Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,004 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant (21880 Views)

Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 6 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / Nigerian Nursing Assistant Breaks Leg Of 98-year-old Patient, Leading To Death / Help Seun - Kidney Patient Stuck In India (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by tdayof(m): 1:12pm On Jan 28, 2015
@parasitic what are the early signs of kidney disease or problem?
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Goahead(m): 1:13pm On Jan 28, 2015
So touching
I rejoice with you bro
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by 9jatatafo(m): 1:14pm On Jan 28, 2015
collins123:
OP, I have a history of flank pains, and very recently (since a week ago) I have been having a recurrent headache and my urine production is noticeably low even after I consume enough water.

I am really worried.

Not all flank pains are kidney related, some other infection can cause flank pains. I am diabetic and there was a time my blood sugar went up and I had flank pains. I was worried, so, I had to visit my doctor, I complained to him, w did urinalysis and mcs behold it was something else. And I was adviced to bring the sugar level down, infact I was admitted for 4 days and my sugar level is normal. So I will suggest that you go and see your doctor. It is well and don't be afraid. It is not your portion but please take action, regards.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Xynthialuvy(f): 1:16pm On Jan 28, 2015
specialguest:
so happy for you OP. Glad you know God gave you a second chance.
Not many people are as lucky as you are. I lost my mother Nov 13th 2014 to chronic kidney failure after battling with the disease from 2009.
All i can say is you are among the lucky ones. I wish you more strength and God''s grace.

Sorry sis

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by drpips1(m): 1:19pm On Jan 28, 2015
tdayof:
@parasitic what are the signs of early kidney disease or problem?

puffiness of the face or moon face, swollen feet and hands due to fluid retention, frequent and clear urination or infrequent and dark urination, high creatinine level, anaemia, pains at the lower abdomen of both side or one side, nausea, feverish feelings/malaise and headache.

but the major indicator is the high creatinine level in the plasma as most renal failure may be temporarily caused by streptococcal toxins that is injurious to the glomerulus tubes or by urinary tract infections caused by e-coli, proteus and the rest.while other causes maybe due to the genetics, nephrotoxic chemicals(or drugs), or cause unknown

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Dmail(m): 1:19pm On Jan 28, 2015
Parasitic:
I wrote this as a piece of advice. Kidney failure is rampant this days, its a no respecter of humans, coz it affects both toddler, teens, adults, man, woman, rich or poor. Mostly its are a result of uncontrolled hypertension n diabetes. Its important for everyone to go for medical checkup occssionally. Most times its undetectable until the person is down by then its too late. Its a very costly illness to manage. Infact without cash its a death sentence. So my brothers and sisters let us moderate what unhealthy foods we consume. I was having a sober reflection after series of cases I see today. I am living today is by Gods grace. Thank God for medical advances too.
How I wish Jonathan is reading this.
Long Live You Brother
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by 9jatatafo(m): 1:25pm On Jan 28, 2015
OP I am rejoicing with you like a brother. Please stay away from alcohol and ciga. Take your medication without skipping. Always thank your lovely mother, your family, friends and the doctors that brought you back to life. I am diabetic and there was a time I had issue with high sugar level, had injury that did not heal for months until I went to meet an old doctor friend you admitted me in his hospital and brought the sugar level down, told me the right medication, food to eat and with lot of exercise. I am following the instructions religiously, today I am very okay and my sugar level is very normal. I have a glucose metre to monitor my sugar level every now and then. We should always try to go for medical check up for our health status. I feel bad anything I hear how young people die from some ailment, if you are equipped with right information, you could be alive. If I see anyone with diabetes or BP, I always tell them to be wise and always see the doctors. Life is precious and please fellow NLanders, never hide any sickness. Come out and say what is wrong and I believe we have people here with useful advice.
OP I wish you long life and the good things of life. God be with us all. Amen

9 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by nora544: 1:28pm On Jan 28, 2015
9jatatafo:
OP I am rejoicing with you like a brother. Please stay away from alcohol and ciga. Take your medication without skipping. Always thank your lovely mother, your family, friends and the doctors that brought you back to life. I am diabetic and there was a time I had issue with high sugar level, had injury that did not heal for months until I went to meet an old doctor friend you admitted me in his hospital and brought the sugar level down, told me the right medication, food to eat and with lot of exercise. I am following the instructions religiously, today I am very okay and my sugar level is very normal. I have a glucose metre to monitor my sugar level every now and then. We should always try to go for medical check up for our health status. I feel bad anything I hear how young people die from some ailment, if you are equipped with right information, you could be alive. If I see anyone with diabetes or BP, I always tell them to be wise and always see the doctors. Life is precious and please fellow NLanders, never hide any sickness. Come out and say what is wrong and I believe we have people here with useful advice.
OP I wish you long life and the good things of life. God be with us all. Amen

100000000 likes and you speak the truth when you feel not good visit the doctor and don't visit the pastor to see help.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by kellyJames5(m): 1:36pm On Jan 28, 2015
The love of a mother..........

Thank God for your life
Lost my dad on 12th of this month because of that.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by 9jatatafo(m): 1:38pm On Jan 28, 2015
nora544:

100000000 likes and you speak the truth when you feel not good visit the doctor and don't visit the pastor to see help.

Thanks nora544, I agree with you about how some people visit their pastors or alfas or baba lawo when they are sick. Not that I don't believe in God miraculous works but the doctors are there to save our lives. I give you a billion likes because in Nigeria today, it billion we always hear of in the news. Hahahahaha

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by anthoniaz(f): 1:41pm On Jan 28, 2015
May God be praised! He will continue to perfect all that concerns you.

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jan 28, 2015
xxxx closed
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by vega84(m): 1:55pm On Jan 28, 2015
All I can say is glory to almighty God who has showen mercy on u! May his name be praised!
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 28, 2015
CHESTER48:
You are a typical liar.you can lie to non medical or medical doctors who might not have time to read this.But i am reading it,and i have time now to tell you how bad you are in lien.You suffered off and was in stroke.which stroke did the doctor tell you you were in?because it is only one stroke which can be treated at the hospital so.was it "ISCHEMIC stroke" OR " Hemorrhagic STROKE"Which one and be clear.another thing,High blood pressure is not anemia.But Since both high blood pressure and anemia directly relate to kidney function they often come in pairs.example..High blood pressure damages healthy kidneys. Healthy kidneys produce the hormone that regulates red blood cell production. So, if kidneys damaged by high blood pressure aren't producing the red blood cell hormone, anemia is the result.Work on your English it bad..just know you have a medical tycoon or whatever i don't want to brag okay.nut know it my work though.check ma profile and location never lies..

You come across as very very uneducated.

14 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by AKPOSbaba: 2:11pm On Jan 28, 2015
Make God save us all.
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Gemc3(f): 2:38pm On Jan 28, 2015
Parasitic:
I woke up from my hostel bed February 2006 and was greeted with a swollen face and legs as well as fever, tiredness, lack of appetite and severe headache.

I went home and visited a doctor who conducted urinalysis protein 4+, serum creatinine 5, urea 60, doppler scan which showed that the both kidneys were getting weak. Doctor diagnosed chronic kidney failure. Met a nephrologist who told me I had high blood pressure 200/90, anaemia. So he initiated treatment with drugs but I was so ignorant of this killer ailment that I neglected my drugs and didn't bother watching what I consumed like, alcohol, cigarettes...

By September 2008, I was getting too weak, slim, pale, breathlessness, no urination. I travelled home and miraculously I didnt collapse on my journey because I was a dead man walking.

Finally, when I got home, I sat on a couch and collapsed. Well the next time I regained consciousness, I was told I had being in a 3-week coma. In fact I woke up hooked to a dialysis machine.

Doctor said I had stroke. I had up to a total 20 pints of blood transfusion, erythropoeitin injection three times weekly, iron sucrose, high bp drugs and the rest.

I was on dialysis for 6months, 3 times a week. Then it dawned on me that God given me a second chance to live. I started obeying all medical advice. Since I had stroke, I lost all my psychomotor skills. In short I had to restart life as a baby, I learnt how to move my body, eat, stand, walk, sit, talk, clench a fist. Then, within one month I was recovering with aid of physiotherapy.

January 2009, with the help of family, friends, well wishers. I was transfered to India, I had a kidney transplant April 2009, with mum as a donor. After the transplant I started feeling great. Haemoglobin was now normal, I started having normal urination, blood pressure now 120/70, infact if you had seen me before you wouldn't have recognised me again. I started living a normal life strictly according to medical advice which is to take immunosupresive drug for life.

Six years on I am still healthy, hale and hearty. I can't remember the last time I had malaria fever. Nigerian patients who did same surgery with me that same week, one died two years later, while the other had kidney rejection 3years later due to inconsistency in taking immunosuppresive drugs.

I give God thanks.

I thank God for your life.
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 28, 2015
I thank God on ur behalf sis
I pray that God will continuebto grant u and everyone here Good Health.

Health is Wealth ooo.

God Bless you
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 28, 2015
CHESTER48:
You are a typical liar.you can lie to non medical or medical doctors who might not have time to read this.But i am reading it,and i have time now to tell you how bad you are in lien.You suffered off and was in stroke.which stroke did the doctor tell you you were in?because it is only one stroke which can be treated at the hospital so.was it "ISCHEMIC stroke" OR " Hemorrhagic STROKE"Which one and be clear.another thing,High blood pressure is not anemia.But Since both high blood pressure and anemia directly relate to kidney function they often come in pairs.example..High blood pressure damages healthy kidneys. Healthy kidneys produce the hormone that regulates red blood cell production. So, if kidneys damaged by high blood pressure aren't producing the red blood cell hormone, anemia is the result.[b]Work on your English it bad..[/b]just know you have a medical tycoon or whatever i don't want to brag okay.nut know it my work though.check ma profile and location never lies..

This guy is a joke!
Ever heard "those who live in glass house...."
Your write up reeks of poor command of english and you can still point accusing fingers.
Native Medical Doctor my foot!

@ OP, God shall perfect your healing and bless your Mum! Amen .

6 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Tinkybabe(f): 2:51pm On Jan 28, 2015
Thank God for your life Op.

In addition to all that's been said, people should try to keep alcohol to the barest minimum or avoid taking it altogether, also have a healthy diet and keep fit.
If you have a history of diabetes, hypertension and Kidney disease in your family, you're at a greater risk of having it so ensure you visit your doctor regularly for check- ups. Don't take any symptom with levity, visit your health practitioner with immediate alacrity.

Then, knowing Nigerians and their penchant for self medicating coupled with the way antibiotics and NSAIDS are churned out. Please and please, always check with your doctor /pharmacist before popping some pills particularly if you've had a history of kidney disease. Some medicines can worsen it.

In conclusion, for all those suffering from chronic kidney disease. Follow your drug regimen religiously and go for constant check up.

Health is wealth!
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by LaRoyalHighness(f): 2:56pm On Jan 28, 2015
@thought... Same here.... Chai
MillionDollars:
i even thought it was djdola; ehya u're healed IJN
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 28, 2015
CHESTER48:
You are a typical liar.you can lie to non medical or medical doctors who might not have time to read this.But i am reading it,and i have time now to tell you how bad you are in lien.You suffered off and was in stroke.which stroke did the doctor tell you you were in?because it is only one stroke which can be treated at the hospital so.was it "ISCHEMIC stroke" OR " Hemorrhagic STROKE"Which one and be clear.another thing,High blood pressure is not anemia.But Since both high blood pressure and anemia directly relate to kidney function they often come in pairs.example..High blood pressure damages healthy kidneys. Healthy kidneys produce the hormone that regulates red blood cell production. So, if kidneys damaged by high blood pressure aren't producing the red blood cell hormone, anemia is the result.Work on your English it bad..just know you have a medical tycoon or whatever i don't want to brag okay.nut know it my work though.check ma profile and location never lies..

Who release this one from Yaba left?

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Gemc3(f): 3:01pm On Jan 28, 2015
CHESTER48:
You are a typical liar.you can lie to non medical or medical doctors who might not have time to read this.But i am reading it,and i have time now to tell you how bad you are in lien.You suffered off and was in stroke.which stroke did the doctor tell you you were in?because it is only one stroke which can be treated at the hospital so.was it "ISCHEMIC stroke" OR " Hemorrhagic STROKE"Which one and be clear.another thing,High blood pressure is not anemia.But Since both high blood pressure and anemia directly relate to kidney function they often come in pairs.example..High blood pressure damages healthy kidneys. Healthy kidneys produce the hormone that regulates red blood cell production. So, if kidneys damaged by high blood pressure aren't producing the red blood cell hormone, anemia is the result.Work on your English it bad..just know[s] you have a medical tycoon or whatever i don't want to brag okay[/s].nut know it my work though.check ma profile and location never lies..

You sound extremely proud and ignorant to be a doctor. Everybody mustn't know u r a doctor na. Most of what you wrote up there sounds like gibberish. the OP wrote ''. . . I had high blood pressure 200/90, anaemia.'' Notice the comma. maybe he should have put ''and'' btw the High BP and Anaemia for you to understand better. Besides, whether it is a fake story or a real one, we have learnt another reason why people should live healthier life styles. As a ''medical tycoon'' this is what you should be teaching us and not condemning a non-medical person for sharing his experience and asking him unintelligent questions.

Please take note of the bolded.
Thank you doc.

My own 2 kobo.

6 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by LaRoyalHighness(f): 3:04pm On Jan 28, 2015
Thanks be to God @testimony
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by AriDsexy(f): 4:02pm On Jan 28, 2015
MillionDollars:
i even thought it was djdola; ehya u're healed IJN

same here...

I celebrate with u Op.
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by nwagbunaese(f): 4:05pm On Jan 28, 2015
So so touching my dear....tank God for his healing n i receive that healing for my mother too.
It has nt been easy with my family, she has been battling with kidney failure for more than a year nw.
Nigeria healthcare is nt helping us with their strike evryday. we are spending so much on dialysis weekly.

I pray that the God that did it for u will do it for my mum....AMEN.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 28, 2015
I thank God for your life.
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 28, 2015
I say THANK YOU TO GOD on your behalf......Live on and make people smile.
God bless.
Parasitic:
I woke up from my hostel bed February 2006 and was greeted with a swollen face and legs as well as fever, tiredness, lack of appetite and severe headache.

I went home and visited a doctor who conducted urinalysis protein 4+, serum creatinine 5, urea 60, doppler scan which showed that the both kidneys were getting weak. Doctor diagnosed chronic kidney failure. Met a nephrologist who told me I had high blood pressure 200/90, anaemia. So he initiated treatment with drugs but I was so ignorant of this killer ailment that I neglected my drugs and didn't bother watching what I consumed like, alcohol, cigarettes...

By September 2008, I was getting too weak, slim, pale, breathlessness, no urination. I travelled home and miraculously I didnt collapse on my journey because I was a dead man walking.

Finally, when I got home, I sat on a couch and collapsed. Well the next time I regained consciousness, I was told I had being in a 3-week coma. In fact I woke up hooked to a dialysis machine.

Doctor said I had stroke. I had up to a total 20 pints of blood transfusion, erythropoeitin injection three times weekly, iron sucrose, high bp drugs and the rest.

I was on dialysis for 6months, 3 times a week. Then it dawned on me that God given me a second chance to live. I started obeying all medical advice. Since I had stroke, I lost all my psychomotor skills. In short I had to restart life as a baby, I learnt how to move my body, eat, stand, walk, sit, talk, clench a fist. Then, within one month I was recovering with aid of physiotherapy.

January 2009, with the help of family, friends, well wishers. I was transfered to India, I had a kidney transplant April 2009, with mum as a donor. After the transplant I started feeling great. Haemoglobin was now normal, I started having normal urination, blood pressure now 120/70, infact if you had seen me before you wouldn't have recognised me again. I started living a normal life strictly according to medical advice which is to take immunosupresive drug for life.

Six years on I am still healthy, hale and hearty. I can't remember the last time I had malaria fever. Nigerian patients who did same surgery with me that same week, one died two years later, while the other had kidney rejection 3years later due to inconsistency in taking immunosuppresive drugs.

I give God thanks.
Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 28, 2015
CHESTER48:

Your post hurt my eyes. While condemning the OP, I'm gonna advise you read and know what run on statements, correct spelling, and punctuations are.

Thanks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by soulglo: 4:26pm On Jan 28, 2015
Thank God for your life

The average Nigerian's diet is generally very high in sodium and God knows I have never seen people abuse medication like Nigerians. All these can cause serious problems for your kidneys. I'm happy the OP got this second chance. Most people do not. Watch what you eat and take medication exactly as prescribed by a doctor. If your doctor is not the type that is not big on educating you on your health then dump them. They are simply not qualified.

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by bblacky(f): 4:27pm On Jan 28, 2015
Oh God...thank God for a safe and smooth transplant. More healthier life ahead...

1 Like

Re: I'm A Kidney Patient, 6 Years Post Transplant by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 28, 2015
thank God for you op. May God give everyone of us good health.

CHESTER48:
I just want to believe you're a hopeless troll.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plz How Does Postinol 10 Works? / Raymond Dokpesi Recovers From COVID-19 / Nigerian Volunteers To Sierra Leone, Liberia Locked Up In Hotel Over Unpaid Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.