Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? (1321 Views)

List Of Ministers Who Plan To Travel Abroad After May 29 And Their "Excuses" / GEJ, Sambo, Okonjo-iweala And Other Ministers To Travel Abroad After May 29 / There Can Never Be Peace In Nigeria Until. . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by gamerod: 12:30am On Dec 20, 2008
There is this thinking amongst Nigerians living abroad, that Nigeria is so bad that they could have been nothing if they havent travelled abroad.

Is this a true saying? Is it true that only children of the rich and well connected make it in Nigeria?

Based on the above, is it then advisable - in this year 2008 - 2009 for people to still sell their belongings for the sake of travelling abroad? Is it true that you can only make it abroad?
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by Muza(m): 12:43am On Dec 20, 2008
how can u be so naive?
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by gamerod: 12:58am On Dec 20, 2008
Some people's brain have been tucked inside their butt holes.

Mr Muza - assuming you know the meaning of the word naive, and assuming that you are in your right senses, and also assuming that you have not been denied food all day, and also assuming that your understanding of the english language is not to be faulted, then, I ask you, what is naive in asking a question? or posing a topic for discussion, pray, in your wise sense, tell me, instead of making a meaningless contribution which makes no sense at all, pray!
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 20, 2008
Aragagba ndi ara whether you like am or you know like am ooo, Aragagba ndi ara whether you like am or you know like am ooo, nwanne, you go fear fear cuz i am stepping it hotter this, i great umu nwany na ahu mmaya, umu nwoke chagoro anya, legodinum anya, this morning, i get friend wey come from ghana, m ju ya ebe osi, osim. hapu ya aka na ya bu a naijaira, nke bu isi m gbaka, ozu kita agwo mmadu ka mkpa ta ka.
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by Hesperus(m): 1:07am On Dec 20, 2008
bigmodo:

For real, if you are a nigerian and you are unable to travel abroad you are a big time fool. I am struggling to travel abroad so i won't be a fool like those already in nigeria that haven't travelled abroad before.
No offence sir, but this is the real FOOLISH mentality! Kini big deal about travelling abroad? Yes, it is desirable, but not compulsory, neither is it a do or die affair. Abeg o!
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by asha80(m): 12:21pm On Dec 20, 2008
Aragagba ndi ara whether you like am or you know like am ooo, Aragagba ndi ara whether you like am or you know like am ooo, nwanne, you go fear fear because i am stepping it hotter this, i great umu nwany na ahu mmaya, umu nwoke chagoro anya, legodinum anya, this morning, i get friend wey come from ghana, m ju ya ebe osi, osim. hapu ya aka na ya bu a naijaira, nke bu isi m gbaka, ozu kita agwo mmadu ka mkpa ta ka.
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by asha80(m): 12:22pm On Dec 20, 2008
Aragagba ndi ara whether you like am or you know like am ooo, Aragagba ndi ara whether you like am or you know like am ooo, nwanne, you go fear fear because i am stepping it hotter this, i great umu nwany na ahu mmaya, umu nwoke chagoro anya, legodinum anya, this morning, i get friend wey come from ghana,  m ju ya ebe osi, osim. hapu ya aka na ya bu a naijaira, nke bu isi m gbaka, ozu kita agwo mmadu ka mkpa ta ka.

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by blacksta(m): 2:30pm On Dec 20, 2008
It is a possibility, if their are no infrastruture to support your talent . Please tell me what has nigeria produced in the last 30 years. That itself speak volumes.
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by BOSS7: 6:18pm On Dec 21, 2008
game_rod:

Some people's brain have been tucked inside their butt holes.

Mr Muza - assuming you know the meaning of the word naive, and assuming that you are in your right senses, and also assuming that you have not been denied food all day, and also assuming that your understanding of the english language is not to be faulted, then, I ask you, what is naive in asking a question? or posing a topic for discussion, pray, in your wise sense, tell me, instead of making a meaningless contribution which makes no sense at all, pray!

Chineke God!!!

This abuse to much now!!!
grin grin grin
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by ow11(m): 6:20pm On Dec 21, 2008
@OP

It is very true!!

Now sell all your possessions and buy a one way ticket to Afghanistan ( that place is abroad too)
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by luka1981(m): 6:36pm On Dec 21, 2008
@ poster, why have you insisted in thinking without reasoning, the answer to your question is YES. 5% of nigerians can make it at home while 95% of them will eventually become too poor. can,t you see by your self. the only free job in nigeria is yahoo yahoo job or armed robbery. that is the only job you can get without your family connection
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by texazzpete(m): 6:44pm On Dec 21, 2008
game_rod:

There is this thinking amongst Nigerians living abroad, that Nigeria is so bad that they could have been nothing if they havent travelled abroad.

Is this a true saying? Is it true that only children of the rich and well connected make it in Nigeria?

Based on the above, is it then advisable - in this year 2008 - 2009 for people to still sell their belongings for the sake of travelling abroad? Is it true that you can only make it abroad?
i'm yet to see anyone in Nairaland make this statement.
There are thousands of Nigerian professionals who travelled overseas to work without 'selling their entire belongings'.

Funny enough, you're too silly to remember that most of our eminent educators and professors received comprehensive foreign education.
To an extent, to be respectable in many critical fields you need people who have travelled overseas for further education. If we need to make progress in this country in Space and aero technology, nuclear physics and computer technology you NEED people who struggled to go overseas for studies.

The same people halfwit Nigerians sneer at.

Some people are in the UK, US and the rest of Europe reading advanced petroleum Engineering, Nuclea physics and advanced telecomms. These same people can not get the same quality of education in Nigeria and may have to work their butt off in Macdonalds and clean up in restaurants just to complete their school fees. So the next time you feel the need for another idiotic rant, curb your tongue.
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by chidichris(m): 7:21pm On Dec 21, 2008
poster,
it is very important that every nigeria travel even if it is benin republic. by the way, they travelling is part of education.
the most unfortunate thing about a made in nigeria and ultilized in nigeria human beings is that they have suffered to the extent that they are used to suffering.
most of our rulers are made in nigeria and as such nothing good can come out of them.
i therefore pray all of u under this thread not to make this an arguement rather let it be a call for all nigerians to make it a point of duty to travel out for experience.
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by tpia: 7:23pm On Dec 21, 2008
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by lucabrasi(m): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2008
@poster
i agree with you that some nigerians in this day and age still believe in selling all just to travel abroad,the only reason i can adduce for this is poor education about the realities obtained in the western world,
while it used to be the norm in the old nigeria that you couldnt make an headway unless you knew people or were influential, the gsm era,and generally a more vibrant economy has made things a lot easier these days, anyone thinking of selling all their properties to travel abroad instead of using the money to start something in nigeria should bear in mind that

the end of the global recession is not yet in sight and people are loosing jobs everyday

9/11 including a general anti migrant feeling,terrorism e.t.c has brough about a change in various governments/govt policies, the united kingdom is tightening its borders,and making it extra difficult for anyone to work without the necessary papers and more difficult to get these papers as well,same as most european countries,presently now in the uk, anyone using a nigerian passport either with or without a stay long or short cannot get an automatic schengen visa but have to go for an interview as if they r not resident e.t.c

so why would anyone leave the vibrant nigerian economy for a presently unstable one such as the western world's economy as it is presently?
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by OBVIOUS(m): 7:41pm On Dec 21, 2008
game_rod:

You're right that some people have this mentality. But there is also some piece of mind that comes with living abroad and as someone else stated, But then again the notion of abroad is relative, Do you mean Afghanistan, London, USA, China, India, Pakistan Regardless of where abroad is, at least there is stable water, light, and other amenities.

Regarding this, I think that many Nigerian people's kids (RICH AND POOR) ALL GO ABROAD to STUDY/GET A GOOD EDUCATION. Hence, making ALL equal.

Studying abroad too is not just a right to the rich and well-connected anymore. This might also influence the reason why poor and middle class people would want thier children to go abroad.

In Nigeria, it is the educated and well connected that make it. You don't even have to be the child of the rich. There are POOR people's children who got some GOOD education abroad, connected with some white, and chinese people and are doing more than well in Nigeria.

I think Nigeria is changing. In fact, there are many people CHOOSING to move back to Nigeria. Well, people may choose to sell thier belonging for the sake of travelling abroad and my question is WHERE IS ABROAD? Afghanistan ? China? India? Pakistan ? or RACIST SPAIN ?

But you do make some good points but ITS NOT APPLICABLE TO ALL NIGERIANS.
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by OBVIOUS(m): 7:43pm On Dec 21, 2008
tpia:

@ topic: true for some/many, not for all.

Many of these "travelled" ones still reason as if they never left the village at all.

Sooo TRUE!!!
Re: Is It True That You Cannot Become Anything In Nigeria Until You Travel Abroad? by davidylan1: 7:48pm On Dec 21, 2008
OBVIOUS:

Sooo TRUE!!! 

So so so so so true. Travelling to some of them had made their life worse.

(1) (Reply)

Speaker Of The House + 4 Body Guards ,bullet Proof Car & Outriders / Yar’adua’s Group Considers A Coup To Stop Jonathan / Abubakar Rimi Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.