Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,777 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law (1052 Views)

National Assembly Moves To Invoke The Constitution Over Buhari's Health / Zaria Law Is Customary Law And Is Not A Violation To Nigeria Constitution! / I Can't Comply With The Constitution & Function Properly- Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by MayorofLagos(m): 7:45am On Jan 04, 2015
The said discriminatory customary law is void as it conflicts with Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution. In the light of all that I have been saying, the appeal is dismissed. Other justices that also concurred to the verdict were Justices Walter Samuel Onnoghen, Clara Bata Ogunbiyi, Kumai Bayang Aka’ahs and  John Inyang Okoro.

In another case on the same subject, the apex court, held that Nigerian customs which disinherit women are repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience and should therefore not be allowed to stand. Thus, the court, declared as repulsive the custom of the Awka people in Anambra State which allows married women to be disinherited upon the death of their husband because they could not produce a male child for the late husband.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/04/inheritance-supreme-court-voids-discrimination-females-igboland/
Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by MayorofLagos(m): 7:49am On Jan 04, 2015
Ive been following this drama for sometime. It is of interest to me for many reasons, part of which is political.

What is the situation now, are daughters and women in Igboland getting their due inheritance or are they still victims of discrimination?
Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by talktimi(m): 7:59am On Jan 04, 2015
Trouble dey sleep........
Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 04, 2015
talktimi:
ignore him, I have been here too but decided to ignore him. He will be pained that way.

2 Likes

Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by MayorofLagos(m): 8:19am On Jan 04, 2015
talktimi:

How is eradication of gender discrimination a "trouble dey sleep...."?

If this was tied to muslim men denying their women right to drive in public would you call it trouble dey sleep?
Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by Ikengawo: 8:23am On Jan 04, 2015

Mayor of Lagos where is your certificate?

1 Like

Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 04, 2015
customized13:
ignore him, I have been hear too but decided to ignore him. He will be pained that way.
you guys have a lot of dirty linen in your closet but always come out to watch those who've found the Courage to wash theirs.
Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by MayorofLagos(m): 10:19am On Jan 04, 2015
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/osu-caste-in-igboland/

Oddly enough, the victims of the Osu system do not have any legal remedy in Igboland. And strangely, some people believe that the humiliating Osu caste system is a part of the Igbo culture nobody should tamper with.

I suggest that something drastic has to be done to eradicate this obnoxious system.

Since the Supreme Court has ruled against discriminatory practices and gave victory to daughters and wives in the Igbo society, we feel it would take the intervention of the learned Justices to advocate and rule on the criminality of osu belief in Igboland and apply interpretations from the law to eradicaye the criminal custom.

Your thoughts.....
Re: The Constitution Vs Igbo Customary Law by MayorofLagos(m): 4:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
Say NO to discrimination against women in Igboland.
Say NO to osu in Igbolnd.

(1) (Reply)

50 Facts You Don't Know About The World / BREAKING NEWS Boko Haram Killed 2,000 People In New Attack On Wednesday / #buhariwhatisyournumber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.