Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,913 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan (11303 Views)

Osinbajo Looking At President Buhari: Caption This Photo / 'Why Always Remi Tinubu?' - Dino Melaye Takes Another Swipe At Tinubu's Wife / House Names Fayose 'opposition Leader' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 14, 2015
NaijaOptimist:

International cluelessness
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Horus(m): 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2015
[size=19pt]Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan Criticized For Boko Haram Response[/size]

Nigeria's president was among leaders who condemned last week's attack by Islamic extremists on the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, yet his response to the slaughter of civilians by militants in his own country has been muted.

Some commentators criticized President Goodluck Jonathan's reticence about the violence in Nigeria's Baga town, and the lack of a broader international outcry on par with the reaction to the attacks in France. The slogan "I am Baga" — a play on "I am Charlie," the expression of solidarity with the targeted French weekly — is now circulating on social media.

The global sympathy and the defiant rally in Paris that drew foreign leaders after the assaults that killed 17 people overshadowed the killing of hundreds and perhaps as many as 2,000 people in Baga, a northeastern town near Chad.

Jonathan, who has been touting his domestic record ahead of a re-election bid next month, was quick to express solidarity with France.

"The President believes that the cowardly and ignoble attack by violent extremists is a monstrous assault on the right to freedom of expression," said a statement by his office the day after the attacks in France.

It did not release a similarly forceful statement about Baga. The attack there started on Jan. 3 and was another bloody marker in a murky, grinding conflict in which information is often scarce, the insurgency is seen by many as a local problem and violence is routine.

The United Nations, the United States and other countries have condemned the violence by Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, and international aid groups are mobilizing to help survivors.

On Monday, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf expressed some exasperation with the comparatively little interest in Nigeria's killings after taking a barrage of questions from media about the weekend rally in Paris.

"I would like to see how many minutes we spend on Boko Haram compared to a march," Harf told the State Department press corps. "I just want to point that out to people."

The difference between the reactions to the bloodshed in Paris and in Baga also is related to the broader context, experts say.

The Paris shootings, whose victims included prominent cartoonists, had an enormous impact beyond France's borders because they were seen as an assault on "fundamental liberty" and an "existential attack on all of Europe," said Michael Jennings, a senior lecturer in international development at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London.

The violence in Nigeria, however, does not capture similar attention because it "is often presented as part of the ongoing history of violence between communities," Jennings said.

Muna Ndulo, a law professor and African development expert at Cornell University in the United States, noted that whereas in Paris the media presence was heavy and many events played out before the cameras, "in Nigeria, you still have to contend with actually trying to ascertain what exactly went on. To some extent, that does affect the way people look at things."

Survivors of the Baga killings described the horrors they witnessed but independent reporting from the scene is virtually impossible for now because the town remains under Boko Haram control. Accounts of the numbers of casualties vary widely. The Nigerian military said 150 people were confirmed dead, but other estimates put the toll at several hundred and as high as 2,000.

Additionally, Ndulo said, the attackers in Paris were French citizens of foreign descent who said they were inspired by al-Qaida and the Islamic State, raising sensitive questions of "inclusivity" and immigration and security policy that many countries can relate to because they face similar tensions within their own populations. In contrast, many fighters in the home-grown Boko Haram movement are Nigerians who may feel alienated by poverty and poor governance, he said.

Jennings warned about the perils of viewing Boko Haram, which recently seized a military base in neighboring Cameroon, as a local problem.

"All too often, conflicts have been assumed to be localized, just left alone until they reach a pitch where they show their international significance," he said. "The danger is that we don't see the links, we don't see people moving back and forth."

___

Associated Press writer Bradley Klapper in Washington contributed to this report.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/13/goodluck-jonathan-boko-ha_n_6464928.html
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by successhunter: 9:25pm On Jan 14, 2015
barcanista:
Why is every foreigner disrespecting Goodluck Jonathan? Has his cluelessness gone international?

He lost all respect for his nonchalant attitude towards the chibok girls.

3 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by tmotmo: 9:25pm On Jan 14, 2015
barcanista:
The President's enemies are within his kichen cabinet
How do you expect a man that do not possess the capability to "clean up" his kitchen cabinet of few tens, to know how to handle a population of over 160million people. GEJ had expired!!!!!
There is need for real Change!!!

2 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 14, 2015
successhunter:

He lost all respect for his nonchalant attitude towards the chibok girls.
He said he will use technology to fight boko haram when elected

2 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 14, 2015
tmotmo:

How do you expect a man that do not possess the capability to "clean up" his kitchen cabinet of few tens, to know how to handle a population of over 160million people. GEJ had expired!!!!!
There is need for real Change!!!
Trust me even the President can't wait to experience change. He won't vote for himself

3 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Horus(m): 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BP9iZvCjUQ

[size=15pt]Julius Malema urges Boko Haram to release girls[/size]

Economic Freedom Fighters leader, Julius Malema, has urged Boko Haram to release over 200 girls kidnapped in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by sunkoye: 10:20pm On Jan 14, 2015
Change2015:

Unfortunately the damage he has done to our international reputation is beyond measure. Imagine Hollywood crying out about Baga massacre, when the president has not bothered to mention it, but within 24hrs he had sent condolences to France? smdh

#change
#GMB
#APC
I actually didn't expect anything less. Bt seriously?
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by azzima(m): 10:37pm On Jan 14, 2015
Tranquill:
Julius Malema is a youth and not opposition leader. No reasonable person in South Africa take him serious. He is a bunch of nuisant but I wont be suprised if some Nigerians start cekebrating him. After all no br FOREIGNER e be??
why are some Nigerians so stubborn and stupid??did you understand the wisdom of what he said?? Even a Baby will understand his point. I don't care who Malema is but I am more concerned about what he said. Cant U Guys Use Your Brains And Forget Sentiments For Just A Second?

4 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
barcanista:
Why is every foreigner disrespecting Goodluck Jonathan? Has his cluelessness gone international?

they do so because your foolishness and those of other misguided Nigerians have gone international.

2 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Tranquill: 10:47pm On Jan 14, 2015
azzima:
why are some Nigerians so stubborn and stupid??did you understand the wisdom of what he said?? Even a Baby will understand his point. I don't care who Malema is but I am more concerned about what he said. Cant U Guys Use Your Brains And Forget Sentiments For Just A Second?

Hey make sure you dont quote me again whenever you want to advertise your imbecility. Go get a proper upbringing before quoting me OK?
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by koikoi2(m): 11:17pm On Jan 14, 2015
Opposition leader my foot.
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by azzima(m): 11:29pm On Jan 14, 2015
FRONT PAGE !!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Kennywills7(m): 12:19am On Jan 15, 2015
Anyone dat insults d president is always consider a hero
Oh Nigeria
See wot hatred & ethnicity has done to thee
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by LajaLaba: 1:17am On Jan 15, 2015
Tranquill:

Hey make sure you dont quote me again whenever you want to advertise your imbecility. Go get a proper upbringing before quoting me OK?
If he quote u again wetin u fit do?empty barrel!

4 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Hogsmead: 3:27am On Jan 15, 2015
johnie:

Yes it is shameful but the ANC government has not been able to maintain the power system.

President Zuma's government is blaming the problem on Apartheid after twenty years of ANC rule.

What would be the reply of an average Nigerian to any government at any level blaming the military for any problem?

I maintain my stance, let Malema face their problem and leave Nigeria alone.

He is a known attention seeker who enjoys taking cheap shots!
I hope you know that there are many power plants currently under construction in SA.And also,that they are about to built 8 nuclear power plants worth $10bn.You are comparing apples and lemons my friend.

1 Like

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Hogsmead: 3:35am On Jan 15, 2015
LadyX:
It's indeed a bad joke that he sent condolescences to France whose 17 citizens died, but nothing about hundreds of nigerians killed by boko haram. Hypocrisy!

Talk of PR with the west

Your people are quick to throw insults,was Malema wrong to say what he said?Isn't about time we Africans stood in solidarity and fought together and stop relying on our id10tic leaders?Why is it always eaiser for us to show solidarity with Europeans but not among ourseves?

Ask yourselves why you take offence that South Africans are discussing the seriousness of the situation in your country.

We are out here busy flexing about things we don't have and fighting over superiority while our continent burns.

WAKE UP!

1 Like

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Adminisher: 4:41am On Jan 15, 2015
barcanista:

If Nigeria returns Goodluck Jonathan, we may start experiencing visa restrictions. The question would be asked by most country embassies, what manner of people would vote for and return to office the president who lost the Chibok girls and 2000 people dead at Baga? VISA APPLICATION REJECTED.

2 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by emeka2847: 4:42am On Jan 15, 2015
This Jona is just a disgrace to this country. Let's stop all this ethnic jingoism and face the reality.

2 Likes

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Asiwaju9ja(m): 5:14am On Jan 15, 2015
anonimi:

Because some DAFT Nigerians think it is ONLY by painting OUR president clueless to foreigners and their own fellow citizens that they can have the power to grant oil block licences anyhow.
QED!!!

Kai Buhari!!!
#Liberate-Lagos

My Brother, GEJ own is audible to the deaf and visible to d blind.

See cartoon in Kenyan Newspapers

Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Asiwaju9ja(m): 5:27am On Jan 15, 2015
anonimi:

Yes he was wrong.
Very wrong.

Our president is bringing IMPROVEMENT in various and diverse sectors of our socio-economic life while REDUCING corruption through SYSTEMATIC redress of leakages and loopholes in processes that REPUTABLE international bodies that used to score us low have now noticed and duly acknowledged.
Transparency International moved us up EIGHT places between 2013 and 2014 only. Even the US-based non-profit research and advisory organisation, Global Financial Integrity (GFI) noted that outflow of corruption money from our country in 2012 was less than HALF of the average in 10 years (2002-2012).

Do you or Malema have better comprehensive information, data & statistics than these organisations that have been monitoring our trends for so many years

Kai Buhari!!!
#Liberate-Lagos

Okay na, May your life be as the transformed Nigeria. Oya say Amen.
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by anonimi: 5:52am On Jan 15, 2015
Asiwaju9ja:

Okay na, May your life be as the transformed Nigeria. Oya say Amen.

Amen to my life being transformed PROGRESSively in a more TRANSPARENT manner in federal Nigeria with Jonathan unlike the opaque Tinubu mafia that has ruined Lagos state for the past 16 years.

How many states controlled by the Association of Pretending Crooks, APC have adopted FoI law

Kai Buhari!!!
#Liberate-Lagos
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:38am On Jan 15, 2015
anonimi:

Amen to my life being transformed PROGRESSively in a more TRANSPARENT manner in federal Nigeria with Jonathan unlike the opaque Tinubu mafia that has ruined Lagos state for the past 16 years.

How many states controlled by the Association of Pretending Crooks, APC have adopted FoI law

Kai Buhari!!!
#Liberate-Lagos

Not to a wishful transformation. If you say agree that Nigeria has been transformed by GEJ. May your life be as transformed as the Nigeria. No create a prayer for urself and say amen to it. Say amen to this one and fullstop. Na so una dey take decieve people.
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by johnie: 6:41am On Jan 15, 2015
Horus:
[size=19pt]Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan Criticized For Boko Haram Response[/size]

"The President believes that the cowardly and ignoble attack by violent extremists is a monstrous assault on the right to freedom of expression," said a statement by his office the day after the attacks in France.

It did not release a similarly forceful statement about Baga. The attack there started on Jan. 3 and was another bloody marker in a murky, grinding conflict in which information is often scarce, the insurgency is seen by many as a local problem and violence is routine.

The United Nations, the United States and other countries have condemned the violence by Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, and international aid groups are mobilizing to help survivors.

[b]On Monday, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf expressed some exasperation with the comparatively little interest in Nigeria's killings after taking a barrage of questions from media about the weekend rally in Paris.

"I would like to see how many minutes we spend on Boko Haram compared to a march," Harf told the State Department press corps. "I just want to point that out to people."

The difference between the reactions to the bloodshed in Paris and in Baga also is related to the broader context, experts say.

The Paris shootings, whose victims included prominent cartoonists, had an enormous impact beyond France's borders because they were seen as an assault on "fundamental liberty" and an "existential attack on all of Europe," said Michael Jennings, a senior lecturer in international development at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London.

The violence in Nigeria, however, does not capture similar attention because it "is often presented as part of the ongoing history of violence between communities," Jennings said.
[/b]

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/13/goodluck-jonathan-boko-ha_n_6464928.html

Let the world #BringBokoHaramToJustice and the press #ReportNigeriaCorrectly
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by anonimi: 6:43am On Jan 15, 2015
Asiwaju9ja:
Not to a wisheful transformation. If you say agree that Nigeria has been transformed by GEJ. May your life be as transformed as the Nigeria. No create a prayer for urself and say amen to it. Say ament to this one and fullstop.

I already said amen to THE prayer.

If you want your life to be ruined the way Tinubu & Fashola have ruined Lagos state in 16 years say amen.

#Liberate-Lagos
Kai Buhari!!!
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:47am On Jan 15, 2015
anonimi:

I already said amen to THE prayer.

If you want your life to be ruined the way Tinubu & Fashola have ruined Lagos state in 16 years say amen.

#Liberate-Lagos
Kai Buhari!!!

You twisted the prayers. However, I do not want to ruin my life. I want to Change it. That's why am voting Buhari. I campaigned and voted for Jonathan in 2011 and he embarrassed me. He is still embarassing his supporters. Tinubu and Fashola Changed Lagos for a fact, whether they are enriching themselves from it, remains for the EFCC and other anti-graft bodies to prove. They are not untouchables.
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by johnie: 8:01am On Jan 15, 2015
Asiwaju9ja:

You twisted the prayers. However, I do not want to ruin my life. I want to Change it. That's why am voting Buhari. I campaigned and voted for Jonathan in 2011 and he embarrassed me. He is still embarassing his supporters. Tinubu and FasholaLagos for a fact, whether they are enriching themselves from it, remains for the EFCC and other anti-graft bodies to prove. They are not untouchables.

So your expectation is that when Buhari becomes president, EFCC will go after them, ba?
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by Asiwaju9ja(m): 8:22am On Jan 15, 2015
johnie:

So your expectation is that when Buhari becomes president, EFCC will go after them, ba?

Whats stopping This present Government and Oppositions from Trying Tinubu? I thought the Anti-Graft Bodies are independent. You do not Need a President to order at will that someone should be investigated or tried. It is called witch-hunting I believe.
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by TonySpike: 12:05pm On Jan 15, 2015
I see this thread has been derailed as usual with most Nairaland topics.
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by TonySpike: 6:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
grin
Re: South African Opposition Leader, Malema, Takes a Swipe at President Jonathan by LadyX(f): 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2015
I think you misunderstood my post. I stand with Malema, not Mr President who was 'moved' by the death of 17 french citizens but not hundreds of nigerians.

To answer your questions:
No, Malema was not wrong. He voiced the feelings of many people.
I didn't take offence that South Africans are discussing the seriousness of this issue. We're talking about people's lives.

I'm not nigerian and I've not been to Nigeria. I'm just a concerned African sister. What I say is just a personal opinion, which does not represent what nigerians think. It's based on international media.

It breaks my heart each time I watch CNN or listen to BBC and hear about killings in northern Nigeria. Or Abduction of girls and women. I can't imagine being 'married' to a terrorist. Think about what they go through.

It's strange that Cameroon is able to deal with boko haram.
I think lack of goodwill from the people in power is the main problem. Nigeria was able to deal with ebola because the government gave it the attention it required.

May God help the people of northern Nigeria.

Vive l'Afrique
Hogsmead:

Your people are quick to throw insults,was Malema wrong to say what he said?Isn't about time we Africans stood in solidarity and fought together and stop relying on our id10tic leaders?Why is it always eaiser for us to show solidarity with Europeans but not among ourseves?

Ask yourselves why you take offence that South Africans are discussing the seriousness of the situation in your country.

We are out here busy flexing about things we don't have and fighting over superiority while our continent burns.

WAKE UP!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

No Power Can Bring Me Down – Wike / Appeal Court Grants Lagos Request To Join Rivers’ Suit On VAT / Ghana President Nana Akure-Ado congratulates President-Elect Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.