Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,873 members, 7,956,300 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:25 AM

Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps (3068 Views)

Househelps- YES Or NO (give Reasons) / My Husband Beats Me With Cutlass; Targeting My Eyes- Domestic Violence Victim / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by petikal(m): 12:55am On Jan 20, 2015
In many parts of Nigeria, it is common practice for families to have a house help/maid (sometimes a relative) who assists madam with domestic chores, while oga concentrates on being the main breadwinner - never cooks or cleans anything. However, we're also seeing a category of men who wouldn't mind helping in domestic things.

So, assuming money isn't much of an issue:

Ladies, would you rather have a maid help out on house duties, or your husband?

Men, why would (or wouldn't) you help your wife with the domestic chores?
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by 5minsmadness: 1:34am On Jan 20, 2015
I wont be the first to comment. Let others talk first.
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by asadike(f): 4:04am On Jan 20, 2015
No, I don't want a maid. I pray I will be able to get things done myself
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Nobody: 5:42am On Jan 20, 2015
I dnt wish to marry a wife dat wil b lazy in d kitchen wether she has a maid or not
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by petikal(m): 5:57am On Jan 20, 2015
asadike:
No, I don't want a maid. I pray I will be able to get things done myself
Even if that involves combining it with regular daytime work?

2 Likes

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Nobody: 6:35am On Jan 20, 2015
Having a house help depends on the fate that befalls one and the way one plan to live his or her life. I and my wife decided long before marriage that we will have only two kids and BC of that we packaged our life to that. No housemaid.
However some may get themselves a tasking job after so many years of searching and telling them to carry all burden in the house without a help maid will be a hard advice.
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by soulglo: 6:43am On Jan 20, 2015
I'd rather have a housekeeper so I have more time with my husband and the kids. The help is not just the help for the woman but for the family.

3 Likes

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by asadike(f): 7:20am On Jan 20, 2015
petikal:

Even if that involves combining it with regular daytime work?
yes dear, all it need is my determination.

1 Like

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by breathless(m): 6:14pm On Jan 20, 2015
Shared responsibilities among couples will be largely dependent on the vocations of the spouse's in a marital relationship in my opinion.
For instance, I'm an entrepreneur while my spouse is in paid employment with a business by the side. Most times during school sessions, I prepare the kids for school though we nave a daytime nanny. I'm very domesticated and help out with house chores as I can't stand a disorganized environment.

3 Likes

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by raumdeuter: 6:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
It depends on both spouses schedule. if your schedules are super tight, then getting a house keeper is the logical thing to do
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 20, 2015
I would go for a house help because of the following reasons:

- Doing house chores is boring (most of the time).

- I work a lot.

- I am quite fussy, I don't want to have discussions with him about how it should be done properly.

- We can use the after work time better (reading, going to the movies, out for dinner, watching TV, sport, just relax, play with kids if there are any...)

- Someone is given an employment opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by shevon: 7:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
There is no biggie helping out with house chores.
For example my wife has chose to stay home since the baby came and I don't think it is fair for her to be the one taking care of the baby and the house, so I got her a house help. But every weekend, I insist on cooking for the house and cleaning the kitchen cos I feel they do it all week long and I'm not always comfortable playing 'boss' when I'm at home and others are working. In fact this week, our help was ill and my wife cleans the house during the day and when I return home, I make dinner and clean the kitchen before I sleep for 3 days.
Ko si big deal n'be.

7 Likes

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by okotv(m): 7:22pm On Jan 20, 2015
carefreewannabe:
I would go for a house help because of the following reasons:

- Doing house chores is boring (most of the time).

- I work a lot.

- I am quite fussy, I don't want to have discussions with him about how it should be done properly.

- We can use the after work time better (reading, going to the movies, out for dinner, watching TV, sport, just relax, play with kids if there are any...)

- Someone is given an employment opportunity.
Now I understand the reason for the monicker.

1 Like

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by thorpido(m): 7:52pm On Jan 20, 2015
If you can get a househelp,then that helps to reduce the work for your wife.However,if there is no househelp,the hubby should help with domestic chores.

With or without a househelp,I still take care of domestic chores.There are just some ways i like things to be, so I get them done myself.

2 Likes

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jan 20, 2015
okotv:
Now I understand the reason for the monicker.

Really? Explain.
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by okotv(m): 9:35pm On Jan 20, 2015
carefreewannabe:

Really? Explain.
the second to the last paragraph says it all. You just want to be care free.
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Ewuro4: 10:57pm On Jan 20, 2015
A little help wouldn't hurt. grin

1 Like

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by cococandy(f): 2:43am On Jan 21, 2015
Househelp or husbandhelp the important thing is that the woman gets help. Although nothing beats a husbandhelp. Doing chores together can be fun.

2 Likes

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Nobody: 3:54am On Jan 21, 2015
I don't believe in babysitters, or house-help. Strange since they actually exist, right?
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by KanwuliaJara: 4:51am On Jan 21, 2015
For how long? undecided
With all those children being bred out of joblessness in AFRICA? cheesy
It gets to a certain stage. . . YOU CAN'T EVEN STAND FOR MORE THAN 2 hours in the NIGERIAN HEAT!
Or wash your own FILTHY car with all the NASTY roads all over Nigeria.

Have you ever been to BALOGUN or ONITSHA market BY YOURSELF? grin
We will always need house-helps IN NIGERIA!!!

As you get older and more BUSY with work. . . YOU WILL NEED HOUSE-HELPS.
At least for once a week!

JUST PAY THEM WELL. . . AND LET THEM HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURSUE THEIR DREAMS IN LIFE BY ASSISTING THEM.
They are not slaves!!!! kiss

1 Like

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by petikal(m): 7:13am On Jan 21, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

JUST PAY THEM WELL. . . AND LET THEM HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURSUE THEIR DREAMS IN LIFE BY ASSISTING THEM.
They are not slaves!!!! kiss

That's another thing. The reality is that many of these househelps aren't paid well - some not at all. Sure, you may take care of their academics/shelter and feed them, but that's what most'll get!
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by susrite(m): 7:29am On Jan 21, 2015

Actually, I dislike the idea of having a maid. But let's first define what house chores are: A routine or minor task, especially an household task. Writing on that definition, I dont think a maid is neccesary. Women are expected most of the times to do these chores. However, if there are task that are burdensome, I see no reason why a well-educated and loving husband will throw 'em all to his wife... The bible says helpmate and anything that has mate means you both should get involved.
The only time I can think about getting a helper for my wife is the day she tells me she's pregnant as her pregnancy shouldn't stop my job neither should I work her out with chores.

1 Like

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by KanwuliaJara: 7:58am On Jan 21, 2015
petikal:

That's another thing. The reality is that many of these househelps aren't paid well - some not at all. Sure, you may take care of their academics/shelter and feed them, but that's what most'll get!

They are maltreated and oppressed, because big ogas and madams want PERMANENT slaves with no ambitions.
Pathetic! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by ihedinobi2: 8:19am On Jan 21, 2015
I would help my wife with the chores. I really have issues with sharing intimate space. We'd have to have a big house and a heavy load of responsibilities to get household employees. Even then I'd be glad to help her with any planning and administration if she needs it.
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Nmeri17: 8:26am On Jan 21, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

They are maltreated and oppressed, because big ogas and madams want PERMANENT slaves with no ambitions.
Pathetic! embarassed
when u start treating them nicely they start misbehaving
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by modele2: 9:32am On Jan 21, 2015
petikal:

Please is this any different from what children of the house get? What else is there?

If the maid is not in school however ensuring the person also learns a skill or trade while with you is highly beneficial as it empowers the person for the future, the maid work has no future career. Personally i employ only people above 20 for that work no child abuse tins.

I cannot cope with the work alone, i go old. Husband is not the type inclined to help and i would not even bother asking him...fight tins. If one has a spouse that is inclined to domestic work then all good, they can cope without a help.
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by 5minsmadness: 10:23am On Jan 21, 2015
This is why slavery will continue to thrive no matter what modern name we call it to soothe our conscience.

What kind of chore do you have in your house that both of you(husband and wife) cannot handle by yourself? Being lazy has become so fashionable in this generation that despite the increase in gadgets to make life easier for people, they still complain that the workload is too much when in actual fact they just want to have more time to be carefree and enjoy the benefits of sitting at home doing nothing. Even staying up at night to care for their own children has become so much of a chore for them meanwhile when they were single they would work nine-to-five and still have time to go night clubbing till 3am before resuming work the next day.

Lazy and over-enjoyment generation.

Next thing they will say as long as the househelp is above 18 they can hire her to sweep thier house.

Please stop the hypocrisy and legalise slavery. Even slaves were taken care of and paid stipends for their labour.

1 Like

Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by bukatyne(f): 11:18am On Jan 21, 2015
But honestly, is a husband really 'helping' his wife with chores?

Is the wife really 'helping' her husband with finances?

@ OP:

If a husband is humble enough to bend down and clean up his house, they might not need a maid.

Some houses need helps sha.

ALSO when the couple is older, they would require help (when all the kids are out of the house)
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by KanwuliaJara: 11:50am On Jan 21, 2015
Nmeri17:
when u start treating them nicely they start misbehaving

That is the truth unfortunately.
It is a hopeless situation!
Real catch 22! undecided
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by Nmeri17: 12:01pm On Jan 21, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

That is the truth unfortunately.
It is a hopeless situation!
Real catch 22! undecided
its not smiley. push them to the wall!! its not like they're on a vacation
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by KanwuliaJara: 12:19pm On Jan 21, 2015
Nmeri17:
its not smiley. push them to the wall!! its not like they're on a vacation

Great.
Good luck to you. kiss
Re: Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps by ifyalways(f): 1:41pm On Jan 21, 2015
So having a help absolves one of responsibilities? Naija mentality!

Abeg, treat your helps well. Find out their dreams, help them push it and believe me, they will lay their lives for you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Cope With My Wife Pressure? / Best Way To Punish & Deal With A Disrespectful Wife. / Am A Russian Girl And Am In Love Wit Nigerian Guy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.