Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network (3953 Views)

Can A Non-IT Student Become A Programmer Or Webmaster? / Am I Doing/thinking Right? Seeking A Non Programming Advice / Why You Should Never Sign An N.d.a (non Disclosure Agreement) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by EzehM(m): 6:42pm On Oct 02, 2005
SETTING UP A DEVELOPERS NETWORK

Just an idea, that I think should be run past Seun, the administrator of the forum. Can we set up a developers network?

The objective of this network will be to develop applications for voluntary and charity organisations in Nigeria. The scope will also cover schools, hospitals etc. It should be a non-profit network, and can be seen as our own way of giving back to our society.

If its OK with the administrator, developers should please show their interest by putting down their names and skills.

Thanks
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by Seun(m): 8:30pm On Oct 02, 2005
Most developers in Nigeria probably do not see themselves as being in a position to give back anything to the society at all! Our society has not given most developers so much to the extent that they'll want to give something back.

Having said that, the Nairaland community is an international community. If there are developers outside the country, or within the country, who consider themselves to be in position give away their time and expertise for the benefit of non-profit organizations in Nigeria, I think we would be happy to host them on Nairaland, and interact with them!
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by EzehM(m): 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2005
Thanks .... Perfectly understood.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by smartsoft(m): 2:17pm On Oct 03, 2005
Eze ! Count me in.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by Farriel(m): 3:34pm On Oct 03, 2005
Would be truly innovative and iconic, but I don't think there are chances most developers, particularly in Nigeria would find this worthwhile, like Seun pointed out.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by smartsoft(m): 7:23pm On Oct 03, 2005
You think so Farrel ??
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by skima(m): 10:08pm On Oct 03, 2005
Well i think there is a better way to do it. I know my people like money (including me), What i was planning was to create a framework where we can jointfully create webwarez of high standard and sell it at a very affordable rate within our selve. as in; sell to your client at a particular price, tagged by the group.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by Scorpio(f): 1:41am On Oct 04, 2005
I'm up for it!
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by EzehM(m): 7:40am On Oct 04, 2005
Open to all ideas....
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by smartsoft(m): 1:26pm On Oct 04, 2005
What r we still waiting 4 ?? let's kick the ball rolling.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by kazey(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2005
Can I be a spectator? If yes count me in smiley
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by smartsoft(m): 3:45pm On Oct 05, 2005
Kazey wait make him start first
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by EzehM(m): 11:37am On Oct 06, 2005
I think the best way to start will be to list our individual skills. Once we have enough interested parties, we can then move to the next level.

Me:
Skills - Software development (C++, Java, PHP)
Others: Software Architecture, Project Management and a bit more
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by skima(m): 12:13am On Oct 07, 2005
Let me know wat guys u suggest :: non-pofit or as i suggest?

skima:

Well i think there is a better way to do it. I know my people like money (including me), What i was planning was to create a framework where we can jointfully create webwarez of high standard and sell it at a very affordable rate within our selve. as in; sell to your client at a particular price, tagged by the group.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by skima(m): 12:15am On Oct 07, 2005
Skill : web development (php,asp other basic web design)
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by Seun(m): 12:19am On Oct 07, 2005
My question is this: what does a software developer have to gain from this arrangement?
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by skima(m): 12:35am On Oct 07, 2005
I think webware would have been the best way to say it.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by EzehM(m): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2005
Not sure what you mean by ‘gain’

However this is my take. Financially, nothing. My original idea was simply something voluntary. People offering free time and services to a worthy project – just like you have done with this marvelous forum. I based the idea on a number of similar models that exist here in the UK. In terms of other veiled gains, I think it could offer those that decide to come on board – experience, exposure – something to add onto a CV, a broader knowledge of how software development works (i.e. methodologies) and a bit more.

I entirely understand and respect the ideas that tend to lean towards something profitable. It isn’t the model I have in my head, but it is one that I will ardently like to observe and contribute to (The voluntary thing isn’t really flying). I simply don’t have any ideas right now on how it will work…

Anyone got any ideas?
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by EzehM(m): 9:30pm On Oct 22, 2005
None, I presume. I will still work at this idea with other like minded folks. When I think of a business enterprise that could earn us millions of dollars in record time, I will let you guys know. For now, let’s feign this topic never made it to the forum.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by Mariory(m): 11:22am On Oct 28, 2005
Hey guys. Is this idea still being pursued? I think it's a great one and could go places.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by Allta(m): 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2005
Seun should initiate something more concrete, maybe arrange a conference where we can all meet to delibrate on strategies and framework to get this thing started.
As for me, I'm based in London; but wouldn't mind to participate, after all, it's high time we give back to the country what she's given us

Cheers! guys
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by abacus(m): 10:54am On Nov 22, 2005
Hey.. count me in. I like the ideal
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by timmy(m): 3:40pm On Nov 22, 2005
really all i dont fink it would work. the best that can happen is for someone to have an opensource forum where guys could help out with free support. somefin like what sourceforge has... any other idea would not work, cos really in nigeria some people delay alot and dat process may slow down development stages and most of us depend on cafe connections, nepa, strike etc meeting deadlines would be a real set back.. a simple opensource developers forum would just do
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by modpluz(m): 1:55am On Jan 01, 2006
you are right about that timmy you know  rolleyes

wetin we for do when NEPA abi na PHCN them dey call am strike, its really not encouraging. but nonetheless, i'm 100% with you Eze. hit me when you ready.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by dosumthin(f): 8:20pm On Jan 04, 2006
Hey everyone,

I am hosting a youth charity show/conference in July in Lagos. I read all the messages and it is true that no one gives back to the community. For those of u on HI5, I set up a group called Concerned Youths of Nigeria and in Diaspora. I am basically trying to collect everyone's thoughts and issues or concerns about Nigeria and relay this to the media and public to enable parents, govenmnet officals and everyone to hear the voives of the youths.Iif u wanna ge in touch with me or contribute or participate in my summer show please email me. dosumthinng@hotmail.com.

Thanx alot
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by nwaigboannoying: 5:39am On Mar 14, 2006
After reading some of the post on this site, I think i'm gonna do something and that is start a project, This project will be a CMS (content management syste) project, I know some people will ask but why another cms when we have alot of them out there, well here are my reasons

--I want to work with another Nigerians
--I want to see a cms that is targeted towards Nigerian users
--It will not hurt anything to do it
--To help all these Nigerian sites out there that look like Sh*t out there compete better
--Because it will be so much fun to do this.

if you are ready there's a website I registered for this project, it's at www.otunazero.com , There's nothing there yet but if you are a php programmer, or if you can do documentation, and other things please look at my profile and get hold of me on yahoo or email me at my name izundubisi@yahoo.com, This is an open source project and half of the work is done. Thanks
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by oasis: 11:45pm On Mar 22, 2006
I've never understood group dynamics. Everytime I try to engage in some kind of group effort, I always end up being the only one to complete the project, or worse still, I see the plan go down the tube. In a group, you'll always find somebody who's not focused, or too busy to come through with his end of the deal.

Also what happens when there's a disagreement? You know how people are - when you don't approve of their ideas, they turn vindictive on you. These are real issues to consider before wasting valuable time on some group endeavor.

For several people to work on the same project successfully, you must first and foremost learn cvs. Without it, you'd be wiping out each other's changes to the code.

Nobody plans to fail. We just fail to plan. So, plan or you'd fail.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by vanso(m): 8:47pm On Apr 02, 2006
I think what is really needed is a dedicated website/forum run by developers for developers geared towards Nigerians. For this I can provide the hardware and network bandwidth provided there is enough interest and seriousness from those who will run it.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by oasis: 9:13pm On Apr 02, 2006
provided there is enough interest and seriousness from those who will run it.

This is the heart of the matter.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by kenshin(m): 10:31pm On Apr 02, 2006
So how do we detect if people will be serious and committed to this?
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by kodewrita(m): 2:00pm On Dec 10, 2010
kenshin:

So how do we detect if people will be serious and committed to this?

you start something and see if anyone signs up.
Re: Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network by JosyTal: 3:02pm On Feb 12, 2011
If this project ever takes off, then I'll be interested to contribute. You may contact me using the contact form on my website.

Thanks.

Joseph Ogunbiyi,
author and publisher,
http://www.josytal.com - Affordable Software for Small and Medium businesses.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Learn Programming In Delta State / Managed Extensions for C++. / Programming (java) Vs CCNA; Which Should I Do Before My Nov NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.