Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' (5229 Views)

Nigerian Changes Chewing Gum's Expiry Date / Difference Between Butter And Mangerine / Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
Please I really need to know.. Why is it that some items have BB date on their wrappers or packaging, while some have expiry dates, what's the difference..
I believe that the BB date means that the food item is in its best condition before that said date, and not totally bad and still consumable after the Best Before date but expiry date means that the food item is now totally bad and unsafe from that date..
What exactly is the difference between these two?
I also observed that Best Before is used for food items why expiry date is used for cosmetics, drugs, chemicals etc...
Why is it so?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by darisgod(m): 8:39pm On Jan 03, 2015
Ummmm
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by simplemach(m): 8:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
After best before date, you can still manage the thing but after expiry date, the thing don baje be that. Personal opinion o
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 8:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
simplemach:
After best before date, you can still manage the thing but after expiry date, the thing don baje be that. Personal opinion o
That's exactly what I think...
How about the second observation, any clue(s)?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by cutieberie1(f): 8:53pm On Jan 03, 2015
its best b4 d expiry date...lol...
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by ritababe(f): 9:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
BBED= best before expiry date
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 9:24pm On Jan 03, 2015
cutieberie1:
its best b4 d expiry date...lol...
And worst after the expiry date?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
ritababe:
BBED= best before expiry date
Kul... You try!!!
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by ritababe(f): 9:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
Whizpeter:

Kul... You try!!!

thnks
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by freethinker01: 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hmmm.
Best before date:- this is the length of time which an item
is suitable for sale. It is the recommended time
which a product will remain good. This date is
more of a guideline and it gives the
recommended date by which the product is
best consumed.
Expiration date:-indicates that the product is no
longer safe to consume after the specified date.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 11:07pm On Jan 03, 2015
freethinker01:
Hmmm.
Best before date:- this is the length of time which an item
is suitable for sale. It is the recommended time
which a product will remain good. This date is
more of a guideline and it gives the
recommended date by which the product is
best consumed.
Expiration date:-indicates that the product is no
longer safe to consume after the specified date.
Thanks... But why is best before only used for edible food items?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 6:39am On Jan 04, 2015
Best before: hope still dey!! undecided undecided

Expiry date: no hope!! Chop and die! angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 8:45am On Jan 04, 2015
tchidi:

Lol
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Perpetual459: 4:52pm On Jan 05, 2015
BEST BEFORE AND EXPIRY DATE ARE THE SAME.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 8:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
Perpetual459:
BEST BEFORE AND EXPIRY DATE ARE THE SAME.
Why do you think So?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Perpetual459: 12:09pm On Jan 07, 2015
BEST BEFORE means an item can be used before/on d date printed on d leaflet/pack and expiry also means d same, meaning dat using d item after d BB OR EXPIRY DATE IS DANGEROUS
Whizpeter:

Why do you think So?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 12:38pm On Jan 07, 2015
Perpetual459:
BEST BEFORE means an item can be used before/on d date printed on d leaflet/pack and expiry also means d same, meaning dat using d item after d BB OR EXPIRY DATE IS DANGEROUS
Hmmmm... Then why is BB only used for food items
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Perpetual459: 10:16am On Jan 08, 2015
i ve nt noticed that oo,i only check d BB DATE OR EXPIRY DATE TO BE ON D SAFER SIDE
Whizpeter:

Hmmmm... Then why is BB only used for food items
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 6:20pm On Jan 08, 2015
Perpetual459:
i ve nt noticed that oo,i only check d BB DATE OR EXPIRY DATE TO BE ON D SAFER SIDE
Well I observed it... I just need an explanation for it
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2015
Whizpeter:

Well I observed it... I just need an explanation for it

Well expiry date is use for food items as well as non food items. I'd give you examples. Check a bama mayonnaise jar and that Danish cookies can. So that's just to correct your notion.

I'm a food technologist and from what I have learnt in school about packaging.

Best before is used to simply tell the quality of a food. It only means that to get the particular taste one desires from the food it's best consumed before that date and anything after that date might be less fascinating
For example if you buy an orange juice and has a bb date of Feb 2015, it means the colour, taste and aroma remains unchanged but anything after that date you may experience a slight change in taste n colour. A best before tag on a food makes the food still consumable after that date but it will be less appetising.

Now an expiry date shows that the food or the item should not be used as it's no longer fit for consumption. Using such food after its e.d poses threat to ones health. One should never use an item after its expiry date be it food, or cosmetic. There could be unstable elements used in d preparation or preservation that could cause serious damage.

Then to chip in; a food item bought that comes with a 'best stored below 20 degrees Celsius ' doesn't mean it would go bad if stored slightly above that temperature it only means for best results.
sell by is also display until
Use by is also expiry date.

hope this helps. Sorry for long post

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 11:16pm On Jan 08, 2015
candygosh:

Well expiry date is use for food items as well as non food items. I'd give you examples. Check a bama mayonnaise jar and that Danish cookies can. So that's just to correct your notion.

Best before is used to simply tell the quality of a food. It only means that to get the particular taste one desires from the food it's best consumed before that date and anything after that date might be less fascinating
For example if you buy an orange juice and has a bb date of Feb 2015, it means the colour, taste and aroma remains unchanged but anything after that date you may experience a slight change in taste n colour. A best before tag on a food makes the food still consumable after that date but it will be less appetising.

Now an expiry date shows that the food or the item should not be used as it's no longer fit for consumption. Using such food after its e.d poses threat to ones health. One should never use an item after its expiry date be it food, or cosmetic. There could be unstable elements used in d preparation or preservation that could cause serious damage.

Then to chip in; a food item bought that comes with a 'best stored below 20 degrees Celsius ' doesn't mean it would go bad if stored slightly above that temperature it only means for best results.

Wow.. I really appreciate this..
Very insightful..
You deserve a hug
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 08, 2015
Whizpeter:

Wow.. I really appreciate this..
Very insightful..
You deserve a hug

smiley grin u welcome
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 08, 2015
tchidi:

Correct in a funny way.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Perpetual459: 9:10am On Jan 09, 2015
Is it safe to eat food item after best before date?
candygosh:

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 09, 2015
Perpetual459:
Is it safe to eat food item after best before date?

Well scientifically speaking it's safe. FDA findings showed that best before tags on food has been a cause of food wastage. Most people ignorantly throw away such foods like I use to before I knew better.

For instance the normal colour of a good meat is purple. Now compare that with what you see today in the market, the meat has reduced in quality thereby leading to the dark brown colour or reddish brown colour but still doesn't mean the meat is unsafe for consumption.

The kind of foods unsafe are those ones with use by. For instance a food comes with display until or sell by jan 8th 2015 and use by Jan 10th 2015. Using that food on 11th is hazardous.
But with best before there is still a good time frame for consumption even past the bb date and it's safe. Let's simply say when u open d food if it smells good or taste like it should nothing wrong with eating it.

But if u r ajebutter, just let it go into thrash can.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 9:35pm On Jan 09, 2015
candygosh:

Well scientifically speaking it's safe. FDA findings showed that best before tags on food has been a cause of food wastage. Most people ignorantly throw away such foods like I use to before I knew better.

For instance the normal colour of a good meat is purple. Now compare that with what you see today in the market, the meat has reduced in quality thereby leading to the dark brown colour or reddish brown colour but still doesn't mean the meat is unsafe for consumption.

The kind of foods unsafe are those ones with use by. For instance a food comes with display until or sell by jan 8th 2015 and use by Jan 10th 2015. Using that food on 11th is hazardous.
But with best before there is still a good time frame for consumption even past the bb date and it's safe. Let's simply say when u open d food if it smells good or taste like it should nothing wrong with eating it.

But if u r ajebutter, just let it go into thrash can.
So I've been wasting my beef rolls (Gala) unnecessarily?
Each time I buy gala and find out that the BB date is today, I would dispose it
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 09, 2015
Whizpeter:

So I've been wasting my beef rolls (Gala) unnecessarily?
Each time I buy gala and find out that the BB date is today, I would dispose it

Haha funny. Tho in this case the gala might not be too safe. Like I said earlier there has to be a time frame. Maybe lie 2 to 3 days after in case of gala now. You know it's got beef filling and a sausage is supposed to be a ready to eat (RTE) so the beef might not keep too long after the required time.
You will notice that gala doesn't have a long shelf life . I think it takes about maximum of 2months after production for d consumption. Say it's produced January it's expiry date might be March. You could find out tho!
Besides you don't want to be eating unsafe stuff. All these processed foods are preserved with chemicals hence expiry date n best before coming in handy.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 11:06am On Jan 10, 2015
candygosh:

Haha funny. Tho in this case the gala might not be too safe. Like I said earlier there has to be a time frame. Maybe lie 2 to 3 days after in case of gala now. You know it's got beef filling and a sausage is supposed to be a ready to eat (RTE) so the beef might not keep too long after the required time.
You will notice that gala doesn't have a long shelf life . I think it takes about maximum of 2months after production for d consumption. Say it's produced January it's expiry date might be March. You could find out tho!
Besides you don't want to be eating unsafe stuff. All these processed foods are preserved with chemicals hence expiry date n best before coming in handy.
Hmmmm... But Gala has a BB date of 10 days after the date of production
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
Whizpeter:

Hmmmm... But Gala has a BB date of 10 days after the date of production

Sorry 10 days. It has a short shelf storage.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 2:19pm On Jan 10, 2015
candygosh:

Sorry 10 days. It has a short shelf storage.
All the same, thanks!!!
You've been really helpful with ya intelligent posts!!
Maybe I should consider getting a food technologist as a wife
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
Whizpeter:

All the same, thanks!!!
You've been really helpful with ya intelligent posts!!
Maybe I should consider getting a food technologist as a wife

Haha lol. U probably should or become one urself. I'm glad to have been of help.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Best Before' And 'Expiry Date' by Whizpeter(m): 4:38pm On Jan 10, 2015
candygosh:

Haha lol. U probably should or become one urself. I'm glad to have been of help.
Lol... Already chose a career path... M left with Marrying one

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make A Fondant Icing On Cake / Igbo Yam Pottage Vs Yoruba Yam Pottage ( Asaro), Which One Do You Prefare? / Jollof Rice And Crayfish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.