Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,806 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl (10892 Views)

Cost Of O2 Sensor For Toyota Corolla 2003. / Cost Of O2 Sensor / DIY: Replacing Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 On A V6 1998 Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:07pm On Jan 02, 2015
Reason: P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank1, Sensor2) angry

I Picked up this code sometime ago and while sourcing the brand new Denso aftermarket part the second dreaded code appeared...P0420 cheesy.
Plan: I will treat the P0141 first and see if it was what triggered the P0420. If the P0420 reappears then I replace the cat angry
Having ruled out other causes of this code eg broken fuse for this O2 sensor circuit (no 18 ACG on the under dash fuse box), I was left with replacing the O2 sensor.

A snapshot from my scanner when the first code appeared some months ago

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2015
Tools:

1. 10" wrench
2. O2 sensor socket 22" or 22" spanner which should be able to take the place of the O2 socket.

My tool for this task. 2nd pic is the O2 socket up close.

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:28pm On Jan 02, 2015
To begin you will first have to disconnect the connector and rubber grommet for the O2 sensor, these can be found under the front passenger seat.
Move the seat as forward as possible, then pull back the gap on the carpet this would reveal the connector (grey in colour) and the grommet (black and connected to the floor). Disconnect the connector and remove the grommet.

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:39pm On Jan 02, 2015
The secondary O2 sensor on this model is located on the catalytic converter on the underside of the vehicle, so raise and support the passenger side of the vehicle on jack stands. I supported but front and rear ends for better access. As always never work under an unsupported vehicle!

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:43pm On Jan 02, 2015
The O2 sensor attached to the catalytic converter and the heat shield in place.
Hmmm...the frayed O2 sensors wires may well be the reason for the malfunction...
The 2nd pic shows where the O2 sensor wire enters the vehicle via the rubber grommet.

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2015
Remove the 4 10" bolts holding the heat shield in place. I had to do this as the O2 socket that I have is not deep enough to reach the O2 sensor with the heat shield in place.

Heat shield off! (1st pic)

With the heat shield off, use the O2 socket to slacken the O2 sensor (anticlockwise). Haynes manual recommended running the engine for a minute or 2 before doing this(this should be before you disconnect the sensor connector). I did this first thing in the morning without starting the car and was surprised at how easy it was to slacken the sensor.

The 2nd pic shows the catalytic converter with the O2 sensor off.

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:54pm On Jan 02, 2015
With the slackened O2 sensor in place disconnect all the plastic connectors holding the O2 sensor wire, then remove the sensor
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 4:55pm On Jan 02, 2015
Old and new side by side...

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 5:09pm On Jan 02, 2015
You will now need to prepare the new O2 sensor. Harvest all the plastic connectors from the old O2 sensor, note the position of the first plastic connector i.e the one nearest to the old O2 sensor. Transplant this to the new O2 sensor taking into account the distance from the sensor. The remaining plastic connectors should be attached to their various positions on the underside of the vehicle.

Also note the position of the connector relative to the rubber grommet on both sensors, the new sensor should at least match this noted length, if not adjust, then use adhesive tape to secure the grommet to the O2 sensor wire, this is done on the connector side of the wire not on the O2 sensor side of the wire. The adhesive tape would ensure that the O2 sensor wire does not slip around. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of this.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 5:14pm On Jan 02, 2015
Next apply anti-seize to the threads of the new O2 sensor... Denso makes the OEM part however, I got the aftermarket Denso which is cheaper than the price on Honda sites. I believe it should be the same OEM stuff cheesy. Good enough, it came with anti-seize!

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 5:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
Replace the sensor in its place on the catalytic converter and follow the reverse steps. smiley

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by wura2020: 5:41pm On Jan 02, 2015
I am very impressed with your pictorial presentation. It will help a lot of DIY enthusiasts but mechanics will be cursing you for depriving them of an avenue to fleece motorists. Pls how do I get your type of scanner and how much does it cost? Can it scan Lexus GX470?

3 Likes

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 8:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
wura2020:
I am very impressed with your pictorial presentation. It will help a lot of DIY enthusiasts but mechanics will be cursing you for depriving them of an avenue to fleece motorists. Pls how do I get your type of scanner and how much does it cost? Can it scan Lexus GX470?

Thanks bud. I got the scanner in 2012 from Amazon for over 200GBP I know it will be cheaper now. Yes it would scan your powertrain, ABS, Transmission and SRS for ur Lexus.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by dhemmyhardy(m): 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2015
Hello @ wura2020 I have a good scanner I will like to sell if you
Are interested pls let me no you can contact me on 07035443363 or send
Me a whatapp so I can send you a pic of it. Thanks

Regards
Dhemmyhardy
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 9:08pm On Jan 02, 2015
After doing this, I've cleared the codes with the scanner, so far no CEL would keep driving and update...

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Nobody: 6:17am On Jan 03, 2015
where did u purchase the sensor and for what price?
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 10:46am On Jan 03, 2015
adeniyisavage:
where did u purchase the sensor and for what price?

I got the part number from a US Honda dealer site e.g. hondapartscheap.com but got it from Amazon.com for $47 I think.
I have since seen new Denso O2 sensors at coal camp market Enugu. So it should be available here
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by adanny01(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
Impressive!

You will get from my post on the water-in-ecu episode that i got the dreaded P0420 right after. I have decided to try installing the spark plug defouler inplace of the O2 sensor spacer in attempt to clear the code and eliminate the resultant open loop. I dont know were to get the spacer locally and the defouler is cheap.

My challenge is that my mechanic couldnt get the sensor loose. I will make a second attempt tomorrow but my fear is that the sensor may get damaged in the process of losing.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 11:23pm On Jan 03, 2015
adanny01:
Impressive!

You will get from my post on the water-in-ecu episode that i got the dreaded P0420 right after. I have decided to try installing the spark plug defouler inplace of the O2 sensor spacer in attempt to clear the code and eliminate the resultant open loop. I dont know were to get the spacer locally and the defouler is cheap.

My challenge is that my mechanic couldnt get the sensor loose. I will make a second attempt tomorrow but my fear is that the sensor may get damaged in the process of losing.

Piyke:
Remove the 4 10" bolts holding the heat shield in place. I had to do this as the O2 socket that I have is not deep enough to reach the O2 sensor with the heat shield in place.
Heat shield off! (1st pic)
With the heat shield off, use the O2 socket to slacken the O2 sensor (anticlockwise). Haynes manual recommended running the engine for a minute or 2 before doing this(this should be before you disconnect the sensor connector). I did this first thing in the morning without starting the car and was surprised at how easy it was to slacken the sensor.
The 2nd pic shows the catalytic converter with the O2 sensor off.

Has your P0420 come back after you cleared it? I'm guessing that by the time you drive to your mechanic, the whole assembly would be heated up as against turning on the car for a minute or 2 as recommended by Haynes. You may try this.

A simple test to confirm if your cat is actually bad is to hook up ur scanner in datastream mode, start the car and allow to get to operating temp (86deg at least) then hold your RPM at 3000 and observe the bank1sensor2 voltage reading, it should stick around 0.5volts. If it's reading keeps switching between lean n rich the cat may be out.

If it still proves difficult to slacken the O2 sensor, you may need to have a thread chaser handy just in case you damage the cat threads.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by adanny01(m): 11:53pm On Jan 03, 2015
Piyke:

Has your P0420 come back after you cleared it? I'm guessing that by the time you drive to your mechanic, the whole assembly would be heated up as against turning on the car for a minute or 2 as recommended by Haynes. You may try this.

A simple test to confirm if your cat is actually bad is to hook up ur scanner in datastream mode, start the car and allow to get to operating temp (86deg at least) then hold your RPM at 3000 and observe the bank1sensor2 voltage reading, it should stick around 0.5volts. If it's reading keeps switching between lean n rich the cat may be out.

If it still proves difficult to slacken the O2 sensor, you may need to have a thread chaser handy just in case you damage the cat threads.

Thanks and yes the cel came back after being cleared
4 times. Each time took at least 50miles to come back.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by lonelydora: 9:27am On Jan 04, 2015
adanny01:
Impressive!

Exactly my thought. I changed my sensors with new ones but the CEL came back after some journey to Akwa Ibom. I will try the spacer and defouler method once my mechanic comes back.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 1:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
lonelydora:

Exactly my thought. I changed my sensors with new ones but the CEL came back after some journey to Akwa Ibom. I will try the spacer and defouler method once my mechanic comes back.

What code were you having, P0141? have you ruled out a broken no 18 under dash fuse? I trust you used OEM grade replacements.

adanny01:

Thanks and yes the cel came back after being cleared
4 times. Each time took at least 50miles to come back.

Should be doing journeys well in excess of 100miles this week, so will see what happens. Although previously, once I clear the P0141 and drive some few miles it usually comes back. Will update new developments.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by adanny01(m): 2:02pm On Jan 04, 2015
Piyke:

I successfully unscrewed the O2 sensor this afternoon. However, the spark plug defouler would not fit in it while the threaded section of the defouler is smaller than the hole in the exhaust.

I ran a live scan after that with RPM at 3000 and the B1S2 voltage steadied at around 0.6volts. The range at idle was between 0.1-0.9 volts but sometimes passing 0.9 but not up to 1.0. See the max at the red marker in the screen shot below.

Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 5:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
adanny01:

I successfully unscrewed the O2 sensor this afternoon. However, the spark plug defouler would not fit in it while the threaded section of the defouler is smaller than the hole in the exhaust.

I ran a live scan after that with RPM at 3000 and the B1S2 voltage steadied at around 0.6volts. The range at idle was between 0.1-0.9 volts but sometimes passing 0.9 but not up to 1.0. See the max at the red marker in the screen shot below.

Don't know much about defoulers but I'm guessing there are larger sizes. I think the test reading looks good. What Ericthecarguy said to be bad is rapid switching between lean and rich.
Do you plan to hollow out the cat, before fitting the defouler?
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by adanny01(m): 8:21pm On Jan 04, 2015
Piyke:

Don't know much about defoulers but I'm guessing there are larger sizes. I think the test reading looks good. What Ericthecarguy said to be bad is rapid switching between lean and rich.
Do you plan to hollow out the cat, before fitting the defouler?

No, i wont.

By my understanding of the youtube videos i watched, its obvious that is not needed. By getting the P0142 does not mean the CAT is out of use but below threshold. The O2 spacer is to take the sensor away from the exhaust flow stream which makes the O2 detect a little more of oxygen and would seem a normal reading after the cat system produces less. Taking out the cat entirely would not help since the spacer will not be able to get some supply of O2. If the spacer fails to clear the code i will consider buying a used one.

However, its a challenge to buy a used one since even as expensive as it is being sold, you will have to drive atleast 100miles to know if your purchase is good enough not to produce the P0142. By that time my brothers in the mechanic wont take it back unless that dealer is too good.

For now, i will look to order the spacer from Amazon.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 8:27pm On Jan 09, 2015
adanny01:

No, i wont.

By my understanding of the youtube videos i watched, its obvious that is not needed. By getting the P0142 does not mean the CAT is out of use but below threshold. The O2 spacer is to take the sensor away from the exhaust flow stream which makes the O2 detect a little more of oxygen and would seem a normal reading after the cat system produces less. Taking out the cat entirely would not help since the spacer will not be able to get some supply of O2. If the spacer fails to clear the code i will consider buying a used one.

However, its a challenge to buy a used one since even as expensive as it is being sold, you will have to drive atleast 100miles to know if your purchase is good enough not to produce the P0142. By that time my brothers in the mechanic wont take it back unless that dealer is too good.

For now, i will look to order the spacer from Amazon.

Eventually you may need to gut out the cat, my bro had this same problem on his 03 Camry, from the time the P0420 appeared on his vehicle it took 2years plus for the car to come to the point where the car barely moved despite throttling. He finally gutted it and replaced with aftermarket cat and the CEL has been off for about a year now.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 8:31pm On Jan 09, 2015
I have now driven more than 150miles since replacing this downstream O2 sensor, no CEL. I would keep driving and see if it's now gone for good.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Piyke: 6:12pm On Jan 14, 2015
Piyke:
I have now driven more than 150miles since replacing this downstream O2 sensor, no CEL. I would keep driving and see if it's now gone for good.

I have now driven above 220miles since installing this o2 sensor...no CEL.

I think at this point I can say that the faulty O2 sensor was both responsible for the P0141 and the P0420 that came after some time of having the P0141.

My next update milestone will be 500miles.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by adanny01(m): 9:02am On Jan 15, 2015
Piyke:

Eventually you may need to gut out the cat, my bro had this same problem on his 03 Camry, from the time the P0420 appeared on his vehicle it took 2years plus for the car to come to the point where the car barely moved despite throttling. He finally gutted it and replaced with aftermarket cat and the CEL has been off for about a year now.

Yes i guess eventually i must. Instead of that i will fit a test pipe with an O2 space fabricated on it as i have read. The hollow section of empty CAT may not be a good thing for the engine and a straight pipe is recommended instead. For now, i want to try the spacer and if it fails, then the straight pipe thingy.

For now, most mechanics i have asked have no idea that a spacer of that dimension exist. Thats because most spark plugs threads are same but the nut are either 19 or 21mm while the O2 sensor has a bigger threading with 22mm. With the new $ exchange rates, the spacer is too expensive to make an orders. I think i can fabricate the spacer by welding a 22mm nut to a fitting pipe and having the other pipe threaded to correspond to the CAT O2 hole. It shouldn't cost more than 1k for labour and parts.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Emperoh(m): 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2015
adanny01:

Yes i guess eventually i must. Instead of that i will fit a test pipe with an O2 space fabricated on it as i have read. The hollow section of empty CAT may not be a good thing for the engine and a straight pipe is recommended instead. For now, i want to try the spacer and if it fails, then the straight pipe thingy.

For now, most mechanics i have asked have no idea that a spacer of that dimension exist. Thats because most spark plugs threads are same but the nut are either 19 or 21mm while the O2 sensor has a bigger threading with 22mm. With the new $ exchange rates, the spacer is too expensive to make an orders. I think i can fabricate the spacer by welding a 22mm nut to a fitting pipe and having the other pipe threaded to correspond to the CAT O2 hole. It shouldn't cost more than 1k for labour and parts.

Hmmmm, very instructive. I am coming up with my own 02 sensor and cat below threshold wahala.
Few mins, lemme scan the car.
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by adanny01(m): 8:59am On Jan 16, 2015
Emperoh:

Hmmmm, very instructive. I am coming up with my own 02 sensor and cat below threshold wahala.
Few mins, lemme scan the car.

Its going to be 24hrs soon. Waiting!
Re: DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl by Emperoh(m): 9:06am On Jan 16, 2015
adanny01:

Its going to be 24hrs soon. Waiting!

Nnam, sorry sir, i discovered the other thread you opened on the same issue and decided to post the pictures there so we don't derail this one.

Here's the link to the images

https://www.nairaland.com/2082280/what-cheapest-way-deal-p0420/1

(1) (2) (Reply)

Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership / I'm Now Ready For AC Work! / 5 Ways To Know Your Car More Than Your Mechanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.