Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? (26118 Views)

5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) / Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan / Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Dottore: 6:37am On Oct 12, 2016
Ok
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by exlinkleads(f): 6:38am On Oct 12, 2016
Simple........

Just keep a date when you changed your car oil ---

and make sure you change it again exactly 3 months interval.

Depends on how often you commute with your car
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by erico2k2(m): 6:42am On Oct 12, 2016
zinaLPF:

I am by no means a car expert, just a gal who enjoys reading about cars and learning from this forum. However, I know enough to know that the above is terrible advice. I am not certain that the dashboard tells you when an oil change is due! It will indicate low oil pressure and tell you when a service is due. 2 totally different things! Besides, the OP did not say what type of vehicle he has, how do you know if he has a newer vehicle with modern electronics?

@ OP -
Most people would do an oil change either based on mileage or time. I use synthetic oil and change my oil (and filter) every 5000 miles or 3 months.

Hope that helps?
Well I would like to tel you cars do indicate Oil change cos there is a clever way it measures the viscosity of you Oil.Low oil pre sure means you ate short or have a leak . This is important if your car has no dip stick.
The classic BMW 3 series of 1993-1998 does give you an indication to change your Oil . Your Range rover does same . I'm speaking from expirience
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by erico2k2(m): 6:44am On Oct 12, 2016
kayswag100:
I drive a Nissan Altima 2006 2.5L.

It's an everyday-use car. I changed my oil (Total) about 4 months back but have driven only about 1500 miles since.

my office isn't that far from home though.

Question is: Am I due for oil change yet? (pls leave oil colour outta it because research has shown that oil clod change to black as early as 1 week after previous oil change).

pls I need urgent answer
3000 miles mate.check ur books
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by ceaser: 6:44am On Oct 12, 2016
Okay. Here is what I do.

For the first picture, a 99 primera that is no more as good as new, I carefully write down the trip A computer value at each oil change on a strip of paper and tape it on the door rim beside the driver's dash. I am to change the oil at the next 5000kms.

For the other two rides, more recent and as good as new, I learnt how to reset the last oil change value on the trip A computer and have it reset to zero at each oil change. When it is nearing or clocks 3000 miles, it's due for oil change. If the mechanic doing the oil change is versed in doing the reset I ask him to but if not, I do it myself.

RX300 Trip A: 1515.4 miles
RX330 Trip A: 2958.0 miles

Both will undergo oil change when reading clocks 3000 miles.

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by drnoel: 6:50am On Oct 12, 2016
jusRadical:
Guys I use Mobil xhp oil. Most times, I do not know when the vehicle is due for oil change. Please I would like good professionals to give me details on how to know when the vehicle is due for oil change.

The car would normally tell u. Nissan for life.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by cmpunk: 6:51am On Oct 12, 2016
I already set a 4000km + benchmark for my car. I also write down the date I change it and I've got no issue for over 3 years and counting..EOD

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Estimable(m): 6:53am On Oct 12, 2016
kayswag100:
I drive a Nissan Altima 2006 2.5L.

It's an everyday-use car. I changed my oil (Total) about 4 months back but have driven only about 1500 miles since.

my office isn't that far from home though.

Question is: Am I due for oil change yet? (pls leave oil colour outta it because research has shown that oil clod change to black as early as 1 week after previous oil change).

pls I need urgent answer
Forget whether your office is in your house, provided you drive the car around, change the oil atmost 2 months, if you want your engine to be always sound.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Estimable(m): 6:55am On Oct 12, 2016
exlinkleads:
Simple........

Just keep a date when you changed your car oil ---

and make sure you change it again exactly 3 months interval.

Depends on how often you commute with your car
3 months is too much, atmost 2 months, some change after a month, but due to economy and rise in prices of almost every commodity, 2 months is cool.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by LOVEGINO(m): 7:07am On Oct 12, 2016
I no even remember when I change oil. Since vapour still dey comot for exhaust, na to dey fire dey go grin

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by ceaser: 7:10am On Oct 12, 2016
LOVEGINO:
I no even remember when I change oil. Since vapour still dey comot for exhaust, na to dey fire dey go grin

Okay o. I sorry you heh. Even the 99 primera still dey comot vapour and water for exhaust. That no mean say the engine new.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by metorichmond(m): 7:15am On Oct 12, 2016
I change my oil every month even when I don't cover the supposed 5000km and is not as if I over stress the car. Livinus my mechanic advised that for me.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 12, 2016
zinaLPF:

I am by no means a car expert, just a gal who enjoys reading about cars and learning from this forum. However, I know enough to know that the above is terrible advice. I am not certain that the dashboard tells you when an oil change is due! It will indicate low oil pressure and tell you when a service is due. 2 totally different things! Besides, the OP did not say what type of vehicle he has, how do you know if he has a newer vehicle with modern electronics?

@ OP -
Most people would do an oil change either based on mileage or time. I use synthetic oil and change my oil (and filter) every 5000 miles or 3 months.

Hope that helps?

Spot on.

@OP i change mine every 3 months even though my service center are always complaining that the oil isnt due, hence they end up using my changed oil in other cars. My point is like zinaLPF pointed out just Use distance traveled or time,at the ensd of the day it depends on your budget cos some oils only require 6 month changes
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by abbas01: 7:21am On Oct 12, 2016
Get your oil changed at good service station. They will recommend the next due date. In the middle east, next service is usually due after 10,000 km/6000 miles.

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by exlinkleads(f): 7:42am On Oct 12, 2016
Estimable:

3 months is too much, atmost 2 months, some change after a month, but due to economy and rise in prices of almost every commodity, 2 months is cool.

thats good but again, it depends on how often u use your ride
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 12, 2016
I work with the car's 'viscometer', it tells in percentage (%) the oil life_ otherwise I work with mileage (this is rare, 'cos I don't even get to cover the ideal distance in a long time).

Consult your car manual.
Since 2015? I hope the OP engine never knock grin
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by RazaqMB(m): 8:01am On Oct 12, 2016
I service mine every 7000miles when I use a synthetic oil. Also, I think your oil filter determines the amount of miles to be covered. I use Mobil 1 AFS and a mobil 1 oil filter and I cover about 70-80miles/day without traffic(leaving very early and coming home late). I also read online that you shouldn't cover as much miles when you don't know the history of a car while using full synthetic oils this is because you don't know the amount of sludge that has built in the engine so early change of oil is required(3000-4000miles) when using full synthetic oils for 2-3times
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by InvertedHammer: 8:13am On Oct 12, 2016
/
I do oil change twice a year. Left to the manufacturers, they will have you do it every 3000k. Yeah right. In their dreams.

I drove a car for two years with no oil change, just top offs. The person I gave it to is still enjoying it up till today.

\

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by kabrud: 8:18am On Oct 12, 2016
zinaLPF:

@ OP -

Hope that helps?
Not exactly bro.
First, I don't think the car model is of any significance as long as it is among the relatively latest cars (98-till date). Secondly, the dash board is an invaluable means through which u can check that. The yellow light (in most cars) which shows "Maint Reqd" is not there for fashion. Whenever it comes up, it is actually telling you that ur car is due for servicing (filter and oil change). Thirdly, as part of driving skills, it is a good practice to always check the oil guage every morning b4 starting the car. What u check are the oil level and colour. Very low level suggests top up is required (symptom of fault in the engine) while very black colour suggests that servicing is required.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by erico2k2(m): 8:27am On Oct 12, 2016
ceaser:
Okay. Here is what I do.

For the first picture, a 99 primera that is no more as good as new, I carefully write down the trip A computer value at each oil change on a strip of paper and tape it on the door rim beside the driver's dash. I am to change the oil at the next 5000kms.

For the other two rides, more recent and as good as new, I learnt how to reset the last oil change value on the trip A computer and have it reset to zero at each oil change. When it is nearing or clocks 3000 miles, it's due for oil change. If the mechanic doing the oil change is versed in doing the reset I ask him to but if not, I do it myself.

RX300 Trip A: 1515.4 miles
RX330 Trip A: 2958.0 miles

Both will undergo oil change when reading clocks 3000 miles.
xcellent
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by ALISMILE(m): 8:28am On Oct 12, 2016
AutosBay:
Check if the engine oil in the dip stick is black, pay close attention to your dashboard, the oil change light would come on if it's due.
what? I ve never had that light on. I think damage wud ve been done by the time it turns on.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by erico2k2(m): 8:29am On Oct 12, 2016
kabrud:

Not exactly bro.
First, I don't think the car model is of any significance as long as it is among the relatively latest cars (98-till date). Secondly, the dash board is an invaluable means through which u can check that. The yellow light (in most cars) which shows "Maint Reqd" is not there for fashion. Whenever it comes up, it is actually telling you that ur car is due for servicing (filter and oil change). Thirdly, as part of driving skills, it is a good practice to always check the oil guage every morning b4 starting the car. What u check are the oil level and colour. Very low level suggests top up is required (symptom of fault in the engine) while very black colour suggests that servicing is required.
This is true however it is worthy to know some new cars have no dip stick .U cannot check every morning in them ones.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by SGCSolutions(f): 8:33am On Oct 12, 2016
I live in the Uk and it is done every year.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by ALISMILE(m): 8:44am On Oct 12, 2016
FlyboyZee:
To me every 6 months or 2000km is not bad since it is a 15 years old car. Otherwise, Toyota recommends 10,000km or 6 months for most of their brand new vehicles but they however advise that after 100,000km, servicing should be done at 5,000km or 6 months intervals, whichever comes first. But, I usually suggest 2,000km for most used car owners since you don't know for sure whether the initial owner has followed the manufacturer's instructions to the later.
u didn't put into consideration the quality of oil he uses. I use normal total quartz 5000 under similar conditions. Is ur recommendation suitAble as well for this oil specification?
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by kabrud: 8:47am On Oct 12, 2016
erico2k2:

This is true however it is worthy to know some new cars have no dip stick .U cannot check every morning in them ones.
I stand corrected, tnx.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by Ziondebade(m): 8:53am On Oct 12, 2016
jusRadical:
Guys I use Mobil xhp oil. Most times, I do not know when the vehicle is due for oil change. Please I would like good professionals to give me details on how to know when the vehicle is due for oil change.
Guy, i dont tink all cars have a said oil changing time. oil changing in cars depends on d user. its just like saying WHEN DO WE TAKE LUNCH? Some might take lunch by 12noon, others by 2pm while others by 1pm. Same applies to cars. All cars have their distinct oil changing system that is always determined by the driver or a regular mechanic of dat same car. d fact dat i drive a camry and u drive a camry is not a yardstick to say dat d changing time must b same. bros, i really tink you should feel ur car, listen to it. u must know d car is telling you to change its oil. I remember one time when my car spoke to me to change its oil, i disobeyed it and said its too early; it ended up embarasin me on d highway and d mechanic confirmed it. Just listen to your car all the time, not only for oil but every tin.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by hylyne(m): 8:59am On Oct 12, 2016
It's conventional to service your vehicle every 5000km or 3 months, whichever comes first. Meaning, that if your vehicle covered 5000km in a week after serving , kindly change the oil and filter. You must not wait until the oil light shows on the dashboard, before serving it. Consistency, in doing this keeps your engine in a good Form.

Well, it's really advisable to use standard workshops for this service and also be consistent with the kind of oil that is recommended for your type of vehicle. That the gallon bears TOTAL OIL doesn't mean it original, beware!

After oil change, kindly instruct your Technicians to check your fluid level(break fluid, Power steering oil, gear oil, coolant, radiator water, etc), blow the air filter, if it's not due for change(if the orifices are blocked the engine wouldn't breath well, hence the car could start jerking), clean the throttle body(it does wonders,), check your front and rear lights, brake systems, wipers, grease your door, bonnet and boot hinges(this would help reduce noise during operation.) check tire pressure (low tire pressure consumes fuel)....check the suspension as well, linkages, tie rod, bushings etc.

You might say this would cost you alot. It's called preventive maintenance. Usually, it's cheaper than breakdown maintenance. So be properly, guided.

NB. It's not actually, the color of oil on the dip stick, that determines if your car is due for service , but the VISCOSITY of the oil, which is what the engine needs for lubrication. So if you really understand the concept, you don't stop at just seeing,you still need to feel it by touching to feel the gummy property, viscosity....

Finally, always ask for your NEXT SERVICE STICKER from your technician. The next service km is usually written there, for your guide.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by hylyne(m): 9:08am On Oct 12, 2016
Ziondebade:

Guy, i dont tink all cars have a said oil changing time. oil changing in cars depends on d user. its just like saying WHEN DO WE TAKE LUNCH? Some might take lunch by 12noon, others by 2pm while others by 1pm. Same applies to cars. All cars have their distinct oil changing system that is always determined by the driver or a regular mechanic of dat same car. d fact dat i drive a camry and u drive a camry is not a yardstick to say dat d changing time must b same. bros, i really tink you should feel ur car, listen to it. u must know d car is telling you to change its oil. I remember one time when my car spoke to me to change its oil, i disobeyed it and said its too early; it ended up embarasin me on d highway and d mechanic confirmed it. Just listen to your car all the time, not only for oil but every tin.

Guy it's adviceable to stick to recommended standards. It saves alot of stress. If u don't Wana take instructions from anybody, use ur car manufacturers manuals.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by yjgm(m): 9:37am On Oct 12, 2016
zinaLPF:

@ OP -

Hope that helps?
There are cars that tells you when your car is due for service. It does show on the dashboard as "maintenance required". Once you're done with the servicing, you only need to reset it so that when the next service is due, it will indicate.
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by erico2k2(m): 9:44am On Oct 12, 2016
kabrud:

I stand corrected, tnx.
Ok mayB you haven't seen one mine does not.its a Range Rover Sport Autobiography .
The new Audi ie A5 do not have a deep stick.will look for more makes
The 2014 Vauxhan Zafira does not have an oil dip stick
2014 BMW s
they don't have deep stick it's all done electronically

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by samsilo(m): 9:53am On Oct 12, 2016
The frequency I used t change oil in Nigeria is now amusing to me . Back then I changed oil in my old 504(hand me down car) every 2 months . Since I have been living in the UK , Oli change is standard , once a year or 10,000 miles grin grin.
I yhink part of the problem is that a lot of the oil sold in Nigeria may not be good quality, there has never been any ambiguity at any service garages .
Interestingly BMW and Minis use long life oil and thier standard service interval here is 2 years!!
Re: How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? by crisycent: 9:58am On Oct 12, 2016
How to know if your oil is due for change in 3 steps:

1. Start the car, off it.
2. Start the car again, off it.
3. Start the car again, off it.

If the car starts in the 3 trials, then it is due for oil change.

Mehn shey today na Sunday?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ahh Ahh!!! See How These Dogs Tore A Car Apart / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! / One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.