Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Another Landmark Achievement For Duke - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Landmark Achievement For Duke (1225 Views)

Your Top 5 In Expected List Of Achievement For FG / Landmark Achievements In Nigeria Since 1914 / Anxiety As Supreme Court Moves To Sack 5 Governors In Landmark Judgement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Another Landmark Achievement For Duke by Revolution: 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2006
Obudu race gets IAAF Permit status (http://odili.net/news/source/2006/aug/18/10.html)

THE Obudu Ranch International Mountain Race has achieved a major feat.

Only in its second year, the race has been approved by the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) as a permit race.

A letter conveying the approval was signed by Pierre Weiss, secretary general of IAAF, and sent to the Local Organising Committee (LOC) Chairman, William Archibong. The IAAF also copied the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) and the World Mountain Running Association (WMRA).

This means that the race is to enjoy the status of an IAAF event and all the rules and regulations of the IAAF guiding the organisation of such events must be adhered to. The LOC is to send a report on the event to the IAAF immediately it ends.

It also implies that records broken at the event would be ratified and approved by the IAAF and international athletes can score and accumulate points at the event.

The first edition of the race endorsed by the World Mountain Running Association (WMRA), which held last year, was adjudged to be hugely successful, a feat that brought about its instant recognition by the IAAF. That edition saw Ben duBois of Australia and Anna Pitchrtova of the Czech Republic winning for men and women respectively.

The Obudu Ranch International Mountain Race remains the highest paying mountain race in the world, with the winners for both men and women taking home the star prize of $50,000. The second edition comes up on November 25, 2006, at the Obudu Ranch Resort, Cross River State, Nigeria, with a lot of innovations.

There will be a VIP challenge, where His Excellency, the Governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke, will race with VIPs, celebrities and top executives of Corporate Nigeria and the first prize here will be a Live Bull.

There will also be the Media Race and a three-day massive build-up to the main race, which will include road shows, stakeholders dinner, bonfire night and an anti-doping seminar.
Re: Another Landmark Achievement For Duke by TayoD(m): 8:05pm On Aug 18, 2006
I don't know much about what else Duke has achieved, but I am really impressed by his innovations with respect to the tourism sector. I went to Obudu cattle Ranch for my honey moon and my wife and I can't wait to go back there.

I can only say he should keep up the good work.
Re: Another Landmark Achievement For Duke by DeepSoul(f): 3:37pm On Aug 20, 2006
There's also Tinapa. All those employment opportunities,

(1) (Reply)

Can You Die For Nigeria / Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, Governor Of Bayelsa State Picked As Yar' Adua's Running M / Pdp Ticket Zoned To The North: Am I The Only One That Thinks It Is Ridicolous:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.