Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries (27271 Views)

19-Year-Old Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Her Husband (Throwback Photos) / Buhari, Order Immediate Arrest Of Okonjo-Iweala & Emefiele - By Ilesanmi Omabomi / I’m Not Behind Documentary On Jonathan, Patience And Alison-madueke — Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by SirChelseaAmb: 1:17pm On May 04, 2015
7 Commendable and Remarkable Achievements of the Ministries of Finance and Petroleum Resources Under Goodluck Jonathan by CHINEDU NNARH

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=756822227770836

It is common knowledge that the outgoing Goodluck Ebele Jonathan administration has not lived up to the lofty expectations thrust on it upon its inauguration in 2011, and the federal ministries of Finance and Petroleum Resources have often been singled out for intense criticisms. Though they could have achieved a lot more than they were able to muster, the ministries headed by the under-fire duo of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Diezani Alison-Madueke — the two most powerful, most popular and most maligned members of President Jonathan's cabinet — cannot be dismissed as utter failures. Below is a compilation of 7 laudable achievements that were recorded in the pivotal ministries under President Jonathan.

1. The Rebasing of the National GDP: During Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's tenure as the finance minister, Nigeria's GDP was successfully rebased for the first time in 24 years. This commendable effort not only made Nigeria Africa's largest economy, but it also kept us on course to breeze into the exclusive and elusive club of the world's 20 largest economies by 2020. The only (and major) downside of this achievement, however, was its failure to trickle down to the average Nigerian. By rebasing our Gross Domestic Product, the economy merely expanded on the basis of the increasing population figures of the country and not due to its increased productivity. In essence, what we got was an economic growth without an economic development.

14 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by SirChelseaAmb: 1:18pm On May 04, 2015
2. Partial Fuel Subsidy Removal
The decision of the Goodluck Jonathan Presidency to withdraw the subsidy paid on crude oil and natural gas products was a brilliant one, but its timing was extremely ill-advised, hence the massive protests that greeted its announcement in 2012. Fuel subsidy is a price manipulation technique employed by the government to fix the pump price of petroleum products at certain amounts, irrespective of their actual market prices, in order to make them affordable for the average Nigerian. To compensate the retailers for their losses, the government pays them the difference between the fixed prices of the products and their actual prices as determined by market forces. Needless to say, this subsidy regime is not sustainable and it goes against the principles of capitalism which Nigeria practices. If fully implemented, the removal of fuel subsidy in Nigeria will free up as much as $6 billion per annum, a sum that can be channelled into other sectors of the economy. But, the downsides of a rushed total fuel subsidy removal are numerous: an immediate spike in the pump price of petroleum products, transport fares and foodstuff; an increased spate of layoffs and business closures due to a rising cost of production; rising unemployment; an attendant deterioration in the standard of living of the average Nigerian; and civil unrest.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by SirChelseaAmb: 1:20pm On May 04, 2015
3. Creation of Sure-P and Related Programmes
The Subsidy Re-investment Programme (SURE-P), Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS), Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YOUWIN), Community Service Scheme (CSS), National Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP) and Growing Girls and Women in Nigeria (GWIN) were some of the palliative programmes created by the federal government in response to the partial fuel subsidy removal of 2012. Together, these collaborations between the Federal Ministry of Finance and other federal ministries, parastatals and agencies have yielded almost 2 million direct, indirect and temporary jobs across the country.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by midolian(m): 1:20pm On May 04, 2015
The thunder wey go strike person wey write ds article stil dey gym..the only notable achievement as far as I am concerned is "Enriching themselves". All these so called achievements are means through which these women have used to scam Nigerians and enrich themselves.

119 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 04, 2015
And dey kip shouting change
Hope we don't regret voting transformation out of power
I hate "change"

7 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by SirChelseaAmb: 1:21pm On May 04, 2015
4. Introduction of the Cashless Policy
The finance ministry through the Central Bank of Nigeria shot the Nigerian banking industry into the 21st century with its introduction of the electronic banking system, popularly known as the cashless policy. The cashless policy — which seeks to reduce the volume of paper currency in circulation — has not only helped to significantly improve the ease of banking and doing business in the country, but it has also helped to significantly reduce the ease of money laundering, the cost of printing new naira notes and armed robbery, among others.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by SirChelseaAmb: 1:22pm On May 04, 2015
5. Establishment of Nigeria's Sovereign Investment Authority
Nigeria's long overdue sovereign wealth fund was finally established in 2011 by the federal government and it is being spearheaded by finance and petroleum resources ministries. The International Monetary Fund defines SWF as "special purpose investment funds or arrangements, owned by the general government." A 2015 report released by Linaburg-Maduell ranked the NSIA as the second most transparent sovereign authority in the world in the year 2014. Fifty-one global sovereign wealth authorities were surveyed and it's the only African sovereign wealth authority to be so ranked.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by SirChelseaAmb: 1:23pm On May 04, 2015
6. The Hosting of the World Economic Forum on Africa
In 2014, Nigeria became only the second country in sub-Saharan Africa (after South Africa) to host the World Economic Forum on Africa. The WEFA is an apex regional economic summit organized by the Switzerland-based World Economic Forum which brings together Africa's best brains in journalism, business, academics and politics to deliberate on the continent's most pressing socioeconomic issues. Official estimates by its managing director, Dr. Philipp Rosler, revealed that the 2014 WEFA attracted nearly $70 billion worth of investments to the continent and reached a global audience of about 2.1 billion people, mostly through the social media.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by SirChelseaAmb: 1:24pm On May 04, 2015
7. Nigeria Produced the First-ever female OPEC President
Nigeria's first female petroleum minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, made history when she was elected to serve as the first female president of the 12-member Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in 2014. Unfortunately, she (and consequently, Nigeria) will likely lose this position on May 20 when the present cabinet will be dissolved and she's not likely to be recalled by the incoming Muhammadu Buhari administration.

Email: ChineduNnarh@gmail.com

Twitter: @ChineduNnarh

Don't forget to like my Facebook page here

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by Tallesty1(m): 1:27pm On May 04, 2015
These Guys, Just like Mr. President forgot the present while making plans/working for a better future.

Okonjo Iweala is now a slang for wickedness in some parts of Kogi state.

Dunno why!

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by joseph1832(m): 1:29pm On May 04, 2015
midolian:
The thunder wey go strike person wey write ds article stil dey gym..the only notable achievement as far as I am concerned is "Enriching themselves".
And according to Nigerian terms, enriching yourself is a very great achievement!.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by joseph1832(m): 1:30pm On May 04, 2015
SirChelseaAmb:
7. Nigeria Produced the First-ever female OPEC President
Nigeria's first female petroleum minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, made history when she was elected to serve as the first female president of the 12-member Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in 2014. Unfortunately, she (and consequently, Nigeria) will likely lose this position on May 20 when the present cabinet will be dissolved and she's not likely to be recalled by the incoming Muhammadu Buhari administration.

Email: ChineduNnarh@gmail.com

Twitter: @ChineduNnarh
So does this affect the price of Yam, Rice, Pepper and Maggi?.

Or does it create jobs and provide good roads and stable power supply for Nigerians?

If not, Amadioha faya all of them!!!.

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by jamex93(m): 1:31pm On May 04, 2015
embarassed embarassed embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by tomakint: 1:35pm On May 04, 2015
midolian:
The thunder wey go strike person wey write ds article stil dey gym..the only notable achievement as far as I am concerned is "Enriching themselves".
What is wrong with you clowns? Does this place look like a playing ground to you? undecided I hope the beneficiaries of the Sure-P, YouWin initiatives will not call on that thunder to strike you down......now scram boy!

19 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by joseph1832(m): 1:35pm On May 04, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
And dey kip shouting change Hope we don't regret voting transformation out of power I hate "change"
Oremi Mumu!. I see say your mumu stilll dey intact! grin.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 04, 2015
joseph1832:
Oremi Mumu!. I see say your mumu stilll dey intact! grin.
Noted!
I love transformation
I hate "change"

3 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by luvmijeje(f): 1:39pm On May 04, 2015
Corruption is still fighting back............ What if it was me? Won't I fight back? Unfortunately it's all for naught.

1 Like

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by midolian(m): 1:40pm On May 04, 2015
tomakint:

What is wrong with you clowns? Does this place look like a playing ground to you? undecided I hope the beneficiaries of the Sure-P, YouWin initiatives will not call on that thunder to strike you down......now scram boy!
sharap! If you are too daft not to know the sure P and YOUWIN are among the means employed by these pple to scam Nigerians, then you don't deserve my attention.. Don't mention me again.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by LordCenturion(m): 1:42pm On May 04, 2015
Am 100% sure that it's Mrs okonjo iweala that cook up this or her daughter...

She is part of clueless one mumulization, the dullest president in the world history

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by joseph1832(m): 1:44pm On May 04, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

Noted!
I love transformation
I hate "change"
That's why your level of mumuness is still very intact!!!.

22 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by tomakint: 1:45pm On May 04, 2015
midolian:
sharap! Don't mention me again.
Ahmed, it is crystal clear to me now that your STUPIDITY is like PEAK MILK because, 'IT IS IN YOU' undecided

7 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 04, 2015
SirChelseaAmb:
4. Introduction of the Cashless Policy
The finance ministry through the Central Bank of Nigeria shot the Nigerian banking industry into the 21st century with its introduction of the electronic banking system, popularly known as the cashless policy. The cashless policy — which seeks to reduce the volume of paper currency in circulation — has not only helped to significantly improve the ease of banking and doing business in the country, but it has also helped to significantly reduce the ease of money laundering, the cost of printing new naira notes and armed robbery, among others.

only this makes sense all other things written here are just senseless nonsense

11 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by midolian(m): 1:47pm On May 04, 2015
tomakint:

I am Ahmed, it is crystal clear to me now that your STUPIDITY is like PEAK MILK because, 'IT IS IN YOU' undecided
Use the lagoon if u don't like my name, D*ckhead.

7 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by joseph1832(m): 1:47pm On May 04, 2015
tomakint:

SURE-P and YOUWIN? Wey dem come use take yash people wife and girlfriend taya!.

No wonder Fashola called SURE-P, SURE-POCKET!. Because those at the helm of affairs have very sure pockets with the way their pockets and their dicks benefited!.

13 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by tomakint: 1:55pm On May 04, 2015
joseph1832:
SURE-P and YOUWIN? Wey dem come use take yash people wife and girlfriend taya!.

No wonder Fashola called SURE-P, SURE-POCKET!. Because those at the helm of affairs have very sure pockets with the way their pockets and their dicks benefited!.
Oh sorry ooo, I never knew dem use Sure-P and YouWin yansh your wife abi na your girlfriend? grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by midolian(m): 1:58pm On May 04, 2015
joseph1832:
And according to Nigerian terms, enriching yourself is a very great achievement!.
you dey mind them? All these things they call achievements are means by which these women scammed Nigerians..

12 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by Blurry: 1:59pm On May 04, 2015
lol
Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by joseph1832(m): 2:00pm On May 04, 2015
tomakint:

Oh sorry ooo, I never knew dem use Sure-P and YouWin yansh your wife abi na your girlfriend? grin grin
Oh for your info, I'm not married and given GEJ record of abysmal and recalcitrant performance, I will be very stewpid to have applied!.

In the words of Fela "Clear road for Jagajaga".

15 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by ogawisdom(m): 2:00pm On May 04, 2015
Really o di mma
Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by Okuda(m): 2:00pm On May 04, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
And dey kip shouting change
Hope we don't regret voting transformation out of power
I hate "change"

keep your silly dumbass opinion to yourself. If you feel you can do better, go and contest. Dolt!

4 Likes

Re: 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 04, 2015
God bless Gej forever

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amotekun Not Unconstitutional, Falana Tackles Malami / Photos From The PDP Presidential Campaign Rally In Lagos / Buhari: Certificate Nuisance! - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.