Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard (27270 Views)

El Rufai 'insults' Osinbajo - Déjà Vu (Vanguard) / PDP Senators Kick As Buhari Fails To Submit List Of Ministers - Vanguard / Buhari's Certificate Matter - Tune Into Channels Television (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by menesheh(m): 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
The controversy over the failure of Muhammadu Buhari to make public his educational qualification has been turned into an issue but the general and his party affirm that they would not dignify what they claim is a non issue.

By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor & Dapo Akinrefon

It all started just over a week ago when the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in the course of its statutory obligations published the details of the presidential candidates and in the place of the educational qualification of Gen. Muhammadu Buhari listed an affidavit.
Buhari, the All Progressives Congress, APC presidential candidate had in the affidavit deposed thus:

“I am the above-named person and deponent to this affidavit therein. All my academic qualifications documents as filled in my presidential form, President APC/001/2015, are currently with the Secretary, Military Board as of the time of presenting this affidavit. The affidavit is made in good faith and for record purpose.”

The use of an affidavit in the place of a certificate had immediately roused suspicion from the general’s political rivals who sought to use the issue to rake mud against a candidate that is making his boldest challenge for the country’s presidency.

Educational qualifications

Given the sterling educational qualifications of his chief rival, President Goodluck Jonathan who holds a doctorate degree in zoology, it was tempting for some to make a big issue of the alleged failure of the APC candidate to produce a certificate. Or was there a doubt as to the claim that Buhari, acclaimed to have been head boy at the famous Katsina College and who subsequently attended some of the world’s best military institutions did not have any certificate to show for his endeavours?

The issue was not helped by the seemingly lacklustre response of the Buhari campaign to the issue. Questions put to campaign officials were deflected as one spokesman told Vanguard to make enquiries to the military board to which Buhari claimed to be in possession of the certificate.
Military officials who initially denied possession of the certificate were to later admit having copies of the former head of state’s credentials as they did for every other retired and serving military official. Sources close to the candidate say that the originals of his certificates were vandalised after the time he was removed as head of state and that the only copies available at the moment are those with the military board.
Remarkably, investigations revealed that Buhari had in the last three presidential contests he partook in, 2003, 2007 and 2011, had consistently used affidavits in the place of the certificates. How the issue became topical this time around in the opinion of some stakeholders is essentially because of the good prospects Buhari has in next month’s presidential election.

Remarkably, the PDP has officially not entered the fray but it is not as if sympathisers of the party and its chieftains are not trying to make a kill on the issue they believe could jeopardise the chances of the greatest threat to the party’s domination of the federal government.

Remarkably, a close aide of Buhari laughed away the matter saying that the campaign would not waste time or energy to go down to the mud with its traducers. A member of the APC presidential screening committee, Dr. Tunji Abayomi, brought another twist to the development in his own response to the issue. Abayomi, a lawyer affirmed that Buhari was screened and found qualified for the office of the president.

He nevertheless brought a twist when he affirmed that the issue of the submission of a certificate was not an issue. His assertion was in line with that of INEC which said that it did not have the powers to screen or disqualify a candidate on the basis of qualification.

In affirming that Buhari was screened and met the qualifications for president, Abayomi had put the poser as to whether presenting “his school certificate or its equivalent met the education precondition set for Presidential Candidates in the Constitution?”

He answered thus: “To begin with, the Constitution does not prescribe the presentation or show of any Certificate to qualify for election to the office of President. Under section 131(d) of our Military Constitution, a person shall be qualified for election to the office of President if “he has been educated up to at least School Certificate level or its equivalent.” While a Certificate may unequivocally show that a contestant has been educated up to at least School Certificate level, his education without a Certificate may show, again unequivocally that he has been educated up to the equivalent of School Certificate level. For example, assuming A is the best all A student in Ajuwa Grammar School, Okeagbe, Akoko. Now on the very day before the commencement of the West African School Certificate, he sexually harassed the daughter of the English teacher as a result of which he was dismissed, will A be said not to have met the education qualification of section 131(d) of the Constitution?”

“In my view A has not only been educated up to at least School Certificate level he would also be deemed to have been educated to its equivalent.

This position finds support in section 131 (d) which neither prescribed a pass which is required for certification nor a fail which denies it. The interest of the Constitution is with the level of the education of the candidate howsoever acquired, not the certificate he acquires ipso facto.

“The APC screening Committee was made up of several eminent highly educated and enlightened men and one woman. They came to the conclusion after putting APC presidential aspirants through a most rigorous test that all the APC aspirants met the constitutional qualifications including education qualification to contest for election to the office of President. They confirmed this by awarding them a certificate. The qualification set by the Constitution for contest is the level of education not its certificate. While a certificate may irrevocably prove that the education qualification has been met, it could in the same manner prove rebut ably only that it has been met.

Possession of a certificate

“Where for example a Certificate has been purchased for example in “oluwole” as it has happened in several instances, a candidate though in possession of a certificate cannot be said to have met the education qualification of the Constitution because he has not been educated not to talk of up to school certificate level.”

“With reference to General Buhari having regard to his unimpeachable military training, an irrefutable presumption was properly made by the APC screening Committee that he met the education qualification set by the Constitution. Those who contest this or who intend to contest that he met the education qualification of section 131(d) have the burden to disprove the irrefutable presumption not General Buhari.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/buhari-certificate-nuisance/

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 07, 2015
Nonsense...i am sure some people would soon come and argue for his certificate...
SAI APC

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by SeverusSnape(m): 1:30pm On Jan 07, 2015
The man should just show his certificates. Simple!
He was head boy at Katsina college and attended some pretigious military academies, right?, Okay; present the certificates and bring an end to this saga.

See this Senseless dude's reply below me.

He calls himself "caseless", I call him SENSELESS!

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Caseless: 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2015
a brilliant piece sent to shut those illiterates on rampage over buhari's result up for ever.

Even if buhari present NEPA BILL as his certificate, I'm going to vote him ahead of that 'animal caretaker' or the zoo-man.

154 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by 9jatriot(m): 1:39pm On Jan 07, 2015
APC Tactics, keep the opposition busy and guessing about an issue. Gives them something to talk about.

However, I feel there is more to this than meets the ear.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by 9jatriot(m): 1:40pm On Jan 07, 2015
Caseless:
a brilliant piece sent to shut those illiterates on rampage over buhari's result up for ever.

Even if buhari present NEPA BILL as his certificate, I'm going to vote him ahead of that 'animal caretaker' or the zoo-man.

Ha ha ha, this guy u r wicked. I could not help but laff

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by chimerase2: 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2015
The empty head has no certificate cheesy

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Caseless: 1:44pm On Jan 07, 2015
chimerase2:
The empty head has no certificate cheesy
once again, go and die!

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by chimerase2: 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
Caseless:
once again, go and die!
u and ur aboookii boko haram hell awaiting virgin seeking brodas should go and DIE and neva to return again

Including buhari

Don't forget to tank me for dis mandary showers of blessing wink

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by rozayx5(m): 1:54pm On Jan 07, 2015
chimerase2:
u and ur aboookii boko haram hell awaiting virgin seeking brodas should go and DIE and neva to return again

Including buhari

Don't forget to tank me for dis mandary showers of blessing wink

cheesy cheesy
caseless is hopeless

44 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by SeverusSnape(m): 1:58pm On Jan 07, 2015
Caseless:
Asinine, he wont present it for you to see. Go and die!
Oh!....Senseless in tha building!!! grin.
Senseless minion!!!... That is your name, This is the third time I'm telling you.
Northern goat.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by SeverusSnape(m): 1:59pm On Jan 07, 2015
rozayx5:

cheesy cheesy
caseless is hopeless
....and Senseless. grin

31 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Caseless: 2:01pm On Jan 07, 2015
AdoIfHitler:

Go and rot in hades you senseless hopeless disgusting abo ki

Mumu
ur unmitigated incivility is on the high side. Who pays attention to a raped duck like u. I know the phylum people with hollow-cephalo like dwell.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by dharyour93(m): 2:05pm On Jan 07, 2015
I see this Certificate Saga as a NO CASE. Why on earth should we keep clamouring on certificate when we all know about the existence of OLUWOLE?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by codedguy1(m): 2:43pm On Jan 07, 2015
If education is expensive, try ignorance!

That's the part the Buharist want to follow.

Its a shame! Why can't we replace the Phd holder with another Phd holder or its equivalent, are we saying because one Phd holder has supposedly failed us we should replace him with someone without a FSLC.

With people like Fashola, Fayemi, Osinbajo in APC it is a disgrace that a Prof will be pitched as an assistant to a certficateless Buhari when Naija is not a private company.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
If Buhari had consistently used sworn affidavit in 2003, 2007, 2011 and still intends to use it in 2015 even though the office of the secretary military board is only 20 mins from the high court where he swore the affidavit, then something is really wrong somewhere.

This is very strange and i'm becoming very suspicious. Could it be that Buhari has been a beneficiary of the corrupt system and had presented a falsified certificate to the military on his application?

Could it be that Buhari actually didn't go to any school and was just a fellow at the US war college. The silence from APC camp doesn't help matters at all but we'll be here to see the end of it.

50 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by atlwireles: 2:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
All this noise, why can't Buhari and his army of APC liars, show Nigerians the educational credentials buhari presented to the Nigerian army in 1962. angry angry angry angry

For a man calling himself Jesus Christ, coming to cleanse Nigeria of corruption, his army credentials MUST be put on the table.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Algebra12: 3:21pm On Jan 07, 2015
dharyour93:
I see this Certificate Saga as a NO CASE. Why on earth should we keep clamouring on certificate when we all know about the existence of OLUWOLE?

Abeg some body should help me. Wetin be Oluwole?

Since this certificate issue started I have been hearing Oluwole. What does it mean?

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2015
Buhari all the way.

Op, mods and NLs make una nö vex o

Join Our Whatsapp Guitar Group

https://www.nairaland.com/2079409/join-whatsapp-guitar-group

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Pataki: 4:02pm On Jan 07, 2015
SeverusSnape:
The man should just show his certificates. Simple!
He was head boy at Katsina college and attended some pretigious military academies, right?, Okay; present the certificates and bring an end to this saga.

“With reference to General Buhari having regard to his unimpeachable military training, an irrefutable presumption was properly made by the APC screening Committee that he met the education qualification set by the Constitution. Those who contest this or who intend to contest that he met the education qualification of section 131(d) have the burden to disprove the irrefutable presumption not General Buhari.

Buhari/Osinbajo 2015!

10 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by dharyour93(m): 4:09pm On Jan 07, 2015
Algebra12:

Abeg some body should help me. Wetin be Oluwole?

Since this certificate issue started I have been hearing Oluwole. What does it mean?

Oluwole is somewhere in Lagos where you can get ANY KIND OF CERTIFICATE CREATED FOR YOU.

In other words, Oluwole is a den of fake certificates

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by kingstylo01(m): 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
observing in 3D cool
Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by haibe(m): 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
No matter what, GMB TILL. ......
Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by MrTeymee(m): 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
His certificates where damaged and he has used the afiidavit consecutively.. Can we have some peace now
I think PDP is just scared shii.. This is the biggest opposition deyve faced so far..

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by jamilkb(m): 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
grin Sai BUHARI cheesy
Sai OSINBAJO cheesy
Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by elantraceey(f): 6:49pm On Jan 07, 2015
My issue is why he didn't just say his certificates were damaged at first.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 07, 2015
na so ooh
Re: Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard by Objektive: 6:49pm On Jan 07, 2015
I don't like GEJ, he is an embarrassment to people that expected so much from him.

but, you see his failures for a reason. He signed the FOI, so much information is available to us now and we can now demand for good leadership. Mr brother, even the APC of Lagos is scared of signing it, you'll scream at the rot in Lagos government if you have the information.

APC keep shouting they want to change Nigeria . But none of their Governors dare domesticates the FOT ACT . I challenge all the state of Governors to domesticate FOI ACT and lets see if they will have any place to hide , lets see if fact an figures of their stealing does not become public in one month of domesticate . why are they afraid of making freedom of information a law in their respective states ? Who is transparent among them ? CHANGE WITHOUT TRANSPARENCY IS DOOM!!!!!

39 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oil Theft: Navy Arrests Tompolo’s Men, Firm Kicks / Niger, Chad Attack Boko Haram After IS Pledge Opens New Fronts -YAHOO NEWS / 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.