Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch (3947 Views)

Php/mysql(cms) Developer Working With Zend Framework Wanted / Convert Static Website To Cms Website / If You Can Design A Cms Website Like Alibaba.com Come In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 3:01pm On Dec 30, 2014
in this lesson which is going to be very in-depth and i am going
to go really very slow and we are going to do raw data management systems from scratch which are equivalent to content management systems. They are systems that you can create, or you can download template system and use to give to clients or use for yourself to have a dynamic PHP and MySQL
Website. That is what both WordPress and Joomla are, they
are dynamic PHP and MySQL Website and what they do is that they store data of the sites essentially in a MySQl database and
PHP interacts with that MySQL database to render all the
pages and the menus.

I will take you through starting the whole system from scratch, building the MySQL database and basically where you can hand it over to a client. In this tutorial I am going to be working
in PHPMyAdmin.

This system is suited for people that enjoy creating their
system from scratch and ideal for ecommerce or deep data indexing systems, on or off the Web.

What We Will Need

1. Basic HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL Knowledge, and a HTML/Text Editor

2. Online Live Server that Processes PHP and is MySQL Ready, Equipped With PHPMyAdmin

I recommended an online server rather than installing and
setting up WAMP, LAMP, etc. If you have it running already use it, but if you have not set that up before don't even try it.

To use an online server, go online and get a domain and
hosting that is PHP & MySQL ready and you will be able to access PHPMyAdmin from your Control Panel (cPanel). If you are running an online server you will also need:

3. Good FTP Software tha Has Folder Creation and File
Permissions Control (FileZilla)

4. Free WYSIWYG Text Editor (Preferably JavaScript Based)

What If I Get Stuck or Need Assistance?

1. Try Forums like nairaland, Although NO Help
Guarantees In a Free Forum

2. Or Hire Guyson TO Help You Produce
The System

1 Like

Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by mojeed4(m): 3:02pm On Dec 30, 2014
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 3:06pm On Dec 30, 2014
Try not to ask people to help build your site for free. Pay attention best you can build it yourself

WordPress and Joomla are much more powerful that what we are going to be building. This will give you insight into how to get started with your own system to offer your clients and have total control of design and programming
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2014
STEPS

1. Creating MySQL Database on your server

I am going to skip this step coz I believe we know how to create a MySQL Database on your server. Or you can read the tutorial at http://askguyson.com/creating-mysql-database-on-your-server/

2. Connecting to your MySQL Database

I will also skip this step, read at http://askguyson.com/connecting-to-your-mysql-database/

3. Creating a Main Project file

Create a folder where you are going to store the files for this project. You can create it on your desktop or in www directory for those of you working with a localhost server
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 3:38pm On Dec 30, 2014
Name the folder: MyCustomCMS and create a sub-folder named scripts inside the MyCustomCMS folder.

4. Building the index page

In this tutorial I'm not going to focus on designing, rather I will be focusing on functionality (development)

Create and index page for rendering all your Pages/Post. The benefit of CMS is that you don't have to create a static html or php page for every Page/Post. All the Pages/Post will be displayed on your single index.php page.

Create an index.php page like the following

Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2014
You can use HTML table to create the layout using the 1:3:1 format. Or just use HTML & CSS to create the layout for the template. Mine was created using HTML & CSS.
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 4:04pm On Dec 30, 2014
When you are done with creating the template, we will move on to the next step
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by lambvard: 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2014
Am with you
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 8:03pm On Dec 30, 2014
5. Create tables in the Database you created in Step 1

For this project we are going to be creating two(2) tables.

FIRST TABLE

Name: pages
Number of fields: 10

With the following fields: id, pagetitle, linklabel, pagebody, pageorder, showing, keywords, description, lastmodified, extra

Set the id, to auto increment and primary key, pagetitle varchar 255, linklabel varchar 255, pagebody text, pageorder int 11, showing enuum '0', '1' default 1, keywords varchar 255, description varchar 255, lastmodified date, and extra varchar 255.

We are now done with the first table. Now we are going to move on to creating the second table
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 8:35pm On Dec 30, 2014
To get a feel of what we are about to build, you can view the demo online at http://www.demo.askguyson.com on your desktop browser.

It is ugly but it works perfectly well
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by DONOCSO(m): 7:12am On Dec 31, 2014
Nice Job Boss
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by debeginin(m): 11:35am On Dec 31, 2014
Guyson:
You can use HTML table to create the layout using the 1:3:1 format. Or just use HTML & CSS to create the layout for the template. Mine was created using HTML & CSS.
Pls boss I don't get d 1:3:1 format,cld U pls enlighten me.Tnx.
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 11:37am On Dec 31, 2014
Creating the Second Table

Table Name: modules
Number of fields: 4

With the following fields:

id
name
modulebody
showing

Set the id to auto increment and make it the primary key, name varchar (255), modulebody text, and showing enum ‘0’,’1′ and default = 1.

we are now done with the second table. The first and second table should look like this

Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2014
debeginin:

Pls boss I don't get d 1:3:1 format,cld U pls enlighten me.Tnx.

I meant one table data for the first table row, three table data for the second row, and one table data for the last row. The following code should do it

<Table width=100%>
<Tr><td width=100%><h1>Website Name</h1></td></tr>
<Tr><td width=15%>Menu</td><td width=70%>Body</td>
<Td width=15%>CustomModule</td></tr>
<Tr><td width=100% align=center>Footer</td></tr>
</table>

Copy and paste the code in your text editor (like Notepad)
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by debeginin(m): 2:23pm On Dec 31, 2014
Guyson:

I meant one table data for the first table row, three table data for the second row, and one table data for the last row. The following code should do it

<Table width=100%>
<Tr><td width=100%><h1>Website Name</h1></td></tr>
<Tr><td width=15%>Menu</td><td width=70%>Body</td>
<Td width=15%>CustomModule</td></tr>
<Tr><td width=100% align=center>Footer</td></tr>
</table>

Copy and paste the code in your text editor (like Notepad)
OK.Got it.Tnx boss.
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2014
Now it is time for us to insert data in the database and call the data to be displayed on our index.php page

Insert the following data into the pages database

Pagetitle = Home page of my website
Linkabel = Home
Pagebody = welcome to my home page
Pageorder = 1
Showing = 1 (select 1 from the radio button)
Keywords = how to buld dynamic website
Description = blah blah
Lastmodified = "click the button to select the date"
Extra = leave it blank

That is for creating the the first row (each rowholds the content of one page/post), then when that row is called on the index.php page it will display "home" as the link on the left side of the page, it will display "welcome to my home page" in the middle column whenever the home link is clicked, it will display "home page of my website" as the title of the page.

You can insert more rows to create more pages/post (eg: for about page, contact page, or whatever page/post you want) but make show you increment the pageorder manually

After that we would move on to inserting data in the modules table
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by debeginin(m): 3:47pm On Jan 01, 2015
Following boss.More grease to Ur elbow.
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 7:15pm On Jan 01, 2015
Insert content data into modules table

FIRST ROW

Id = 1
Name = footer
Modulebody = (c) copyright BlahBlah Designed by YOU

This row will bring out a footer at the bottom of the page

FOR SECOND ROW

Id = 2
Name = custom1
Modulebody = This is my custom module...I can put any HTML data here

With this row you can put any HTML data to be displayed on the right hand side of your index page. As you can see on the demo page at http://www.demo.askguyson.com I created a login form on the right hand of my index page.

If you want to put a form on yours, erase "this is my custom module..I can put any HTML data here" and put your form code

Now, I will give you the source code, copy and paste it at the top of your index page. The source code is for connecting to database and retrieving content from the database tables.
Re: Tutorial On: How To Build Php & Mysql Cms Website From Scratch by Guyson(m): 5:17pm On Jan 02, 2015
I might not post everything here, you can follow up the tutorials at: http://askguyson.com/how-to-build-php-mysql-cms-website-part1/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Submitting Your Site To Search Directories, Forums And Special Sites / Blog Design At N3,000 - Limited Offer / Which Open Source Shopping Cart Would You Choose?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.