Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae (21449 Views)

The Five Most Important Things To Include On Your CV / What Is The Difference Between Curriculum Vitae And Resume? / 5 Things You Absolutely Must Include On Your CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by macherie1: 4:38pm On Feb 16, 2017
If any of the words listed below appear on your curriculum vitae, consider expunging or rephrasing them. Your curriculum vitae says everything about you and determines your chances of meeting with an employer who doesn’t know you in person. Do your best to give it an appeal that can grab the attention of the recruiter long enough to give you a chance.

1.Unemployed

There is no reason whatsoever for this word should appear on your CV. The recruiter can infer your employment status from your employment history.

2.Hardworking or Hard worker

Unnecessary. Expunge it

3.’Ambicious’

Pay attention to your spelling. Misspelled words like this should never appear on your CV
[b]
4.Microsoft Office
[/b]

Listing Microsoft Word proficiency as skill is like listing being able to read and write as a skill. Microsoft office is not a skill. Consider including other professional short courses that you have completed online or go online and take free courses in skills and software that are relevant to your profession.

5. Reference available upon request

The recruiter will ask for a reference without you telling them.

6. Can’t or Won’t

Avoid negative words. Rather emphasize what you can do or will do

7. Unnecessary personal Information

Personal information such as date of birth, family status, personal interest etc. should be avoided on a CV. These information do not determine your qualification for the job.

8. Hobbies

Including your hobbies is distracting and time wasting for the recruiter. Your hobbies do not pertain to your qualification for the job.

9. Result-Oriented

“While many other words are misused or diluted by overuse, these are the weakest and most abused,” says master executive resume writer Barrett-Poindexter.

10. I know SQL, HTML…

You don’t have to know all the skills required for a job to land it. You will be questioned based on the skills you claim to know and your level of proficiency in them. Avoid dishonesty.

http://www.financialadvisorngr.com/9-words-never-include-curriculum-vitae/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 5:16pm On Feb 16, 2017
thumb up bro
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by BiafranBushBoy: 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2017
Op... I think you should provide alternative words to be used. Nice write up tho.

Visit www.topwritersden.com to learn how to craft a winning CV.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by haykes(m): 10:33pm On Feb 16, 2017
Noted
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by SHOPPERS(m): 10:52pm On Feb 16, 2017
Trust me, sometimes your DOB is very important for companies that have a stipulated age bracket for a particular position. But maybe not sha.

Sensible points here though...

Plus
11. Religion
Who needs to know if you're not an atheist? Except if you're applying for job in a Trump Organization sha or applying to a religious organization. Applying to religious NGOs too may require that.
12. Primary school and Secondary school details. If you're a graduate, your highest form of education is what os necessary. You won't be in a University or a Polytechnic if you did not pass through those elementary stages.

16 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by iykemoney90(m): 7:14am On Feb 17, 2017
Keep seeing different opinions every time. My CV dey version 8.0 due to modifications.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by MrGreenMavro: 7:14am On Feb 17, 2017
kk

Mini CV

Name: Alhaji Joy
Dob: 30th February, 2017
Sex: Virgin

6 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Histrings08(m): 7:15am On Feb 17, 2017
Hmm mm... Noted my friend

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by HAH: 7:17am On Feb 17, 2017
Am an employer and I consider some of the things you wrote not to be CV very important when recruiting as very vital in recruitment, for instance marital status, age etc are very vital in recruitment decision and will make me have an idea of the potential employees disposition. If age should not be in the CV what if you hire a 60 years old as a fresher

I need to know if you know computer basics, cos there a lot of computer illiterates people out there.

Though you got some of your point right

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by akanbiaa(m): 7:19am On Feb 17, 2017
Seems CV scrutiny is meant for the following jobs these days
1. Sales with ridiculous targets
2. Marketing with ridiculous target
3. Private school teaching with meagre salary and ridiculous workload
4. Recruitment agency that need it to recruit the recruiters.
5. Banking with ridiculous target.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by HAH: 7:21am On Feb 17, 2017
SHOPPERS:
Trust me, sometimes your DOB is very important for companies that have a stipulated age bracket for a particular position. But maybe not sha.

Sensible points here though...

Plus
11. Religion
Who needs to know if you're not an atheist? Except if you're applying for job in a Trump Organization sha or applying to a religious organization. Applying to religious NGOs too may require that.
12. Primary school and Secondary school details. If you're a graduate, your highest form of education is what os necessary. You won't be in a University or a Polytechnic if you did not pass through those elementary stages.

If am empoying a marketer for instance in a muslim dominated community I need to get a muslim so that he cam easily flow with potential customer, so religion may be vital.

Primary school is something that is used to know your true age, you cant tell me you finish primary school in 1990 and still be 30 years old for instance

7 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by tutorago: 7:23am On Feb 17, 2017
macherie1:
If any of the words listed below appear on your curriculum vitae, consider expunging or rephrasing them. Your curriculum vitae says everything about you and determines your chances of meeting with an employer who doesn’t know you in person. Do your best to give it an appeal that can grab the attention of the recruiter long enough to give you a chance.

1.Unemployed

There is no reason whatsoever for this word should appear on your CV. The recruiter can infer your employment status from your employment history.

Unnecessary. Expunge it

3.’Ambicious’

Pay attention to your spelling. Misspelled words like this should never appear on your CV
[b]
4.Microsoft Office
[/b]

Listing Microsoft Word proficiency as skill is like listing being able to read and write as a skill. Microsoft office is not a skill. Consider including other professional short courses that you have completed online or go online and take free courses in skills and software that are relevant to your profession.

6. Can’t or Won’t

Personal information such as date of birth, family status, personal interest etc. should be avoided on a CV. These information do not determine your qualification for the job.

8. Hobbies

Including your hobbies is distracting and time wasting for the recruiter. Your hobbies do not pertain to your qualification for the job.

9. Result-Oriented

“While many other words are misused or diluted by overuse, these are the weakest and most abused,” says master executive resume writer Barrett-Poindexter.

10. I know SQL, HTML…

You don’t have to know all the skills required for a job to land it. You will be questioned based on the skills you claim to know and your level of proficiency in them. Avoid dishonesty.

Good points...

If you have experience in teaching, sign up on https://tutorago.com in order to be considered for a tutoring job in the future.
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by dabossman(m): 7:28am On Feb 17, 2017
HAH:
Am an employer and I consider some of the things you wrote not to be CV very important when recruiting as very vital in recruitment, for instance marital status will make me have an idea of the potential employees disposition, I need to know if you know computer basics, cos there a lot of computer illiterates people out there.

Though you got most right

I once had an assistant who selected text from a MS Word document and wanted to paste it straight onto a flash drive. A university graduate o. I couldn't believe my eyes. I bet she had Microsoft Office proficiency on her CV.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Ayowumie(m): 7:29am On Feb 17, 2017
macherie1:

4.Microsoft Office[/b][/b]

I totally disagreed with you concerning the above. Ms office is a skill and one that's worth amplifying depending on the job you are applying for. In fact, there are some organisations that would ask you to rate your proficiency in MS office.
So to the job seekers, please don't believe everything your read. If you are proficient in MS office, please amplify it. My HR once disqualified a good candidate because of her lack of proficiency in MS Excel.

13 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 17, 2017
Please job seekers, don't pay any attention to this. Looks like the poster doesn't want you to get a job. When a company specifically states an age restriction in their advert, that is when you now said don't include age. The program expunges ageless and over aged applicants first. If the recruiter wants a single person like they mostly prefer and you removed it cos of one stupid post, oyo is your case. Lastly it's possible to have a PhD without primary schl certificate. My company wants to see that boldly written on your cv.

My two cents

12 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Samanza89: 7:34am On Feb 17, 2017
I heard a whole lot about CV writing, many opinions, counter suggestions. I have even attended several seminars on CV writing. This one will say inset these, another will come to tell us remove it, making one confuse of which one to believe.
I choose to attest to the fact that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion..
God's Providence and favour is ultimate, if that job was meant for you, you will surely get it.

Just believe!...

Ps: I totally disagree with almost all the points stated there!...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by opius: 7:37am On Feb 17, 2017
Op , 7 & 8 is as important as qualification
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Benjom(m): 7:39am On Feb 17, 2017
Well, good research OP. I however disagree with some of your points. This comprehensive article I wrote on CV would certainly be of help to those who need information on what sections should be included on CVs.

NOTE: This is not for lazy readers.

www..com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by akoko11: 7:44am On Feb 17, 2017
Scrap
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by alex81(m): 7:45am On Feb 17, 2017
Slightly disagree on point 8

Hobbies

went for an interview last yr with NBC, the HR was interested in one of the hobbies I put down - chess. he brought out his tab launched d chess app and asked to demonstrate the fools mate just to prove dat I can play chess as claimed.

ur hobbies speaks about u in a way. from ur hobbies I can tell d kind of person u are. hypothetically speaking. grin

5 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Davash222(m): 7:45am On Feb 17, 2017
HAH:
Am an employer and I consider some of the things you wrote not to be CV very important when recruiting as very vital in recruitment, for instance marital status, age etc are very vital in recruitment decision and will make me have an idea of the potential employees disposition. If age should not be in the CV what if you hire a 60 years old as a fresher

I need to know if you know computer basics, cos there a lot of computer illiterates people out there.

You are right.
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by seunoni34(m): 7:45am On Feb 17, 2017
macherie1:

1.Unemployed

Unnecessary. Expunge it

3.’Ambicious’

[b]
4.Microsoft Office
[/b]

6. Can’t or Won’t

8. Hobbies

9. Result-Oriented

10. I know SQL, HTML…

I was told by my senior colleague that interviewed me that my age gave me an edge over others (although I've left the job now) . So put your age where necessary if you're below 27 and it's an IT field. They love young guys

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by infobizman(m): 7:47am On Feb 17, 2017
pls house, wat abt grade ?? some argued it shouldn't appear on CV especially sm1 avin a 2:2 & below.... pls shed more light

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by espionage48(m): 7:55am On Feb 17, 2017
Are you people not tired of these Cv do's and dont's? Today do this,add this, tomorrow don't do this don't add this. Most of these bloggers putting confusions into our head are also job seekers and I wonder why they haven't gotten any job since they know the do's and dont's. We are tired of these Cv wahala abeg

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by abumeinben(m): 7:56am On Feb 17, 2017
Microsoft Office applications proficiency cannot be deleted sir OP.

GIANT organization have that field on their websites to be filled.

Besides, not everyone employed can use the tool.
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by oluwafreshkid(m): 8:16am On Feb 17, 2017
The GM of a company interviewed me and noticed that i didn't include hobbies in my. CV, he asked me "are you that boring?"
Oga.... There's no hard and fast rule to writing a CV, what works here won't work there.
Tailor your CV according to the job applied for.
Some will put age limit, hiw do you let them know your age if you dont add DOB?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by TinaAnita(f): 8:33am On Feb 17, 2017
iykemoney90:
Keep seeing different opinions every time. My CV dey version 8.0 due to modifications.

Hehehe
By the time nairaland is done with you, your cv will be left with your name, educational qualification and phone number. Oya let the modification begin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 17, 2017
HAH:

you can ask/tell all of these at an interview!
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 17, 2017
oluwafreshkid:
The GM of a company interviewed me and noticed that i didn't include hobbies in my. CV, he asked me "are you that boring?"
Oga.... There's no hard and fast rule to writing a CV, what works here won't work there.
Tailor your CV according to the job applied for.
Some will put age limit, hiw do you let them know your age if you dont add DOB?

Well said. That's the simple idea
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by budosky(m): 9:12am On Feb 17, 2017
[s]
macherie1:

1.Unemployed

Unnecessary. Expunge it

3.’Ambicious’

[b]
4.Microsoft Office
[/b]

6. Can’t or Won’t

8. Hobbies

9. Result-Oriented

10. I know SQL, HTML…

[/s]

A Very bad write up

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by samhay: 9:20am On Feb 17, 2017
Typing
Re: 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae by samhay: 9:20am On Feb 17, 2017
budosky:
[s][/s]

A Very bad write up

Constructive criticism would av made sense

U had to quote the whole write-up and discredit without a point.

Sense that you don't have is Paining me

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC RECRUITMENT: Candidates Who Passed Interview Will Be Investigated / Latest Graduate Job At Etisalat Nigeria / 9 Proven Ways To Increase Your Chance For A Job Interview (with Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.