Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,574 members, 7,820,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? (2051 Views)

CATHOLICS: WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT PRAYING TO, OR SPEAKING TO, THE DEAD? / Dear Nigerian's, Do You Know The Meaning Of These Symbols / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? by OmniPotens(m): 9:10am On Dec 15, 2008
During the Eucharistic celebration, when the Priest says "Lift up your hearts" and the people respond "We have lifted it up to the Lord". What does that context "Lift up your hearts" mean.
Re: Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? by Carlosein(m): 10:14am On Dec 15, 2008
omnipotens,

the catechism teaches us that prayer is the raising up of the mind and heart to God.

see link: http://www.proecclesia.com/penny%20catechism/

refer to question no. 141.

now the mass is the most perfect form of prayer and when we begin the most solemn aspect of it (liturgy of the eucharist),

the celebrant (Christ being represented by the priest) invites the congregation to pray by "lifting up our hearts" to God.

hope this helps you.
Re: Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? by Carlosein(m): 10:23am On Dec 15, 2008
OmniPotens:

During the Eucharistic celebration, when the Priest says "Lift up your hearts" and the people respond "We have lifted it up to the Lord". What does that context "Lift up your hearts"  mean.

i think the actual response is "we lift them up to the Lord".
Re: Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? by OmniPotens(m): 8:10pm On Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for the correction with regards the response.

I think I still need to understand more what that context mean.
Re: Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? by smile4kenn(m): 9:11pm On Dec 15, 2008
when we pray, we do pray with our mind and heart

We lift them up to our Lord our God
Re: Catholics: What Is The Meaning Of This Context? by Lady2(f): 6:00am On Dec 16, 2008
OmniPotens:

Thanks for the correction with regards the response.

I think I still need to understand more what that context mean.

ok let me make it simple, it is meant for you to put your focus on God in prayer.

Lift up your heart = pray to God, focus on God, set your heart on God and God alone.

hope that helps.

(1) (Reply)

The Terrible Text Of The Bible - Bishop John Shelby Spong / Have You Register?: Register Today @ Www.christfamilyministries.org / Should A Yahoo Boy Pay Tithe, Prophet Offering Etc ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.