Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,854 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos (64879 Views)

Two Die In Jos Multiple Vehicle-crash (pictures) / 9 Things People Living In Lagos Can Relate To. / 5 Crazy Things You Shouldn’t Do In Lagos Buses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by gossipmama(f): 10:40am On Jan 12, 2015
Last Monday's temp in Jo's was 6deg. Coldest places are rukuba, pan shin, barkin ladi... Cold there Na die!
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by dammywapes(m): 10:45am On Jan 12, 2015
Are they crazy things ? To me is not. This are the things you do or apply to keep your self in a good condition or keep your self warm and also this is not done in jos alone. Mostly nigerian mum does this. Like you are not an african man. #I be africa man original.
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by paparazzi1987(m): 10:47am On Jan 12, 2015
alberto2k:
Drinking garri with hot water in the afternoon undecided

You are actually drinking EBA grin
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 12, 2015
Damianobi:
I wonda who will boil water jst 2 brush his/her teeth undecided
come here and u'll be one of those doin so..
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by amokeme(f): 10:48am On Jan 12, 2015
Kano is also verrrrry cold.. I think it should be 5° this morning...
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Revolva(m): 10:50am On Jan 12, 2015
Sometimes I wonder how jos go be if lagos harmattan worst like dis
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 12, 2015
My galfrnds from Jos smoke like chimney. I didn't understand why.
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by dammywapes(m): 10:53am On Jan 12, 2015
Revolva:
Sometimes I wonder how jos go be if lagos harmattan worst like dis
Bro the weather here in ibadan is not friendly also. Don't mention jos , kano and co cause their na die.

Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by iluvweed(m): 11:03am On Jan 12, 2015
Normal 80 degrees C in Miami....I love Miami!

#miamiheat
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by zimoni(f): 11:12am On Jan 12, 2015
In my own opinion,

Towns on Mambilla Plateau (The Highest Plateau in Nigeria) are the coldest.

The towns are Gembu, Dorofi, Mbamnga, Warwar, Yerrmaru, Nguroje, Mayo Ndaga, Maisamari, Ndum, Warrkaka and Hainare.

Cheers.
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by nyankpa(m): 11:16am On Jan 12, 2015
lestat:
@OP I heard there's a place so cold in Jos called panchee? Is this true? I heard it's the coldest place in Jos? Please captain needed....who knows about his should enlighten me

Yea but its called Pankshin. The temperature there last week was 8°C
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Spidermon: 11:21am On Jan 12, 2015
When them start to use acid to bathe, make una let me know.
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 12, 2015
Damianobi:
I wonda who will boil water jst 2 brush his/her teeth undecided
Oga,i do it evry mornin here in Jos o..I can't take d risk of d level of dis cold wit my teeth

Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by thimbook2(m): 11:30am On Jan 12, 2015
jOS, ah friggin Jos! Can't 4get jos in a hurry? City earned my max respect back in NYSC orientation days when some dude went and dropped moffuggin' DEAD shocked in the camp bathroom!

We couldn't say exactly when he died but he was pronounced DOA at the General hospital they took him to sha, cause of death? Hypothermia, Pneumonia or some cold shyt'e like that...Jos i hail o!
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by folabayo1(f): 11:33am On Jan 12, 2015
stardragon:

bia kam chu o gu oyi
apumaka jor
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by folabayo1(f): 11:34am On Jan 12, 2015
Elcemento:
Na was o. Wrap itself around him and the cold go subside. Abi he no dey around make I come help am?
come do wetin??
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 12, 2015
Bugsy09:

Abi oooo,nice observation
make I hear.... Just yesterday afternoon, i saw one girl like that in my area(Kufang) wearing a bumshort and a sleevless top despite the obvious goose pimples on her skin indicating she was freezing.. Funny thing is she was seeing a guy that probably came visiting off and he was dressed like an astronaut... Some girls sha.....

Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 12, 2015
drnoel:

Did u say froze to their deaths? Pls what temp was the weather in jos 4 people to freeze? Was it up to 32 degrees?
he probably didnt know how to put it.... I think he meant died of excess cold..... I heard of that story too some years back... It was over PRTV news...
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 12, 2015
pamdaniel:
. mad people here are not as mad as u think... but honestly its rear to see them left out of home care... they are shown much love most especially by family members and friends... Jos no be Aba or Onitsha...lol...
the mad men and women I see here once in a blue moon are usually heavily dressed but in rags though but all the same, cover up na cover up]

Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Larrylarex(m): 11:48am On Jan 12, 2015
thimbook2:
jOS, ah friggin Jos! Can't 4get jos in a hurry? City earned my max respect back in NYSC orientation days when some dude went and dropped moffuggin' DEAD shocked in the camp bathroom!

We couldn't say exactly when he died but he was pronounced DOA at the General hospital they took him to sha, cause of death? Hypothermia, Pneumonia or some cold shyt'e like that...Jos i hail o!
That Bros wey dey talk say Jos cold no fit kill person if you try bathing with cold water here ehn , you go just kpai. Sebi you see someone here confirming it bah?
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 12, 2015
Dez80:

lol, is this what u cud tink of? Watch ur back for police!
Guys in jos smoke weed in the open and u most times see soldiers weeding too....
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by kay2000(m): 11:51am On Jan 12, 2015
You are so right OP. I got married in Jos in Dece 2010. The weather was beautiful as it was chilling. I noticed all you said and much more.

You wash your hand with warm water when you are about to eat any foood with your hand.

Most homes serve hot tea and coffee when they have visitors.

They have fire pots in pubs and clubs.

My host even had a small electric heater that looks like a box fan.

When you rub your dry palm against a dry textile, you will notice flashes of sparks.

Door knobs and bulglary proofs have low charges.
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by kay2000(m): 11:53am On Jan 12, 2015
You are so right OP. I got married in Jos in Dece 2010. The weather was beautiful as it was chilling. I noticed all you said and much more.

You wash your hand with warm water when you are about to eat any foood with your hand.

When you rub your dry palm against a dry textile, you will notice flashes of sparks.

Someone just sent me this pix now from Jos. People buying used jacket and other warm clothings.

Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Larrylarex(m): 11:54am On Jan 12, 2015
FLYGERIAN91:
he probably didnt know how to put it.... I think he meant died of excess cold..... I heard of that story too some years back... It was over PRTV news...
Bros no mind am nah oversabi dey do am, when I said they froze to death does that mean that they became ice? if course not but if cold kill person no b say he freeze die? Just help me tell am well
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Zonacom(m): 11:56am On Jan 12, 2015
lestat:
@OP I heard there's a place so cold in Jos called panchee? Is this true? I heard it's the coldest place in Jos? Please captain needed....who knows about his should enlighten me
Its actually Pankshin. Some kilometres away from jos capital. The cold in pankshin is just too much. You hardly see people outside before 8 am in the morning. The amazing thing is that you can even see the cold in motion. Sometimes distant visibility is even hampered by fog or whatever. But this kind of cold is only experienced between December and January.
Stories have it that some youth corpers posted there lost their lives in the 80s

Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 12, 2015
just remembered my experience last year when i ws comming back from school.. Traveled from calabar to jos in an Ac vehicle. The minutes after reaching jos in the freezing AC that the driver refused to turn off despite complains from commuters in the bus, a paasenger wanted alighting at bukuru express. The moment the door was slid open, omo.... That was when we knew the AC in the bus could boil yam for family of 12...... The kind of cold breeze the blew into the vehicle na die.... The thing over shadow the bus's freezing AC.... That was december 2013 to be precise
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 12, 2015
kay2000:

Someone just sent me this pix now from Jos. People buying used jacket and other warm clothings.
bros Kay I don catch U for nairaland finally...... Hehehehehe..... The moment u said " got married in Jos in december2010, I knew it was you.... Kay+syntesis= kerosynthesis....... Hehehehgrin grin grin
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by timota(m): 12:06pm On Jan 12, 2015
Larrylarex:
The Jos Plateau is the largest plateau in Nigeria and owing to its elevation, Jos is the coldest city in Nigeria (about the temperature of California, USA) for example, the temperature here now us about 15°C and it has gone south of 10°C at a point in this winter (Yes it is better referred to as winter, this one don pass ordinary harmattan) Because of this cold weather, people usually does some things that would be considered wild by Lagos standards. I present to you below, a few of
them.

1. Boiling water to brush teeth or do dishes:

Some people actually boil the water they wanted to use for brushing Their teeth or do their dishes because ordinary water will be freezing cold and coupled with the freezing breeze is a no no

2. Ladies wearing socks on ANYTHING they wore:

It is not uncommon seeing 'Big girls' wearing socks on office suits and skirts, even after dressing for an owanbe party, socks and gloves were freely worn on the Ankara and lace attires. In short, their is no dressing that's weird here, anything goes
PS: Weird dressing doesn't exclude men too o! I saw a man yesterday that wore a sweater over his shirt before putting on the suit jacket

3. Purposely Staying under the sun:

You'll see people intentionally staying under the sun as soon as it comes out just to feel the warmth of the greatest source of energy.

4. Bathing with boiled water:

I dare say that there is nobody I mean NOBODY in this Jos that has the effrontery to bath with ordinary water as history has it that some people actually froze to their death when they tried it in times past.

5. Putting on electric stove in the bedroom:

because of the unusual cold, some people will put on the electric stove at night just so they can be warm throughout the night.

6. Sleeping with more than two pieces of clothing on:

Its a common thing if people slept dressing like an astronaut, I mean with two trousers, two shirts, one Cardigan, head warmer and hear muffs, Hand gloves and socks all under a cover cloth/duvet! Lil!

If you're staying on the Jos or Taraba plateau please add yours

Iamlarex
obudu in cross river state is cooler than jos especially obudu cattle range
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 12, 2015
Larrylarex:
Bros no mind am nah oversabi dey do am, when I said they froze to death does that mean that they became ice? if course not but if cold kill person no b say he freeze die? Just help me tell am well
no mind am....
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by jauntty: 12:19pm On Jan 12, 2015
I stay and schooled in Plateau state and honestly I have done all wat the Op have said. The cold especially in Oct - Dec is soooo much that all the Fans and AC in the house are just for decorations cus I can't remember the last time I used them. My room heater was always ON, I wore more cloths that a typical Eskimo to see, somtx wake up to drink hot tea @ night...mehn thank God for Lagos weather now. (man nor fit go come kill imself for cold ooo ). Shout Outs : #J_town, #GICOSA #UJ_peeps
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by Uffakowoicho(m): 12:23pm On Jan 12, 2015
OP "people do" and not "people does".
jos' cold is crazy,dis year's experience is like in 1998 many new borns couldn't survive it.Moscow in Nigeria!
Re: Crazy Things People Do During Harmattan Season In Jos by drnoel: 12:28pm On Jan 12, 2015
Larrylarex:
Well, this is not the worst case of cold I Jos, what I'm saying happened about 8 years ago. If you have people in Jos you re free to confirm. Heard that lots of soldiers posted to Pankshin that year froze to death after bathing with cold water. And you're saying people don't freeze to death when temperature goes south of zero have you forgotten how many people froze to their death in Canada about 4 years ago when they experienced such? They are indigenes and did not bath with cold water o! Now , tell me that someone that bath with cold water at 6° won't freeze to death. When the atmospheric temperature is 7° do you believe that water will be less than that? It happened bro ask anyone in jos

But that's the point. U just made my point 4 me. The people in Canada that froze to death did so cos temperature fell to under -15 °C, now that I can understand. But in jos where the coldest temp is normally above 10 °C, I find it hard to stomach but then again it's ur opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Night Life In Port Harcourt Looks Like (Pics, Video) / Diamond Rolls-Royce Stole The Show During Eid al-Fitr Celebrations In Manchester / 5 Yrs After Relocating To The U.K, Nigerian Doctor Shows Off His ‘blessing(pics)