Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,368 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" (7683 Views)

1966 Coup: Okonjo-iweala's Adviser Appreciates Yorubaman For Saving His Dad / Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo - Biafra Offer Of Help To West / Ojukwu's Letter To Victor Banjo Before The Invasion Of The Midwest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by teufelein(f): 5:07pm On Dec 31, 2014
OJUKWU's LETTER TO YORUBAMAN BANJO..."TAKING OUR DESTINIES INTO OUR HANDS"

August 1967

My Dear Victor,

1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria. We have been fully convinced that the aim of the Hausa/Fulani complex has ever been, and will ever remain, the total domination of every other part of what was known as the Federation of Nigeria. It is impossible to forget that the crisis which led to the army take over in January 1966, the coup of the Northern soldiers led by Gowon in July 1966, the wholesale and indiscriminate massacre of the people of what is now Biafra- and, to a less degree, the people of the Mid-West and West, including the Yorubas, were all the direct result of Hausa/Fulani attempt to subjugate and use as tools, the gallant people of Western Nigeria namely the Yorubas. We do not need to remind ourselves of the heavy losses in life and property suffered by the Yoruba people in their fight for justice and freedom during 1965.

2. Sharing.our belief that the people of Yorubaland have a right to live a life of equality and self-respect and justice free of domination and dictatorship from any quarter, you have both identified with the cause of the Biafra struggle for survival and expressed your determination to see the people of Yorubaland freed from Hausa/Fulani domination.
We, the people of Biafra, for our part are willing and have decided to give you and the people of Yorubaland every assistance to achieve your aim.

3. After clearing the whole question with my Executive Council, I, as the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, have decided to place at your disposal Biafran forces, for the liberation of Yorubaland on the following clear conditions:-
(i) You will have nothing to do with the Military Administrator in the Mid-West Territory during your sojourn there prior to your move to the West.
(ii) The willingness and preparedness of Biafra to assist any part of the former Federation of Nigeria wishing and willing to liberate itself from the Hausa/Fulani domination, does not in anyway whatever imply any inclination on her part to compromise her sovereignty or preserve what remains of the defunct Federation of Nigeria. In other words, our sovereignty and break with Nigeria is irrevocable. Nothing must, therefore be said or done by you or any member of the Liberation Army to give a contrary impression.
(iii) Biafra is determined to maintain and safeguard her sovereignty and ensure that her integrity and safety are never again threatened.
(iv) Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat.
(v) On the liberation of the Yorubaland, you will be appointed as the Military Governor of that territory.
(vi) The liberation of Western Nigeria will be a prelude to the liberation of all Yorubas up to the River Niger and the severance of all connections between the West and the North at Jebba.
(vii) During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.
(viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.
(ix) As soon as possible after your appointment as the Military Governor of Western Nigeria and separation of that territory from Nigeria, you and I must meet to discuss:
(a) the duration of stay of Biafran troops in your territory;
(b) the areas and subjects of cooperation between the liberated sovereign states of Western Nigeria, or by what name it may call itself, and Biafra.

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends. As such everything should be done, to ensure the minimum force and loss of life are involved in achieving the objective of liberation.

5. It is essential, in order to avoid misunderstanding or confusion, that all subsequent requests for support be formally made to me by you in writing.

6. Will you please signify in writing, your acceptance of the above conditions so that you may leave for Western Nigeria and lead the army of liberation.

Yours very sincerely,
signed Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu,
Military Governor and Commander in Chief of Biafran Armed Forces

As culled from "A Break in the Silence : Lt. Col. Victor Adebukunola Banjo, pp.66-68, by F. Adetowun Ogunsheye, Spectrum Books, Ibadan, 2001"

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2014
trusting them: a mistake we must never repeat.

4 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by raumdeuter: 5:19pm On Dec 31, 2014
teufelein:
OJUKWU's LETTER TO YORUBAMAN BANJO..."TAKING OUR DESTINIES INTO OUR HANDS"

[size=15pt]

(iv) Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat.

(vii) During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.[/size]
[size=15pt](viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory.[/size] Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.
"

The bold are quite interesting and has shown that people who want to take over our ancestral land would be resisted with all force

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by tobtap: 5:20pm On Dec 31, 2014
weak....no right thinking yoruba man then would accept those conditions especially no 3(i) 3(iv) 3(viii)..it is like exchanging one burden to another

11 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by tobtap: 5:21pm On Dec 31, 2014
raumdeuter:

The bold are quite interesting and has shown that people who want to take over our ancestral land would be resisted with all force
my thought as well

6 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 31, 2014
What ibos refused to take with the stroke of a pen, they tried to get through the barrel of a gun with disastrous consequences.

7 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by teufelein(f): 5:39pm On Dec 31, 2014
tobtap:
weak....no right thinking yoruba man then would accept those conditions especially no 3(i) 3(iv) 3(viii)..it is like exchanging one burden to another

if only yoruba people had been wise enough to see the wisdom in the gospel as preached by Ojukwu, then by now, freedom would have come to both Ndigbo and them...be reminded at that time yorubas were very weak and needed a big brother to safeguard their territory...by now the yorubas could have be masters in ilorin, kwara state...

8 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by iamodenigbo1(m): 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2014
Nwata gini gburu Nne gi ERO,gini gburu nna gi ERO,gini ka iji na-aka ERO,onye amaghi ebe miri si maba ya agaghi ama ebe ono kwusi.

10 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 5:56pm On Dec 31, 2014
raumdeuter:

Did you read

[/](ix) As soon as possible
after your appointment
as the Military Governor
of Western Nigeria and
separation of that
territory from Nigeria,
you and I must meet to
discuss:
(a) the duration of stay
of Biafran troops in your
territory;
(b) the areas and
subjects of cooperation
between the liberated
sovereign states of
Western Nigeria, or by
what name it may call
itself, and Biafra.
4. I do not need to
remind you that Biafra
regards all Yoruba as
friends. As such
everything should be
done, to ensure the
minimum force and loss
of life are involved in
achieving the objective
of liberation.
5. It is essential, in order
to avoid
misunderstanding or
confusion, that all
subsequent requests for
support be formally
made to me by you in
writing.
6. Will you please
signify in writing, your
acceptance of the above
conditions so that you
may leave for Western
Nigeria and lead the
army of liberation.[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 5:57pm On Dec 31, 2014
raumdeuter:

Did you read

[/](ix) As soon as possible
after your appointment
as the Military Governor
of Western Nigeria and
separation of that
territory from Nigeria,
you and I must meet to
discuss:
(a) the duration of stay
territory;
(b) the areas and
subjects of cooperation
between the liberated
sovereign states of
Western Nigeria, or by
what name it may call
itself, and Biafra.
4. I do not need to
remind you that Biafra
regards all Yoruba as
friends. As such
everything should be
done, to ensure the
minimum force and loss
of life are involved in
achieving the objective
of liberation.
to avoid
misunderstanding or
confusion, that all
subsequent requests for
support be formally
made to me by you in
writing.
6. Will you please
signify in writing, your
acceptance of the above
conditions so that you
may leave for Western
Nigeria and lead the
army of liberation.[b/]

4 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 6:00pm On Dec 31, 2014
tobtap:

my thought as well

What do you make of this;

(ix) As soon as possible
after your appointment
as the Military Governor
of Western Nigeria and
separation of that
territory from Nigeria,
you and I must meet to
discuss:
(a) the duration of stay
territory;
(b) the areas and
subjects of cooperation
between the liberated
sovereign states of
Western Nigeria, or by
what name it may call
itself, and Biafra.
4. I do not need to
remind you that Biafra
regards all Yoruba as
friends. As such
everything should be
done, to ensure the
minimum force and loss
of life are involved in
achieving the objective
of liberation.
to avoid
misunderstanding or
confusion, that all
subsequent requests for
support be formally
made to me by you in
writing.
6. Will you please
signify in writing, your
acceptance of the above
conditions so that you
may leave for Western
Nigeria and lead the
army of liberation.

4 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 6:02pm On Dec 31, 2014
Aigbofa:

Educate yourself!

What ibos refused to take with the stroke of a pen, they tried to get through the barrel of a gun with disastrous consequences.
(ix) As soon as possible
after your appointment
as the Military Governor
of Western Nigeria and
separation of that
territory from Nigeria,
you and I must meet to
discuss:
(a) the duration of stay
territory;
(b) the areas and
subjects of cooperation
between the liberated
sovereign states of
Western Nigeria, or by
what name it may call
itself, and Biafra.
4. I do not need to
remind you that Biafra
regards all Yoruba as
friends. As such
everything should be
done, to ensure the
minimum force and loss
of life are involved in
achieving the objective
of liberation.
to avoid
misunderstanding or
confusion, that all
subsequent requests for
support be formally
made to me by you in
writing.
6. Will you please
signify in writing, your
acceptance of the above
conditions so that you
may leave for Western
Nigeria and lead the
army of liberation.

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by LFJ: 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2014
Thank God, Yoruba people are more wiser. Who will take advice of a failure? Somebody that failed to liberate his people wants to liberate Yoruba people.

18 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by tobtap: 6:10pm On Dec 31, 2014
teufelein:

if only yoruba people had been wise enough to see the wisdom in the gospel as preached by Ojukwu, then by now, freedom would have come to both Ndigbo and them...be remeinded at that time yorubas were very weak and needed a big brother to safeguard their territory...by now the yorubas could have be masters in ilorin, kwara state...
yorubas are pragmatic people they dont rush into disastrous decisions like ojukwu did

12 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
teufelein:

if only yoruba people had been wise enough to see the wisdom in the gospel as preached by Ojukwu, then by now, freedom would have come to both Ndigbo and them...be remeinded at that time yorubas were very weak and needed a big brother to safeguard their territory...by now the yorubas could have be masters in ilorin, kwara state...

Why can't you guys be honest for once and deal with other people's issue with open mind, impartiality and fairness? Can Biafra accept these stupid conditions from less populated region(from Ijaw as a typical example)? I presumed No. So why on earth do you expect a reasonable Yoruba to sell his destiny for a plate of rice.

Thank God we didn't accept these stupid conditions.

Hausa/Fulanis are not the problems of Nigeria. Having taking my time to look into Nigeria history, my conclusion is that Igbo is d problem. I don't want to start any unreasonable argument/debate with you online; I am willing and ready to present my fact and findings on Nairaland instead of arguing blindly and of course you r equally welcome to present your own facts as regards Nigeria history; where it all started, where we got it wrong and still getting wrong......

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 6:16pm On Dec 31, 2014
tobtap:

yorubas are pragmatic people they dont rush into disastrous decisions like ojukwu did
You mean rising to halt the killing of Biafrans as urgently as it demands,is now tagged "rush into disastrious"

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 31, 2014
To be frank

Ojukwu's demand was not correct

If I were him, I will tell Banjo to get to the West, train and equip yorubas on modern warfare, after which , he should send back Biafran soldiers once he is sure Odua can be defended .

He should have allowed Yorubas determine their fate

As a true Biafra who believes in truth no matter who is wrong.

Ojukwu f u c k e d up cool

10 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by docsholz(m): 6:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
Talk about being cunning

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 31, 2014
I want you to read this with an open mind, impartiality and of course don't hesitate to fault/pick the points/facts you think are not right from my write up. This is d story of Nigeria; Let's see who is at fault here cos we always pick on Hausa/Fulanis............

Historically, Hausas/Fulanis and Igbos formed alliance politically in the first republic while Yoruba party led by Obafemi Awolowo remained active in the west. (Igbos didn't see themselves as slaves to Hausas/Fulanis then cos they are not d Yorubas). Read on pls...

Igbos(Easterners) have always been an active members of every military/civilian government/administrations since the first republic and all the subsequent military administrations. Nnamdi Azikwe was a Governor-General/president and Tafawa Balewa was a prime minister while Yoruba politicians were only active at the regional level. Nnamdi Azikwe party formed alliance with Hausa/Fulanis party when the latter was unable to win majority votes. And till date, nobody from any part of this country screamed blue murder................(Igbos were friends to Hausas/fulanis then, not slaves until Yorubas formed alliance with Hausas/fulanis)

In 1963, the coup that killed a whole lot of Northern and western top military officers and politicians was led by Easterners(Igbos) and no single soul from the East either in military or politics lost his life despite the fact that there was an existing alliance between Igbo party and Hausa/Fulani party; both parties formed that tagged corrupt government(according to Nzeogwu but only Hausa/Fulanis were corrupt in that government with their ally(Akintola) in the west). I presume you can feel the pains of the Northerners and some Westerners.......

Who subsquently became an acting Prime minister when Tafawa Balewa went missing? Nwafo Orizu(Igbo) became an acting Prime minister and subsquently handed over power to Major-General JTU Aguiyi-Ironsi (Igbo), the GOC of the Nigerian Army.

Aguiyi Ironsi(Igbo) became a president and single-handedly destroyed our flourishing regional governments in his quest to have control over all the regional governments. Read this Bro, Aguiyi Ironsi refused to killed or failed to put the coup plotters (Igbos) on a trial as was advised by Northerners' politicians and ended up transfering all these coup plotters to the Eastern prison. Can you imagine Igbos being subjected to this kind of treatment ina ny government? Igbos would definitely screamed blue murder.

Against all advice, Ironsi promulgated Decree Number 34 of 1966, which abrogated the federal system of government and substituted a unitary system. He didn't stopped there, Aguiyi Ironsi went ahead and appointed Igbos to every sensitive governmental positions. The same thing is repeating itself in 2014 again and i am wondering what Igbos would say/do in this century if an Hausa man become a president either in 2015/2019 when everybody has now witnessed their behaviour under Jonathan administration...............

Northerners started their own madness in 1966 i presumed (The Killing of innocent Igbos on the street of Northern Nigeria) which was barbaric but the subsequent coup which equally led to the death of loads of military officers from Eastern part of the country was good and justified to me though cos what goes around, comes around; And to every actions, there must/would be a reaction.

However, Northerners military took over power from where Aguiyi Ironsi left it-Unitary system of government led by Igbo and life has never been the same ever since again.

Second republic came in to place in 1979 and westerners weren't active in this administration because south west party(AG) which was led by chief Obafemi Awolowo narrowly lost the election to Shagari led party. And again, second alliance came between Igbo party and Hausa/Fulanis party...............Westerners remained active in the west throughout this administration. (Igbo never see themselves as slaves to Hausa/Fulanis during this period)

Military took over power again and straight back to where we were after d first republic until Obasanjo(Yoruba) was forced on us by Northern military cabals in 1999. Howerver, Yorubas waited for Obasanjo at the polls and did what was necessary at that point it time; Obansanjo was completely rejected by south westerners through their votes but managed to get Easterners and Northerners votes.

And before i go, Igbos-from Soludo, ezekweseli, Ngozi Iwela, Okadigbos, Adolp Wabara, Nnamani, Ekwerem, Thomas Aguiyi Ironsi, joy ogwu, Iyorcia Iyu, chukwuemeka chikelu, Frank Nweke, Lesley obiora, Okereke-Stock Xchange, DG Nafdac-Dora Akunyili dominated Obasanjo administration. And in Easterners' quest to tag that government a failed government just cos Obasanjo is Yoruba man, they failed to realise that it was their brothers and sisters in this goverment that failed cos Obasanjo wouldn't have able to single-handedly taken decisions while people like Nnamani, Okadigbo and Wabara are in Senate...........If you are still in doubt about the fact in this very paragraph, my next point ll definitely convince you how much damage Igbos have caused this great nation called Nigeria. But With all these failures, Baba administration is far better than what is obtainable in the present administration today.

And finally, can you now tell me who dominated this existing failed Jonathan government if not Igbos? And pls, look at where we are today; all their failures are now staring at the entire world in the face. It is quite clear to the world that this is the most inept, unproductive, inactive and corrupt administration ever in the history of Nigeria. The only active members of this administration is Akinwumi who is from Western part of the country and Stellah Oduah(Having seen what she did compare to no attempt in the past, I ll say she tried in my own opinion though and d corruption issue is a topic for another day)

South westerns will never support their own son who has been found guilty(not politically motivated though) on corruption charges- Bankole, Bode George could only get things done politically in PDP but let them come to main Yoruba political sphere and see how they would be treated..................

Pls, can u tell me who has been causing problems from what you read up there in all fairness?

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 6:38pm On Dec 31, 2014
WhiteTechnology:
To be frank

If I were him, I will tell Banjo to get to the West, train and equip yorubas on modern warfare, after which , he should send back Biafran soldiers once he is sure Odua can be defended .

My friend,don't sound as if the peoples General was authocratic.

DIGEST THIS,ESPECIALLY NUMBER ONE;

1. For some time now,
you and I have been
discussing the
circumstances that have
led to the current and
inevitable disintegration
of what was the
Federation of Nigeria.
We have been fully
convinced that the aim
of the Hausa/Fulani
complex has ever been,
and will ever remain,
the total domination of
every other part of
what was known as the
Federation of Nigeria. It
is impossible to forget
that the crisis which led
to the army take over in
January 1966, the coup
of the Northern soldiers
led by Gowon in July
1966, the wholesale
and indiscriminate
massacre of the people
of what is now Biafra-
and, to a less degree,
the people of the Mid-
West and West,
including the Yorubas,
were all the direct result
of Hausa/Fulani attempt
to subjugate and use as
tools, the gallant people
of Western Nigeria
namely the Yorubas. We
do not need to remind
ourselves of the heavy
losses in life and
property suffered by the
Yoruba people in their
fight for justice and
freedom during 1965.
2. Sharing.our belief
that the people of
Yorubaland have a right
to live a life of equality
and self-respect and
justice free of
domination and
dictatorship from any
quarter, you have both
identified with the
cause of the Biafra
struggle for survival and
expressed your
determination to see
the people of
Yorubaland freed from
Hausa/Fulani
domination.
We, the people of Biafra,
for our part are willing
and have decided to
give you and the people
of Yorubaland every
assistance to achieve
your aim.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 31, 2014
WhiteTechnology:
To be frank

God bless you!!! You are a blessed man by saying the truth.

If Ojukwu has a good intention towards the liberation, he should have given the Yorubas the opportunity to design their own fate not with these conditions. Even a mad man would have preferred to stay with Hausas instead of accepting that one-sided conditions

6 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Nobody: 6:43pm On Dec 31, 2014
Donmarrius:

1. For some time now,
you and I have been
discussing the
circumstances that have
led to the current and
of what was the
Federation of Nigeria.
We have been fully
convinced that the aim
of the Hausa/Fulani
complex has ever been,
and will ever remain,
the total domination of
every other part of
what was known as the
is impossible to forget
to the army take over in
January 1966, the coup
of the Northern soldiers
led by Gowon in July
1966, the wholesale
and indiscriminate
massacre of the people
of what is now Biafra-
and, to a less degree,
the people of the Mid-
West and West,
including the Yorubas,
of Hausa/Fulani attempt
to subjugate and use as
of Western Nigeria
namely the Yorubas. We
do not need to remind
ourselves of the heavy
losses in life and
property suffered by the
Yoruba people in their
fight for justice and
freedom during 1965.
2. Sharing.our belief
that the people of
Yorubaland have a right
and self-respect and
justice free of
domination and
dictatorship from any
quarter, you have both
identified with the
cause of the Biafra
expressed your
determination to see
the people of
Yorubaland freed from
Hausa/Fulani
domination.
for our part are willing
and have decided to
give you and the people
of Yorubaland every
assistance to achieve
your aim.

In law court, a judge would not pick only number 1, he/she would look at every evidence before him/her holistically before making his/her final judgement. Treat people the same way u wish to be treated.

6 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by teufelein(f): 6:47pm On Dec 31, 2014
FolarinLondon:
I want you to read this with an open mind, ............

equally this may also be a subject of interest to you....what have you got to say about it? your thoughts..

Yorubas are the Problem with Nigeria – By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

In sum, the Yoruba political leadership, as mentioned by Balarabe Musa, has shown itself over the years to be incapable of rising above narrow tribal interests and reciprocating goodwill from other sections of the country by treating other groups with respect. Practically every crisis in Nigeria since independence has its roots in this attitude.

i. The Yoruba elite and area-boy politics;ii. Igbo marginalisation and the responsible limits of retribution; andiii. The Yoruba Factor and “Area-boy” Politics.

My views on the Yoruba political leadership have been thoroughly articulated in some of my writings, prime among which was ” Afenifere: Syllabus of Errors” published by This Day (The Sunday Newspaper) on Sept 27, 1998. There was also an earlier publication in the weekly Trust entitled ” The Igbo, the Yoruba and History” (Aug. 21, 1998).In sum, the Yoruba political leadership, as mentioned by Balarabe Musa, has shown itself over the years to be incapable of rising above narrow tribal interests and reciprocating goodwill from other sections of the country by treating other groups with respect. Practically every crisis in Nigeria since independence has its roots in this attitude. The Yoruba elite were the first, in 1962, to attempt a violent overthrow of an elected government in this country. In 1966, it was the violence in the West which provided an avenue for the putsch of 15th January. After Chief Awolowo lost to Shagari in 1983 elections, it was the discontent and bad publicity in the South-West which led to the Buhari intervention. When Buhari jailed UPN governors like Ige and Onabanjo, the South-Western press castigated that good government and provided the right mood for IBB to take over power. As soon as IBB cleared UPN governors of charges against them in a politically motivated retrial, he became the darling of the South-West. When IBB annulled the primaries in which Adamu Ciroma and Shehu Yar Adua emerged as presidential candidates in the NRC and SDP, he was hailed by the South-West. When the same man annulled the June 12, 1993 elections in which Abiola was the front-runner, the South-West now became defenders of democracy.

When it seemed Sani Abacha was sympathetic to Abiola, the South-West supported his take-over. He was in fact invited by a prominent NADECO member to take over in a published letter shortly before the event. Even though Abiola had won the elections in the North, the North was blamed for its annulment. When Abdulsalam Abubakar started his transition, the Yoruba political leadership through NADECO presented a memorandum on a Government of National Unity that showed complete disrespect for the intelligence and liberties of other Nigerians.Subsequently, they formed a tribal party which failed to meet minimum requirements for registration, but was registered all the same to avoid the violence that was bound to follow non-registration, given the area-boy mentality of South-West politicians. Having rejected an Obasanjo candidacy and challenged the election as a fraud in court, we now find a leading member of the AD in the government, a daughter of an Afenifere leader as Minister of State, and Awolowo´s daughter as Ambassador, all appointed by a man who won the election through fraud.

Meanwhile, nothing has been negotiated for the children of Abiola, the focus of Yoruba political activity. In return for these favours, the AD solidly voted for Evan Enwerem as Senate President. This is a man who participated in the two-million- man March for Abacha´s self-succession. He also is reputed to have hosted a meeting of governors during IBB´s transition, demanding that June 12 elections should never be de-annulled and threatening that the East would go to war if this was done. When Ibrahim Salisu Buhari was accused of swearing to a false affidavit, the Yoruba political elite correctly took up the gauntlet for his resignation.

When an AD governor, Bola Tinubu, swears to a false affidavit that he attended an Ivy League University which he did not attend, we hear excuses.

For so many years, the Yoruba have inundated this country with stories of being marginalised and of a civil service dominated by northerners through quota system. The Federal Character Commission has recently released a report which shows that the South-West accounts for 27.8% of civil servants in the range GL08 to GL14 and a full 29.5% of GL 15 and above. One zone out of six zones controls a full 30% of the civil service leaving the other five zones to share the remaining 70%. We find the same story in the economy, in academia, in parastatals.

Yet in spite of being so dominant, the Yoruba complained and complained of marginalization. Of recent, in recognition of the trauma which hit the South-West after June 12, the rest of the country forced everyone out of the race to ensure that a South-Westerner emerged, often against the best advice of political activists.

Instead of leading a path of reconciliation and strong appreciation, the Yoruba have embarked on short-sighted triumphalism, threatening other “nationalities” that they ( who after all lost the election) will protect Obasanjo ( who was forced on them). No less a person than Bola Ige has made such utterances.

To further show that they were in charge, they led a cult into the Hausa area of Sagamu, murdered a Hausa woman and nothing happened. In the violence that followed, they killed several Hausa residents, with Yoruba leaders like Segun Osoba, reminding Nigerians of the need to respect the culture of their host communities. This would have continued were it not for the people of Kanowho showed that they could also create their own Oro who would only be appeased through the shedding of innocent Yoruba blood.

I say all this, to support Balarabe Musa´s statement, that the greatest problem to nation-building in Nigeria are the Yoruba Bourgeoisie. I say this also to underscore my point that until they change this attitude, no conference can solve the problems of Nigeria. We cannot move forward if the leadership of one of the largest ethnic groups continues to operate, not like statesmen, but like common area boys.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by theV0ice: 6:51pm On Dec 31, 2014
WhiteTechnology:
To be frank

I agree whole heartedly with you. There's no way any right thinking Yoruba would accept those conditions. Ojukwu might have had clean and clear intentions but the wording of that letter and the list of conditions attached make it impossible to believe even today that he had any good intentions towards the Yoruba.

But even at that Banjo as I heard, still forged ahead on the suicide mission.

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by meccuno: 6:51pm On Dec 31, 2014
FolarinLondon:
I want you to read this with an open mind, impartiality and fault/pick the points/assertions/facts you think are not right from my write up. This is d story of Nigeria; Let's see who is at fault here cos we are always pick on Hausa/Fulanis............

Historically, Hausas/Fulanis formed alliance politically in the first republic while Yoruba party led by Obafemi Awolowo remained active in the west. (Igbos didn't see themselves as slaves to Hausas/Fulanis then cos they are not d Yorubas). Read on pls...

Igbos(Easterners) have always been an active members of every military/civilian government/administrations since the first republic and all the subsequent military administrations. Nnamdi Azikwe was a Governor-General/president while Tafawa Balewa was a prime minister while Yoruba politicians are only active the regional level. Nnamdi Azikwe party formed alliance with Hausa/Fulani party when the latter was unable to win a majority both and nobody screamed blue murder................(Igbos are friends with Hausas not slaves until Yorubas formed alliance with Hausa)

In 1963, the coup that killed a whole lot of Northern and western top military officers and politicians was led by Easterners(Igbos) and no single soul from the East either in military or politics lost his life despite the fact that there was an existing alliance between Igbo party and Hausa/Fulani party; both parties formed that tagged corrupt government(according to Nzeogwu but only Hausa/Fulanis were corrupt in that government with their ally(Akintola) in the west). I presume you can feel the pains of the Northerners and some Westerners.......

Who subsquently became an acting Prime minister when Tafawa Balewa went missing? Nwafo Orizu(Igbo) became an acting Prime minister and subsquently handed over power to Major-General JTU Aguiyi-Ironsi (Igbo), the GOC of the Nigerian Army.

Aguiyi Ironsi(Igbo) became a president and single-handedly destroyed our flourishing regional governments in his quest to have control over all the regional governments. Read this Bro, Aguiyi Ironsi refused to killed or failed to put the coup plotters (Igbos) on a trial as was advised by Northerners' politicians and ended up transfering all these coup plotters to the Eastern prison. Can you imagine Igbos being subjected to this kind of treatment ina ny government? Igbos would definitely screamed blue murder.

Against all advice, Ironsi promulgated Decree Number 34 of 1966, which abrogated the federal system of government and substituted a unitary system. He didn't stopped there, Aguiyi Ironsi went ahead and appointed Igbos to every sensitive governmental positions. The same thing is repeating itself in 2014 again and i am wondering what Igbos would say/do in this century if an Hausa man become a president either in 2015/2019 when everybody has now witnessed their behaviour under Jonathan administration...............

Northerners started their own madness in 1966 i presumed (The Killing of innocent Igbos on the street of Northern Nigeria) which was barbaric but the subsequent coup which equally led to the death of loads of military officers from Eastern part of the country was good and justified to me though cos what goes around, comes around; And to every actions, there must/would be a reaction.

However, Northerners military took over power from where Aguiyi Ironsi left it-Unitary system of government led by Igbo and life has never been the same ever since again.

Second republic came in to place in 1979 and westerners weren't active in this administration because south west party(AG) which was led by chief Obafemi Awolowo narrowly lost the election to Shagari led party. And again, second alliance came between Igbo party and Hausa/Fulanis party...............Westerners remained active in the west throughout this administration. (Igbo never see themselves as slaves to Hausa/Fulanis during this period)

Military took over power again and straight back to where we were after d first republic until Obasanjo(Yoruba) was forced on us by Northern military cabals in 1999. Howerver, Yorubas waited for Obasanjo at the polls and did what was necessary at that point it time; Obansanjo was completely rejected by south westerners through their votes but managed to get Easterners and Northerners votes.

And before i go, Igbos-from Soludo, ezekweseli, Ngozi Iwela, Okadigbos, Adolp Wabara, Nnamani, Ekwerem, Thomas Aguiyi Ironsi, joy ogwu, Iyorcia Iyu, chukwuemeka chikelu, Frank Nweke, Lesley obiora, Okereke-Stock Xchange, DG Nafdac-Dora Akunyili dominated his administration and in Eastern quest to tagged that government a failed government, they failed to realise that it was their brothers and sisters in this goverment that failed cos Obasanjo wouldn't have able to single-handedly taken decisions while people like Nnamani, Okadigbo and Wabara are in Senate...........

And finally, can you now tell me who dominated this existing failed government? Igbos i presumed and d only active member of this administration is Akinwumi who is from Western part of the country and Stellah Oduah(Having seen what she did compare to no attempt in the past, she tried;my own opinion though and d corruption issue is a topic for another day)

South westerns will never support their own son who has been found guilty on corruption charges- Bankole, Bode George could only get things done politically in PDP but let them come to main Yoruba political sphere and see how they would be treated..................

Pls, can u tell me who has been causing problems from what you read up there in all fairness?

well....we all know who and who wrecked Nigeria......1966 - 1970 was a period of 4 years which Nigeria went through crises......but 1970-1999 is equally a longer period of time which the Northerners and the South westerners were in power......they had the chance to make it right.....one thing you should understand is that you have a leader from a tribe is one thing.....and you have the workers who are from a particular tribe is another thing.......e.g former minister of aviation.....there were so many things that happened in the aviation sector which probably most of you didn't know about but that's for another day........you have whatever notions as fact and I am not here to either change ur beliefs.....you can live with it......what caught my fancy was when you said "South westerns will never support their own son who has been found guilty on corruption charges"........what was awolowo convicted for? And what were the allegations labelled against abiola which FELA of blessed memory sang about? To the best of my knowledge,these two men are gods in the SW.......so I don't know what you are talking about

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 31, 2014
Donmarrius:

1. For some time now,
you and I have been
discussing the
circumstances that have
led to the current and
of what was the
Federation of Nigeria.
We have been fully
convinced that the aim
of the Hausa/Fulani
complex has ever been,
and will ever remain,
the total domination of
every other part of
what was known as the
is impossible to forget
to the army take over in
January 1966, the coup
of the Northern soldiers
led by Gowon in July
1966, the wholesale
and indiscriminate
massacre of the people
of what is now Biafra-
and, to a less degree,
the people of the Mid-
West and West,
including the Yorubas,
of Hausa/Fulani attempt
to subjugate and use as
of Western Nigeria
namely the Yorubas. We
do not need to remind
ourselves of the heavy
losses in life and
property suffered by the
Yoruba people in their
fight for justice and
freedom during 1965.
2. Sharing.our belief
that the people of
Yorubaland have a right
and self-respect and
justice free of
domination and
dictatorship from any
quarter, you have both
identified with the
cause of the Biafra
expressed your
determination to see
the people of
Yorubaland freed from
Hausa/Fulani
domination.
for our part are willing
and have decided to
give you and the people
of Yorubaland every
assistance to achieve
your aim.

My brother

The best way to win an ally is to avoid choosing leaders for him or her

We both love Ojukwu and Biafra

We know that he spoke the truth about Hausa Fulanis

But do you know that

If Ojukwu had told Banjo to meet the elders and collectively govern the West after he liberates the West, Banjo would have proceeded without stopping with the hope that he will be the President of Odua

This would have deprived Arewa of Odua seaports and weakened them. Leading to the collapse of Nigeria

Brother trust me in what I will tell you

In politics

Understand peoples mental make up and use it to your advantage

Eg

Yorubas love power

Yorubas see others as inferior

Yorubas hate others controlling them especially those they see as inferiors

Yorubas put down their guard if they feel you are a fool

Use these few things against them even on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 7:05pm On Dec 31, 2014
FolarinLondon:

In law court, a judge would not pick only number 1, he/she would look at every evidence before him/her holistically before making his/her final judgement. Treat people the same way u wish to be treated.
What's this one saying?.
When you finishes in Igbo demonization spree,let me know.mtchww
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Donmarrius: 7:24pm On Dec 31, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

My brother

The best way to win an ally is to avoid choosing leaders for him or her

We both love Ojukwu and Biafra

We know that he spoke the truth about Hausa Fulanis

But do you know that

If Ojukwu had told Banjo to meet the elders and collectively govern the West after he liberates the West, Banjo would have proceeded without stopping with the hope that he will be the President of Odua

This would have deprived Arewa of Odua seaports and weakened them. Leading to the collapse of Nigeria

Brother trust me in what I will tell you

In politics

Understand peoples mental make up and use it to your advantage

Eg

Yorubas love power

Yorubas see others as inferior

Yorubas hate others controlling them especially those they see as inferiors

Yorubas put down their guard if they feel you are a fool

Use these few things against them even on Nairaland.
My guy,i understand you.

But you must also know that what His Excellency did,is what can be described in common language,as "proposal".
I back up my claim with the place in that report where he instructed Banjo to write him,if he(Banjo) agree to it.

Banjo lead the Biafran soldiers,to accomplish the mission(though betrayed them along the way),which means that he "agreed" to the afore-listed "proposals".

Your assertion of "choosing" a leader for Odua might be wrong.this is war situation,and who helps Biafra freedom matters

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by emmatok(m): 7:27pm On Dec 31, 2014
teufelein:

equally this may also be a subject of interest to you....what have you got to say about it? your thoughts..

Yorubas are the Problem with Nigeria – By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

In sum, the Yoruba political leadership, as mentioned by Balarabe Musa, has shown itself over the years to be incapable of rising above narrow tribal interests and reciprocating goodwill from other sections of the country by treating other groups with respect. Practically every crisis in Nigeria since independence has its roots in this attitude.

i. The Yoruba elite and area-boy politics;ii. Igbo marginalisation and the responsible limits of retribution; andiii. The Yoruba Factor and “Area-boy” Politics.

My views on the Yoruba political leadership have been thoroughly articulated in some of my writings, prime among which was ” Afenifere: Syllabus of Errors” published by This Day (The Sunday Newspaper) on Sept 27, 1998. There was also an earlier publication in the weekly Trust entitled ” The Igbo, the Yoruba and History” (Aug. 21, 1998).In sum, the Yoruba political leadership, as mentioned by Balarabe Musa, has shown itself over the years to be incapable of rising above narrow tribal interests and reciprocating goodwill from other sections of the country by treating other groups with respect. Practically every crisis in Nigeria since independence has its roots in this attitude. The Yoruba elite were the first, in 1962, to attempt a violent overthrow of an elected government in this country. In 1966, it was the violence in the West which provided an avenue for the putsch of 15th January. After Chief Awolowo lost to Shagari in 1983 elections, it was the discontent and bad publicity in the South-West which led to the Buhari intervention. When Buhari jailed UPN governors like Ige and Onabanjo, the South-Western press castigated that good government and provided the right mood for IBB to take over power. As soon as IBB cleared UPN governors of charges against them in a politically motivated retrial, he became the darling of the South-West. When IBB annulled the primaries in which Adamu Ciroma and Shehu Yar Adua emerged as presidential candidates in the NRC and SDP, he was hailed by the South-West. When the same man annulled the June 12, 1993 elections in which Abiola was the front-runner, the South-West now became defenders of democracy.

When it seemed Sani Abacha was sympathetic to Abiola, the South-West supported his take-over. He was in fact invited by a prominent NADECO member to take over in a published letter shortly before the event. Even though Abiola had won the elections in the North, the North was blamed for its annulment. When Abdulsalam Abubakar started his transition, the Yoruba political leadership through NADECO presented a memorandum on a Government of National Unity that showed complete disrespect for the intelligence and liberties of other Nigerians.Subsequently, they formed a tribal party which failed to meet minimum requirements for registration, but was registered all the same to avoid the violence that was bound to follow non-registration, given the area-boy mentality of South-West politicians. Having rejected an Obasanjo candidacy and challenged the election as a fraud in court, we now find a leading member of the AD in the government, a daughter of an Afenifere leader as Minister of State, and Awolowo´s daughter as Ambassador, all appointed by a man who won the election through fraud.

Meanwhile, nothing has been negotiated for the children of Abiola, the focus of Yoruba political activity. In return for these favours, the AD solidly voted for Evan Enwerem as Senate President. This is a man who participated in the two-million- man March for Abacha´s self-succession. He also is reputed to have hosted a meeting of governors during IBB´s transition, demanding that June 12 elections should never be de-annulled and threatening that the East would go to war if this was done. When Ibrahim Salisu Buhari was accused of swearing to a false affidavit, the Yoruba political elite correctly took up the gauntlet for his resignation.

When an AD governor, Bola Tinubu, swears to a false affidavit that he attended an Ivy League University which he did not attend, we hear excuses.

For so many years, the Yoruba have inundated this country with stories of being marginalised and of a civil service dominated by northerners through quota system. The Federal Character Commission has recently released a report which shows that the South-West accounts for 27.8% of civil servants in the range GL08 to GL14 and a full 29.5% of GL 15 and above. One zone out of six zones controls a full 30% of the civil service leaving the other five zones to share the remaining 70%. We find the same story in the economy, in academia, in parastatals.

Yet in spite of being so dominant, the Yoruba complained and complained of marginalization. Of recent, in recognition of the trauma which hit the South-West after June 12, the rest of the country forced everyone out of the race to ensure that a South-Westerner emerged, often against the best advice of political activists.

Instead of leading a path of reconciliation and strong appreciation, the Yoruba have embarked on short-sighted triumphalism, threatening other “nationalities” that they ( who after all lost the election) will protect Obasanjo ( who was forced on them). No less a person than Bola Ige has made such utterances.

To further show that they were in charge, they led a cult into the Hausa area of Sagamu, murdered a Hausa woman and nothing happened. In the violence that followed, they killed several Hausa residents, with Yoruba leaders like Segun Osoba, reminding Nigerians of the need to respect the culture of their host communities. This would have continued were it not for the people of Kanowho showed that they could also create their own Oro who would only be appeased through the shedding of innocent Yoruba blood.

I say all this, to support Balarabe Musa´s statement, that the greatest problem to nation-building in Nigeria are the Yoruba Bourgeoisie. I say this also to underscore my point that until they change this attitude, no conference can solve the problems of Nigeria. We cannot move forward if the leadership of one of the largest ethnic groups continues to operate, not like statesmen, but like common area boys.

Always quoting Hausa/fulani when it suits your argument.

12 Likes

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by Dereformer(m): 7:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:
trusting them: a mistake we must never repeat.

Never again brother. I say Never again.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
FolarinLondon:
I want you to read this with an open mind, impartiality and fault/pick the points/assertions/facts you think are not right from my write up. This is d story of Nigeria; Let's see who is at fault here cos we are always pick on Hausa/Fulanis............

Historically, Hausas/Fulanis formed alliance politically in the first republic while Yoruba party led by Obafemi Awolowo remained active in the west. (Igbos didn't see themselves as slaves to Hausas/Fulanis then cos they are not d Yorubas). Read on pls...

Igbos(Easterners) have always been an active members of every military/civilian government/administrations since the first republic and all the subsequent military administrations. Nnamdi Azikwe was a Governor-General/president while Tafawa Balewa was a prime minister while Yoruba politicians are only active the regional level. Nnamdi Azikwe party formed alliance with Hausa/Fulani party when the latter was unable to win a majority both and nobody screamed blue murder................(Igbos are friends with Hausas not slaves until Yorubas formed alliance with Hausa)

And before i go, Igbos-from Soludo, ezekweseli, Ngozi Iwela, Okadigbos, Adolp Wabara, Nnamani, Ekwerem, Thomas Aguiyi Ironsi, joy ogwu, Iyorcia Iyu, chukwuemeka chikelu, Frank Nweke, Lesley obiora, Okereke-Stock Xchange, DG Nafdac-Dora Akunyili dominated his administration and in Eastern quest to tagged that government a failed government, they failed to realise that it was their brothers and sisters in this goverment that failed cos Obasanjo wouldn't have able to single-handedly taken decisions while people like Nnamani, Okadigbo and Wabara are in Senate...........

And finally, can you now tell me who dominated this existing failed government? Igbos i presumed and d only active member of this administration is Akinwumi who is from Western part of the country and Stellah Oduah(Having seen what she did compare to no attempt in the past, she tried;my own opinion though and d corruption issue is a topic for another day)

South westerns will never support their own son who has been found guilty on corruption charges- Bankole, Bode George could only get things done politically in PDP but let them come to main Yoruba political sphere and see how they would be treated..................

britons
Re: Ojukwu's Letter To Yorubaman Banjo..."taking Our Destinies Into Our Hands" by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:33pm On Dec 31, 2014
theV0ice:

I agree whole heartedly with you. There's no way any right thinking Yoruba would accept those conditions. Ojukwu might have had clean and clear intentions but the wording of that letter and the list of conditions attached make it impossible to believe even today that he had any good intentions towards the Yoruba.

But even at that Banjo as I heard, still forged ahead on the suicide mission.

He was a military man and military men don't do diplomacy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator Godswill Akpabio Celebrates His Uncommon & Sweet Victory [Video &Photos] / Breaking: Governor Obaseki Joins PDP / Malami And His Unwavering Anti Corruption Stance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.