Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,076 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News (33727 Views)

Breaking:- Investors Flee Nigeria - Bloomberg News!!! / Aisha Buhari: Why President-elect’s Wife May Not Be Nigeria’s Next First Lady / Akpabio, Etiebet Trade Blames Over Jonathan’s Election Loss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Mynd44: 9:19am On Jan 11, 2015
Omotolu:
...you are right,but those Nigerian bred economsts are good in breeding wrong and harsh economic theories.hence Nigerians look to the US,UK for sound economic theories.
Note that I said they should be part of the think tank. There should be a balance when making policies such that we have home bred people who knows where the shoe will pinch among those making these polices.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by arsetalks(m): 9:20am On Jan 11, 2015
otunbakolawole:
As an economist, I favour deregulation. What we lack in Nigeria is a good refining capacity. The demand is there. Deregulate it fully and the investors will come. Subsidies are reversed taxes, subsidy has to be neutral, subsidy has to be fair. In Nigeria, it's not. The subsidy practice here in Nigeria is for the rich, not the poor. Also, subsidy create barriers, do away with it, or it will do away with us like it's currently doing.
I also do support it but not until we have refineries. What makes you think they will build refineries when they have done f*ck all with the extra 27 naira from the last fuel pump price increment?

What makes you think they will not find a way like they did with diesel and kerosene? To me, the fuel subsidy stays until government actually builds new refineries and repair the old ones.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:

Note that I said they should be part of the think tank. There should be a balance when making policies such that we have home bred people who knows where the shoe will pinch among those making these polices.
...I doubt knowing where the shoe hurt the most really count on how to formulate sound policies for the betterment of the people- a point in case is Dr. Jonathan.anyway lNigeria can try that.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by kolokolobi(m): 9:27am On Jan 11, 2015
There is the mention of the NNPC audit that was expected to be ready since October 2014 and till this moment the government has gone quiet on the report.
What is happening?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Mynd44: 9:27am On Jan 11, 2015
Omotolu:
...I doubt knowing where the shoe hurt the most really count on how to formulate sound policies for the betterment of the people- a point in case is Dr. Jonathan.anyway lNigeria can try that.
What makes you think he has any idea about economic policy in the first place? If he has no idea, no matter his experience, it wont amount to anything

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Youem: 9:28am On Jan 11, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . . . If you want to campaign for Buhari, give Jonathan the microphone !!!
permit me to write this on FB as a quote from you. cheesy
modelmike7:
. . . . . . If you want to campaign for Buhari, give Jonathan the microphone !!!
permit me to write this on FB as a quote from you.
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 11, 2015
Youem:

permit me to write this on FB as a quote from you. cheesy
permit me to write this on FB as a quote from you.
. . . . . . . Permission granted my dear brother. All we need is Change come feBUHARI 14th 2015.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by datribune: 9:34am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:
There are too many Harvard trained economists in Nigeria who want to bring foreign economic theories which were fashioned in places that is not Nigeria. Our economic policy must be suited for us. We have to find a way to tweak then to suit Nigerian and not say because it worked in America, it will work here. That is false. If we should borrow economic policies, lets borrow from nations that have similar problems.

Our when coming up with policies, people who actually live in Nigeria, do business in Nigeria and walk the streets with Nigerians should be part of the think tank

Since 1999, Nigeria has intensified d copying of d american economic model without thinking of d local Nigerian reality. It's a system dat creates serious inequality - a wall street & a main street & that's why u see dat d gap between d rich & poor has never been wider.
Since d days of d TCPC under d goggled one, Abacha to d days of BPE under OBJ & GEJ, privatization in nigeria has never been about promoting efficiency but about asset stripping, sharing of our national patrimony & concentrating d assets of our nation in d hands of a privileged few. d govt corporations, infrastructure etc built over many years & generations & dat should rightly belong to our children & grand children now belong to a cabal of govt sponsors in deals dat reek wit corruption & infamy.
Where ar d proceeds frm privatization?. Nigerians hav lost their companies forever wit d lands, buildings & properties & d proceeds frm these sales hav been looted. Unfortunately d youth who should know better fall 4 their antics "Government has no business in dis & dat" they gleefully declare. d youth should shine their eyes, d nation is being scammed.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Youem: 9:36am On Jan 11, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . . . . Permission granted my dear brother. All we need is Change come feBUHARI 14th 2015.
Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:

What makes you think he has any idea about economic policy in the first place? If he has no idea, no matter his experience, it wont amount to anything
...it's not about having or knowing economic policies like Dr. Iweala Ngozi,it's about commitment to the well-being of the people.In simple terms,govenance is about not adding to the problems and headaches of the people.many of these so called born poor leaders are the worst enemies of the masses.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 11, 2015
Tell the gej supporters, most of them will still argue inspite of the truth though.

Mynd44:

Wrong.

I support removal of subsidy but inna country like Nigeria where public officers are not know for being accountable, I suggested it was continued and the reason is simple. The subsidy is the only way the people fells like the government is doing anything reasonable for them.

When the subsidy was removed(even partially), how has the money affected the people? What has changed? What has happened to the money saved?

How has the money affected the man on the street? We were told there will be palliatives and some silly buses where are they? Have you rode one before? Do you know someone who has?

If the money saved form the partial removal was used to fix just one refinery it would have been better. What has been done with the money?

Throughout the oil boom of last year what was done with the excess funds? Did we build or fix our refineries? Did we use the money to fix our power supply or make our society more secured.

The subsidy removal will have no effect on Nigerians due to corruption so why not just leave it as it was the only way it would benefit the common man. That is economics a government should look at not some economic theory that will end up a failure
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by AAinEqGuinea: 9:39am On Jan 11, 2015
As an outsider who has followed the politics of Nija way before Seun lost over 6 months worth of data in June of '14, I hope nigerians stick with the most familiar in the coming election

any positive news and organic breakthroughs that has made it outside Nigeria has come from the People itself, which is tacitly linked to CURRENT leadership that you're familiar with

Regarding Boko Haram, even the might of my native country, the U.S., has yet to figure out how to fight an ideological war. (We're still fighting in the Middle East) To say its easy or practical is to say the very least foolishly ... and if anything could have been done,it would have been executed by now by Nija's brightest I'm sure.. We know it's impossible to remove all remnants of malignant cancer---the mightiest have tried, so has GEJ

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by berryworld: 9:41am On Jan 11, 2015
I really still wonda y some of u still clamouring for Goodluck till 2019,its so obvious dat dis man has brot badluck 2 nigeria.he has no single experience in governin a nation.he's d worst president nigeria has eva had.pls he shuld leave,everybody is tired of him.let's try something new.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Suljosh: 9:45am On Jan 11, 2015
imoleay0:
Dr Goodluck Jonathan till 2019!
silent sufferer.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Btruth: 9:45am On Jan 11, 2015
imoleay0:
Don't you have any statement that than this?....ah!..how come all of your are so clueless? Please, read well to understand or you keep that your fucking mouth shut forever. APC for a change!

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by datribune: 9:48am On Jan 11, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:
As an outsider who has followed the politics of Nija way before Seun lost over 6 months worth of data in June of '14, I hope nigerians stick with the most familiar in the coming election

any positive news and organic breakthroughs that has made it outside Nigeria has come from the People itself, which is tacitly linked to CURRENT leadership that you're familiar with

Regarding Boko Haram, even the might of my native country, the U.S., has yet to figure out how to fight an ideological war. (We're still fighting in the Middle East) To say its easy or practical is to say the very least foolishly ... and if anything could have been done,it would have been executed by now by Nija's brightest I'm sure.. We know it's impossible to remove all remnants of malignant cancer---the mightiest have tried, so has GEJ

Thanx & no thanx. We vote 4 change. However We wish u what u wish us. May Almighty God giv u a leader dat will govern ur native land d way GEJ has governed Nigeria IJN we pray. Amen

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 11, 2015
Those who make peaceful change impossible makes dis-graceful ones inevitable! #change2015 is inevitable!

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by dami212: 9:50am On Jan 11, 2015
imoleay0:
Sometimes I wonder if u guys hate development. Do u think Gej deserve to b in office for extra one day? Maybe because u ve nt lost a brother,friend,father,mother or Urself in the crisis ravaging the north. A president that took an oath to protect the lives and properties of Nigerians is out there campaigning while people are dying. I guess wen he lost his younger sister he postponed there PDP campaign. Guy use ur head

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by kolado(m): 9:53am On Jan 11, 2015
Anyway,stealing is not corruption and corruption is not stealing hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by StepG: 9:55am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:

Wrong.

I support removal of subsidy but inna country like Nigeria where public officers are not know for being accountable, I suggested it was continued and the reason is simple. The subsidy is the only way the people fells like the government is doing anything reasonable for them.

When the subsidy was removed(even goopartially), how has the money affected the people? What has changed? What has happened to the money saved?

How has the money affected the man on the street? We were told there will be palliatives and some silly buses where are they? Have you rode one before? Do you know someone who has?

If the money saved form the partial removal was used to fix just one refinery it would have been better. What has been done with the money?

Throughout the oil boom of last year what was done with the excess funds? Did we build or fix our refineries? Did we use the money to fix our power supply or make our society more secured.

The subsidy removal will have no effect on Nigerians due to corruption so why not just leave it as it was the only way it would benefit the common man. That is economics a government should look at not some economic theory that will end up a good onefailure
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by AAinEqGuinea: 9:58am On Jan 11, 2015
datribune:

Thanx & no thanx. We vote 4 change. However We wish u what u wish us. May Almighty God giv u a leader dat will govern ur native land d way GEJ has governed Nigeria.

You probably under-emphasized the part where I emphasized the people themselves creating real change and breakthroughs like it has been in an exceedly and exceptional way, abroad and native.. (2014's rebasing stats for Nija have to mean something to say the least)

But yea, hope and change--keep praying on the handout. It's the People that define a country.. and Nigerians are doing just fine as is

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by skijo4life(m): 10:00am On Jan 11, 2015
vanunu:

I know that u are one of those who objected to subsidy removal. At times I wonder the kind of school u people went to.
my friend please dont be myopic there was never any subsidy all jonathan did was to make money in two ways 1 by making u pay for fuel at a price far more expensive than it is and 2 by making the government fund some peoples 'cabal' accounts in the name of subsidy ... educate yourself dont be ignorant happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by GoldHorse(m): 10:00am On Jan 11, 2015
And there u have it! This is a foreigner! If allowed he would have used strong words to condemn the administration of GEJ but he can't, he has to be diplomatic but even saying investors won't be sad if Jonathan leaves is equally saying they, like us, are tired of the non performance and Will be happy!!!

I dey sure say Okupe and his likes will soon show us proof now that this oyinbo man is either from APC or one of boko haram sponsor grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by silenthor1: 10:01am On Jan 11, 2015
Looters are talking. Hmmm,they really need sum1 dat will release money 4 dem datz y they are lambasting GEJ. Omo eeeh,dem don miss road...GEJ till 2019

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by tunapius(m): 10:06am On Jan 11, 2015
All of u should just make sure u vote out this clueless man. I don't wanna hear "feb 14th is strictly for me and my babe o"

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by kingthreat(m): 10:12am On Jan 11, 2015
Ikengawo:
[size=20pt]THE SAME FOREIGN INVESTORS THAT DESTROYED THE NIGER DELTA. WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE DEVIL IS BAD FOR ME. [/size]

Boldening your comments doesn't mean they make sense.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by anonimi: 10:14am On Jan 11, 2015
Mynd44:
I am still here wondering why we have no private refineries yet or why our public refineries are not working well

Where were you when Jonathan wanted to LIBERALISE the downstream oil sector that would have allowed investors in refineries to ULTIMATELY bring down price though enhanced COMPETITION?

Was this not what happened with the

- Telecoms
and
- Cement

sectors

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by divaoflife: 10:16am On Jan 11, 2015
Like the O'Neil man said,Sanusi was doing a good job but was removed because of we all know why;
Too bad that it would take a foreigner to tell us what is soooooo glaring-no foreign investors,economy nose-diving,security nil,etc.
Yet some people will be arguing blindly.May we help ourselves o because it is said that the heavens help those who help themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by AAinEqGuinea: 10:16am On Jan 11, 2015
Maybe GEJ is not the fittest for Nija.... now Nija's left with fiery rhetoric and lofty promises of an unknown.. speaking with highest confidence like a learned politician...

Don't gamble with Nija, you've been winning
Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by Curiouscat: 10:18am On Jan 11, 2015
elantraceey:
Jonathan is likely to lose this election must lose this election.
Are you of voting age? If yes,who are you voting come Feb 14.
Let me it a reality smiley

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by duni04(m): 10:24am On Jan 11, 2015
anonimi:

Where were you when Jonathan wanted to LIBERALISE the downstream oil sector that would have allowed investors in refineries to ULTIMATELY bring down price though enhanced COMPETITION?

Was this not what happened with the

- Telecoms
and
- Cement

sectors
True

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Election Loss May Be Nigeria Positive - Bloomberg News by fulanigirl(f): 10:26am On Jan 11, 2015
kolokolobi:
There is the mention of the NNPC audit that was expected to be ready since October 2014 and till this moment the government has gone quiet on the report.
What is happening?

Lol my dad was one of the guys suppose to do that audit. Instead they decided to do it in house. The people that are being audited are the ones choosing the auditors!! How does that make sense? They are going to find someone that will cover their tracks on a report that will probably never happen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku Releases Economic Agenda, Vows To Break Govt Monopoly / Peter Obi Votes In Anambra / Femi Falana Reacts To CJN Onnoghen Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.