direct genetic
evidence that these mental functions are encoded by genes (although it is likely that at least some mental. functions are genetically programmed). Ultimately, the Bible's claim that humans are "born sinners" seems to be supported by this research, even if the cause (evolutionary genetics vs. the biblical sin nature) remains unresolved.
Given this depressing news, what are we to do? Pinker suggests that we fight
against our genes and rise above them.
You (and I) have already tried that
approach and failed at it. The Bible has
another suggestion. It is not through
human willpower, but by abiding in "the
light" - Jesus Christ - the source of all
power - that we have the ability to do
good. If you are trying to do things
through your own will power, you will
find that there is no "power" in your own will. Only by abiding in Christ can we fulfill the will of God in our own lives.

CONCLUSION;
Only one New Year's resolution is
required in life - following Jesus Christ. If you follow Him, all other resolutions can be accomplished by the power of His Spirit. May the Lord bless your year!
Re: New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 31, 2014
To wait till the year ends to resolve to do a certain thing is something I will never comprehend.
Re: New Year's Resolutions: Why You Can't Keep Them by malvisguy212: 4:20pm On Dec 31, 2014
MzNelly:
To wait till the year ends to resolve to do a certain thing is something I will never comprehend.
you are very correct, for hope of repentance, new year Resolution is another chance for the unjust to repent.

(1) (Reply)

Jehovah Witness Crew With Their Disturbance..(j.white) / Seduced By Fifty Shades Of Grey / Picture Of What Will Befall Buhari Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.