Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,777 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ (5365 Views)

Prayer For Settling Debt / Is It Obligatory To Obey A Ruler Who Doesn't Rule According To Book Of Allah? / Wealthy Home Plus: What's Islamic Rule? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Amonatullahi(m): 5:28am On May 15, 2017
*ISLAMIC RULE ON DEBT* ✍

All praises and adorations are due to Allah,the Lord of all that exist. Praise be to Him Who is well acquainted with what we do and shall show us our deeds on the day in which money and children will not avert anything from anyone except those who meet Him with sincere soul.

Naam, let me start by emphasising with the linguistic meaning of the word (DAYN)Debt. The Arabic meaning has to do with submission and humiliation.

There are two categories of dept in Islam namely:
1.Daynul Allah (debt own to Allah) This form of debt include Zakaah,Saum e.t.c.The evidence for this is in the narration reported by Imam Muslim in his sahih.On the authority of Aa'isha (RA)who said the Prophet said whoever dies and has fast to make up for,his/her wali(Relatives,inheritors,guardians) Must fast for him/her (Muslim 146)
this shows that this type of debt must be repaid back even if the person(debtor) is no more because the debt is for Allah and no one can forgive this except HIM unless if the debtor's relations don't know about it.
2.Daynul ibaad(debt own to human being) it could be inform of property or money (anything ownable). This must be fulfilled before malaku-l-maotu come to anyone and if not then the people after the deceased must fulfilled it from the deceased leftover properties that's meant to be inherit before the distribution of those properties.
Sincerely,debt in Islam is so serious that it could delay someone from entering paradise if not paid before someone's death. Our evidence for this ;
Allah's Prophet said "whoever dies free from three things :arrogance, cheating and debt will enter paradise (Tirmidhi,1572;classed as sahih by al-albaani in sahih al Tirmidhi)

Umar bin al-khattab (ra)said" beware of debt,for it starts with worry and it ends with war"(narrated by Maalik in al-Muwatt'a 21770).
Some people even go into extinct of charming their creditor so as to forget that he/she owns them something,this is of no basic in Islam. Instead its an act of committing sin upon sins and even if the creditor should forget in this life definitely you shall pay it back on the day of judgement be it with your good deeds or approximately addition of more into your bad deeds from the creditors bad deeds. Please, let try and posses the intention of paying back our debt and Allah will make it easy for us. *Now what is our way out?*
There are numerous supplication which have been recorded from the Sunnah for settling debts...

Aboo sa'eed al-khudri (ra)narrated that the messenger of Allah(pbuh)entered a Masjid and saw an ansaari man whose name was Abu Umaamah.He then said "Why are you sitting in the Masjid when it's not the time for prayer) he replied; worries and debt,O Messenger of Allah!. He(pbuh)then said, Should I teach you some words which if you say them,Allah will take your worries and pay off your debt?He replied yes;O messenger of Allah. He said say in the morning and evening

_*ALLAHUMAA INNI A'UUDHUBIKA MINNALHAMMI WAL- HUZINI WA A'OODHU BIKA MINAL-AJZI WAL-KASALI WA A'OODHU BIKA MINAL-JUBNI WAL-BUKHLI,WA A'OODHU BIKA MIN GHALABATIL-DDAYNI WA QAHRI RIJAALI*_

O Allah, I seek refuge with you from incapability and laziness and I seek refuge with you from cowardice and miserliness,I seek refuge with you from being heavily in debt and from being overcome by men

He(Abu Umaamah)said I did that and Allah took away my worries and paid off my debt(Abu dawood 1555) based on this hadeeth we are able to deduce that Abu Umaamah was willing to pay off his debt so Allah make it easy for him.

May Allah in his infinite mercy remove our worries and settle our debts. Aamiyn. May Allah make this a beneficial one for us. Assalaamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuhu

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Mofpearl: 2:54pm On May 15, 2017
Jazakallahu khyran.

I feel like debt is easily overlooked.

Regarding fast owned to Allah, there are instance where it doesn't have to be paid. If a person missed a fast as a result of an illness( which he can recover from) or travel or menses and doesn't have the oppurtunity to fast then his/her family doesnt have to fast on his/her behalf. For example, if a woman fasted Ramadan but was unable to make up the fast she missed as a result of menses, because she died, family members won't have to faston her behalf. Say for example she died on Eid or she started fasting after Eid but died before she could complete the days, then it doesn't have to be paid back.

Or a man was ill ( an illness that he can recover from) but dies before he is able to make up his fast then the family memebers don't have to fast back.

And Allah knows best.

3 Likes

Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by olasaad(f): 7:45am On May 19, 2017
No@mofpearl. I think you should do more research on it.

Thanks@Op. But what baffled me is the way people handle debts most especially the human part. They own you money/property and they don't wanna pay you and if you ask them they still won't pay which most times results into fight between the two.

But my observation about this issue is that many debtors refused to settled there debt during their life time and when they died the creditor will be force to forgive the debt due to what people will say if he/she collect the money back from the people left behind. And in other way most creditors will not talk when the question about the deceased debt is being raised during funeral.

May Almighty Allah free us from debt and help us in settle the one we are owning both to him and to our fellow human.

2 Likes

Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Nobody: 7:49am On May 19, 2017
^^ "no" on what exactly?
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Mofpearl: 8:45am On May 19, 2017
olasaad:
No@mofpearl. I think you should do more research on it.

Salam alaykum

Q: "I would like an explanation of the hadeeth, “Whoever dies owing fasts, his heir should fast on his behalf.” ...... "

A:It says in ‘Awn al-Ma’bood (7/26):

The scholars are unanimously agreed that if a person does not fast because of sickness or travelling then he does not have the opportunity to make them up until he dies, there is no sin on him and food does not have to be given to the poor on his behalf, except that Qataadah said that food should be given to the poor on his behalf, and that was also narrated from Tawoos. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (19/what is makrooh and mustahabb and the ruling on making up missed fasts):

If a person does not fast in Ramadaan because of sickness, then dies before he is able to make up the fasts, the matter is straightforward, praise be to Allaah, based on the texts, the reports and the opinions of the scholars.

With regard to the texts, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days” [al-Baqarah 2:184]. Allaah enjoins fasting an equal number of other days, but if a person dies before that then he has died before the time when it becomes obligatory. This is similar to the case of someone died before Ramadaan begins, so food does not have to be given to the poor on his behalf for the next Ramadaan, even if he died shortly before it began.

Moreover, so long as this sick person is still sick, he does not have to fast, and if he dies without recovering, then he has died before fasting became obligatory for him, so food does not have to be given to the poor on his behalf, because giving food to the poor is an alternative to fasting, and if he does not have to fast then he does not have to do the alternative.

This evidence from the Qur’aan indicates that if he is not able to fast, then nothing is required of him.

With regard to the Sunnah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever dies owing fasts, his heir should fast on his behalf.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1952) and Muslim (1147).

The meaning of the hadeeth is clear: if a person dies owing no fasts, then fasts should not be observed on his behalf. From the above it is known that if a sick person remains sick, he does not have to fast or make up the fasts so long as his sickness lasts.

https://islamqa.info/en/81030

I removed part of the question and answer I thought was unnecessary in order not to lengthen the post. The full info can be read in the link.
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by iamoyindamola(m): 8:59am On May 19, 2017
jazakallahu khayran
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Timoleon(m): 9:01am On May 19, 2017
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Oloruntobi4382(m): 9:05am On May 19, 2017
MrUgoochukwu234:
Change your winning status today!!!!
Boost your financial status today!!!!!
VIP = 294odds for #10k
please for only interested people!!!
Na because of you i comment. So you hustle enter islamic thread, chai!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by BetaThings: 9:14am On May 19, 2017
MrUgoochukwu234:
Change your winning status today!!!!
Boost your financial status today!!!!!
VIP = 294odds for #10k
please for only interested people!!!

Dear Brothers and Sisters
Betting, gaming, pools, lottery, and other games of chance are HARAM!

5 Likes

Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by malvisguy212: 9:19am On May 19, 2017
paying debt, no doubt it a good thing, but this will not take you to heaven, that is why Jesus say even the pagan can do more than this. paying debt and doing good deed is just the evidence of a true faith. salvation is something ONLY God can do and God has already done it. if you are to die today, and God ask you this question " why will I allow you into my holy heaven? " if the answer you gave to this question point to your own good work, it mean you are not standing on a solid ground, you are not trusting on the righteousness of God. but if your answer point to the saving work of God, it mean you are standing on a solid ground. the bible say " look UNTO Me and be ye save, all the end of the world for I am God and their is none like me" thank you happy Friday to you all.
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Walexz02(m): 9:22am On May 19, 2017
Jazakahallahu khair
I hate borrowing, I don't feel comfortable borrowing things from pple. Alhamdulillah

1 Like

Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by ymdo(m): 10:24am On May 19, 2017
malvisguy212:
paying debt, no doubt it a good thing, but this will not take you to heaven, that is why Jesus say even the pagan can do more than this. paying debt and doing good deed is just the evidence of a true faith. salvation is something ONLY God can do and God has already done it. if you are to die today, and God ask you this question " why will I allow you into my holy heaven? " if the answer you gave to this question point to your own good work, it mean you are not standing on a solid ground, you are not trusting on the righteousness of God. but if your answer point to the saving work of God, it mean you are standing on a solid ground. the bible say " look UNTO Me and be ye save, all the end of the world for I am God and their is none like me" thank you happy Friday to you all.
At least, you did not blaspheme today. You tried, keep it up. wink wink wink
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by gloryman91: 10:30am On May 19, 2017
Islam does not toyed with anything debt.
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Oloruntobi4382(m): 10:42am On May 19, 2017
MrUgoooooo2343:
Boost your financial status today!!!!!...see details below
This dudes must be computer bots. I damn sure.
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Nobody: 10:57am On May 19, 2017
So true

1 Share

Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by Kakayaraznits(m): 11:19am On May 19, 2017
Alhamdulillah for everything
Re: Islamic Rule On Debt* ✍ by malvisguy212: 11:33am On May 19, 2017
ymdo:
At least, you did not blaspheme today. You tried, keep it up. wink wink wink
alright.

(1) (Reply)

Envy Is A Quick Path To Ruin / What To Do Upon Hearing The Adhan (the Call For Solah)? / When Was The Prophet Of Islaam - Salallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam - Born?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.