Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

The Man In The Church And Other Stories - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Man In The Church And Other Stories (21426 Views)

Unveiled [and Other Flash Fiction Pieces] / The Man: Bob Dylan, Newly Crowned Nobel Laureate / The Adventures Of One Man Squad And Six Other Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Nobody: 6:53am On Jan 24, 2015
Royver, front page mahn. grin
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Habybullah(m): 6:54am On Jan 24, 2015
Wow!!! What a way to start the morning! Am so grtful dude! U re richly blessed I will read all ur stories ASAP!
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by kowema(f): 6:57am On Jan 24, 2015
Something in Me wishes this story wud be true....Nice one Royver
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Kanmiboy(m): 6:57am On Jan 24, 2015
Nice write up brown. Keep up doing Gud work
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by cromz(m): 7:10am On Jan 24, 2015
Is this a fiction or non fiction story?
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Nobody: 7:15am On Jan 24, 2015
What a wonderful creative.
But the marriage will not be complete if my share is not given to me hahaha.
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by keifiuz: 7:20am On Jan 24, 2015
Hey can u make a little novel with dis. An interesting story even if its not true. You can title it "The messanger"
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by darepoju(m): 7:20am On Jan 24, 2015
wow.... great story..there's so much life in it...
I must say it here that am inspire...
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by rabbaba: 7:23am On Jan 24, 2015
I wish to have this divine incouter too
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by AdeniyiA(m): 7:23am On Jan 24, 2015
lol.... Royver is seeing what others do not see again o cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Terry68: 7:24am On Jan 24, 2015
I was lost within my imagination. I bet you, that was great.

Happy new year.

Looking forward in reading more.
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Juliesexy(f): 7:28am On Jan 24, 2015
Wow! This is cool. I'm new on Nairaland, and it seems it's all gonna be fun after all.

Following... smiley

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by staymore: 7:29am On Jan 24, 2015
Wow! I can deny the suspense from the beginning. This is great.
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by bishop4life(m): 7:31am On Jan 24, 2015
hmmm this is wow. good writing bro. keep it up
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 24, 2015
Following with keen interest...thumbs up (y) man
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by ifeomaekol(f): 8:04am On Jan 24, 2015
Wow what a wonderful story, it really pays to self God whole heartedly.
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by Chrisx1x(m): 8:15am On Jan 24, 2015
This nigga is superb.he is one of the best and the most creative writer on nairaland..i use yanch take greet u bro.

4 Likes

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by hapiness44(f): 8:26am On Jan 24, 2015
Royver my nairaland crush has written another master piece..can't wait to read it..#youWriteRight!

3 Likes

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by AJOT99(m): 8:48am On Jan 24, 2015
Ok

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by UjSizzle(f): 9:02am On Jan 24, 2015
"I inhaled enough dust to make the vacuum cleaner jealous" grin

Beautiful story, Royver.

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by smartoliver(m): 9:42am On Jan 24, 2015
A very beautiful write up,dis is simply amazing..kip up d gud work!!!but how do u do it,u capotured my attention frm d beginning and I was praying d story never ends,God bless u bro,dis is simply AMAZING

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by obowunmi(m): 9:43am On Jan 24, 2015
Wow. Amazing

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by emmadejust(m): 9:47am On Jan 24, 2015
u are an intriguing writter... keep it up

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by moyin2009: 10:02am On Jan 24, 2015
wonderful write up. ops thanks

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by buoye1(m): 10:19am On Jan 24, 2015
Wow....ROYver u r da king....

I love "the man in the church"wished it didn't end there!

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by buoye1(m): 10:22am On Jan 24, 2015
toykathy:
thz alot Royver for sharing dis with us. Ur style of writing is intiguing.
toykathy Ma,dis not fair,u can't tell me about these story till I saw on FP....#angry
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by buoye1(m): 10:23am On Jan 24, 2015
toykathy:
thz alot Royver for sharing dis with us. Ur style of writing is intiguing.
toykathy Ma,dis not fair,u can't tell me about these story till I saw it on FP....#angry
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by fejikudz(m): 10:30am On Jan 24, 2015
WOW
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by toykathy(f): 10:41am On Jan 24, 2015
buoye1:
toykathy Ma,dis not fair,u can't tell me about these story till I saw it on FP....#angry

I'm so sorry sweetpie, dnt mind me. Space still dey my syd here come siddon. *gives him chilled five alive with egg roll*

1 Like

Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by eightsin(m): 11:04am On Jan 24, 2015
I schooled in abraka and I know so many stories and even witness one of those death by the river/beach. I was also tempted to swim to the deep side with big waves but never could muster the courage.

Royver:
MY SURVIVAL STORY

This happened many years ago when I was about fourteen years old. My mom had decided to take us on holiday to Abraka resort in Delta State. There was a man-made beach bordering on the Abraka River there that was all the rave that time. My mum packaged all my siblings in the car with me and in two hours we were at the resort.

I was very excited because this would be the first time I would see a river up close and swim in it also! I had learned how to splash about in swimming pools back home and had been told it wasn’t the same in a river; the currents could drag you where you didn’t want to go and one could find fish swimming alongside one if he was lucky. Different scenarios played through my head and I couldn’t wait to change to my swimming gear and dive into the water.

It was a sunny afternoon by the time we reached the place and it was packed full with people who had come to enjoy the cool water too. My mom sat at a corner of the sandy beach where she could keep an eye out for all of us while I and my brother and sister immediately changed into our swimming clothes and jumped into the water where the other children were.

The first thing that struck me was the warmth of the water. I was expecting it to be as cool as in the swimming pools back home. Then the floor of the river was covered in gritty white sand which you could dig your feet into. I played with the sand a bit, enjoying the feel between my toes and the coolness as I dug deeper; but I wasn’t really enjoying the swimming itself as the water was too crowded with the bodies of other children.

I felt a light but persistent tap on my shoulder and I turned around to see this skinny chocolate coloured girl who smiled genially at me. Filed with raging hormones at the time, I lost all my senses as soon as I saw her sweet smile and playful eyes. She asked if I knew how to swim and I answered yes immediately, puffing my chest a little for good measure. She nodded and said good, we should swim to the other end of the river, away from the crowd, that the water was cooler there. She didn’t wait for a reply but disappeared beneath the water and the next I saw her she was afar off and beckoning me to follow.

I turned to see if my mom was looking at me; she had her hands full with my small sister. I turned back with a grin and began to splash towards the girl. She laughed and swam expertly onwards towards the isolated part of the river, swimming under the thick protective rope that marked the deep end. I followed blindly, I had stopped trying to swim now and was wading in the water, absent mindedly throwing the rope over my head and following this beauty of the river to wherever she might lead. I wasn’t scared since I considered myself an averagely good swimmer and my logic was the river would increase in depth gradually like the swimming pools back home and I would turn around if it became too deep for me.

I was in for a rude shock.

I had taken another step when suddenly it seemed the sand beneath my feet gave way. I stumbled around in the current, trying to find my footing and finally got some firm ground to stand on. The river was a bit cloudy at this point so I wasn’t sure what was going on. I stopped moving and allowed the water to settle before I took another step. It was then I saw what had nearly happened.

The river did not taper gently downwards like it did in the swimming pools. The riverbed was shallow up to the point where I was standing, then just sloped down suddenly into the depths. I watched in horror as a big fish, as big as my left leg, swam by me. I realized the water seemed to be flowing forward and I was being gradually pulled further into the depths. I tried to calm myself and started a gradual gentle paddle with my hands backwards. I did this for a few moments and gradually I found myself moving back. I took another step backwards and then another until the river bed I was standing on was no longer falling away beneath me.

I looked up and saw the girl had reached the other side of the river and was beckoning on me to come. I turned around and saw I was very far off from where the kids were and most of the adults were afar off and not taking note of me at all, being occupied with other matters. Also I didn’t want to raise an alarm so as not to invite the wrath of my mom later. I turned around slowly, still feeling the current of the water trying to pull me into the depths, and started a slow paddle like swim back to the shallow side.

Soon I was back to safety. I grabbed on to the safety rope and turned around but the girl had disappeared. Maybe she lost interest in me and had gone to play with her peers. I followed the rope back to the shore and climbed out of the water and lay on the sand for a long time. My feet felt heavy and my heart raced like I had just run a 100 meter dash. But I was soon in the water again, only this time I stayed well within the shallow zone.

The rest of the outing was uneventful and I never told my mom about the incident. As far as she was concerned we all enjoyed ourselves immensely and without incident. She had no idea one of her sons had stared into the jaws of the abyss, and survived.
Re: The Man In The Church And Other Stories by MOBBDEEP: 11:35am On Jan 24, 2015
Roy Baba, I think you can help me find solution to one thing that has been bothering me.
I have been earnestly searching for someone who has experienced supernatural encounters.
Yes, we experience them daily e.g waking up from sleep, intuition et cetera, but some are, in their league, greater than others e.g the experience of levitating & floating in the air in pure ecstatic bliss!
You definitely have been experiencing things my brother.
Your write-up gives you away, even to the least perceptually-tuned/conscious.
Some of these experiences are, in reality, deeply proven e.g Rev Fathers Xavier I, Alonso & Ignatius Loyola of blessed Catholic faith were known to be suspended in the air occasionally during their private spiritual rituals. I know personally of how people are technically "sang" to in special runes/wordings to usher them into a trance -like highly-suggestible state in the world of hypnosis & hypnotherapy.

Bottom line is, what can you tell a thirsty inquisitive unlearnt mind about Mystics, Extra-Sensorial Perception & Supernatural Encounters?
You are yet to answer my question about what church you fellowship at?

You are good mehn!!!!
And your mind is something else.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Love And Hate Relationship (based On A Truelife Story) / Showcase Your Blog and Get More Comments And Followers / Amina Mama Celebrates Her 62nd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.