Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer (2659 Views)

An Engineer Needs An Advice / Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? / Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Elparaiso(m): 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2014
Hello N'LANDERS....
I greet o..
Please I need your advice...
I'm a young man by many standards
, I am going to start my 300 level by January and I'm in the chemical engineering dept of great UNIBEN....
My dilemma is that I do not know if I should pursue a career in engineering or if I should join the army when I graduate....
I would also like to know my prospects in the army and how army life take be......
Or how is the labour market for engineering graduands there....
I'm not one of those looking to land a shell,chevron or total job, I actually want a place where I could go on research (if actually they research in oil companies, pls gently correct me?....
And could I be a military engineer?
Thank you very much.....
#HappyNewYearN'Landers
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Onlinebizexpert(m): 9:58pm On Dec 30, 2014
As an engineer in army, you will be respected and you will climb the ladder of promotion very fast

You might get fat in the army because you may end up in the office
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Elparaiso(m): 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:
As an engineer in army, you will be respected and you will climb the ladder of promotion very fast

You might get fat in the army because you may end up in the office
Thank you very much....
But do you have an idea of where I would start from?
Like rank?
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Onlinebizexpert(m): 10:09pm On Dec 30, 2014
Elparaiso:

Thank you very much....
But do you have an idea of where I would start from?
Like rank?

Am not sure but back then in secondary school an airforce man with degree in medicine had a better package thanbthat of his mates

He had respect and got easily promoted

You might get that bonus if you enter army as an engineer
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Elparaiso(m): 10:19pm On Dec 30, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

Am not sure but back then in secondary school an airforce man with degree in medicine had a better package thanbthat of his mates

He had respect and got easily promoted

You might get that bonus if you enter army as an engineer
Thanks Bro....
I'ld keep that in mind
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by MRosario(m): 1:28am On Dec 31, 2014
W

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Elparaiso(m): 6:54am On Dec 31, 2014
MRosario:
Well it depends on which section of the Army you enlist in, Air-man, Navy, Combatant or Non-combatant, Officer cadet or Recruit, or the Engineering Corp of the Nigerian Armed Forces. The Rank will be 2nd Lieutenant and you might be promoted after every 4 years depending on various factors. PS: y do you want to leave ChE.......if you r in 300lvl then you must know Aravie, Dean Sunny, Olagbegi,and their cohorts.......If you survived 200lvl then ur a certified Engine guy........don't ask if I kno you cuz I don't.........I graduated frm Electrical few years back but still have loads of friends back there. I'm on my masters now but still rep UNIBEN to d core.........so personally I'll advise you to graduate well, then after graduation go for the Direct Short Service,(DSSC).
Sunny has left us for uromi.....
Aravie didn't teach us this year, thank God.....
I want to know my chances in both areas...
Thank you very much bro, but I'm still unclear about the DSSC ..
Pls what is it?
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by AreaFada2: 2:53am On Jan 08, 2015
DSSC is the direct short service course.
Usually for graduates of the professions. Med, Engr, MLS, Nurses, I think clergy, etc. usually under age 26.

If you were elect/elect, marine or mech, I'd prefer it. Chemical engr research & army, hmmmm, not sure if you'll get the kinda role within it. I may be wrong though.

You may end up never seeing a lab again. Since you're very young & and have passion for research, graduate well n take higher degree/degrees. It's exciting times research wise for biochem, biochem engr & chem engr research in the West. Follow your passion.
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Elparaiso(m): 8:38pm On Jan 13, 2015
AreaFada2:
DSSC is the direct short service course.
Usually for graduates of the professions. Med, Engr, MLS, Nurses, I think clergy, etc. usually under age 26.

If you were elect/elect, marine or mech, I'd prefer it. Chemical engr research & army, hmmmm, not sure if you'll get the kinda role within it. I may be wrong though.

You may end up never seeing a lab again. Since you're very young & and have passion for research, graduate well n take higher degree/degrees. It's exciting times research wise for biochem, biochem engr & chem engr research in the West. Follow your passion.
Thank you sir.....
I'm sorry for replying late....
So the military might kill my dream of lab work.....
OK.....
But what options are there for Chem engrs in the military?..
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by AreaFada2: 8:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
Elparaiso:

Thank you sir.....
I'm sorry for replying late....
So the military might kill my dream of lab work.....
OK.....
But what options are there for Chem engrs in the military?..

I'm not really sure Sir,

But as engnr, you can do other engineering work: the numeracy/maths skills are valued. Not necessarily chemical engineering.
But you never know, the military might go in that direction. People like you can bring about that.

In the US some of the most advanced research that later benefit everyone are done in the military.
Re: Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer by Elparaiso(m): 9:12pm On Jan 13, 2015
AreaFada2:

I'm not really sure Sir,

But as engnr, you can do other engineering work: the numeracy/maths skills are valued. Not necessarily chemical engineering.
But you never know, the military might go in that direction. People like you can bring about that.

In the US some of the most advanced research that later benefit everyone are done in the military.
Ok sir.....
You have done well....
I just have to go into the military....

(1) (Reply)

FIRS Federal Inland Revenue Service Past Test Exam Materials / What Do You Know About Sap / Free Web Design Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.