Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? (5200 Views)

Can A Muslim Brother Approach A Muslim Lady During The Ramadan Fasting / The Arabic Origins Of Common Yoruba Words / Why Do Muslims Talk In Arabic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 2:22pm On Jan 03, 2015
[size=13pt]I'm a Christian who would like to become a Muslim. Both religions have so much in common, but I'm fascinated by the seriousness and devoutedness of the average Muslim.

The average Muslim is simple, honest and spiritually conscious. Their ladies are always looking decent especially with their wholesome way of dressing. I'm usually attracted to them.

I remember telling a Christian friend of mine that I would like a Muslim lady for a wife, and he, shocked, blatantly censured me... that he would 'disown' me as a friend. And I wondered if such a response was Christlike.

Anyway, the only hindrance I may have is the Arabic language. I'm not good at learning languages.

Please, before I accept the injunction below, I would like to know if I can be a good Muslim without being able to speak/recite with the Arabic language?
[/size]

1 Share

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by Mutuwa(m): 2:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
Arabic is secondry my brother.Just get there first.Where the arabic will come to play is when your observing your 5 daily prayers.usually its starting and ending is all in arabic.But have no fear and free your mind from doubt.That little voice pushing you to accept islam will surely guide you.By the time you realise you would be communicating in arabic fluently.
Just set up your mind,and let the almighty do the rest, in shaa Allahu. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by smallrincowis16(m): 3:34pm On Jan 03, 2015
that's not the first to do brother.
the first thing to do us to acquaint yourself to knowledgeable one,, I mean those that can put you through and teach you the basic principles of Islam.
knowing Arabic is if no necessary, what you just need is to know short verses that you will be using in prayer. but if you want to learn extensively it is welcome idea and a best option

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by mdbissalla(m): 3:47pm On Jan 03, 2015
Mutuwa:
Arabic is secondry my brother.Just get there first.Where the arabic will come to play is when your observing your 5 daily prayers.usually its starting and ending is all in arabic.But have no fear and free your mind from doubt.That little voice pushing you to accept islam will surely guide you.By the time you realise you would be communicating in arabic fluently.
'
truely, you have said it all.
OP, wat dis man said is enough to get u started, take that first step and Allah will do d rest for you. wish you the very best as u join Islam

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by usermane(m): 4:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
Shouldn't someone ready to accept Islam already know the answer to that question?

Anyway, whatever you do, be analytical about Islam. Like every other religions, there are facts and myth, truth and misconceptions, realities and deceptions about Islam. Do your homework thoroughly. Do not fall for the bandwagon, not all that glitters are gold.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by TunjiMsp: 5:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
The noble Quran has been translated for reading pleasure. So find the one that suits you and you are on your way to paradise. But it's important to seek for knowledge so that you can no more this religious of peace.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by eposho: 7:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
Man is not proficient in his mother thong but will want to learn fluent Arabic.
African mentality.
Download the app on Google at least its free.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by gatiano(m): 11:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
You do not need to be know arabic, however it is advisable to learn the arabic and for the christians to learn hebrew because that is the language with which the original scripts were written. and also there is no need but use a good translated Quran (i used Maulana Muhammad Ali english translation). one final piece of advice, never touch the hadith until you are a perfect scholar in the understanding of The Quran. The hadith was not written by Prophet Muhammad. in my opinion, all that you see happening in islamic world is because of the deviation from Muhammads' teachings and the hadith (which may have been misunderstood, but in reality the muslims do not need the hadith for the Quran is complete and balance and can be understood easily). All Faiths are nice when they are practised well for they provide spiritual growth.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 11:38pm On Jan 03, 2015
Mutuwa:
Amin. Thanks brother
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 11:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
smallrincowis16:
that's not the first to do brother.
the first thing to do us to acquaint yourself to knowledgeable one,, I mean those that can put you through and teach you the basic principles of Islam.
knowing Arabic is if no necessary, what you just need is to know short verses that you will be using in prayer. but if you want to learn extensively it is welcome idea and a best option

Do you mean an Imam for instance?
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 11:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
mdbissalla:

'
truely, you have said it all.
OP, wat dis man said is enough to get u started, take that first step and Allah will do d rest for you. wish you the very best as u join Islam
noted. Thanks brother
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 11:51pm On Jan 03, 2015
usermane:
Shouldn't someone ready to accept Islam already know the answer to that question?

Anyway, whatever you do, be analytical about Islam. Like every other religions, there are facts and myth, truth and misconceptions, realities and deceptions about Islam. Do your homework thoroughly. Do not fall for the bandwagon, not all that glitters are gold.
Of course I'm aware of misconceptions and deviations just like in any other religion. I read and ask questions and I can decipher the truth because it would strike a chord within me as being in line with the Will of Allah.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 11:56pm On Jan 03, 2015
Weah96:
Switching up Gods for the new year, heh? Jesus wasn't doing it for ya?
In modern Christianity, even you are referred to as a god. There's but one God!
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 11:57pm On Jan 03, 2015
TunjiMsp:
The noble Quran has been translated for reading pleasure. So find the one that suits you and you are on your way to paradise. But it's important to seek for knowledge so that you can no more this religious of peace.
already studying the English version.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 12:03am On Jan 04, 2015
gatiano:
You do not need to be know arabic, however it is advisable to learn the arabic and for the christians to learn hebrew because that is the language with which the original scripts were written. and also there is no need but use a good translated Quran (i used Maulana Muhammad Ali english translation). one final piece of advice, never touch the hadith until you are a perfect scholar in the understanding of The Quran. The hadith was not written by Prophet Muhammad. in my opinion, all that you see happening in islamic world is because of the deviation from Muhammads' teachings and the hadith (which may have been misunderstood, but in reality the muslims do not need the hadith for the Quran is complete and balance and can be understood easily). All Faiths are nice when they are practised well for they provide spiritual growth.
Noted, thanks. I'm quite aware of the challenges of translation, how a little wrong translation can bring about a huge misconceptions, but I just have to begin from whence I am, as I put my trust in Allah.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by Empiree: 6:32am On Jan 04, 2015
usermane:

wirelessssss:
Of course I'm aware of misconceptions and deviations just like in any other religion. I read and ask questions and I can decipher the truth because it would strike a chord within me as being in line with the Will of Allah.
I guess you wanted to say "can't" @bold?

This is a good answer to a clown. Imaging someone like you shows interest in the religion of Allah, someone like you being convinced Islam is the truth, and all you need is a little push to get there.

A clown ^ from nowhere thinks you are a kid. Trying to hypnotize you. Anyways, you have handsomely replied unbridled ignorant.

Quran says do not prevent people from Allah's way. It describes such people as disbelievers.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by DMainMan: 8:37am On Jan 04, 2015
If you sincerely want to be a muslim, admit this statement wholeheartedly and say Lailaha illala Muhamaddurrasullah.

Meaning: There is no god but ALLAH and Prophet Muhammed is the messenger of ALLAH.

You can also go to any nearby mosque.

Knowing Arabic is secondary as there is translation of the Holy Quran and Hadith to any language of your choice. You can but dat shouldnt b immediate. You need to understand d important pillars of Islam like Salat ( 5 daily prayers, Fasting in the month of Ramadan, etc).

You should have the intention dat u wanna revert to Islam not because u desire a Muslim lady or its principles but u believe wholeheartedly its concept as Islam is the only true religion.

If you need any assistance or wanna know about Islam, PM or email me:

dmainman@yahoo.com
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by DMainMan: 8:37am On Jan 04, 2015
wirelessssss:
[size=13pt]I'm a Christian who would like to become a Muslim. Both religions have so much in common, but I'm fascinated by the seriousness and devoutedness of the average Muslim.

The average Muslim is simple, honest and spiritually conscious. Their ladies are always looking decent especially with their wholesome way of dressing. I'm usually attracted to them.

I remember telling a Christian friend of mine that I would like a Muslim lady for a wife, and he, shocked, blatantly censured me... that he would 'disown' me as a friend. And I wondered if such a response was Christlike.

Anyway, the only hindrance I may have is the Arabic language. I'm not good at learning languages.

Please, before I accept the injunction below, I would like to know if I can be a good Muslim without being able to speak/recite with the Arabic language?
[/size]

If you sincerely want to be a muslim, admit this statement wholeheartedly and say Lailaha illala Muhamaddurrasullah.

Meaning: There is no god but ALLAH and Prophet Muhammed is the messenger of ALLAH.

Knowing Arabic is secondary as there is translation of the Holy Quran and Hadith to any language of your choice. You can but dat shouldnt b immediate. You need to understand d important pillars of Islam like Salat ( 5 daily prayers, Fasting in the month of Ramadan, etc).

You should have the intention dat u wanna revert to Islam not because u desire a Muslim lady or its principles but u believe wholeheartedly its concept as Islam is the only true religion.

dmainman@yahoo.com
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by smallrincowis16(m): 10:00am On Jan 04, 2015
wirelessssss:

Do you mean an Imam for instance?

not always that imam be knowledgeable...... the point is that you look very carefully at those you will scribe knowledge from them.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 04, 2015
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 04, 2015
This is undoubtedly a good and reasonable question. It shows the questioner is keen and meticulous.

Knowing how to read and write Arabic and understanding it are not conditions for being a Muslim. However, they might be conditions for attaining the very high levels of spirituality in Islam. Only Bearing witness that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is his Messenger makes you a Muslim, but not an ideal one. This is because there are many other acts of worship in Islam which all come together to deliver ideality to a Muslim.

After testifying that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is his Messenger, the next thing which is obligatory upon a Muslim is offering the five daily prayers. In these prayers, verses of the Qur-aan are recited and expressions and supplications are made only in Arabic. So a Muslim must know how to recite at least these verses and say these expressions and supplications in the Arabic language.

Apart from the little Arabic one needs to perfect these acts (the five daily prayers and other acts in which Arabic expressions are used), Learning Arabic as a language is not compulsory. But as every one knows, Arabic is the language of Islam; the Qur-aan is written in Arabic and the Hadeeth (sayings and tradition of the Prophet) are recorded in Arabic.

Trying to be the ideal Muslim necessitates that one strive towards understanding Islam fully. It necessitates that one not only be able to read the Qur-aan and Hadeeth but also be able to understand them and teach them to other people.

Some might argue that learning Arabic may not be so necessary as we have English translations of the Qur-aan and Islamic books originally written in Arabic. Little do they know, however, that the English translations available of the Islamic literature written in Arabic are very small in number.
They are so small in number that they do not suffice those who wish to be among those whom Allah says of in this verse : ........ none other than those who have knowledge fear Allah..... (Suurah Faatir, Verse 28), and of those whom the Prophet says : Whomsoever Allah loves He grants knowledge of the jurisprudence of Islam.

More so, learning Islam in Arabic language undoubtedly offers one more benefits, as one would in that case be learning through the pure and original language of Islam. This will enable us understand, appreciate and find more interest in learning Islam.

May Allah enable us all understand Arabic so that we can understand Islam better, preach it to others and be among its protectors.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 2:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
DMainMan:

dmainman@yahoo.com

Of a truth, there is no god but ALLAH and Prophet Muhammed is truly the messenger of ALLAH. - Lailaha illala Muhamaddurrasullah.

Briefly, though I'm a Deltan, I was born in the north, Kano precisely. Though we left before I was 9years due to the riot. Each time I'm in Abuja, I feel at home with the Muslims, I have this assurance that I cannot be cheated and all.
I guess that's fate.
Uhm, I wouldn't want to use the word 'desire', I'd prefer 'drawn', I'm usually drawn towards them.

What do I do when I approach a mosque? I'm really nervous about that sincerely.

Apart from the edition of the English translation of the Holy Quran mentioned above, do you have any you could recommend that I can download from the Android Market?
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by kemiola89(f): 2:15pm On Jan 04, 2015
Just like any other language Arabic is a language one can easily learn when you set your mind to it. You don't have to be perfect in Arabic language before accepting the shahada (declaration of faith) and performing solat, it doesn't really matter if you didn't get some words correctly at first, what's more important is your intention, as a Muslim every action begins with an intention.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
AbuuUsaamah:
This is undoubtedly a good and reasonable question. It shows the questioner is keen and meticulous.

Knowing how to read and write Arabic and understanding it are not conditions for being a Muslim. However, they might be conditions for attaining the very high levels of spirituality in Islam. Only Bearing witness that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is his Messenger makes you a Muslim, but not an ideal one. This is because there are many other acts of worship in Islam which all come together to deliver ideality to a Muslim.

After testifying that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is his Messenger, the next thing which is obligatory upon a Muslim is offering the five daily prayers. In these prayers, verses of the Qur-aan are recited and expressions and supplications are made only in Arabic. So a Muslim must know how to recite at least these verses and say these expressions and supplications in the Arabic language.

Apart from the little Arabic one needs to perfect these acts (the five daily prayers and other acts in which Arabic expressions are used), Learning Arabic as a language is not compulsory. But as every one knows, Arabic is the language of Islam; the Qur-aan is written in Arabic and the Hadeeth (sayings and tradition of the Prophet) are recorded in Arabic.

Trying to be the ideal Muslim necessitates that one strive towards understanding Islam fully. It necessitates that one not only be able to read the Qur-aan and Hadeeth but also be able to understand them and teach them to other people.

Some might argue that learning Arabic may not be so necessary as we have English translations of the Qur-aan and Islamic books originally written in Arabic. Little do they know, however, that the English translations available of the Islamic literature written in Arabic are very small in number.
They are so small in number that they do not suffice those who wish to be among those whom Allah says of in this verse : ........ none other than those who have knowledge fear Allah..... (Suurah Faatir, Verse 28), and of those whom the Prophet says : Whomsoever Allah loves He grants knowledge of the jurisprudence of Islam.

More so, learning Islam in Arabic language undoubtedly offers one more benefits, as one would in that case be learning through the pure and original language of Islam. This will enable us understand, appreciate and find more interest in learning Islam.

May Allah enable us all understand Arabic so that we can understand Islam better, preach it to others and be among its protectors.

I appreciate this; it hinges on the crux of the thread.

I had to take time to go through your comment. You have a good command of the English language. I also took note of your spelling of certain words. Might you be an Islamic scholar? Are you a Nigerian? You must be proficient in the Arabic language, right?
You differentiated between a Muslim (by profession of belief) and an ideal Muslim. The latter should be what every Muslim strives for.

But that's going to be a bit of a problem for me. I can't even speak fluently my mother tongue, though born in the north, I can't speak hausa. I was only able to pick the English language. I find it hard to twist my tongue.

Will I be required to take classes to learn how to recite at least some verses from the Qu-raan and say some expressions and supplication in the Arabic language?

I understand that an attempt to translate can only render the meaning of the original message approximately, never precisely; hence the need to learn the original language. But I know myself to an extent hence the reason for this thread.

I appreciate your input.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
kemiola89:
Just like any other language Arabic is a language one can easily learn when you set your mind to it. You don't have to be perfect in Arabic language before accepting the shahada (declaration of faith) and performing solat, it doesn't really matter if you didn't get some words correctly at first, what's more important is your intention, as a Muslim every action begins with an intention.
Encouraging words for starters. Quite appreciated.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by DMainMan: 4:06pm On Jan 04, 2015
wirelessssss:

Of a truth, there is no god but ALLAH and Prophet Muhammed is truly the messenger of ALLAH. - Lailaha illala Muhamaddurrasullah.

Briefly, though I'm a Deltan, I was born in the north, Kano precisely. Though we left before I was 9years due to the riot. Each time I'm in Abuja, I feel at home with the Muslims, I have this assurance that I cannot be cheated and all.
I guess that's fate.
Uhm, I wouldn't want to use the word 'desire', I'd prefer 'drawn', I'm usually drawn towards them.

Apart from the edition of the English translation of the Holy Quran mentioned above, do you have any you could recommend that I can download from the Android Market?

wirelessssss:

I guess that's fate.

Sahih Bukhari and Muslim Hadith English translation on Android.

U might also go to d following websites:

http://islam.about.com/od/basicbeliefs/p/intro.htm

http://www.muslimconverts.com/prayer/beginners_prayer.htm

http://www.muslimconverts.com

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1333/

As regards mosque, go to anyone and tell them you are a new convert and u wanna learn about the religion. U can as well as ask the Imam to guide and teach u d basic concepts of Islam. U can tell him to pray for you and u can also declare d statement to everyone "Lailaha Illala Muhammadurrasullulah''. U can also tell d Imam to declare d announcement of a preferred Islamic name.

Where do u currently live?

May ALLAH guide us all and make Jannah ( Paradise) our abode. Amin.

ZeeZie, Keyana, Maclatunji, tbaba1234, sissie, kemiola89, wizeboy and others might also want to do justice to your question?
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by maclatunji: 4:09pm On Jan 04, 2015
Yes you can. I will try to post more useful stuff later InshaAllah

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by Rilwayne001: 5:21pm On Jan 04, 2015
wirelessssss:

I'm a Deltan,

A deltan?

Hmmm, someone comes to mind.

Salam bro.
Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
wirelessssss:

I appreciate this; it hinges on the crux of the thread.

I had to take time to go through your comment. You have a good command of the English language. I also took note of your spelling of certain words. Might you be an Islamic scholar? Are you a Nigerian? You must be proficient in the Arabic language, right?
You differentiated between a Muslim (by profession of belief) and an ideal Muslim. The latter should be what every Muslim strives for.

But that's going to be a bit of a problem for me. I can't even speak fluently my mother tongue, though born in the north, I can't speak hausa. I was only able to pick the English language. I find it hard to twist my tongue.

Will I be required to take classes to learn how to recite at least some verses from the Qu-raan and say some expressions and supplication in the Arabic language?

I understand that an attempt to translate can only render the meaning of the original message approximately, never precisely; hence the need to learn the original language. But I know myself to an extent hence the reason for this thread.

I appreciate your input.

Alhamdulillah. I am a Nigerian and am only a student of knowledge. I pray that Allah make me a scholar soon.

Do not worry about the difficulty of learning Arabic as Allah is the One who eases the affairs of His sincere slaves. Sometimes we find things which are supposedly difficult so easy only when we try doing them.

More so, for someone like you who has a good command of written English and who supposedly has that of spoken English too, Arabic will not be a problem inshaa Allah. Good English speakers are generally better at Arabic than speakers of the native Nigerian languages.

You however have to learn the little Arabic you need for these acts of worship as soon as possible. You'll have to go to your local mosque and tell them you are a newbie. Tell them you need them to teach you the basic things you need to know; how to pray, and every other thing related to that.

I really feel we should have a private chat. Please text me on Whatsapp: 08189264462.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Can I Become A Muslim Without Proficiency In The Arabic Language? by wirelessssss(m): 4:29pm On Jan 05, 2015
DMainMan:

Sahih Bukhari and Muslim Hadith English translation on Android.

U might also go to d following websites:

http://islam.about.com/od/basicbeliefs/p/intro.htm

http://www.muslimconverts.com/prayer/beginners_prayer.htm

http://www.muslimconverts.com

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1333/

As regards mosque, go to anyone and tell them you are a new convert and u wanna learn about the religion. U can as well as ask the Imam to guide and teach u d basic concepts of Islam. U can tell him to pray for you and u can also declare d statement to everyone "Lailaha Illala Muhammadurrasullulah''. U can also tell d Imam to declare d announcement of a preferred Islamic name.

Where do u currently live?

May ALLAH guide us all and make Jannah ( Paradise) our abode. Amin.

ZeeZie, Keyana, Maclatunji, tbaba1234, sissie, kemiola89, wizeboy and others might also want to do justice to your question?
Amin. Thanks bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Reward Of Children Performing Hajj? / Mysterious Baby in IJESHA, LAGOS. (It happened Real) / Islamic Jokes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.