Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye (2636 Views)

Poll: Do you agree with Adeboye's claims on Nigeria being better than the west?

Yes: 10% (2 votes)
No: 65% (13 votes)
I can't believe he said that.: 25% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

The 7 Untouchable People In Nigeria ~ Pastor Enoch Adeboye. / EASY WAYS FOR BUHARI TO ERADICATE BIAFRA / There Is No Way You Can Eradicate Corruption But We Can Fight To Minimize It In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2008
The fallacies of Pastor Enoch Adeboye
Written by Douglas Anele
Sunday, December 14, 2008

RECENTLY, in an interview with Sunday Vanguard’s Sam Eyoboka, the general overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Pastor Enoch A. Adeboye, made some assertions which have generated debate in the media.

Adeboye responded to issues ranging from the perennial traffic logjam along Lagos-Ibadan expressway whenever his church is having a programme at the Redemption Camp, the problem of immorality and corruption in Nigeria, to the question of deregulation of churches in the country.

My overriding purpose in this essay is to draw attention to some weaknesses in the responses of Pastor Adeboye to the issues raised by Mr. Eyoboka. At the outset, I completely agree with Adeboye on the ultimate futility of amassing wealth one does not really need by stealing from the public.

In my view, it shows that those who do this are intellectually, morally and spiritually very immature. But Adeboye is wrong when he says that “the only way we could eradicate corruption is to bring everybody to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, so that the fear of God will dwell in them…”

I also disagree with his view that “there’s no way you could trace the money to them (corrupt public officers) except the Almighty God exposes them”. Nigerians have good reasons to believe that top government functionaries nationwide stole billions of naira between 1970 and 2007.

These corrupt big men and thick madams are either in Nigeria or abroad enjoying their loot. In well organized countries, such criminals are imprisoned and their properties, including cash, confiscated by government. Moreover, it does not require superhuman intervention for a serious-minded government and relevant law enforcement agencies to track the bulk of the stolen funds and assets.

In Europe, Asia and North America, for example, intelligence agencies and the police regularly succeed in tracking down monies illicitly acquired both by public office holders and private individuals, sometimes many years after the crimes had been committed. The United States and her allies in the war on terrorism have, to a large extent, blocked the financial arteries of some well-known terrorist groups.

Therefore, although the sophisticated methods used by corrupt public officials to steal money make it difficult to identify the looters and their loot, as Adeboye correctly proclaims, it is grossly misleading to suggest, as he does, that only divine intervention would expose looters or that only the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ can eradicate corruption in Nigeria. The notion of “saving knowledge of Jesus Christ” is very ambiguous theoretically, and it is difficult to see how such a vague notion can be effectively applied practically.

Corruption can never be completely eradicated in any human society because it is based on some ineradicable existential conditions of human existence here on earth, especially greed and desire to benefit maximally from available opportunities. What countries serious about reducing corruption to a level where it does not impede development have done is to create traditions, institutions and laws which make it extremely difficult for people to steal public funds and get away with it, no matter how highly placed such criminals might be.

At any rate, the over emphasis on financial breakthroughs, sowing of seeds and tithes by the new Pentecostal churches encourages corruption, because it indirectly compels church members to struggle to impress the general overseers and win admiration, respect and special praises from everyone due to the size of their “gifts” to the church.

For the “bible believing” churches, the most important thing in the life of a Christian is not spiritual enlightenment and growth, but willingness to pay tithe and give donations - the bigger the better - to the church. In fact, since clergymen and clergywomen started amassing wealth, the level of corruption, even in the various churches, escalated to the extent that the churches themselves are now run like family ventures.

The high level of greed and materialism exhibited by church leaders is a complete departure from the main thrust of the teachings of Jesus contained in the gospels.

Another fallacy committed by Pastor Adeboye is his argument that the increasing number of Nigerians who embrace Christianity, and the exploits of Nigerian pastors overseas, imply that the rest of the world see Africa as the hope of the world. He even unwittingly created the impression that idol worship, witchcraft and human sacrifice existed in Africa alone until the West brought the light of the gospel to us.

One should not be surprised if Adeboye is exultant about his claim that churches brought to Britain by Nigerians are packed full every Sunday, whereas the older more traditional and orthodox churches are “slowing down”. Adeboye is happy that the churches headed by Africans are bubbling with life every Sunday.

As a leader of one of the popular churches in Nigeria, it is definitely in his interest that Pentecostalism is expanding, because the more RCCG members there are, the larger the tithes, offerings, gifts etc. that would accrue to the church.

A visit to any of the Holy Ghost congresses organized by Adeboye’s church, and a quick mental calculation of the amount that would be realized from the “multitude”, would give one a fair idea of how smart and ingenious Nigerian pastors are as businessmen and businesswomen.

I am surprised that a man who has a background in science would suggest that Africa is becoming “the lighting continent” for other parts of the world, that when you look at the other side of the world, “we are doing better”, simply because Africans are exporting Christianity back to the West.

This is sad. It suggests that our religious leaders, unlike their colleagues in Europe and America, are yet to wake up from their dogmatic slumbers. In recent years, all the parameters used to evaluate different aspects of human development point to the disturbing conclusion that Africa is stagnating.

With the arguable exception of South Africa, there is no genuinely technologically advanced or industrialized country in Africa. Africa’s contribution to the world economy is below ten percent.

Most African countries receive one form of assistance or another from countries outside Africa. The continent is currently ravaged by poverty, disease and internecine conflicts and wars.

Thus, given this scenario, no objective observer can honestly affirm that Africa is doing better, in any positive sense, than the West. The fact that warehouses originally built for manufactured products have been converted to churches proves beyond reasonable doubt that Nigeria’s economy is asphixiating.

Are Adeboye and his colleagues unperturbed by the deepening economic problems of Nigeria, by the fact that explosion in the number of Pentecostal Christians is directly proportional to the economic hardships facing Nigerians?

Why is it a good thing that instead of exporting manufactured products and technological know-how to the West we are exporting religion, foreign religion at that, to Europe? Indeed, if Africa is doing better in any meaningful sense, why is the continent experiencing brain drain continuously?

What Pastor Adeboye and those who reason like him on this matter fail to realize is that the West had tried religion during the Dark and Middle Ages, and discovered that it led to a dead end. Hence, since the scientific revolution of the 17th century, and the industrial revolution of the 18th, the West has directed its productive forces to the acquisition of scientific knowledge and its technological and industrial applications.

The long term consequence of this paradigm-shift is that Western countries now enjoy some of the highest standards of living known in human history. Pastor Adeoye is wrong in claiming that we are doing better than the West, simply because of the wave of new Pentecostalism sweeping across Africa.

Adeboye and other rich pastors can afford to downplay the negative consequences of exporting Christianity rather than manufactured products and hi-tech services to the West. After all, they and their families have escaped from the gravitational pull of poverty

Even, the immoral activities in Western countries which Adeboye referred to in the interview, and worse, exist here in Africa as well. The recent documentary on Africa’s witch children is a case in point. Adeboye makes the usual ecclesiastical mistake of denigrating aspects of our traditional culture uncritically.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 8:25pm On Dec 14, 2008
Pastor Adeoye is wrong in claiming that we are doing better than the West, simply because of the wave of new Pentecostalism sweeping across Africa.

Do you agree with Adeboye's claim that Nigeria is doing better than the west because of the success of the pentecostal movement?

[b]Another fallacy committed by Pastor Adeboye is his argument that the increasing number of Nigerians who embrace Christianity, and the exploits of Nigerian pastors overseas, imply that the rest of the world see Africa as the hope of the world. He even unwittingly created the impression that idol worship, witchcraft and human sacrifice existed in Africa alone until the West brought the light of the gospel to u[/b]s.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by bawomolo(m): 8:29pm On Dec 14, 2008
I agree with "Daddy" GO.  I'd rather live with peace and harmony in religious paradise rather than strive for technological and economical advancement like those obsessive Westerners.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2008
I agree with "Daddy" GO.  I'd rather live with peace and harmony in religious paradise rather than strive for technological and economical advancement like those obsessive Westerners.
shocked shocked shocked shocked You are a true son of Africa. Why are Nigerians always too quick to deny their state and prefer to give reasons why they live better than westerners but will always request help and services from the very west they so despise?
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2008
earTHMama:

Do you agree with Adeboye's claim that Nigeria is doing better than the west because of the success of the pentecostal movement?

I wholeheartedly disagree with this man.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by tharma(f): 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2008
bawomolo:

I agree with "Daddy" GO. I'd rather live with peace and harmony in religious paradise rather than strive for technological and economical advancement like those obsessive Westerners.

Of course u can say that when it come to religion discussion, but when it comes to discussion about our economy and the poverty pervading the country u will start complaining as to how we are backward. And all ur references will be towards the develop world. Dont be hypocritical.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Dec 14, 2008
Roflmao!!!! ATTACK!!!
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by bawomolo(m): 8:48pm On Dec 14, 2008
tharma:

Of course u can say that when it come to religion discussion, but when it comes to discussion about our economy and the poverty pervading the country u will start complaining as to how we are backward. And all ur references will be towards the develop world. don't be hypocritical.

Let me quote from the Holy book .  "Touch not my annointed".  After years of creating a thriving business i mean religious empire,  Daddy Go must know what he is saying and doing.   The puritan lifestyle is the way to live.  abandon earthly possessions that have possessed the minds of Westerners.  Daddy GO is an exception due to the fact his blessing comes from the most high God.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 8:49pm On Dec 14, 2008
I wholeheartedly disagree with this man

Of course i know you will. Nuzo your buddy will join you later. If it will make you any happier, I agree with you tho. His comments were just dumb especially from an academic guru like him.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by vicade(m): 8:49pm On Dec 14, 2008
Well, Religion is really the Opium of the People.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 8:50pm On Dec 14, 2008
Let me quote from the Holy book .  "Touch not my annointed".  After years of creating a thriving business i mean religious empire,  Daddy Go must know what he is saying and doing.   The puritan lifestyle is the way to live.  abandon earthly possessions that have possessed the minds of Westerners.  Daddy GO is an exception due to the fact his blessing comes from the most high God.  
grin grin grin grin Religion is a bi.tch. It means that you are not saying your mind, rather, you are afraid of offending God. Telling Adeboye how wrong he is is not touching him tho.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2008
earTHMama:

Of course i know you will. Nuzo your buddy will join you later. If it will make you any happier, I agree with you tho. His comments were just dumb especially from an academic guru like him.

1) I do not know who Nuzo is personally, and I hate to tell you this but your mentioning him here leads me to believe you have some issues with him and you are on your own .

2) I am a born again Christian myself and I do not see the point in saying the man is right just cause.

3) We are already ranked as the most religious country on the planet and that to me a badge of shame considering some of the most wicked people also live in there and claim to be OF God. The bible is clear about how many will say they are of God but their conducts tell the opposite.

Bringing God into this yet again is not good for anyone's witness. It is time we start ACTING LIKE ACTUAL RELIGIOUS people, than claiming and not doing.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by SisiJinx: 8:55pm On Dec 14, 2008
@ Bawo
I so agree with you, you have no idea! I've always dreamed of a world where the question "Where is thy brother?" will not be answered with a flippant "Am I my brother's keeper?"

A world where we can finally do away with technology coz if you really think about it, it is the too the devil is using to dehumanize and introduce more ills to the society.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by tharma(f): 8:56pm On Dec 14, 2008
Well Uncle Sege was/is a born again too. And a good one for that matter.

See George Bush here de dodge -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7782422.stm
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 8:57pm On Dec 14, 2008
1) I do not know who Nuzo is personally, and I hate to tell you this but your mentioning him here leads me to believe you have some issues with him and you are on your own .

Wharreva!   undecided
2) I am a born again Christian myself and I do not see the point in saying the man is right just cause.

You? born again? or born before?

3) We are already ranked as the most religious country on the planet and that to me a badge of shame considering some of the most wicked people also live in there and claim to be OF God. The bible is clear about how many will say they are of God but their conducts tell the opposite.

Bringing God into this yet again is not good for anyone's witness. It is time we start ACTING LIKE ACTUAL RELIGIOUS people, than claiming and not doing.
Spot on.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 8:58pm On Dec 14, 2008
Well Uncle Sege was/is a born again too. And a good one for that matter.

See George Bush here de dodge -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7782422.stm
Roflmao grin grin grin
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by tharma(f): 9:00pm On Dec 14, 2008
bawomolo:

Let me quote from the Holy book . "Touch not my annointed". After years of creating a thriving business i mean religious empire, Daddy Go must know what he is saying and doing. The puritan lifestyle is the way to live. abandon earthly possessions that have possessed the minds of Westerners. Daddy GO is an exception due to the fact his blessing comes from the most high God.

In deed u are right. The Holy book says so. And the tithes goes to dem too
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Dec 14, 2008
earTHMama:

Wharreva!   undecided
You? born again? or born before?
Spot on.

Nope!!! I am born again. If you have a problem with that, question God. Again, whatever issues you have with persons, kindly keep it out of debates cause even with the new moniker, personality remains same.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by tharma(f): 9:05pm On Dec 14, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Hm sound too good. Nigerians Im sure are very religious out of necessity.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by vicade(m): 9:06pm On Dec 14, 2008
The truth of the matter is that fela had a point when he said we are too scared to challenge the government(I No wan die, I get two house, My mama dey for house, i get children e.t.c.). A westerner will ask questions, he will inquire why things are so and be desperate to make a change. They can give their life to achieve what they want. Just look at the people campaigning for GAY Marriages.

But Naija man will not ask questions. He will just accept it as the will of GOD but you see GOD will not do for man what man can do for himself.
In a way, I believe Religion is the Opium of our people.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 9:08pm On Dec 14, 2008
Nope!!! I am born again. If you have a problem with that, question God. Again, whatever issues you have with persons, kindly keep it out of debates cause even with the new moniker, personality remains same.
No, i rather have a problem with hypocrites claiming to be born again. i am yet to see your christianity based on the bile you spew here all day. i repeat, Nuzo your buddy will soon claim to be a pope or vicar of the holy spirit.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 9:08pm On Dec 14, 2008
But Naija man will not ask questions. He will just accept it as the will of GOD but you see GOD will not do for man what man can do for himself.
So true.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 9:14pm On Dec 14, 2008
Hm sound too good. Nigerians I'm sure are very religious out of necessity.

Don't westerners have necessities too?. Necessity is the mother of invention. It's better we invent better ways to solve our problem than accusing God falsely for our situation.

Do you think Nigeria will be a better place if every citizen including the almajiris and alayes become born again?
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Dec 14, 2008
vicade:

The truth of the matter is that fela had a point when he said we are too scared to challenge the government(I No wan die, I get two house, My mama dey for house, i get children e.t.c.). A westerner will ask questions, he will inquire why things are so and be desperate to make a change. They can give their life to achieve what they want. Just look at the people campaigning for GAY Marriages.

You nailed it!!! In Nigeria, a person asking questions is seen as being unpatriotic; You question the process and you are labelled an unpatriotic Nigerian, and an enemy of progress, by the Nigerian people themselves.  So we have a country filled with many more people willing to accept the status quo, defend mediocrity in the name of patriotism, and ready to stone those who speak up against it. This is why we continue to have religion the way we do in that country. A Country so religious, yet so wicked in the treatment of it's own people.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by earTHMama: 9:52pm On Dec 14, 2008
A Country so religious, yet so wicked in the treatment of it's own people.
Who is treating it's people that way?. Is Nigeria as a country an animate object?
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by lammie01: 11:13pm On Dec 14, 2008
Like its been noted. Obasanjo was born again and presided over arguable the most currupt administration in Nigeria. George Bush himself claims to be born again and is the most lowly rate US president in history due to his fanatical war moungering.

If it was born againism Nigeria should be the most developed country on earth!!!. I strongly disagree with Pastor Adeboye. The churches Nigerians export to the west, some of them are just money making ventures. I came to know of one young guy in the UK who just started his and his intention as noted by a friend was more of money making and a short cut to being a millionaire.

pastor Adeboye needs to root out the fraudsters among the ministry!!

The solution to curroption is harsh punishment for the thieves. Put them all in a zoo and bring the whole nation to watch the lions have the curropt politicians for dinner grin OBJ especially and IBB deserves this!!! grin
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by dayokanu(m): 11:27pm On Dec 14, 2008
I not only disagree, I feel born againism is the biggest problem we have in Nigeria!!!!!

Because societies that are atheist are far better than us in terms of corruption.

OBJ a born again Christian who leads services an Adeboyes ground is the most corrupt person In Naija history!!!!!

I heard Gbenga Daniels was an official in the church before he became Gov.

Though its non of my bizniz but I would just ask where the Millions (Tax free) they get from every Redeemed service at Redemption Camp goes to? Sometimes running into hundreds of Millions per Holy Ghost service nite

Humanitarian service? and they pay exorbitantly at Redeemers University.

So which humanitarian service do they do with the Millions?? I heard a Popular pastor in Nigeria has bodyguards who carry arms and he has a Private Jet too.

The typical Naija answers would follow this "Touch not my anointed, "
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 14, 2008
Daddy G.O. . . . Africa as the light of the world? I have to practically draw a map before most Americans understand what on earth Africa is.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Tornadoz(m): 11:46pm On Dec 14, 2008
davidylan:

Daddy G.O. . . . Africa as the light of the world? I have to practically draw a map before most Americans understand what on earth Africa is.
Thanks for reminding us of the above. African's are actually losing sleep cos Americans don't know where we are on the map. (Ever thought of having friends who're a educated?) What a stupid comment.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 14, 2008
Tornadoz:

Thanks for reminding us of the above. African's are actually losing sleep because Americans don't know where we are on the map. (Ever thought of having friends who're a educated?) What a stupid comment.

Its funny that goons like you think that "education" equals being able to pinpoint a continent that plays absolutely no role in the world's economy beyond being a dumping ground for excess and unwanted goods.

Africans dont need to lose sleep that Americans dont know where they are on the map . . . those Africans who queue endlessly at US embassies certainly dont look like they ever get any sleep in the rat race to move to America.

What an absolutely foolish comment.
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by shotster50(m): 12:05am On Dec 15, 2008
ummmm born again, does that also apply to our muslim and trado worshippers too?
Re: Born Againsm Is The Only Way To Eradicate Corruption In Nigeria - Pastor Adeboye by dayokanu(m): 12:05am On Dec 15, 2008
@ Tornadoz,

A Nigerian Illiterate knows every country in the world because they are looking for visas to run away!!!

How many Nigerians Know anything about Malawi even Taraba state or Kebbi? But who does not know Lagos, Port Harcourt South Africa, Egypt or Abuja

Most people educated too dont care where Africa is to them Africa is like a compound.

That doesnt make them Illiterates because of what use is Africa to them? Except a dumping ground for unwanted items

Illiterates? Thats why the eduated Nigeria is full of Nobel Laureates and Inventors

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uproar As Senate Cuts Education, Health Budgets To Fund N25 Billion Abuja Road / Yorubas Are The Problem In Nigeria - Sanusi / 10 WAYS TO BREAK APC For GOOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.