Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work (1162 Views)

Which Is More Lucrative Between Poultry Farming And Feedmill Industry? / Combining 9-5pm And Managing Agric Biz / Rabbit Farming And Value Addition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by ron011: 1:51pm On Jan 21, 2015
Hi, I was having a discussion with a friend some days ago and i decided to bring it here. My friend recently graduated and just got a job. However shes really passionate about farming and would like to go into it. the problem is her job is very time consuming. shes wondering if she can just open a farm and pay people to run it for her while supervising it from time to time. she might have considered going into it full time but is thinking of what people will say considering that she studied accounting from a very good university and shes also female.

so can farming be done well without the owner being there?
other comments and advice are welcome. thanks
Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 22, 2015
If she can't give the "new" farming business at least 50% of her time, then she had better not try it.
Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by tripleace(m): 9:41pm On Jan 22, 2015
Let starts from the beginning
1. An idea is a vision that comes to one after a conception is formed , usually built over a period of time. Your vision cannot be shared with everybody to the point of seeing what you see. This is why it is not a good idea to startup a farm and hand it to someone else to manage for you. I usually tell my clients, it's like given birth to a baby and leaving it to someone else to raise.

2. You have no formal knowledge or training on what you are about to go into. Like a new born baby that mummy will be around to put you through before you start managing things on your own, in farming- this is not the case. Their are people who are waiting to rob you dry at every junction of your journey. Invest in training yourself. You may also hire a consultant to put you through, but many in the industry or prospectives have not yet keyed into this (reason good once don't come cheap).

Hope I gave a bit of insight to your question asked?
Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 27, 2015
What area of farming is she interested in?
Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by benuejosh: 11:42am On Jan 28, 2015
it depends on the kind or type of Farm she wants to venture into.
Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 29, 2015
She indeed can do it, and more easily so, if she have the passion. Many people including myself do it. Its all about having the right management skill, which one can develop with time. If we have Nigerians though living abroad, are able to own and manage farms here at home, why cant she that lives in Nigeria do it? A paid job no matter where you work and how much they pay you can only sustain a person for sometime, but would not make a person wealthy. Farming is a venture that if managed properly like a biz can make one wealthy. So, I say she's on the right path.

Do not let the "you cant do it" crowd dissuade her. However, my advise to her would be to start small , as small as she can be able to handle (considering her circumstances) so she doesn't get overwhelm at the beginning. Common mistakes people make is that they invest huge capital at the start, even when they lack the management skills required to run a farm. They want quick profits when they're yet to master the skill to make their farm profitable. Eventually, when they fail, they fail big time, and try to discourage others. Farming is a lucrative biz for those who have the passion and patience for it. Many go into farming without having passion for it, yet they want to reap profit big time within a short time. It doesnt happen that way.

My advise to her is for her to start small, as small as she can be able to handle while working. With time she'll get use to it, find the right people to work on her farm, and she'll learn the management aspect. She can gradually expand as she gains more management experience and she'll be able put a proper structure in place that'll see her farm business thrive even while she dedicates her time to her corporate work.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by felixzo1(m): 9:45pm On Jan 29, 2015
Maple:
She indeed can do it, and more easily so, if she have the passion. Many people including myself do it. Its all about having the right management skill, which one can develop with time. If we have Nigerians though living abroad, are able to own and manage farms here at home, why cant she that lives in Nigeria do it? A paid job no matter where you work and how much they pay you can only sustain a person for sometime, but would not make a person wealthy. Farming is a venture that if managed properly like a biz can make one wealthy. So, I say she's on the right path.

Do not let the "you cant do it" crowd dissuade her. However, my advise to her would be to start small , as small as she can be able to handle (considering her circumstances) so she doesn't get overwhelm at the beginning. Common mistakes people make is that they invest huge capital at the start, even when they lack the management skills required to run a farm. They want quick profits when they're yet to master the skill to make their farm profitable. Eventually, when they fail, they fail big time, and try to discourage others. Farming is a lucrative biz for those who have the passion and patience for it. Many go into farming without having passion for it, yet they want to reap profit big time within a short time. It doesnt happen that way.

My advise to her is for her to start small, as small as she can be able to handle while working. With time she'll get use to it, find the right people to work on her farm, and she'll learn the management aspect. She can gradually expand as she gains more management experience and she'll be able put a proper structure in place that'll see her farm business thrive even while she dedicates her time to her corporate work.
we need to see this sunday, i called your line sometime back but you did not answer. how are things with you
Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 29, 2015
felixzo1:
we need to see this sunday, i called your line sometime back but you did not answer. how are things with you

Felixzo, last time I could not reach you either. However, my Farm mgr said he spoke with you briefly; he lives in your area, hence I had wanted him to show you the farm. At the moment, we are looking for good and affordable crossbreeds. I could call you this weekend to talk more. Thanks
Re: Advice Needed: Combining Farming And Corporate Work by billyG(m): 4:52pm On Jan 31, 2015
I does a job that engage me 2wkly in a mnth & plannin 2 go into dry season farming of pepper,tomato,okra,watermelon,cucumber in my state can any1 giv me info on how i can access agric loan or grant frm d govt.

(1) (Reply)

Get Involved in Farmmoney Savings Cooperative with as little as N100 / Dry Ginger Are Available For Sale At Komo Agroservice / Eggs For Sale Bulk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.