Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,147 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 (11055 Views)

NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Dearth Of Quality Lecturers Affecting Universities In Nigeria – NUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by eyamensah(m): 9:33pm On Jan 08, 2015
free2ryhme:

if they know Nigerian Universities lecturers are substandard why are they still employed by the fg

Read the article its talking about Private-owned varsities...the FG doesn't employ lecturers for them!
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by BizBloke(m): 9:33pm On Jan 08, 2015
"The guidelines and requirements of NUC and other professional bodies place greater constraint on some proprietors as they would have preferred to employ poor quality teaching staff to maximise their profit."

SMH. Evil capitalism.
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 08, 2015
What do you expect when the recruitment process is riddled with nepotism & bigotry?
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by heroarams(m): 9:44pm On Jan 08, 2015
NUC should get off their high horse and remove their white hat, and face its statutory duties.

Haven't we all seen a scenario where a Nigerian lecturer goes to present a paper abroad and s/he is retained to start lecturing in the university over there.

During my time in the university, some of this same Nigerian lecturers came to class with no lecture notes and deliver good lecture notes and explanation every single time. Even with few days interval between following lecture days.

It surprised me till date; all he does is to ask 'where did we stop the other time??' And he will continue as if he just went for a short tea break.and the lecturer finished from a 'nigerian university' ABU, Zaria.

All this Nigerian education 'is this' and 'is that' BS should stop, especially for those who can't do anything to help the prevailing situation.

Abegg, give it up for the Nigerian Lecturers and students alike!!!
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by oluwagream: 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2015
Oh, you need good leadership to tell u that "lecturals" is spelt "lecturers" Something is wrong with this generation.
tobaflexy:
If university lack good lecturals so also NIGERIA lack GOOD leaderSHIP,,,,,
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by jtina(f): 9:52pm On Jan 08, 2015
sauceny:
The lecturers are impacting on the students,the same knowledge they acquired from their lectures,whom in turn acquired theirs from their great grand lecturer...

In other wordz;we still learning same thing Awolowo,Azikiwe & Tafawa learnt during the 60's...Nigeria as a nation isn't moving a muscle forward, neither are they reversing backward.

We stagnant like a sewage water.

True talk. D system being run in dis country is a big joke. We seriously need change in all sector of our economy if we must move forward.
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 08, 2015
If dey knw dat nigerian lecturers aren't qualified enuf den why do dey keep acRrediting courses? Its all bribery....
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by chacha233: 10:01pm On Jan 08, 2015
Start working from home! Great job for students, stay-at-home moms or anyone needing an extra income... You only need a computer and a reliable internet connection... Make $90 hourly and up to $12000 a month by following link at the bottom and signing up... You can have your first check by the end of this week..............www.Jobs-spot.com

Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by stagger: 10:04pm On Jan 08, 2015
Many of my lecturers were very sound. That was the era when there was opportunity to travel for further studies. Now it is more difficult. Even the TETFUND which is supposed to help in this regard is now a matter or ethnicity. Try going to any university, state or Federal and apply for a lecturing appointment. The first question you will be asked is: what state are you from?

This is the main reason universities are lacking quality teaching staff. Qualified ones are now forced to have to move back to their states of origin to stand a chance at getting employed. Otherwise they will have to look abroad. Go to any typical university in the North. A Southerner who is a first class brain with a solid PhD will never be employed over a Hausa-speaking indigene with a Masters. Go to a typical southern university. The discrimination over their own southern brothers is even worse. An Igbo man has virtually no chance of being employed in UNIPORT or RSUST. Or go to UNIZIK or UNN. An indigene of Abia state or Imo state cannot be employed over an Anambra man. Discrimination even among people who speak the same language.

Until we stop this quota system or Federal Character system we are operating, the situation will not improve.

3 Likes

Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by ebucha: 10:08pm On Jan 08, 2015
sauceny:
The lecturers are impacting on the students,the same knowledge they acquired from their lectures,whom in turn acquired theirs from their great grand lecturer...

In other wordz;we still learning same thing Awolowo,Azikiwe & Tafawa learnt during the 60's...Nigeria as a nation isn't moving a muscle forward, neither are they reversing backward.

We stagnant like a sewage water.
100likes
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by stephnie44(f): 10:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
Tel dem.some. Nigerian lecturers r not worth it.i had one in those days 'uwaezuoke' he would always read text bk 4 us word 4 word nd leave us givin us wk book 2 fil as CA.9ja I hail o
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by veraiyke(m): 10:14pm On Jan 08, 2015
Na today una know o.
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by kus4fame(m): 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2015
Striving to clear my doubts... if this post is not just all about private universities...I don't c dis as generic
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by hedonistic: 10:31pm On Jan 08, 2015
Some of the lecturers are even worse than the average student in terms of knowledge and/or intellectual capacity.
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by Gynacologist(m): 10:40pm On Jan 08, 2015
Saaog:
lol, but is not evrybody dat fancy. Lecturing
exactly!
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by xabi148(m): 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]very soon na robot go bcum lecturers hope sey oyibo no go put prick to avoid sexual harrasment
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by Hollawaley(m): 10:54pm On Jan 08, 2015
Yeah...really really lacking good lecturers......nd help us flush out those ones who would say no student can score an "A" in my subject
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by easy4beno(m): 12:18am On Jan 09, 2015
synergycom19:
Off course we knew that's the reason they produce unemployable graduates,yet they keep the agitation for more pay consistent. Making noise up and down,benefitting for only some jobless groups.

Well I'm not surprised the way you just reasoned with your comment, it shows how angry and unnecessarily hostile you are to graduates of private universities, its not needed, pple like you only cause e-fights on NL, but I will not get down to that with you..to remind you, Nigeria's educational problems are not limited to private unis..its the same way it cuts across from states unis to federal univs..so your assertion is baseless, I need not remind you that mr president and his wife are graduates and of cos not from private univs..yet their english flawless-ness so to say is as obvious as you can see and hear..the question we should be asking NUC is that all the various fundamental issues militating against education in Nigeria that they have identified recently and in times past, what have they done about them, how have they proffered solutions to these issues, ofcos the blame would be transferred to either govt or one kind of university, they will not accept their failures..

So to cut the long story short, always get your facts right and know that education in Nigeria needs to be given top priority &focus generally, from the primary level to the tertiary level, and you should know that trading the blame game on private universities would not bring about any positive change..
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by Nobody: 12:43am On Jan 09, 2015
The standard of Nigerian universities is probably the poorest on the planet!
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by Ositawap: 1:24am On Jan 09, 2015
abeg make dem come flush all dis old tinz way da do la say dem one die wen dem da lecture..from unizik...
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by mechanics(m): 5:35am On Jan 09, 2015
Big4wig:
School just started this week and I'm already looking forward to the next break.. undecided
hmm, u beta settle down n read.
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 09, 2015
Nna I don see some lecturers for my school wey my primary six teacher better pass... I wonder then what was their accreditation before employment, now I know Is just the PHD that put them in that position. I mercy for those that always waste their precious time waiting for those lecturer to tutor them.. They only read what's in the textbook and don't stay more than an hour, insult student when question are pushed to them to answer.. Come like four times and claimed they have finish their course outline for the semester, a course outline of almost 500 pages... Student will keep on suffering to understand one page and in the end they will ask those that did not write their exam well to come and see them ( sorting). With all this most student don't mind coming to school cos they know what the end will be and for us that has vow not To sort any lecturer..We are always the scape Goat.... They will give assignment and through the back tell the course rep to collect 1k from those that can't afford to write the assignment and those that can write when they submit they would keep on asking you all manner of question as if na u only come school and after give you any mark that pleases them; 70 percent below those that paid....And when reported to the Authorities they will tell you to do what they tell you and stop complaining......I can tell you many are there just as they came and going out same way as they entered with the fake certificate and after start claiming no Job... Instead of fighting back at lecturers they keep fighting with Employers... One thing that I know in this life is that any inculcated out there are eager for self employment while those in their tabula rasa state are still looking for status with employment......Fuk Lecturers!!!!!, Fck Employers!!! Entrepreneur,aka Self employment Is the way!!.
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by zemaye: 8:41am On Jan 09, 2015
stagger:
Many of my lecturers were very sound. That was the era when there was opportunity to travel for further studies. Now it is more difficult. Even the TETFUND which is supposed to help in this regard is now a matter or ethnicity. Try going to any university, state or Federal and apply for a lecturing appointment. The first question you will be asked is: what state are you from?

This is the main reason universities are lacking quality teaching staff. Qualified ones are now forced to have to move back to their states of origin to stand a chance at getting employed. Otherwise they will have to look abroad. Go to any typical university in the North. A Southerner who is a first class brain with a solid PhD will never be employed over a Hausa-speaking indigene with a Masters. Go to a typical southern university. The discrimination over their own southern brothers is even worse. An Igbo man has virtually no chance of being employed in UNIPORT or RSUST. Or go to UNIZIK or UNN. An indigene of Abia state or Imo state cannot be employed over an Anambra man. Discrimination even among people who speak the same language.

Until we stop this quota system or Federal Character system we are operating, the situation will not improve.
THE Bolded is absolutely wrong, i am in the system in the north and am from the west i and many others were considered no runs involved, meanwhile it is only in the north here you will see prof. chiamaka as dean of a faculty.
let me brief you we have a colleague that relocated from a southern university because of discrimination, i am not saying it's non existent here but compared to other parts of the country i have been fortunate to have first hand info and even witnessed myself the north is far more tolerant

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by psalmuelwater(m): 9:28am On Jan 09, 2015
Later their students will come here and open threads like " 10 reasons why Bsc is superior to HND" , they leave the main issue that should be addressed urgently.
Re: Universities Lack Quality Lecturers - NUC January 8, 2015 by nickxtra(m): 10:29am On Jan 09, 2015
Yet, we are being told of how new Universities are established, instead of retructuring the existing ones for optimal performance. This Government self! Contradicitng itself here and there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eleven(11) Powerful Robert Mugabe Quotes / Lifting The Ban On No Mobile Phones In High School. YES OR NO??? / Team Nigeria Makes History, Wins Bronze In International Physics Olympiad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.