Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,151 members, 7,860,123 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:14 AM

Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral (670 Views)

Diezani's Bribe To INEC Staff : EFCC Secures Final Forfeiture Order / PDP To INEC: Declare Wada As Winner Of Kogi Election / Oby Ezekwesili, Nigerians React To INEC's Decision To Shift Polls On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by makzeze: 5:44pm On Jan 07, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to be absolutely neutral during the forthcoming general elections.

Jonathan made the call at the Presidential Villa in Abuja yesterday while swearing in new INEC Commissioner Prof. Akinola Murtala Salawu.

According to the president, the INEC is supposed to be absolutely neutral to conduct credible elections.

Jonathan noted that Nigerians were worried about whether the INEC could actually conduct credible elections this year.

"INEC is supposed to be absolutely neutral is their work to conduct credible elections because the whole world is watching at the INEC and you (Salawu) are coming into INEC at a very critical time with 40 days to election. So, you are coming at a critical time that I believe the chairman who is here himself also needs your services.

"I believe Prof. Jega will even want to double the number of staff if he has the resources to make sure that they can cope because Nigerians are getting worried about whether the INEC can actually conduct elections", the president said.

Jonathan also directed INEC chairman Professor Attahiru Jega, to ensure that all Nigerians get Permanent Voters' Cards (PVCs).

The president maintained that the forthcoming elections could not be conducted if some Nigerians are deprived of their right to vote.

Jonathan stressed that Nigerians must decide who would govern them during the forthcoming general elections.

He said the INEC must do everything possible to ensure that all Nigerians have their voters' cards to be able to vote during elections.

He noted that he was aware of some governors' complaints that they were yet to get their PVCs, saying this implied that some many Nigerians were also yet to get theirs; a situation, he said, made the citizens a bit worried.

The president explained that unlike in 2011, Nigerians were these days interested in having their voters' cards because his administration had sanitised the electoral process.
"Talking about the PVCs, even some governors are complaining that they're yet to get their PVCs. If governors are yet to get their voters cards, of course, that means so many Nigerians are yet to get and people are a bit worried. But to me, I'm quite pleased, not pleased in the negative sense, the awareness that has come on board that Nigerians want to have their voters cards. In 2011, no Nigerian complained about voters card, and that's why when some politicians talk, I just laugh.

"Before 2011, how many Nigerians complained about not having voters card because elections were not conducted with voters cards? Nobody cared, we're all adults in Nigeria and we knew what was happening. But some people came on board and sanitised the electoral process, but others want to take the glory. We've to commend ourselves that today, ordinary Nigerians, biggest businessmen, religious leaders are complaining I want my voters card, nobody talked about that before 2011.

"So, people should commend us and I'm please that people are talking about voters cards.
So, the chairman of INEC, luckily you're here, all Nigerians must get voters cards, we cannot conduct an election where some people will not have the right to vote. People must decide who rules them at all levels not just about presidential elections, at the lowest level of elections conducted by INEC--the state assembly elections, House of Representatives, Senate and Presidency.

"all Nigerians must vote and INEC must do everything possible to make sure that all Nigerians have their voters card because we cannot a situation where some Nigerians will not vote that day. So Prof. Salau and Prof. Jega, I wish you success", the president said.

He said Salau deserved to be congratulated because he should have resumed office long ago, but because of some issues, the government "stepped it down".

"These are the kind of people we want to put in INEC, people with impeccable character. So, Prof, we want to charge you to go and demonstrate clearly that you are somebody with an impeccable character and that you will do good to all Nigerians irrespective of anything", he said.

Speaking to State House journalists later, Jega assured that all registered Nigerians would get their PVC, before February 14.

"Every registered Nigerian will get his PVC before February 14th, God willing", Jega said.

Source:http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/43790-jonathan-to-inec-be-absolutely-neutral
Re: Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by falconey(m): 6:07pm On Jan 07, 2015
Incase
Re: Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by SeverusSnape(m): 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2015
Of course they should.
Re: Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 07, 2015
Okay Sir! INEC has no choice but to conduct a Free, Fair and Transparent election. Not the type that happened in EKiti, Osun, Niger and Anambra States
Re: Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by ORACLE1975(m): 6:18pm On Jan 07, 2015
dont worry about that,FEBUHARI SAI BUHARI.
Re: Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by double0seven(m): 6:24pm On Jan 07, 2015
rubbish..... if you want INEC to be neutral, all you need to do is make completely independent of the Presidency. As a start, INEC ought to have full financial autonomy.
Re: Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by SweetJoystick(m): 6:37pm On Jan 07, 2015
Nice if GEJ means it, but that Salawu I hope say no be dirty job he dey come do angry
Re: Jonathan To INEC: Be Absolutely Neutral by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
God bless President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. Sign of a great leader. Politics is not a do or die affair. It's all about the people's choice. Let the better candidate win. INEC should be neutral to all. A vote for GEJ is a vote for transparency. God bless Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

MUST READ - 20 Important Things To Remember Before You Vote In Feb. / Presidential Elections: 15 Tough Questions GEJ Wants Buhari To Answer / Does Buhari Have Certificate? What PDP Must Do!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.