Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,150 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News (33725 Views)

Breaking:- Investors Flee Nigeria - Bloomberg News!!! / Aisha Buhari: Why President-elect’s Wife May Not Be Nigeria’s Next First Lady / Akpabio, Etiebet Trade Blames Over Jonathan’s Election Loss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by smile4kenn(m): 2:21am On Jan 11, 2015
A loss by Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan in general elections next month may be viewed “positively” by foreign investors and probably won’t rattle markets, according to Jim O’Neill, former chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management.

While Jonathan, 57, has presided over the sale of the nation’s mismanaged power utilities to private investors, his economic policies in the last four years “could have been better,” O’Neill said in a Jan. 7 interview in the capital, Abuja. Firing central bank Governor Lamido Sanusi last year, who brought “a lot of credibility” to the government, sent out a negative signal, he said.

“If he doesn’t get re-elected, and it’s because of Nigerian people wanting something different and something better, I think the markets would be happy with that,” said O’Neill. “Foreign investors are pretty negative about Nigeria, so I don’t dismiss the possibility that if he lost people actually might react positively.”

O’Neill ranks Nigeria, Africa’s biggest oil producer, alongside Mexico, Indonesia and Turkey in his MINT group. The countries have four of the largest emerging-market populations outside the BRIC nations of Brazil, Russia, India and China, an acronym he coined at Goldman.

Jonathan, a southern Christian, faces former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, 72, a Muslim northerner and candidate of the opposition All Progressive Congress in the Feb. 14 vote. The ruling People’s Democratic Party, which has won every contest since army rule ended in 1999, faces its stiffest challenge against the APC, a merger of Nigeria’s biggest opposition parties. Africa’s most populous nation of more than 170 million people is split between a mainly Muslim north and predominantly Christian south.

Tough Stance

It isn’t clear what a Buhari victory would mean for investors because he hasn’t set out an economic policy, O’Neill said.

“People would be a bit worried,” said O’Neill, who is also a Bloomberg View columnist. “But it depends on what would happen with the institutional framework and policies.”

Buhari, characterized by supporters as having a tough stance against corruption, came to power in a 1983 army coup and ruled for 20 months before he was unseated by a rival military faction. Buhari lost the 2011 presidential vote to Jonathan and failed to win in 2007 and 2003 elections.

Buhari is now seeking to tap discontent with Jonathan’s inability to stem attacks by Boko Haram, an Islamist insurgent group that has killed 13,000 in the north since 2009, according to the government.

‘Structural Changes’

The status of Africa’s largest economy as a prime frontier-market investment destination has been dented by oil prices that have fallen 52 percent over the past year, rising insurgency attacks in the country’s northeast and increasing political tensions ahead of next month’s elections.

Jonathan also removed central bank Governor Sanusi in February last year after Sanusi alleged the state oil company hadn’t remitted about $20 billion in revenue to the government. The Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. denied the allegations. Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said in May auditors would take three to four months to clarify what had happened to the unaccounted oil receipts that stood at $10.8 billion.

With crude accounting for about 70 percent of government funding and 95 percent of foreign exchange, lower prices have reduced revenue and increased pressure on the naira, which the central bank devalued in November. The naira has fallen 10 percent in the past three months, the second worst performer out of 24 African currencies tracked by Bloomberg.

The lower oil price “exposes the lack of needed structural changes, that hopefully would still come,” O’Neill said. “Nigeria, like any country, shouldn’t be so dependent on the commodity cycle.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-08/o-neill-says-jonathan-vote-loss-may-be-seen-as-nigeria-positive.html

59 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by smile11s(m): 2:22am On Jan 11, 2015
True

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 2:25am On Jan 11, 2015
Dr Goodluck Jonathan till 2019!

66 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Brahms(m): 2:31am On Jan 11, 2015

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Mynd44: 4:29am On Jan 11, 2015
There are loads of investors who want to come into Nigeria but they don't really see the government. They expect the government tl be serious in things like security and power supply which is something that is needed tl trigger economic growth but we seem not to care about them.

I am still here wondering why we have no private refineries yet or why our public refineries are not working well

192 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by vanunu: 6:35am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:
There are loads of investors who want to come into Nigeria but they don't really see the government. They expect the government tl be serious in things like security and power supply which is something that is needed tl trigger economic growth but we seem not to care about them.

I am still here wondering why we have no private refineries yet or why our public refineries are not working well

I know that u are one of those who objected to subsidy removal. At times I wonder the kind of school u people went to.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Mynd44: 6:58am On Jan 11, 2015
vanunu:

I know that u are one of those who objected to subsidy removal. At times I wonder the kind of school u people went to.
Wrong.

I support removal of subsidy but inna country like Nigeria where public officers are not know for being accountable, I suggested it was continued and the reason is simple. The subsidy is the only way the people fells like the government is doing anything reasonable for them.

When the subsidy was removed(even partially), how has the money affected the people? What has changed? What has happened to the money saved?

How has the money affected the man on the street? We were told there will be palliatives and some silly buses where are they? Have you rode one before? Do you know someone who has?

If the money saved form the partial removal was used to fix just one refinery it would have been better. What has been done with the money?

Throughout the oil boom of last year what was done with the excess funds? Did we build or fix our refineries? Did we use the money to fix our power supply or make our society more secured.

The subsidy removal will have no effect on Nigerians due to corruption so why not just leave it as it was the only way it would benefit the common man. That is economics a government should look at not some economic theory that will end up a failure

321 Likes 36 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Mynd44: 7:02am On Jan 11, 2015
There are too many Harvard trained economists in Nigeria who want to bring foreign economic theories which were fashioned in places that is not Nigeria. Our economic policy must be suited for us. We have to find a way to tweak then to suit Nigerian and not say because it worked in America, it will work here. That is false. If we should borrow economic policies, lets borrow from nations that have similar problems.

Our when coming up with policies, people who actually live in Nigeria, do business in Nigeria and walk the streets with Nigerians should be part of the think tank

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Mynd44: 7:10am On Jan 11, 2015
Nigeria wants investors to looks at us seriously but our issues are just too silly. We have a presidency where a lot of people in government throw jabs at a certain religion.

Too much attention is paid to ethnic divisions

We are simply unserious about infrastructure

Power supply is a nightmare

We don't have any long term economic plan

I don't think people actually sit down and ask why we are this way.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by arsetalks(m): 7:14am On Jan 11, 2015
vanunu:

Educate me please. Why exactly should the fuel subsidy be removed.

Let's do this please.

Edited - I mean why should it be removed. Oya educate me.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Mynd44: 7:17am On Jan 11, 2015
arsetalks:
Educate me please. Why exactly should the fuel subsidy not be removed.

Let's do this please.
This is going to be a fun morning

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by egift(m): 7:28am On Jan 11, 2015
arsetalks:
Educate me please. Why exactly should the fuel subsidy not be removed.
Let's do this please.

The major problem with the Subsidy is Corruption. The inflated figure and it is a channel of looting money. In some case the Fuel were not imported, yet payments were made.

Furthermore, if our refineries are working and local consumptions are met, we will not have any need to import let alone subsidy payment.

Vote GMB to correct this mess and stop the waste of resources in funding Corruption.

123 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Ikengawo: 7:34am On Jan 11, 2015
[size=20pt]THE SAME FOREIGN INVESTORS THAT DESTROYED THE NIGER DELTA. WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE DEVIL IS BAD FOR ME. [/size]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by omenka(m): 7:37am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by arsetalks(m): 7:47am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:
There are too many Harvard trained economists in Nigeria who want to bring foreign economic theories which were fashioned in places that is not Nigeria. Our economic policy must be suited for us. We have to find a way to tweak then to suit Nigerian and not say because it worked in America, it will work here. That is false. If we should borrow economic policies, lets borrow from nations that have similar problems.

Our when coming up with policies, people who actually live in Nigeria, do business in Nigeria and walk the streets with Nigerians should be part of the think tank

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Crocz(m): 7:55am On Jan 11, 2015
In the long run we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:02am On Jan 11, 2015
remove MAY, and replace with WILL, and viola; you just made a perfect sentence based on truth.

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by arsetalks(m): 8:21am On Jan 11, 2015
egift:

The major problem with the Subsidy is Corruption. The inflated figure and it is a channel of looting money. In some case the Fuel were not imported, yet payments were made.

Furthermore, if our refineries are working and local consumptions are met, we will not have any need to import let alone subsidy payment.

Vote GMB to correct this mess and stop the waste of resources in funding Corruption.
I know mate. It was meant to be why it should be removed.

I want him to give us his reasons. I am in the mood of taking them on today.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Kolade354(m): 8:25am On Jan 11, 2015
imoleay0:
your signature is enough to support a man who abadon chibok girlz................mention one tangible achievement of the drunkard in your state.

24 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Kolade354(m): 8:29am On Jan 11, 2015
vanunu:

you are pissing me off sir. What is the result of the subsidy,He only caused hardship for some nigerians. He increased fuel price from #65 to #100,he promised us 1200 buses to cushion the effect in hike of petrol up till now i have never see one single buse for my state. Did he prosecute subsidy thieves like farouk lawal. Is yaradua wicked for reducing it before jonathan increased it. In kuwait petrol price is #30 and their economy is fine,venezuela the same price,libya not up to that. Susbsidy is just a scam.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by NlOmg: 8:31am On Jan 11, 2015

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by stevolinkon40: 8:31am On Jan 11, 2015
Yet another epistle
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 11, 2015
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 11, 2015
Have we had a enough of this clueless president?

-CramJones

15 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by egift(m): 8:32am On Jan 11, 2015

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by elantraceey(f): 8:32am On Jan 11, 2015
Jonathan is likely to lose this election.

32 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by elantraceey(f): 8:33am On Jan 11, 2015
Japhet04:

Stop booking space tongue tongue
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Isryl02(m): 8:33am On Jan 11, 2015
Ok now
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Burger01(m): 8:33am On Jan 11, 2015
imoleay0:
Enemy of progressundecided

FeBuhari 2015..

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 11, 2015
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Judicial Panel Of Inquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate, Discovers Bullet Shells / Atiku Releases Economic Agenda, Vows To Break Govt Monopoly / My Experience As A Corp Member Who Worked As Inec Ad-hoc Staff In Enugu North Lg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.