Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,216 members, 7,815,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round (4514 Views)

Smart All Year Round Farming / 5k-10k Everyday Sales From 4 Plots All Year Round. Partner Needed. / Fresh From Farm Cow Milk Available For Sale. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 17, 2015
Please, where in Nigeria can a processing facility get cow Milk at cheapest price and consistently for 12months, thank you.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by SeverusSnape(m): 9:14am On Jan 17, 2015
In the North, Zamfara, Katsina or Sokoto.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 17, 2015
SeverusSnape:
In the North, Zamfara, Katsina or Sokoto.

Thank you. Do you by any chance have an idea about the prices over there
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 9:23am On Jan 17, 2015
The south is not into dairy, so look up north. For u to get a consistent supply u must work with co-operatives to avoid disappointment in supply. l would love to run a fresh milk dispensing machine in Lagos but where will l get supply of fresh milk?
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:
The south is not into dairy, so look up north. For u to get a consistent supply u must work with co-operatives to avoid disappointment in supply. l would love to run a fresh milk dispensing machine in Lagos but where will l get supply of fresh milk?

Yeah exactly. I kind of know it's available up north but not specifically, I would have loved anywhere in the south, cos I would need other products to be consistently transported to the North from Lagos if the processing facility is to be situated there.

Thank you for your advice
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by SeverusSnape(m): 9:34am On Jan 17, 2015
Promhize:

Thank you. Do you by any chance have an idea about the prices over there
Nope, But I schooled in the North and I know they have abundant cattle there, And the by-products like milk, meat,hide etc are very very cheap. But I can make enquiries for you.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 17, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Nope, But I schooled in the North and I know they have abundant cattle there, And the by-products like milk, meat,hide etc are very very cheap. But I can make enquiries for you.

Please any form of help will be duly appreciated sir. Please help me make the enquiry
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by SeverusSnape(m): 10:38am On Jan 17, 2015
Promhize:

Please any form of help will be duly appreciated sir. Please help me make the enquiry
Okay Boss, You'll get a feedback later in the day.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 17, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Okay Boss, You'll get a feedback later in the day.

Thank you
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 11:42am On Jan 17, 2015
Promhize:
Please, where in Nigeria can a processing facility get cow Milk at cheapest price and consistently for 12months, thank you.
Oyo State is the dominant areas for fulani n the southwest. Friesland Campina recently sited their milk factory in Oyo town and Iseyin. They are planning a third location close to Saki area.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 11:47am On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:
The South western part especially Oyo State have plenty fulani cattle rearers. You can source fresh milk there in abundance
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 12:21pm On Jan 17, 2015
jethro2:

The South western part especially Oyo State have plenty fulani cattle rearers. You can source fresh milk there in abundance

l will like to be at the retail end where pasteurized milk is supplied to my milk tank in trucks while l dispense it to the final consumer.

Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 1:21pm On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:

l will like to be at the retail end where pasteurized milk is supplied to my milk tank in trucks while l dispense it to the final consumer.
Dont know of the company for pasteurized milk yet. The fulanis supplied fresh to Friesland Campina which process into peak milk liquid satchet
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 1:27pm On Jan 17, 2015
jethro2:

Dont know of the company for pasteurized milk yet. The fulanis supplied fresh to Friesland Campina which process into peak milk liquid satchet
Thanks. I think the market is huge for fresh milk in Nigeria.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 1:32pm On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:
Thanks. I think the market is huge for fresh milk in Nigeria.
Its my pleasure. Its an untapped market
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2015
jethro2:

Its my pleasure. Its an untapped market
Here in kenya powdered milk or tinned evaporated milk is a no-no. lt is fresh milk as they take tea 24hrs a day, so a kenyan consumes more milk than a Nigerian!
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 2:41pm On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:
Here in kenya powdered milk or tinned evaporated milk is a no-no. lt is fresh milk as they take tea 24hrs a day, so a kenyan consumes more milk than a Nigerian!
It will be good if people will look in that direction of investment. I see a lot of oppourtunities in that angle. Nigeria is still lagging in that aspect. I also read that most household in Kenya subsdized their income with dairy milk production of 2 to 3 cows.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 3:03pm On Jan 17, 2015
@jethro2, Kenyans don't joke with cows! They even export fresh milk in trucks on a daily basis to other East African countries. Heard recently that one of Kenya's biggest milk processor is eyeing the Nigerian market, afterall we buy tea from them.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 9:19pm On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:
@jethro2, Kenyans don't joke with cows! They even export fresh milk in trucks on a daily basis to other East African countries. Heard recently that one of Kenya's biggest milk processor is eyeing the Nigerian market, afterall we buy tea from them.
I wish some youth can take the initiative. Friesland Campina buys milk from the fulanis at N80 per litre. They are almost begging the fulanis to sell to them. They are normadic in nature and cant stay in a place for longer period. Meanwhile their cows produces between 1-2 litre per day while there are cows that produces between 20-30 litre in Kenya.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 9:25pm On Jan 17, 2015
1-2litre is way too low!
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 9:32pm On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:
1-2litre is way too low!
Extremely low but thats what we have here. Gen Abubakars Farm, Maizube in Minna however have some of the good cows. He uses the cow milk for yoghurt. There is massive oppourtunity in that line
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 10:36pm On Jan 17, 2015
jethro2:

Extremely low but thats what we have here. Gen Abubakars Farm, Maizube in Minna however have some of the good cows. He uses the cow milk for yoghurt. There is massive oppourtunity in that line

l recall visiting a diary farm about an hour drive from Nairobi, each of he cows there produces 33 litres of milk daily as they are crossbreed of the friesian heifer with semen from a fleckvieh bull. l buy fresh milk (pasteurized) from the dispensing machine at N130 per litre.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by jethro2: 10:54pm On Jan 17, 2015
Pavore9:

l recall visiting a diary farm about an hour drive from Nairobi, each of he cows there produces 33 litres of milk daily as they are crossbreed of the friesian heifer with semen from a fleckvieh bull. l buy fresh milk (pasteurized) from the dispensing machine at N130 per litre.

Imagine!!!!!. And we are here battling with 1-2 litre per cow. One can import cows to crossbreed with our local ones. Learnt the local ones are resistance to a lot of environmental factors which the foreign breed are not.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Pavore9: 1:49am On Jan 18, 2015
jethro2:

Imagine!!!!!. And we are here battling with 1-2 litre per cow. One can import cows to crossbreed with our local ones. Learnt the local ones are resistance to a lot of environmental factors which the foreign breed are not.

l think l have seen the Friesian breed being shown in some Nigerian farms way back 2012.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by felixzo1(m): 5:02am On Jan 18, 2015
dairy business in nigeria is not easy at all, there is no enabling enviroment.starting a ranch no matter small is capital intensive and is long term.security issues , feeding and breeds are the major issues. milk is highly perisable therefore has to be stored in cooling tanks or processed immidiately, power still pose a problem in nigeria.transporting fresh milk over a distance of 100 km is not even adviceable as a,small holder,the transport cost wil eat all your profit.the fulani move from place to place because its cheaper that way, but less rewarding and very stressful

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by AreaFada2: 6:46am On Jan 18, 2015
felixzo1:
dairy business in nigeria is not easy at all, there is no enabling enviroment.starting a ranch no matter small is capital intensive and is long term.security issues , feeding and breeds are the major issues. milk is highly perisable therefore has to be stored in cooling tanks or processed immidiately, power still pose a problem in nigeria.transporting fresh milk over a distance of 100 km is not even adviceable as a,small holder,the transport cost wil eat all your profit.the fulani move from place to place because its cheaper that way, but less rewarding and very stressful

Maybe that's the first thing to do. Set up co-operatives to raise fund to start a ranch with say 50 Friesian cows and grow. Long & medium term is where the profit would be. There's hardly ever gonna be a time when milk products (fresh, yoghurt, powder, cream, cheese, etc) will not be in demand. Obviously location will matter. Ogun for example will be close to the huge Lagos market. Sure, it will be more difficult compared to poultery, piggery or running a plantain farm. But potential is big.

Power issues can be tackled using a bioreactor. Cows produce lots of dung for the reactor.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by FarmTech(m): 4:04pm On Jan 18, 2015
jethro2:

I visited the farm during my nysc days, though I wasnt opportuned to see the cows. It is a big farm with a big pond where they say contains crocodiles. I also buy the maizube yogurt regularly.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by FarmTech(m): 4:06pm On Jan 18, 2015
AreaFada2:

Maybe that's the first thing to do. Set up co-operatives to raise fund to start a ranch with say 50 Friesian cows and grow. Long & medium term is where the profit would be. There's hardly ever gonna be a time when milk products (fresh, yoghurt, powder, cream, cheese, etc) will not be in demand. Obviously location will matter. Ogun for example will be close to the huge Lagos market. Sure, it will be more difficult compared to poultery, piggery or running a plantain farm. But potential is big.

Power issues can be tackled using a bioreactor. Cows produce lots of dung for the reactor.
You're on track man, bioreactor/biogas digester sounds sweet.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 02, 2015
Pavore9:
1-2litre is way too low!
Lol!! In Githunguri,Central Kenya there are 30 litre cows!!!
1-2 litre....Are those cows being reared in the middle of the Sahara
On the other hand,The Sotik KCC factory refuses to take in farmer's milk in the Wet season due to it being excess.
While in 2010,some farmers were pouring milk due to a severe glut that hit the country.
In Kenya,the highlands have pure preeds as the climate is similar to Europe.Cool and wet.There are Fresian,Gurnseys Jerseys and Ashyires all over the place.
In the rest of the country,cross breeds dominate.In Coastal Kenya,which has a similar climate to Nigeria(but free of TseTse flies) the Jersey Crossbreed is the main breed.It produces less milk than the pure breeds(10 litres as opposed to the 30litres of the purebreeds in the highlands) but it has a high butterfat content(5%+) and is used to make full cream milk as well as Double Cream.It is the easiest to make products like butter from.
In Maasailand a breed known as Sahiwal is common.It produces around 7 litres daily but can live in Semi-desert like conditions,tick tolerant and does not mind high temperatures.There is even a Sahiwal Fresian breed that produces more than 10 litres.
I think Nigerians should visit nations like S.A and Kenya where dairy farming has been a successful venture.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by LajaLaba: 9:43pm On Feb 02, 2015
@Gerald nice one!Noted
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by GOM2016: 9:11pm On Apr 15, 2016
GERALD710:
Lol!! In Githunguri,Central Kenya there are 30 litre cows!!!
1-2 litre....Are those cows being reared in the middle of the Sahara
On the other hand,The Sotik KCC factory refuses to take in farmer's milk in the Wet season due to it being excess.
While in 2010,some farmers were pouring milk due to a severe glut that hit the country.
In Kenya,the highlands have pure preeds as the climate is similar to Europe.Cool and wet.There are Fresian,Gurnseys Jerseys and Ashyires all over the place.
In the rest of the country,cross breeds dominate.In Coastal Kenya,which has a similar climate to Nigeria(but free of TseTse flies) the Jersey Crossbreed is the main breed.It produces less milk than the pure breeds(10 litres as opposed to the 30litres of the purebreeds in the highlands) but it has a high butterfat content(5%+) and is used to make full cream milk as well as Double Cream.It is the easiest to make products like butter from.
In Maasailand a breed known as Sahiwal is common.It produces around 7 litres daily but can live in Semi-desert like conditions,tick tolerant and does not mind high temperatures.There is even a Sahiwal Fresian breed that produces more than 10 litres. Gerald can you help with cross breed?
I think Nigerians should visit nations like S.A and Kenya where dairy farming has been a successful venture.
Re: Where Is Best To Situate A Company That Needs Cow Milk, All Year Round by Imafidonist442(m): 5:38am On Apr 16, 2016
My bro, go to gombe state. They have aboundant cow milk there. I knew of this when i was living thier.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wao!!! So We Have Albino Animals? (pictures) / How To Make Money From Plantain Flour Production Business. / Poultry Feather Removing Machine For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.