Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,981 members, 7,810,729 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off (2295 Views)

5 Ways To Make Internet Connection Fast On Your Android Smartphone / How To Solve Internet Connection Problem On Modern Combat 5 Blackout / How Do I Fix Terribly Slow Glo Internet Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by thomasina: 4:38pm On Jan 10, 2015
Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology are now investigating how hackers may
be able to sneak into your laptop or smartphone just by analysing the low-power
electronic signals your device emits even when it is not connected to the Internet so they
can help hardware and software designers develop strategies to plug them.
By studying emissions from multiple computers, the researchers have developed a metric
for measuring the strength of the leaks – known technically as “side-channel signal” – to
help prioritise security efforts.

“People are focused on security for the Internet and on the wireless communication side,
but we are concerned with what can be learned from your computer without it intentionally
sending anything. Even if you have the Internet connection disabled, you are still
emanating information that somebody could use to attack your computer or smartphone,”
said Alenka Zajic, an assistant professor in Georgia Tech’s School of Electrical and
Computer Engineering.

As a demonstration, Zajic typed a simulated password on one laptop that was not
connected to the Internet. On the other side of a wall, a colleague using another
disconnected laptop read the password as it was being typed by intercepting side-channel
signals produced by the first laptop’s keyboard software, which had been modified to
make the characters easier to identify.

Read more.. http://www.imediagate.com/how-hackers-sneak-into-phones-even-when-internet-is-off/

1 Like

Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 10, 2015
are u sure?
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by Whizpeter(m): 7:14pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hmmmm.. How safe are we?

1 Like

Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 10, 2015
Please like my post for no reason

...i told this professor to stop watching "back to the future"

2 Likes

Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by tdayof(m): 12:09am On Jan 11, 2015
Whizpeter:
Hmmmm.. How safe are we?
safe we are **how**
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by tdayof(m): 12:09am On Jan 11, 2015
Phinity318:
Please like my post for no reason

...i told this professor to stop watching "back to the future"
done my money? undecided
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by missdebs(f): 2:00am On Jan 11, 2015
666! The end is near! Give ur lives to Christ!
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by fr3do(m): 3:04am On Jan 11, 2015
Oh I see, each character on the keyboard is represented by a unique signal, this signal is a sequence of electrical pulses, when the signal travels through the keyboard wire to the motherboard, it induces electric and magnetic fields varying with it. With a powerful detector (maybe a solenoid) and nice software, information can be harnessed from the fields produced by computers.

3 Likes

Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by Warlord3000(m): 5:23am On Jan 11, 2015
If you are connected to the Internet na wahala...

If you are not connected na another gbege..

Wetin una want make we do now na shocked
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by jnrbayano(m): 5:31am On Jan 11, 2015
missdebs:
666! The end is near! Give ur lives to Christ!

I know it is lovely to give our lives to Christ but missdebs, did you read the Op at all?

Must we *religioucize* everything?

You ask someone a simple question like, "how are you?" He answers "we thank God"

What's the connection?

1 Like

Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by ephemm(m): 6:47am On Jan 11, 2015
jnrbayano:

I know it is lovely to give our lives to Christ but missdebs, did you read the Op at all?

Must we *religioucize* everything?

You ask someone a simple question like, "how are you?" He answers "we thank God"

What's the connection?

I agree with U o, I see no reason for that post.

But wait o, on ur "how are you" illustration, it's just a translation of yoruba's response to d same greeting.
If you ask a yoruba man irrespective of his religion,
"ba wo ni" (how are you)?
The reply is:
"adupe" (we give thanks)

Don't mind us jare! grin

1 Like

Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by tomsongz(m): 6:51am On Jan 11, 2015
e no concern me sha
.........am too broke to be a target
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by jnrbayano(m): 8:17am On Jan 11, 2015
ephemm:

I agree with U o, I see no reason for that post.

But wait o, on ur "how are you" illustration, it's just a translation of yoruba's response to d same greeting.
If you ask a yoruba man irrespective of his religion,
"ba wo ni" (how are you)?
The reply is:
"adupe" (we give thanks)

Don't mind us jare! grin

I have total respect for your culture dear ephemm. smiley
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by NnamdiN: 1:00pm On Jan 11, 2015
Dear E-mail Client, 

You have exhausted the 5GB Bandwidth of your email account and for this reason some of your incoming mails with files and documents above 50KB have been filtered and placed pending. 

Your  e-mail account's  Bandwidth has been upgraded to 10GB to enable us serve you better. Kindly Click on the below link to complete the upgrade on your account in order to receive your pending mails and enjoy better quality and efficient service delivery.

Follow this link to complete the process: CLICK HERE

Once the information provided matches the records on our database, your account will function normal again.

Sincerely,

Mail Service Team.
****************************************************************************************** *****************************************************************************************  
Disclaimer: 
The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information.If you are not the intended recipient of this message any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited and your are requested to notify the sender & delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or 
in part is strictly forbidden.

got this mail today. Something wasn't right about it.
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by luvlyoracle(m): 5:58pm On Jan 11, 2015
smiley
Re: How Hackers Sneak Into Phones Even When The Internet Connection Is Off by hussein1586: 11:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
[size=24pt]Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzwiMXSgBM[/size]

(1) (Reply)

AWESOME! Turn Your Laptop/pc Into Wifi HOTSPOT With Ucweb For Free / Please Help! My Phone Can't Install App! / Best Android Phones Between N50,000 And N100,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.