Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc (6343 Views)

How To Upgrade Your ND And HND Certificate To BSC - See Step / Federal Polytechnic Ede 2015\2016 Admission. Nd Pt,daily Pt,ft & Hnd Is Out / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by kinibigdeal(m): 8:30pm On Jan 03, 2015
This is in contrast to the write up created by Dr.Funmi "Tagged" 8 Reasons why Bsc is superior to HND". Though, his first paragraph doesnt abrade any controversies but the subsequents were too abased to the fact accrued. May i start by seeking the indulgence of the powerful Moderators here because i want to try as much as possible to avoid any form of altercation. Hence, i will be ambidextrous to use some of his points as a back up.

1. Entrance Qualification

The fact that the universities cut of mark is higher than that of the polytechnics does not justify the quality of the universities in Nigeria. It is rather apochyphal that some universities intentionally pull up their cut off mark in other to accomodate the high placed children over the less priviledge ones, this is rather too appalling. The first ever JAMB i took, i scored 245 beating the cut off mark of a particular university in Lagos stated as 60 while i scored 62, yet my name was not found on the first, second list. The shocking revelation my parents got from a particular lecturer whom we taught might help, altenuate any further attempt. The fact that the polytechnic accept a minimum of 4 credit(which is unfounded) in WASSCE/NECO shows the Avordupois(weight) of quality they possess which is an added advantage in Human capacity development than Certificate capacity development (CCD).

2. Quality of Lecturers

It is a balm to say that the university lecturers possessed a "Band" called PhD better than that of the polytechnic lecturers. A friend of mine graduated from the most famous private university in ogun state(2:1,chemical engineering), he told me in quote " one of our professor's doesnt even know how to apply the practical application of what he taught us, all he does, is to give us handout to memorize, though i graduated with 2:1 but with no practical knowledge to show up". To back up the aforementioned, i have handled a building project owned by a professor of construction management. To my amazement, i have read a lot of books, journals written by this same professor when i was in school but unfortunately, i have to be interpreting a simple structural/Building plan before he can understand better and i am just a trained Technologist(HND) by this polytechnic lecturers with no PHD or whatever. In the construction industry of today, No foreigner will ever choose a BSc holder over an HND holder(i stand corrected) because performance goes with profit and profit goes with experience. If i dont have a PhD but possess the practical knowledge to breed "Entrepreneur" i think am better off than a "Theoretical Entreprenuers". The easiest difference between the university lecturers and their counterparts is that, the university lecturers communicate in theory without practical while the polytechnic lecturers possess both attributes. It is left for you to choose the one you prefers.

3. Research work

I dont need to create any circumlocution about the incessant research work carried out by the universities but i will rather call such research work a"Churlish(Ill-breed) with no target for improvement, innovations, Technology but "Ego" on the numbers of papers they have written or rather the numbers of researchers that have cite their works. The polytechnic communicates with feasibility rather than paper guess. I remember the project(Group project) we did during my ND days, we were told to construct a 3 storey building using a cladding materials our supervisor saw when he traveled abroad. It took us a serious research and brainstorming before we could get the methodology right, and that was just at a lower class. How on earth will a degree holder with the same course background now dictate for such person in the industry? If that be the case, i think Nigerian economy is hovering towards conflagration.

4. Funding

I vividly remember clearly during the ASUU strike that the universities were accused of mis-appropriation of funds. With those huge funds allocated to them, what is the quality of their products? In project management, for you to have a quality product that will satisfy your client or customer, one of the factors you consider is fund. Therefore, if the universities are well funded as claimed by Dr. funmi, Are employees(representing clients) satisfy with their products(degree holders)? If yes, why do we still read complains on papers about "Half baked graduates"? Who do we blame here, the products or those producing it?. Hence, the political will of ASUU cannot be over-emphasized. Meaning ASUU is stronger politically than ASUP.

5. Quality of Student

Yes! the point that the polytechnic consist of dejected, not so young students who have written UTME many times is partially correct but the situation of Nigeria can be a suspected factors in this regards. But trust me, after 1st, 2nd year in the polytechnic, most of the dejected students now prefers the polytechnic to the university because of the "entreprenuership skill" gained within a short period of time. At this point, i disagree that the university graduates are of higher intellectual quality than the polytechnic graduates. I'll say let the industry decide.

6. Size and Beauty of campus

Am surprise this factor was included among the reasons why (Dr. Funmi) thought a BSc is better than HND. I can still mention some universities in the south-South, Northern Nigeria that are not up to standard but a replicate of the polytechnic or even worse than expression. I think the size of any institution is determined by the numbers of course offered while i wont venture into the argument of appearance because is of no use.

7. Preference/Demand

The consternation of a degree over the HND was apparent when the economy of the world was still at is climax or culmination, during those peripd a degree holder was more superior than their counterparts in the labour market but after the global economic melt down, there was high retrenchment, loss of jobs, companies now seek other alternative(HND) to remain in business and not to whine down. In nigeria of today, only few companies(Majorly administrative like KPMG, few oil firm) prefers a degree over HND as the two are now at par. Most online job advert now state either of the two.

8. Self Esteem

An HND holder that is not confident enough inspite of his rich practical background should work on himself better. That does not mean those that are not confident enough are half baked, some prefers to interprete what they know by practical than just an inconclusive mere talk. Self esteem is inbuilt, if you dont have it, train your mindset to have it. I think the polytechnic graduates are better off in this area because they have the picture of what they want to defend than putting their brain under a deletenous stress of recalling what theu cram in school.

conclusion

HND courses help you develop valuable technical and vocational skills. The profession you wish to pursue will affect your particular skill development. An HND holder possess the following "Transferable skills" aside the technical skills which their counterpart lacks

1. Numerical skills
2. Critical, analytical and problem solving skills
3. Organisation 4. Time management
5. Decision making 6. Self discipline
7. Team work 8. Leadership and flexibility

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
Ok...But go through your write up again and make appropriate emendations.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Deapexboy(m): 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
Op are u high on weed ni?

If this thing still dey vex you,GO AND PROTEST

stop the crap...

Since u said HND IS SUPERIOR to Bsc

hmmm. Thats to say ND is superior to HND,

Bsc is also superior to Msc

and Msc is superior to Phd

after ur ND y did u continue so as to get HND...y not remain ND HOLDER and start to compare ND to HND

after ur O,level why u go high institution

why not compare O,level to NCE,ND and HND

ansa my question or u pack well
after-all no b jamb force u go poly?? tongue tongue tongue

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
I concur and an hnd holder is immediately self employed unless he or she just pass thru school and d school didn't pass thru them...u can get a job with an ND cert,and even when u r still in school like d I.E.S dept,u start collecting contract..like d architects or the QS
kinibigdeal:
This is in contrast to the write up created by Dr.Funmi "Tagged" 8 Reasons why Bsc is superior to HND". Though, his first paragraph doesnt abrade any controversies but the subsequents were too abased to the fact accrued. May i start by seeking the indulgence of the powerful Moderators here because i want to try as much as possible to avoid any form of altercation. Hence, i will be ambidextrous to use some of his points as a back up.

1. Entrance Qualification

The fact that the universities cut of mark is higher than that of the polytechnics does not justify the quality of the universities in Nigeria. It is rather apochyphal that some universities intentionally pull up their cut off mark in other to accomodate the high placed children over the less priviledge ones, this is rather too appalling. The first ever JAMB i took, i scored 245 beating the cut off mark of a particular university in Lagos stated as 60 while i scored 62, yet my name was not found on the first, second list. The shocking revelation my parents got from a particular lecturer whom we taught might help, altenuate any further attempt. The fact that the polytechnic accept a minimum of 4 credit(which is unfounded) in WASSCE/NECO shows the Avordupois(weight) of quality they possess which is an added advantage in Human capacity development than Certificate capacity development (CCD).

2. Quality of Lecturers

It is a balm to say that the university lecturers possessed a "Band" called PhD better than that of the polytechnic lecturers. A friend of mine graduated from the most famous private university in ogun state(2:1,chemical engineering), he told me in quote " one of our professor's doesnt even know how to apply the practical application of what he taught us, all he does, is to give us handout to memorize, though i graduated with 2:1 but with no practical knowledge to show up". To back up the aforementioned, i have handled a building project owned by a professor of construction management. To my amazement, i have read a lot of books, journals written by this same professor when i was in school but unfortunately, i have to be interpreting a simple structural/Building plan before he can understand better and i am just a trained Technologist(HND) by this polytechnic lecturers with no PHD or whatever. In the construction industry of today, No foreigner will ever choose a BSc holder over an HND holder(i stand corrected) because performance goes with profit and profit goes with experience. If i dont have a PhD but possess the practical knowledge to breed "Entrepreneur" i think am better off than a "Theoretical Entreprenuers". The easiest difference between the university lecturers and their counterparts is that, the university lecturers communicate in theory without practical while the polytechnic lecturers possess both attributes. It is left for you to choose the one you prefers.

3. Research work

I dont need to create any circumlocution about the incessant research work carried out by the universities but i will rather call such research work a"Churlish(Ill-breed) with no target for improvement, innovations, Technology but "Ego" on the numbers of papers they have written or rather the numbers of researchers that have cite their works. The polytechnic communicates with feasibility rather than paper guess. I remember the project(Group project) we did during my ND days, we were told to construct a 3 storey building using a cladding materials our supervisor saw when he traveled abroad. It took us a serious research and brainstorming before we could get the methodology right, and that was just at a lower class. How on earth will a degree holder with the same course background now dictate for such person in the industry? If that be the case, i think Nigerian economy is hovering towards conflagration.

4. Funding

I vividly remember clearly during the ASUU strike that the universities were accused of mis-appropriation of funds. With those huge funds allocated to them, what is the quality of their products? In project management, for you to have a quality product that will satisfy your client or customer, one of the factors you consider is fund. Therefore, if the universities are well funded as claimed by Dr. funmi, Are employees(representing clients) satisfy with their products(degree holders)? If yes, why do we still read complains on papers about "Half baked graduates"? Who do we blame here, the products or those producing it?. Hence, the political will of ASUU cannot be over-emphasized. Meaning ASUU is stronger politically than ASUP.

5. Quality of Student

Yes! the point that the polytechnic consist of dejected, not so young students who have written UTME many times is partially correct but the situation of Nigeria can be a suspected factors in this regards. But trust me, after 1st, 2nd year in the polytechnic, most of the dejected students now prefers the polytechnic to the university because of the "entreprenuership skill" gained within a short period of time. At this point, i disagree that the university graduates are of higher intellectual quality than the polytechnic graduates. I'll say let the industry decide.

6. Size and Beauty of campus

Am surprise this factor was included among the reasons why (Dr. Funmi) thought a BSc is better than HND. I can still mention some universities in the south-South, Northern Nigeria that are not up to standard but a replicate of the polytechnic or even worse than expression. I think the size of any institution is determined by the numbers of course offered while i wont venture into the argument of appearance because is of no use.

7. Preference/Demand

The consternation of a degree over the HND was apparent when the economy of the world was still at is climax or culmination, during those peripd a degree holder was more superior than their counterparts in the labour market but after the global economic melt down, there was high retrenchment, loss of jobs, companies now seek other alternative(HND) to remain in business and not to whine down. In nigeria of today, only few companies(Majorly administrative like KPMG, few oil firm) prefers a degree over HND as the two are now at par. Most online job advert now state either of the two.

8. Self Esteem

An HND holder that is not confident enough inspite of his rich practical background should work on himself better. That does not mean those that are not confident enough are half baked, some prefers to interprete what they know by practical than just an inconclusive mere talk. Self esteem is inbuilt, if you dont have it, train your mindset to have it. I think the polytechnic graduates are better off in this area because they have the picture of what they want to defend than putting their brain under a deletenous stress of recalling what theu cram in school.

conclusion

HND courses help you develop valuable technical and vocational skills. The profession you wish to pursue will affect your particular skill development. An HND holder possess the following "Transferable skills" aside the technical skills which their counterpart lacks

1. Numerical skills
2. Critical, analytical and problem solving skills
3. Organisation 4. Time management
5. Decision making 6. Self discipline
7. Team work 8. Leadership and flexibility
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by kinibigdeal(m): 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
Deapexboy:
Op are u high on weed ni?

If this thing still dey vex you,GO AND PROTEST

stop the crap...

Since u said HND IS SUPERIOR to Bsc

hmmm. Thats to say ND is superior to HND,

Bsc is also superior to Msc

and Msc is superior to Phd

after ur ND y did u continue so as to get HND...y not remain ND HOLDER and start to compare ND to HND

after ur O,level why u go high institution

why not compare O,level to NCE,ND and HND

ansa my question or u pack well
after-all no b jamb force u go poly?? tongue tongue tongue

I actually find it hard to comprehend what you wrote.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by DrFunmi(f): 8:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
I am sorry to disagree with you OP.

BSc is far superior to HND.
Why is it that you need a PGD to proceed to MSc while an BSc graduate can enrol directly into MSc.
A BSc holder can get to the pinnacle of academic quest (professorship) but this is rather difficult if not impossible with HND.
I am not a hater of HND and I am against any form of discrimination. I have siblings that are HND holders. But the truth has to be said to be said in plain terms: BSc is just better. It is better to accept the fact and then work hard to overcome the challenge rather than deny the obvious truth. I wish both BSc and HND holders success.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by kinibigdeal(m): 8:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

Meaning i also disagree with yours.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by resty4(m): 8:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
God bless you. Nigeria economy will remain stagnant as long as the people [nd and hnd] are not given their proper place in the country, eliminate the sagregation against this class and de-emphasize certification.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Deapexboy(m): 8:59pm On Jan 03, 2015
kinibigdeal:

I actually find it hard to comprehend what you wrote.

i don't expect u to comprehend

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Deapexboy(m): 9:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

Why is it that you need a PGD to proceed to MSc while an BSc graduate can enrol directly into MSc.
A BSc holder can get to the pinnacle of academic quest (professorship) but this is rather difficult if not impossible with HND.
I am not a hater of HND and I am against any form of discrimination. I have siblings that are HND holders. But the truth has to be said to be said in plain terms: BSc is just better. It is better to accept the fact and then work hard to overcome the challenge rather than deny the obvious truth. I wish both BSc and HND holders success.
However, to all the HND holders who find it hard to accept the bitter truth, I have just 3 words for them - GO AND DIE!! tongue

tel them to go nd cary green leafs(protest)
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by ritababe(f): 9:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
I dey come make i sleep small.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by ritababe(f): 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
University= theory
polytechnic= practical

technically i will choose practical over theory anyday.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Rexsul: 9:13pm On Jan 03, 2015
So y r Polytechnic lecturers University graduates? I wonda hw some pple Think sad

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Nastydroid(m): 9:18pm On Jan 03, 2015
I smell fp
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by zebra(m): 9:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
Rexsul:
So y r Polytechnic lecturers University graduates? I wonda hw some pple Think sad
Not all of them. Some are polytechnic graduates.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Mixty: 9:30pm On Jan 03, 2015
Medicine after death, OP.
I am sure you are biting the dust in sorrow for not studying in the university.

BSc is superior!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by fflamingo(m): 9:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
Bro, I hate to admit these but a Bsc is better in every ramifications. I presently owned a national diploma (upper credit) office management. During my industrial training I saw how my fellow hnd worker toiled so hard. I mean 8am-5pm yet they were never expecting promotion any soon (yes I secretly saw their employment files with the HR). It is synonymous to monkey dey work, babbon dey chop. yes right from time I never nurse an ambition of working for anybody, but you start from somewhere. That somewhere am sorry I repeat "doesn't start with Hnd". I passionately loved how rigorously I passed/enjoyed every experiment/practical that passed my way during my diploma days but I now see them valueless as the first impression matters most and my dear hnd will not offer. I will also love to admit that most recruiters/HR agent knows how capable a HND graduate could be but they just don't make them the top choice. Well am in my twenties, I just registered for jamb again and diss the admission I was given by kwara-poly for my higher national diplomas. But the memory of building a 4year course again makes me feel sick. Depressed if you may add!

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by kinibigdeal(m): 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
Rexsul:

Proof please..don't talk from what you think
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by zebra(m): 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
Why do so many uni graduates brag with their professors? Why do they see them as gods? These same people that have not been able to develop nor improve anything in Nigeria.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by kayusbrown(m): 10:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
@OP I don't think a new topic is necessary. A new topic amounts to playing DrFunmi's game of denigrating perceived competitors. Some of us already gave a point by point rebuttal in DrFunmi's thread just for the records. The HND/B.Sc. dichotomy usually generate endless debates in this forum. The degree holders usually launch the attack while HND holders fight back. Nothing other than ego massaging is achieved on both side at the end of the day.

The discrimination is one of the injustices in Nigeria and it's sad that it is already deeply entrenched. There is a bill presently in the Senate seeking an end to the issue and it has already scaled through second reading. One thing is however clear, until this issue is resolved and premium placed on technical education, Nigeria will continue to remain a slave to foreign technologies and a predominantly consuming economy.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 03, 2015
My believe is any B.sc graduate or student who creates a B.sc/HND disparity thread is either a 3rd class student or graduate who feels threatened by the existence of the polytechnic or one of those studying a course with no job prospect.It's also very possible anyone who created such topic got in 2ru d back door like most of the uni students do.

Many have argued that HND graduates don't get promoted or are pegged at grade level 14, this is just as a result of government's insensitivity towards our institutions. Even our universities suffer the same fate but they say a one-eyed is the king in the kingdom of the blind.

I happend to have a B.sc in view and ND too, both in engineering and i can only say the society has been poisoned with spurious believe and our polys have drown deep in mud, beyond redemption.

In my first jamb, i scored 251, passed post utme but was denied admission while many who score less found their names on merit list, they shared d testimonies on this nairaland. Favouritism, corruption, tribalism and other things are the criteria for admission in 90% of our institutions. I opted for the polytechnic and today, i have no regret spending two years there.

Now, i am in d uni and i still have my intelligent frnds struggling for a uni admission too to avoid suffering similar fate our predecessors suffered. It then occured to me that most of u in d uni are here by chance, u could be in the poly.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by tosyne2much(m): 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2015
Another FP worthy thread
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by QSheba: 11:13pm On Jan 03, 2015
If HND was superior to Bsc why did you apply to a uni in the first place undecided

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by zebra(m): 11:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
QSheba:
If HND was superior to Bsc why did you apply to a uni in the first place undecided
it is! Based on the knowledge and skills the poly graduates come out with, i believe it is. Apart from courses like medicine, vet medicine, pharmacy, law, and other courses that are restricted to uni alone, i think poly graduates come out better than uni graduates in courses such as engineering, architecture, surveying, comp sci, statistics, accounting, mgt, bus admin, etc that are offered in both uni and poly.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by deeplow: 11:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
I wont even argue with anything you have written, but I saw a polytechnic graduate at a police station in Lagos today. She wrote a statement, and the I.P.O, who is an ordinary primary school leaving certificate holder, told her she wrote nonsense. She couldn't spell mother, couldn't spell simple english words. I was embarrassed.

Also, I have been to many polytechnics and interacted with some of them. While I agree that there are brilliant polytechnic students, I believe they make up just about 15 percent of the total population of the school.

if you assemble 20 students( uni and poly), you dont have to spend more than 5 minutes with them before you can single out the polytechnic students. From the way they dress, speak, behave. e.t.c . Anyway, just had to get that off my chest. My advice to anybody seeking admission, try to get a University Education at all cost.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
zebra:
it is! Based on the knowledge and skills the poly graduates come out with, i believe it is. Apart from courses like medicine, vet medicine, pharmacy, law, and other courses that are restricted to uni alone, i think poly graduates come out better than uni graduates in courses such as engineering, architecture, surveying, comp sci, statistics, accounting, mgt, bus admin, etc that are offered in both uni and poly.
Mr Man! Polytechincs don't offer engineering! They offer Engineering technology...Poly graduates are technicians not Engineers! That's the problem with dis country! Everybody tinks he/she is Head..just know ur place in the society and dis country will move forward

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by Mixty: 11:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
deeplow:
I wont even argue with anything you have written, but I saw a polytechnic graduate at a police station in Lagos today. She wrote a statement, and the I.P.O, who is an ordinary primary school leaving certificate holder, told her she wrote nonsense. She couldn't spell mother, couldn't spell simple english words. I was embarrassed.

Also, I have been to many polytechnics and interacted with some of them. While I agree that there are brilliant polytechnic students, I believe they make up just about 15 percent of the total population of the school.

if you assemble 20 students( uni and poly), you dont have to spend more than 5 minutes with them before you can single out the polytechnic students. From the way they dress, speak, behave. e.t.c . Anyway, just had to get that off my chest. My advice to anybody seeking admission, try to get a University Education at all cost.
Most sensible and unbiased comments. Take the OP's write-up for instance. Does it make any sense at all? Like you said, there are dull and bright students everywhere, but the higher population of dull and/or unenlightened strudents can be found in the polytechnics.

Very true analysis. 1000+ likes
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by zebra(m): 11:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
deeplow:

I think u're drifting from the main argument. The argument is about who comes out better with knowledge and skills ready to work, and not about dressing, swag and all that. I've seen uni students and graduates who also can't write simple applications free from spelling errors, it happens to both uni and poly graduates in Nigeria.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by liveyourlife: 11:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
This thread. hmm!
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by zebra(m): 11:59pm On Jan 03, 2015
Osahon7:
Mr Man! Polytechincs don't offer engineering! They offer Engineering technology...Poly graduates are technicians not Engineers! That's the problem with dis country! Everybody tinks he/she is Head..just know ur place in the society and dis country will move forward
Yes Mr man too, i never said poly graduates in engineering were engineers. Point of correction here, they are called engineering technologist when they graduate with HND and not technicians. ND holders are the technicians. They all play their roles excellently well as technologists and technicians because of the training they got in the polytechnics unlike the uni engineers that hardly come up with designs. Funny enough in Nigeria today the technologists design by themselves since the engineers can't come up with robust designs for them.
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by geedot: 12:17am On Jan 04, 2015
LARRYDKING:
My believe is any B.sc graduate or student who creates a B.sc/HND disparity thread is either a 3rd class student or graduate who feels threatened by the existence of the polytechnic or one of those studying a course with no job prospect.It's also very possible anyone who created such topic got in 2ru d back door like most of the uni students do.

Many have argued that HND graduates don't get promoted or are pegged at grade level 14, this is just as a result of government's insensitivity towards our institutions. Even our universities suffer the same fate but they say a one-eyed is the king in the kingdom of the blind.

I happend to have a B.sc in view and ND too, both in engineering and i can only say the society has been poisoned with spurious believe and our polys have drown deep in mud, beyond redemption.

In my first jamb, i scored 251, passed post utme but was denied admission while many who score less found their names on merit list, they shared d testimonies on this nairaland. Favouritism, corruption, tribalism and other things are the criteria for admission in 90% of our institutions. I opted for the polytechnic and today, i have no regret spending two years there.

Now, i am in d uni and i still have my intelligent frnds struggling for a uni admission too to avoid suffering similar fate our predecessors suffered. It then occured to me that most of u in d uni are here by chance, u could be in the poly.
And polytechnics always admit ☺̴̩̩̥̩̩̩π merit?
Their admission process is far worse than the University's own!
When the quality of the admitted student is very low, tell me how it won't affect the quality of the graduates injected out?
And about passing high and still not get admitted, Jυƨτ to mention few, UI, OAU, UNILAG etc admits students ☺̴̩̩̥̩̩̩π merit once you meet the merit cut-off unless you had a deficient in your Olevel ӨЯ a wrong jamb combination!
Re: Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc by zebra(m): 12:18am On Jan 04, 2015
At this point i think I agree with th OP on this because despite the lack of professors in d polytechnics as claimed by some uni graduates, inadequate funds, and all that, the polytechnic graduates still come out well skilled and knowledgeable to handle jobs and tasks, while the uni graduates come out naive and unskilled waiting to be trained on how to carry out the job or task.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EKSU Sacked 1000 Lecturers: Nigerians React. PHOTOS / Uniben Lecture Session Photo Stirs Controversy On Facebook [PHOTOS] / Nestle Nigeria Siwes Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.