Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,964 members, 7,821,383 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Why You Should Never Get A Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why You Should Never Get A Job (3217 Views)

I'm Suddenly Out Of A Job With Amazing Credentials In Petroleum Engineering UK / me / How To Get A Job Without Work Experience By Abdussalam Amoo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Never Get A Job by Seun(m): 10:01am On Aug 16, 2006
1. It’s the stupidest way you can possibly generate income, because you only get paid when you’re working.

2. The problem with getting experience from a job is that you usually just repeat the same limited experience over and over.

3. Getting a job is like enrolling in a human domestication program. You learn how to be a good pet.

4. Employee income is the most heavily taxed there is.

5. Many employees believe getting a job is the safest and most secure way to support themselves. Morons.

6. When you run into an idiot in the corporate world, you have to turn around and say, “Sorry, boss.”

7. When you want to increase your income, do you have to sit up and beg your master for more money?

8. An inbred social life.

9. Loss of freedom.

10. Becoming a coward.

So says Steve Pavlina, who has been self-employed for more than a decade:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/

I don't agree with some of his reasons. Do you?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by ozobemem(m): 11:02am On Aug 16, 2006
my man u are great by bringing out all this point, but you know it is not easy to be self employed, especially in this country.

Can u tell me how to start

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by uzomaeze(m): 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2006
job job job the name its self is so controversila because it looks more like a person's name than a title its self its has so many omens but what can we say , about getting a job well though i'm still studying the fact is i try to build an enterprenuerial spirit in me but you see seun itss not easy the way you see it this is naija and people don't know what to do you are a lucky chap because you've got some good ideas in you like nairaland.com but ahving said that , io want to point out something and that is young people don't take thier lives serious, so you see a group of frustrated people telling you its not easy or trying to leave this country in search of the golden flees well wish them well, for those of us that have a job think and act to find another or build a multiple stream of income cheers
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by diyobdw(f): 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2006
lol

i can relate with most of them
but men that is not a frame of mind of any employee that does not have near plans to be a boss should wear!
or else you will be more frustrated than a lesbian in a gay world! cheesy
I still say and know something we all cant be enterprenuers!

it like some will have the skills to be paid for and some just acquire the money to pay for the skills

do ur sef = do it well

while

do it all by ur self = to kill ur sef
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by DeepSoul(f): 6:55pm On Aug 16, 2006
No I do not agree with some of his reasons!

#6 When you run into an idiot in the corporate world, you have to turn around and say, “Sorry, boss.”

It means you're automatically signing up to become an idiot once you decide to be an employer! That's dumb

Becoming an entrepreneur is the farthest thing from the minds of most 9ja youths. If u want to find out, go 2 a Nigerian Uni and ask students why exactly it is they are in school. Like ozobemem said, it's not exactly easy 2 be self-employed in 9ja. But I strongly believe that even in the face of the harshest conditions, any1 can be sucessful with hard work, determination and God on their side! You can create a river in the desert sef.

So young pple, better not wait for the Nigerian govt to provide jobs for u. We should create jobs for ourselves cos 9ja has got a lot of opportunities. Sadly, most of us dont see dem!
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by tafari(m): 11:42pm On Aug 16, 2006
I agree totally with all the reasons. Being an employee with not get you out of the rat race unless you have alternative source(s) of income.
As an employee your attitude manner n disposition are conditioned( to the tune of ur employer), they do the thinking most time, you are just to implement, Your monthly salary is already a ceiling to ur financial ability. you are made to believe that(ur salary) is your worth. meanwhile you are far above that if u look at business/investment opportunities around.
I am an employee now. but will soon leave to manage my businesses.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by ogbes(m): 12:11pm On Aug 17, 2006
the truth is that getting a job is like postponning evil days.a time ll come when u ll no longer be needed by ur coy,no matter how good u are on the job.Have u guys ever taken time to study the life of those who are poor in their later days, they are not those that were not employed but rather those who work for others all thru their active days.go and ask any pensioner is greatest regret today.my advice is that we try nd get a good job,from there we learn the secret of been an ent,resign and allow other to come in then u venture into bizness.
by so doing u will be helping urself and the society.
if 10% of pensioners today venture into bizness years back,unemploment rate today would have been reduce by 90%.
lets be wise and not follow their footstep .
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by Ukpekeson(m): 9:03pm On Aug 18, 2006
Self employment is good but the money to start with is not easy to come by undecided
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by tellmemore(m): 9:21am On Aug 19, 2006
Y you should never get a job?

Try being broke.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by naomijt(f): 10:29am On Aug 19, 2006
Nothing wrong with getting a job or being an employee. Not everyone has what it takes to be an entrepreneur, and we must not forget that.

if you look at Nigerians, there are more self-employed people than paid employees (every one-man store, bread-seller, shoe-maker etc you meet is a self-employed person). And though self-employed still have to say "sorry" to some idiot every other day.

Again, note that most of these self-employed people are still poor! Obviously, self-employment does not necessarilly translate to wealth.

then some of us believe that money should not be the only factor involved in taking decisions like this. How about fulfilment? How about values? I definitely disagree with that writer.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by raldsfield(m): 10:47am On Aug 19, 2006
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
Good point mentioned there are alot of self-employed that still die poor, start a business and it falls to live to its potential. The is because there business lacks experience and management skills.

By Donald Trump, the only reason why you should get a job is to gain experience, and because you love what you do. If you don't love what you do, you can excel in it. But I work for the money, I don't love what I do, but I excel, not to the potential of my ability.

I working for the cash, have to save toward doing the things I love to do. I like building things fell in love with it when I supervised the building of my dads house at the age of 20 years.

I have a flair for fashion and I know I will have my fashion out fit some day, back in Uni days made and sold shirts, T-shirt and polo,even crested them. Working now is the only way I can save toward these dreams. I also did deals, finding buyers for products on whole sale bases, it was cool, negotiating, loved that too.

Man you have to work, you have to learn how to manage people, except you want to be a middle man doing deals.

So man you have to work but not all your youth years, I intend working to raise my capital. If I manage myself well and don't fall in love in the next 2 years I will be well ahead.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by gidig(m): 8:56pm On Aug 19, 2006
AS someone who worked for about five months before owning his own business, I can relate to some of the things listed but we really nee to make a few clarifications.I think the basic factor is the minds of people. People leave school and hope to get a job.

Recently, I had an experience that drove this home very strongly. I had gone to my lama mater with two people;one. an accountant in bank and the other owns his growing business.The banker does some things by the side (intrapreneur?) and he knows that given the kinds of business prospects and value his business owner friend has, he could not deal on the same level with the him.

When it was time to introduce them to a gathering of about a thousand people, I noticed that they clapped more for the banker than they did for the business owner.The banker noticing this leaned over to his business owner friend and laughed that they are clapping for my job. In the minds of at least over 90% of the people, the bank job is their concept of success.

It is interesting because I sometime find it hard how people live on salaries.Don't get me wrong. I am not there yet.In fact as I type this, I have less than 20k in my account but I am not worried cos I know that there are jobs that I have done that will bring in multiple of that. As a matter of fact, I have to get to the office on sunday,tommorrow in order to be able to meet one of my deadlines.

Over the years of learning and growing, I have been delivered from the concept of wages and I think more in terms of profit in relation to the opportunities that are before me.By woning my own business, I have been able to leap frog ahead and deal with the bosses of most of my friends now.

Is it easy? NO!!! It will be hypocritical of me to say that I did not want to get a job after graduation.It was a day of deep thinking that did it from me. My dad had worked in the civil service for over 25 years.He had risen to the top that one could possible get to,with a house in 1004 and official cars.ON retirement, he still went to work for one of his bosses who had set up a consultancy firm.

I told myself that it was not worth it postponing the evil day.I'd better deal with my being wealthy while I am still young rather than wait until I am in my seventies and gripe about the good ol days.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by cyrinus(m): 7:32am On Aug 20, 2006
Hello guys, you have all spoken well. I want to say that 'Getting a job is good but remaining on the job forever is bad'. We all know that many people would want to own their own business but for the start up capital, the entrepreneurial experience and the psychological balance required to own and sustain a business. For these reasons, therefore, many people must get jobs. Not all were born with the proverbial silver spoons in their mouths.

Also think of a situation where everybody becomes a business owner, who then will do the jobs as the employees? If all of us become drivers, who will be the passenger? Therefore, in any economy, some people must own the firms while others must work for them by getting the jobs.

On the whole, however, while we get the jobs, we should aim at owning ours. We may start with a part time business, employ people too, then when we are a bit stabilized in it, we can call it QUITS.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by babadee(m): 5:49pm On Aug 20, 2006
the guy is probabbly right!!!
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by gidig(m): 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2006
I must not fail to add that working in an organization before setting up has a great deal of advanatage in terms of setting up stryctures and accountability,especially if one has worked in a place where there are loads of things to learn.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by Seun(m): 8:26pm On Aug 20, 2006
You're trying to confuse us by using high-sounding words with little meaning. "Structures and accountability" equals bullshit. If what you're saying is really correct, say it in English!! cheesy
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by gidig(m): 6:39pm On Aug 21, 2006
Easy with the words seun.As I wrote in the early post, I happen to run my own business.I did not really get to work much in an environment where things like How to price for your services,taxes(oh you never know until the quote you give is deducted for the sake of witholding tax and you start asking why they are paying tax on your behalf), and with the new pension thing in now,you really must start planning for the retirement of your people if you employ more than five people.It is not voluntary-it is mandatory.All those have to go into your books and your billings.That is what I mean by accountability. Someone who has worked in a bigger organization will know how to factor those in. I did not and I was short changing myself biog time and wondering how our bigger competition could charge the big fees they charge and still get clients to pay them.

By structure, I mean 'who does what and who is accountable or responsible for what as you begin to grow. If you have a passion for what you do as most successful entrepreneurs, you really want to do everything.and fail to grow the business beyond yourself. The trick to transiting is creating the plan for people to do things even when you are bot around.

hope that is okay,SEun!And the shit has been taken away from the bull!
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by bolaoni(m): 6:55pm On Aug 21, 2006
I have been following this thread for some time now and holding on to my opinions until today.

Well, I will like to support what gidig has said. Well said Bros.

My own take on this is that people, youths/adults, don't like taking risks. It is risky to start your own business but the reward is greater. I have always learnt that your rise in life will definitely depend on the level of risks you are willing to take. NO PAIN, NO GAIN!

While running away from risk, we are at the same time putting something at risk: Personal Freedom. Those who belive in job security are putting their freedom at risk. You are always at the beck and call of ur oga and whenever he/she is tired of you, you are gone.

So many people die when they are sacked/retired all just because they have known no other life than being employed. I have had the opportunity to see people who have to reduce their age all just because they don't want to be retired from 'active' duty. shocked They have sold their mind to become civil/corporate slaves for the rest of their life.

When I watch TV and saw the plight of the pensioners, I ask why they have done that to themselves. Why have they not thought of doing something with their lives while still active? It is just painful that the risk they are running away from earlier has turned round to ctach up with them. Their everyday existence is now full of risk. cry

Let me share with you the word of Jim Rohn: "When you see the promise, you will pay the price"

You may not want to pay the price of being self employed because you don't really know what you are losing. I have paid the price and it has cost me a lot of things but I am the better off it. I have sit with company bosses, some even vacate their seats for me whenever I get to their office. They become my student and the staffs just keep wondering what is actually going on.

My setting out early has also given me a global leverage that my being an employee wouldn't have. Ask Seun what he has gained by being his own master, and I'm sure he has lot of things to tell you.

Another point I will like to make is that it doesn't have to cost you millions before you start whatever you want to. I just finished reading last week's[b] Success Digest Extra[/b] There is a story of a man that started his biz with just #2k and he has grown it to a multi million business. When you see money as your problem, you may not start at all coz you will not have all the money you needed.

In 1989, Pastor S.I. Makinwa started his biz at the age of 40 with just #650 and the biz is worth over #250m today. Money is not your problem, all you need is an idea and the willingness to pursue it.

I hope this helps someone. wink
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by gem87(f): 5:08pm On Aug 22, 2006
d reason y i shld neva get a job is becos i'm gettin married 2 some1 dat's rich dat cn cater 2 my every need, so y be under som1 else?

i am so getting a job gives me a sense of self fulfillment,
but my reason above is real
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by nwadinma(f): 6:17pm On Aug 24, 2006
Every one get RICH DAD POOR DAD,and you will agree completely with SEUN.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by bolaoni(m): 7:01pm On Aug 24, 2006
Or Retire Young Retire Rich.

The audio bonus is a gem anybody can lay his/her hands on.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by donmayor(m): 7:15pm On Aug 24, 2006
There are some people who jobs are meant for. When I build my company I would need job seekers to work for me. the key to succeeding as a worker is to put ur all in the job u r doin and u would one day rise to the top. One of the problems Nigerians have is that they are not willing to do more than what they are paid for. They think the reward of labour is only in the salary they pay them.
I do not support looking for jobs o. Once I graduate it's sure as tomorrow that I won't submit my CV in any company. the key to succeeding outside looking for a job lies in ur ability to use ur imagination.
As for those who are committed to looking for jobs, u can start submitting ur CV to me o, as from next year I would be an employer of labor
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by EmemJU(f): 5:35pm On Aug 25, 2006
Plus you have to resign if you want to go into politics(elective). Being your own boss you don't.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by onydchic(f): 10:22am On Aug 27, 2006
the sad thing about wot all of you are saying is this, NOT EVERYONE CAN OWN A BUSINESS. It's not realistic economically. if one man owns a big enough biz, wont he hav to employ ppl? some ppl dont have the flare for bein an entrepreneur. and dat's one of nig's issues today. look @ it. everyone owns a biz, but none is DAT great. dats y cbn put dat limit on banks, cos every1 thot dey shud own 1!
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by donmayor(m): 9:25pm On Aug 28, 2006
onydchic:

the sad thing about wot all of you are saying is this, NOT EVERYONE CAN OWN A BUSINESS. It's not realistic economically. if one man owns a big enough biz, wont he hav to employ people? some people don't have the flare for bein an entrepreneur. and that's one of Nigeria's issues today. look @ it. everyone owns a biz, but none is DAT great. that is y cbn put that limit on banks, because everyone thot dey should own 1!
Thats true o. Yet life is made up of risks. Many of those successful in business are those who were willing to take the risks of leaving the enslaving comfort of paid employment and utilizing their imaginations to create mega businesses. Nigeria is large enough for there to always be unemployed people so the question of who would work if every1 gets a business does not need to arise. The Nigerian mentality dictates that a man and his family should own his business, dats y many are not great. If people of different minds and abilities come together to form a business and are steadfast in their aim, they don't have to be of the same family, failure would be far from them. But we lack trust and integrity in this country and would always look for a way to cheat the other. This still does not justify working for someone all the useful part of ur life.
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by kg(f): 7:06pm On Aug 29, 2006
I agree 100% with Steve Pavlina, no objection JOB is equivalent to bondage, I'm dying to get out of it completely
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by Seun(m): 7:10pm On Aug 29, 2006
Desire is not enough. You need determination, right focus, lots of knowledge and luck. Good luck!
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by onydchic(f): 10:02am On Sep 04, 2006
frankly, selfemployed or not, its abt havin d passion for the work ur doin. in nig i've realised dat mst ppl esp men are just pushed by GREED and EGO. 'i'll get MORE if go solo' or 'I hate answerin to someone'. come on. if u must start up i say do it cos u hav somethin fresh & nu to offer. get experience& contacts. dey matter. y jump straight out of skul in2 ur own biz? wot do you think u know?
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by Seun(m): 11:49am On Sep 04, 2006
You don't need to know much to create your own job. You just need to know what your customers want. Do you really think your boss knows more than you professionally? All he knows is how to bring money in!!
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by diyobdw(f): 7:54am On Sep 05, 2006
That makes plenti sense! seun
Know your customer and thier want then learn the tips & tricks or running a biz (which has alot to do with self discipline)
Not degree is required to own a succesfull biz[if mama elewe (leaf seller) can build her own house? why not?]
grin grin grin
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by bolaoni(m): 12:52pm On Sep 05, 2006
@diyo,

Nice one! I have checked out your website and love it so much!

Will shoot you an email soon!

kiss
Re: Why You Should Never Get A Job by diyobdw(f): 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2006
@bolaoni
TX!! wink cheesy
will expect it!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Selling Moin-moin As A Blue Collar Job / Which Areas Are The Best For Young Graduates To Do Masters In Nigeria? / Request For Transcripts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.