Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? (57458 Views)

Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ / The Islamic Response To Trials And Hardships / How Do I Stop My Addiction To Istimna (self Service)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 10, 2015
As salam alaikum warahmotullah wabarakatu.

Firstly, what is "Istimna" (masturbation)?
Masturbation is the forceful act of stroking ones' private part in order to enjoy the pleasure coming from it.

SCHOOL OF THOUGHT VIEW

There are varying opinions on its permissibility. It's forbidden in the Twelve school of the Shi'a denomination of Islam and all its associated subdivisions. It is considered haram (unpermissble) according to the Matila Madh'hab. The Hanafi school has a more permissive outlook. According to Ibn Hazm and the Hanbali Madh'hab, It is halal (permissible) only under two conditions. First, the fear of commiting fornication or adultery, and second, not having the means to marry.

Sheikh Assim al-Hakeem stated that masturbation is halal but only if one is otherwise definitely going to fornicate. Varous scholarly thoughts concluding it being halal include the following.

Ibn al-Qayyim, a 14th century Sunni Islamic Scholar:
Ibn Aqil said:
"and many of our scholars have ruled that masturbation is 'makrah' (dislike), and never explicitly said that it was haram"..
Next he cites the opinion of Ibn Aqil on the conditions that make a masturbation halal.
"if a man is turned between continued desire or releasing it, and if this man does not have a wife and he fears he will suffer because of this (someone like a prisoner, or a pauper), then it is permissible for him to masturbate," and Ahmad (Ibn Hanbal) is explicit on this.

And afterwards Ibn al-Qayyim said,
"And the right for me is that it is illegal, because the prophet (saw) guided one who has a desire, and could not marry to fast."

Those of the view that it is haraam.
* Malik Ibn Anas
* Muhammad Ibn Idris ash-Shafi'i
* Abu Hanifa an-Nu'man
* Ibn Kathir
* Al-Qurbubi
* Shi'a
Some have quoted one narration from Ahmad Ibn Hanbal.

QUR'AN VIEW

The Qur'an itself is silent on the subject of masturbation, however many scholars have quoted certain ayats that claim state that masturbation is forbidden.

Allah says:
"And those who guard their private part save their wives and those (slave girls) which their right hands own- so their is no blame upon them. Then whoever seeks beyond that (which is lawful), they are the transgressors" (surah Al-Mu'minoon: verse 5&6)

Ibn Omid Stanakzai, a 14th century Sunni Islamic Scholar said that Imam Shafi'i and those who have agreed with him have concluded that masturbation is haram from the above verse. He says;
"Masturbation is excluded from these two types which Allah (swt) has made Halaal, viz, wives and slave-girls".
Under the exegis of this verse, Qadi Thanaullah Panipati writes:
" Imam Bagahawi has deduced from this Aayat that masturbation is haraam"

HADITH VIEW

Some Hadith that are quoted be in support of masturbation being Haram include;
A narration attributed to Abdullah Ibn Mas'ood reports;
"We were with the Prophet (saw) while we were young and no health whatsoever. So Allah's Messenger (saw) said "O young people! Whoever among you can marry should marry, because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty (i.e. His private parts from comitting illegal sexual intercourse etc) and whoever is not able to marry, should fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power" (Bukhari 5066).

However, prophet Muhammad (saw) recommended Fasting and did not mention Masturbation.

Ibn Kathir wrote in volume 5, 458:
A narration attributed to Hasan Ibn Arafah reports:
"Nabi (Sallallah alayhi wa sallam) said, 'seven persons are such that Allah will not look at them on the Day of Qiyaamah, nor will He purify them, nor will He include them amon the learned and Allah will enter them into Jahannam. They will enter Jahannam first except for those who repent. As for those who repent, Allah will their repentance.
1. A person who masturbated
2. A person who performs the act of sodomy.
3. A person whom the act of sodomy is performed.
4. A perpetual drunkard.
5. The person who hit parents so much that the appeal for help.
6. The person who harms his neighbour so much that they curse him.
7. The person who commits adultery with his neighbour's wife.

It is pointing out that Ibn Kathir's works are interpretative commentary and not a part of the Qur'an itself.
This is a Daeef (weak) Hadith.
Other quoted material include from Tafsir al-Mazhari Vol. 12 p. 94.
A narration attributed to Anas ibn Malik reports:
"Rasulullah (saw) said, ' The person who performs Nikah with his hands (i.e masturbates) is cursed."
Quoted from these after the Sahaba.
A narration attributed to sa'id ibn Jubayr reports;
"Rasulullah said:'Allah will inflict a punishment on a group of people because they played with their private part

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2015
Insha Allah, coming up next is how to stop mas*urbation...may Allah make it easy for us...Aameen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by dejt4u(m): 4:47pm On Jan 10, 2015
Following..Jazakallahu khaira
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Abduletudaye(m): 5:02pm On Jan 10, 2015
Nice Post, OP...following...
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 10, 2015
dejt4u:
Following..Jazakallahu khaira

wa ayakum
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Maakhir(m): 3:39am On Jan 11, 2015
In another Hadith they will be resurrected giving birth out of their fingertips
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 11, 2015
Maakhir:
In another Hadith they will be resurrected giving birth out of their fingertips

you are very right my brother.
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by madridguy(m): 10:37am On Jan 11, 2015
Jazakalhu for this wonderful write-up.
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Runique: 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2015
I'm a victim of it also and I had stopped it not so long and pls if you have any idea to help me then i want. That istimnai lead to my penile shrinkage, i really need someone's help. I will keep seeking 4giveness frm Allah

1 Like

Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by kennyosein(m): 7:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
Runique:
I'm a victim of it also and I had stopped it not so long and pls if you have any idea to help me then i want. That istimnai lead to my penile shrinkage, i really need someone's help. I will keep seeking 4giveness frm Allah

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Merciful…
Abu Hurayrah said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “All of my ummah will be forgiven except those who sin openly. It is a part of sinning openly when a man does something at
night, then the following morning when Allaah has concealed his sin, he says, ‘O So and so, I did such
and such last night,’ when all night his Lord has concealed him and the next morning he uncovers what Allaah had concealed.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5721; Muslim, 2990).

Benefits found in the hadeeth:
* In it is a clear prohibition of exposing one’s sins.
* The Muslim has hayaa’ (shame/shyness) that prevents him fromexposing his sins.
* Hayaa’ (shyness/shame) is good , the whole of it, and it does not leadexcept to goodness, and it is a branch of eemaan .
* In the absence of hayaa’ , the Muslim will expose his own sins, and the Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alayhe wa
sallam) conveyed to us something of the previous prophets’ messages, that “If you have no shame, then do
as you wish!”
* Exposing one’s sins is taking the fact that Allaah has screened them for granted and a lack of thankfulness.
* Concealing one’s sins can not be considered hypocrisy, since we have been prohibited from exposing them, so rather it is an act of obedience.
* Exposing one’s sins can happen in
more than one way. Notice that the Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam) said, “And verily it is a kind
of mujaaharah…” Meaning that there are other kinds. A man intentionally leaving evidence of his sin for others
to see fits the description of mujaaharah as mentioned in the hadeeth, as does a man writing about his sins, or confessing to a pious person, as found among the Christians and some of the Soofees who have blindly imitated them. An exception to this would be a Muslim turning himself into those in authority and seeking to have the Islaamic punishment applied to him to purify himself, or a Muslim who wants to learn if his sin corrupted his Hajj, so he asks about the effects of his sexual intercourse that he had while he was in ihraam , and the likes, while he takes all means to screen himself in his question if possible, by saying, “If someone did such and such, then what is upon him…?”
* Since all of the children of Aadam have sins, then they all have to conceal their sins.
* Some of the scholars, like Ibn al-Qayyim, affirmed the Name “as-Sitteer” (the One who screens) for Allaah the Almighty, based on a hadeeth collected by an-Nasaa’ee in
his Sunan, and authenticated by al-Albaanee.
* Being shameful about one’s sins leads one to repent honestly betweenbhimself and his Lord.
* Speaking openly about one’s sins means that one takes that affair of disobedience that he did lightly, and
thus it is not likely that he will repent from the sin.
* Being “excused” as mentioned in the hadeeth can refer to both this life and the Next. As for this life, then
concealing one’s sins excuses a person from being talked about, and an-Nawawee mentioned that from
the kinds of permissible backbiting is to mention the sins of people who expose their sins. As for the Next
Life, then since concealing one’s sins is obedience to the Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam), an act
of hayaa’ which is from eemaan , and something that leads to honest repentence, then it is something that
earns the pleasure of Allaah. Thus, the person will be excused from what would reach him if Allaah
was angry with him.

Safwan bin Muhriz: A man asked Ibn `Umar,
“What did you hear Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) saying regarding An-Najwa (secret talk between Allah and His believing worshipper on the Day of Judgment)?” He said, “The Prophets peace be upon him) said, “One of you will come close to his Lord till He will shelter him in His screen and say: Did you commit such-and-such sin? He will say, ‘Yes.’ Then Allah will say: Did you commit such and such sin? He will say, ‘Yes.’ So Allah will make him confess (all his sins) and He will say, ‘I screened them (your sins) for you in the world, and today I forgive them for you.”‘ Bukhari 6070
May Allah make us from those who encounter our Generous and Merciful Lord on the Day of Judgment with this description.

Back to your question
If desires begin to rage within you the resort to performing Wudu, and prayer; or reviewing the Tafseer of the Speech of Allaah, or the explanation of the speech of the Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam), or going out to the Masjid if possible; within the day for example. What is important is that you be free of this, along with seeking the help of Allaah, asking Him, and taking refuge with Him.

Allah knows what is best and most correct.
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Empiree: 8:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
@ brother kennyosein, you have made positive contribution and well said. Even right here on NL you see them speaking nonsense and how they mate a girl etc. Indeed, they have no shame. However, (website) you quoted this from is a little partisan.

It's true that it common practice in christianity where they confess their sins to the priests. I have not seen this practice in any factions in islam. I have never openly seen any. But if the writer would critizise some sufi practice such a thing, then, I need to remind you of many of non-sufi website like islamqa.com where some muslims asked questions concern their sin.

I have read from their several times muslims asked questions like:

"Ya' Sheik, I had intercourse with my wife couple of days after she gave birth. What is sunnah with this regard?

Sheik xyz, can you advice me of what to do?, I had intercourse with my wife from behind

Sheik xyz, after I had intercourse and wanted to perform janaba, I pee on myself in the shower, urine was on my body. What's is your opinion on this sheik?

Sheik xyz, may Allah preserve. my father refused to support my marriage to my girl friend. I am seriously in love with her and me and her have have decided to settled, what should we do?"

Now, this is not the way the questions are framed. But definitely, they are related. What you do think they are doing?. Arent they confessing?. If you did not notice this before, kindly review their website. You will see bunch of these related questions. My point?, 'confession of sins' to saints, holy men and preists is common phenomenon among christians. It's not something known in mmuslim commmunity at large. Confession of sins is due ONLY to Allah and should be done SECRETLY. However, there is other confession that is sinful and also a crime. Like you cheated someone without victim know about it. We are allowed to go to the person, confess and apologise. Definetely you raised good point. Hayah is receding.
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by kennyosein(m): 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2015
I don't post from Islamqa and I don't advise Muslims to visit rather I advise Muslim to shun that site although no one's is free from making mistakes.

You haven't heard of it? I have heard worst from the sofee followers and their master,
The believe about wahdat al-wujood,
They even tell their followers not to pray that they will intercede for them on the day of qiyamal,
The claim that they have knowledge of the unseen,
The claim that Allaah created the world for the sake of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), So many crazy things I have heard from this deviants......so pls I don't want to argue with you about sofee. The post reads some of the soofees who have blindly imitated them, your own version might be different.
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Empiree: 9:58pm On Jul 26, 2015
^See, another gross-bold claims again.... telling folks not to visit islamqa website. I visit it most time and i benefit from the site. Just dont know why you think your mindset is the only acurate one in matter of Islam?.

And those claims you put up there is like brushing a whole group with one brush. Again, I have never heard of any sheik telling their followers not to pray. However, I have heard from many of them warning against such thing. I think you have negative mind towards your fellow muslims. You may need to return to madrasa cus you appear to have lots of mixed up with people. I am not going sit here occupy myself with sectarian talks brother.
Re: What's The Islamic Rule On 'istimna' (masturbation)?? by Runique: 11:27am On Jul 27, 2015
I know and learned..
for now I seek your help, if you know how to help, help me else keep quiet pls

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Women Dancing To "One Corner". Video Goes Viral / Only Allah Can Judge Me This Ramadan / Two Pastors Accept Islam In Ogun State During Ramadan Lecture (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.