Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Last Three Wishes Of Alexander The Great; A Moral Lesson For Us All. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Last Three Wishes Of Alexander The Great; A Moral Lesson For Us All. (4178 Views)

Countdown To 2016: Make Three Wishes. / Life Lesson: The Richest Man In The Society Of Then. (photo) / Why We Must Live A Moral Life: A Nairalander Personal Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Last Three Wishes Of Alexander The Great; A Moral Lesson For Us All. by Alexk2(m): 3:44am On Jan 05, 2015
The final days of Alexander the Great offer a moral lesson for each one of us.

Alexander, while returning home after conquering many kingdoms fell mortally ill in Babylon. While lying on his deathbed in the palace of Nebuchadnezzar II, he realized the worthlessness of his vast hoard of gold, silver, and jewels, accumulated through his conquests with his sharp sword and his mighty army.

He longed to reach home. He wanted to have a last look of his mother’s face before departing from this mortal world. But, he knew that his sinking health would not let him reach his distant homeland. He called his generals and said, “I will depart from this world soon, I have three wishes, please carry them out without fail.”

With tears flowing down their cheeks, the generals agreed to abide by their king’s last wishes.

“My first wish is that my physicians alone must carry my coffin,” said Alexander.

After a pause, the king continued, “For my second wish is I want the path leading to my grave be strewn with gold, silver and precious stones which are in my treasury while my body is being carried to be buried.

The dying king continued, “My third and last wish is that both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin.”

Though the generals wondered at the king’s strange wishes, no one dared to question or ask him the reason for these three wishes.

One of Alexander’s favourite generals after kissing his hand and pressing it to his heart said, “O king, we assure you that all your wishes will be fulfilled. But could you please enlighten us on why you make such strange wishes?”

At this Alexander took a deep breath and said:

“I would like the world to know of these three fundamentals. I want my physicians to carry my coffin because people should realize that no doctor can really cure anybody. They are powerless and cannot save a person from the clutches of death.

“My second wish to strew gold, silver and other precious stones on the way to the graveyard is to let the people know that though I spent all my life accumulating riches, not even a grain of gold will come with me when I leave this world. I want people to understand that it is a sheer waste of time, energy, and peace of mind when one yearns to be rich.

“With my third wish of having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I want people to know that I came empty handed into this world and likewise will go empty handed from this world.”

source: http://tvaraj.com/2012/08/05/last-three-wishes-of-alexander-the-great/

As we prepare for general election come next month, i hope we all realize that power. riches and position is not all that matter neither is it an end in itself. We will never be remembered by how much money we accumulate or by our title but how well we touch humanity!
“Nothing teaches us about the preciousness of the Creator as much as when we learn the emptiness of everything else.”
― Charles H. Spurgeon

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Last Three Wishes Of Alexander The Great; A Moral Lesson For Us All. by kilokeys(m): 3:50am On Jan 05, 2015
iro nla...

malaria.. does not allow one time for plenty proverbs..

with d banging headaches and cold shivers. abegi.. why una dey lie for Alexander head na? angry
Re: Last Three Wishes Of Alexander The Great; A Moral Lesson For Us All. by Alexk2(m): 4:32am On Jan 05, 2015
kilokeys:
iro nla...

malaria.. does not allow one time for plenty proverbs..

with d banging headaches and cold shivers. abegi.. why una dey lie for Alexander head na? angry

tell me your own true story.

1 Like

Re: Last Three Wishes Of Alexander The Great; A Moral Lesson For Us All. by Alfred200825(m): 5:33am On Jan 05, 2015
@op where you there when he died? who told you all this?
Re: Last Three Wishes Of Alexander The Great; A Moral Lesson For Us All. by Alexk2(m): 8:26am On Jan 05, 2015
Alfred200825: @op where you there when he died? who told you all this?

smh for you!...to start with, i quoted the source and that explain where i got that from and this wasnt just from a single website; itz widely documented by alot of writters. for you to be asking me that ?? makes me smh for you......and if your problem is in believing all that, then you need to read about him to know the kind of person he is made of.

btw., i'm sure you are not there when; idi-amin hold sway in uganda, turkey became an islamic country, when the germans were persecuting the isrealites emass, during the world war 1&2, when nigeria was amalgamated, during the nigeria civil war,.......how come believed all that?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photos: 15-year-old Boy Arrested For Having Sex With Goat / BREAKING: Buhari Appoints New Vice Chancellor For UAM, Makurdi / Man Carries 7 Bags Of Rice On His Head (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.