Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,418 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV (3402 Views)

5 Things You Absolutely Must Include On Your CV / 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae / 6 Things You Must Remove From Your Cv Very Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by Trustgt(m): 2:38am On Jan 04, 2015
6 things you should always include on your CV

By Jacquelyn Smith

Dec 15 2014

Capturing someone’s attention and making a great first impression in just six seconds is no easy feat. Now, imagine trying to do this without ever meeting that person.

Sounds impossible, right?

Well, if you’re a job seeker who submits an outstanding résumé that tells your “career story” in a succinct, easy-to-follow way, it’s actually very achievable.

To ensure your résumé stands out (for the right reasons), there are a few things you’ll want to avoid and some you’ll definitely want to include, says Tina Nicolai, executive career coach and founder of Résumé Writers’ Ink. “Basically employers want to see where candidates have earned, learned, and contributed.”

Whether to include things like an objective statement, list of skills, and education will depend on your level of experience and industry — but here are six simple things you should always include on your résumé, no matter what:

Contact information.

This may seem obvious, but candidates sometimes forget to include basic information like their email address, or they bury it at the bottom. “Include your name, phone number, email, and URL to your LinkedIn profile right at the top of the page,” Nicolai says. “And you don’t need to include your home address.”

Executive résumé writer Mary Elizabeth Bradford suggests including just one phone number and email address. “Some people will include their home and cell numbers, for example — but I find multiple contact choices to be confusing. Make it easy for your reader to understand how to contact you.”

Keywords from the job posting.

You’ll want to include (without making it look like you did a lot of copying and pasting) some keywords and phrases from the job posting. This is especially important if the employer uses a résumé-scanning system.

Accomplishments and achievements.

Employers need to know what you’ve done to contribute to the growth of your department, team, and company to determine whether your strengths align with the needs and responsibilities of their company and the job opening, Nicolai says.

Your career narrative.

“No matter if you are constructing a functional résumé or a chronological résumé, some kind of professional history is critical,” Bradford says. “But make sure your story makes for a more interesting read.”

Metrics.

“Employers need numbers to be able to fully evaluate the scope of your bandwidth,” Nicolai says. “No position is exempt from measuring results. And metrics help employers determine if a person is capable of leading a team, managing clients, or growing the business.”

Metrics are also a great way to back up your achievements.

Relevant URLs.

Depending on the field or position you’re applying for, it may be useful to include links to your work (articles you’ve written, websites you’ve designed, photographs you’ve taken, etc.).

“Candidates need to show up on paper as though they have already been screened by a recruiter,” Nicolai says. “Today, recruiters and gatekeepers are stretched to the gills and do not have the time to conduct lengthy initial phone screens to understand detailed specific information.”

Knowing that, your goal should be to include enough information using as few words as possible, Bradford says. “Less is more in most cases, and writing ‘too much’ is generally the most common mistake I see. You don’t want key attributes getting lost in a sea of information just because you have ‘seen and done it all from the bottom up.'”

Use your ideal career position as your touchtone and write to that, she suggests. “Accentuate the skills, abilities, metrics, and leadership abilities that make the best case for you being in that next position, and minimize the rest.”

https://agenda.weforum.org/2014/12/6-things-you-should-always-include-on-your-cv/?utm_content=buffer14353&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by reaky(m): 6:55am On Jan 04, 2015
I guess I need to start editing my cv undecided
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by saintnegroid(m): 7:13am On Jan 04, 2015
i will edit ma cv sharpenly
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by Goddygee(m): 7:23am On Jan 04, 2015
wow, tanxs
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by Profitng: 9:16am On Jan 04, 2015
okay
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by benuejosh: 9:25am On Jan 04, 2015
number the points for a faster and quick sight of the point.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by sholay2011(m): 10:35am On Jan 04, 2015
benuejosh:
number the points for a faster and quick sight of the point.
I will instead suggest the use of bullet points.
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by Trippledots(m): 10:42am On Jan 04, 2015
and how does a fresh graduate list what he has done or achieved, when he is just graduating. i know his achievemnts in school can be highlighted, bt i mean real life work experience/achievements.
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by tuwayz(m): 1:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
Op pls arrange ur work to make it readable and understandable
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by San2ski(m): 1:47pm On Jan 04, 2015
Editing my CV has been something I keep putting off as it seems 'scary'. Wish I could do it my way or get someone to do it for me this way. shocked
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by sbashir10(m): 4:01pm On Jan 04, 2015
Up nepa
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by TrishaP(f): 4:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
Thanks op. I've been procrastinating mine for a wyl now bcus I wasnt really sure what I'll put down.
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by Elparaiso(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by siegfried99(m): 12:46am On Jan 05, 2015
Thanks
Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by johnemeka(m): 12:20pm On Jan 05, 2015
Trippledots:
and how does a fresh graduate list what he has done or achieved, when he is just graduating. i know his achievemnts in school can be highlighted, bt i mean real life work experience/achievements.

A fresh graduate has in one time or the other participated in Associations or Unions and even Industrial Training.The person can use his Strength or his contributions which yielded good results to show as his Achievement.

Example:In the interview that landed me the job am doing now,i told the interview term that i worked as a store keeper Assistant during my I.T . They asked me if i encountered any overage or shortage during that time and i answered them yes and told them how it was resolved.

Note:
1.Every employer of labor wants to employ someone how is serious and has self-confidence.So you much build your confidence before going for an interview that even when you are lying you will still be bold. (PLEASE NOT LIE)

2.Get as many information about the company before going for interview it helps .

[size=14pt]I wish you good luck![/size]

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Always Include On Your CV by Trippledots(m): 2:31pm On Jan 07, 2015
johnemeka:

A fresh graduate has in one time or the other participated in Associations or Unions and even Industrial Training.The person can use his Strength or his contributions which yielded good results to show as his Achievement.

Example:In the interview that landed me the job am doing now,i told the interview term that i worked as a store keeper Assistant during my I.T . They asked me if i encountered any overage or shortage during that time and i answered them yes and told them how it was resolved.

Note:
1.Every employer of labor wants to employ someone how is serious and has self-confidence.So you much build your confidence before going for an interview that even when you are lying you will still be bold. (PLEASE NOT LIE)

2.Get as many information about the company before going for interview it helps .

[size=14pt]I wish you good luck![/size]

lol @do not lie..... aiit. thanks for d response, and wishes too. i need tons of that.

(1) (Reply)

Workers Needed In Margaret Ekpo International Airport Apply Now / Jafad School Of Nursing & College Of Health Technology INTERVIEW / Juan Industries Graduate Management Trainee Program, 18th October, 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.