Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,869 members, 7,813,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis (2170 Views)

The True Cause Of Reported Jos Crisis / Ombatse Traditionalists: Police Killed Our Members So We Killed 95 Of Them / Igbo, Yoruba, Others Demand N670bn Compesentation For Jos Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 3:54pm On Dec 21, 2008

Nigeria Forces Are Implicated in the Killings of Muslims
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/world/africa/21nigeria.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=Nigeria&st=cse
By LYDIA POLGREEN
Published: December 20, 2008

DAKAR, Senegal — Government security forces were implicated in the deaths of at least 90 of the hundreds of people killed in religious violence in the central Nigerian city of Jos last month, Human Rights Watch said Saturday.

At least 400 people died when fighting broke out between Muslim and Christian gangs in the city on Nov. 28 and 29 after a dispute about local elections. Each side accused the other of rigging the vote.

Muslims and Christians mingle uneasily in the so-called middle belt region of Nigeria, and tension frequently flares along religious, ethnic and political fault lines.

Initial accounts of the killing in Jos indicated that the gangs had set upon each other’s neighborhoods, burning churches, homes, businesses and mosques.

But based on testimony from witnesses interviewed in the aftermath of the violence, Human Rights Watch researchers documented seven shootings in which the police had killed at least 46 men and boys, almost all of them Muslim.

In addition, military troops killed 47 people, also nearly all Muslims, according to the rights group’s investigation.

Human Rights Watch is an independent group based in New York.

The regional governor had issued a shoot-to-kill order in the city to quell the violence, which had erupted with sudden ferocity.

Witnesses described seeing police officers hunt down men and kill them at close range, according to the report.

“The duty of the police and the military was to stop the bloodshed generated by this extremely tragic episode of intercommunal violence, not contribute to it,” Corinne Dufka, a senior researcher for Human Rights Watch who visited Jos in the days after the killings, said in a statement.

Nigeria is Africa’s most populous nation, and its 140 million people are divided almost evenly between Islam and Christianity. Tensions between the religious groups have exploded periodically, often as proxy for deeper divisions over land, power and politics.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by 4Play(m): 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2008
Human Rights Watch has long lost its credibility and is one of the world's foremost 'dhimmi' organisations.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2008
This story is even more disturbing.

The Human Rights Watch have accounts on the issues here;

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2008/12/19/nigeria-arbitrary-killings-security-forces-jos

It seems this is a Massacre against the minority (Hausa-Fulani Muslims) in Jos.

I am pleading all Hausa-Fulani Muslims in Jos to leave the town and go to places far north like Kano, Sokoto, Borno, where they will peacefully.

Imagine place like Kano, the governor ruling now has his root to Bornu (But it does not matter), they don't care, because he is a Muslim and from the same empire.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Seun(m): 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2008
In other words, the police killed at least 90 rioters.  Pardon my ignorance, but why is this bad?

Update: It appears they were killed indiscriminately in their private residences. That is disturbing.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2008
Where and How did they lost their credibility, it seems any one with the truth has lost his credibility in this world, abeg, I need to migrate to Mars wooo.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 4:03pm On Dec 21, 2008
@ Seun

The duty of the police and military was to stop the bloodshed generated by this extremely tragic episode of inter-communal violence, not contribute to it. The Nigerian authorities should immediately set up an independent investigation into these extremely serious allegations.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 4:05pm On Dec 21, 2008
None of the rioters were carrying guns, and therefore the police can be able to stop them with rubber bullets or shock, but not shoot to kill approach.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Seun(m): 4:09pm On Dec 21, 2008
If they were killed for rioting and murdering people in the name of religion, then I don't care.
But if they were killed for being muslims while they were at home or in their mosques, that's bad.

Question: If they were unarmed, then how did they manage to kill people before the police got involved?
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2008
The gangs killed with other arms but not guns, as such the police can stop them with tear gas and other less harmful weapons, but not real guns

"They Do not Own this Place"
http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/nigeria0406webwcover.pdf
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by stanech: 4:34pm On Dec 21, 2008
auwal87:

The gangs killed with other arms but not guns, as such the police can stop them with tear gas and other less harmful weapons, but not real guns

See your mouth. So the police will be using teargas to drive them out while they are killing others.
If these muslims are really that bold and not corwards they should bring thier religious riots or jihad to Warri or Aba or dont we have muslims here. They should fight for mohammed in the south and see how quick they will join him. Nonsence

THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE THAN THAT.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 4:53pm On Dec 21, 2008
But it is quite unfortunate that Hausa Fulani (Muslims) were killed much more than anyone, therefore in this case, it is a matter of what contributed to more death, I bet even in Kano, when there is fighting, Police sometimes shoot, but not upto that number (90) this indicates there is an order for that before they started the act, and since non-Muslims were killing much more than the Muslims it means non-Muslims were carrying arms/weapons more advanced than the Muslims, most probably they were carrying guns.

It is therefore necessary to investigate the killings throughly and see who are those behind those acts, the reasons while this things keeps happening is that the so-called indigenes are always favoured when it comes to matters of Judgment, I bet, all the Indigenes of Jos caught in the crisis will be released without charge, but the non-indigenes will be charged and most probably be sent to Prison, the result is this Indigenes will still raise more violence in the state.

The truth maybe difficult to be accepted, but Hausa-Fulani of Jos are very peaceful loving people, and I bet, the Indigenes of Jos are worried about Hausa-Fulani people being participating in the politics of Jos. The end thing is "Why will the party nominate a Hausa-Fulani as candidate since they knew he was not an Indigene? Why?
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by banom(m): 5:03pm On Dec 21, 2008
auwal87:

"They Do not Own this Place"
http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/nigeria0406webwcover.pdf

You are a very stupid person, Now can you see how painfull it is  to see your people dieing, Killing is Killing, it does not matter if it was by gun or something else, since this useless fools killed they deserve to be killed as well  or were you expecting the police to start smiling with deadly Hausa islamic murderers who can behead there fellow humans with knife, Next time i suggest the police should use bomb to sweep out these Animals.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by bindex(m): 7:13pm On Dec 21, 2008
If they were rioters then they surely deserved it.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by RibaduFan(m): 8:59pm On Dec 21, 2008
Auwal

Tell it to the marines
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by auwal87(m): 12:26pm On Dec 22, 2008
I guess the Human Rights Watch are doing their best in revealing the truth.

Time will tell.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by remedies4a(m): 1:55pm On Jan 10, 2009
auwal87:

None of the rioters were carrying guns, and therefore the police can be able to stop them with rubber bullets or shock, but not shoot to kill approach.

Mr Auwal or what is that your name, u lack evidence to back up your argument. from all indications u are not living in jos so all u've being saying is based on heresayand therefore wrong for u to just conclude. those rioters killed by the police or soldeir were carrying sophisticated weapon which is a threat to other citizens including the police who will have to protect the and maintain peace. so u dont expect the police to just use rubber bullets while the rioters keep killing other poeple.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 10, 2009
Kudos to the police in jos unlike in kano, kaduna and maiduguri where the security agents helped the jihadists to kill as many christians and Igbos they could reach.
If the police have been effective like this in the past, we wont be hearing anything like religious/ethnic riots in nigeria.

Once again, police, una well done. kiss
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by ow11(m): 2:31pm On Jan 10, 2009
The original poster is obviously pissed that Hausa murderers were not spared in this latest round of violence. If the said Muslims were in their homes and the Police went and killed them, then that is wrong but if they were on the streets shouting and killing then by all means they deserved it.In the past, especially the Araba violence in 1966, soldiers of the Nigerian army went to airports and motor parks and killed harmless southerners fleeing to their ancestral homes. This act as far as auwal87 is concerned is alright but when the Nigerian Police kill rioters that just went to houses and killed innocent people, he is upset and wants to know why they weren't given the usual slap on the wrist.

Nigeria is changing and status quo will not remain where Hausa people can just wake up one morning and for a flimsy reason go on rampage and kill southern Nigerians. They should learn to take their grievances to court and stop going on rampage and shout 'Allahu Akbar' when they feel they are being cheated.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by PeeDaVinci: 2:33pm On Jan 10, 2009
the source of the report is senegal- of all countries, senegal reporting about nigeria and not just reporting, but reporting statistical facts- were they there? how did they know, ? the tone of the report is even very very biased. if there is anything i will advice anybody to do with this report, i will say just trash it in the bin- this cant form any basis for any form of argument or discusssion
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 10, 2009
PeeDaVinci:

the source of the report is senegal- of all countries, senegal reporting about nigeria and not just reporting, but reporting statistical facts- were they there? how did they know, ? the tone of the report is even very very biased. if there is anything i will advice anybody to do with this report, i will say just trash it in the bin- this can't form any basis for any form of argument or discusssion

Whether the source is from senegal or finland, the police did help a great deal in restoring peace back to jos by gunning down the jihadists on killing rampage. That i say is a good development from the nigerian police.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Chongaiman: 4:55pm On Jan 10, 2009
I am sure that the police and soldiers included members of different religions. I can't imagine myself shooting at a member of my religion for no just cause even if ordered. It is disturbing to note that the number of those killed by the security forces are mainly of a particular ethnic tribe and religion. It raises many questions about such people no matter how much one may wish to keep mum for the sake of peace - even if an uneasy one.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Ibime(m): 5:36pm On Jan 10, 2009
The same Southern Nigerians who promote "ONE NIGERIA" are the same Southern Nigerians who are here condoning (or denying) the actions of the police in the Jos riots without knowing the full story.

This quickness to absolve the Police of any wrongdoing is disturbing. It dehumanises the victims.

What is there to unify us if even "ONE NIGERIANS" cannot act or think in a manner which is conducive to unity?

Further evidence that there is no such thing as "ONE NIGERIA".

You cannot be a Republican on one hand and then deny justice to citizens of the Republic (in this case, Hausa) on the other hand.

Police should all be prosecuted. If they are innocent, we will find out in a court of law. This is just the "due process" that all democratic Nations employ. We should expect no less in Nigeria.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by chidichris(m): 9:11pm On Jan 10, 2009
@ poster,
only 90 u mean or did u want to say 900?
next time let them use army because killing them is usually advantage because that is a very simple way for them to inherit and enjoy their 14 virgins per a man overthere.
if i were u, i will be here wasting my time writting all these things when others are enjoying 14 virgins. my dear, pls go and do suicide bombing once and for all because u have a lot to gain. imagine only u managing 14 virgins tier rubber. na waa, if u are not in jos, pls rush than to jos so that the police will kill u b4 they leave jos. adieu brother!
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Sammy107d(m): 9:19pm On Jan 10, 2009
why the hell is this in Senegalese news? and whos the girl from NY times?  African countries have just recently, started concocting maligning stories about other african countries- saw a Gambian news site recently, and they were just propagating falsehood. Check your sources before you launch your tirades. I dont know, but i'll rather believe the nigerian police devils that those white journalists. . .
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by otokx(m): 9:33pm On Jan 10, 2009
This is just nonsense; senegal of all places. It is a pity.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by AbuMaryam1(m): 10:22pm On Jan 10, 2009
Auwal
The Senegal release itself is err. It was C.A.N that infiltrated the Nigerian police and killed innocents in Jos. And it has been long when they started engineering this kind of debacle. Let me figure out their (CAN) weapon stations in Jos. In u knw Jos watch following churches they are the depository centres of CAN ammunitions
1.Anglican church Amigo junction by new market.
2. catholic ecwa Church at Nassarawa Junction if ur going to Dogon Dutse
3. Our ladie saint Fatima Ali kazaure by Monido street
4. Saint Morumba zaria Road
Jona Jang the excutive Govt of plateau state is highly involved in the recent riot thats why the panic.
For those that dont knw, the indigeneos mendicants of plateau state are not the brain behind the myhem in Jos city. As time goes on C.A.N will have no place to hide their evil agenders.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by udezue(m): 1:03am On Jan 11, 2009
The police did a good job killing the insane 90 rioters.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Jakumo(m): 3:10am On Jan 11, 2009
Q. What would you call a thousand zealots at the bottom of the sea ?

A. A good start.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Sammy107d(m): 5:28am On Jan 11, 2009
Jakumo:

Q. What would you call a thousand zealots at the bottom of the sea ?

A. A good start.

Officially my best poster on Nairaland grin
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by chidichris(m): 11:01am On Jan 11, 2009
Auwal
The Senegal release itself is err. It was C.A.N that infiltrated the Nigerian police and killed innocents in Jos. And it has been long when they started engineering this kind of debacle. Let me figure out their (CAN) weapon stations in Jos. In u knw Jos watch following churches they are the depository centres of CAN ammunitions
1.Anglican church Amigo junction by new market.
2. catholic ecwa Church at Nassarawa Junction if ur going to Dogon Dutse
3. Our ladie saint Fatima Ali kazaure by Monido street
4. Saint Morumba zaria Road
Jona Jang the excutive Govt of plateau state is highly involved in the recent riot thats why the panic.
For those that don't knw, the indigeneos mendicants of plateau state are not the brain behind the myhem in Jos city. As time goes on C.A.N will have no place to hide their evil agenders.

Abu Maryam,
i believe your news above others but my only problem here is that it is incomplete. what i mean by ur information been incomplete is that you did not mention the churches that do not keep weapons.
on the other hand, it is obvious the muslims on their own have weapons. where do the muslims keep their own weapons? in the mosdques? if yes which mosques and if no where?
from the tone of your post, u seem to know much about these muslim/christian problems but my advise to you is that killing in the name of God is a crime against humanity and God.
when i see some muslims and the way they talk and behalf, the gentility of their lives and maturity in their behaviours, i feel like been one. if you have been to Dubai, their muslims can lure you to islam. they are so gentle and friendly, they are neat and accommondating. they discuss with cheerfulness and ask you things about ur religion. sometimes, when someother muslims talk with me, i keep wondering if these two classes of muslims that i meet are using the same qoran. at the end of the day, other regions in nigeria are different from the North when it comes to religions issues.
let us leave God/Allah to fight his war.
the senegal that is reporting, i v been there and they have muslims and christians who eat and din like one family. u v have been to senegal, u will hardly seperate these two religion and till date, they move along peacefully and pray to their various Gods.
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 11, 2009
Who can be as fanatical and hypocritical as nigerians?
Forget them jare. . .
Re: The Police Killed At Least 90 Muslims In Jos Crisis by ow11(m): 2:28pm On Jan 11, 2009
Abu-Maryam:

It was C.A.N that infiltrated the Nigerian police and killed innocents in Jos. And it has been long when they started [b]engineering[/b]this kind of debacle.

As far as this poster is concerned, a PDP hijacked election was 'engineered' by CAN to kill Hausa youths. She has failed to tell us why Hausa youths upset about an insult to their holy prophet in far away Denmark equals killing and burning the houses of non-Hausa people. If people decide to take measures to secure themselves against rampant murder, I do not see anything wrong.

The last riot in Jos should be a eye opener to Hausa youths that the wanton destruction of lives and property for any reason will NOT be the order of the day in the 21st century. They should learn to approach their grievances in the most civil manner as violence will only be responded to by counter violence.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Nigeria Gets Vice President: President Goodluck Jonathan Appoints / Why Nigerians, others have Low IQ!!!! / Gov. Uduaghan Urges Deltans To Be Patient With His Administration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.