Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,263 members, 7,836,197 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / #GEJAchievements in the Health Sector (850 Views)

Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector / #GEJAchievements in Health Sector 1.1.3 / #GEJAchievements in Health Sector 1.1.1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector by GEJAchievements(m): 6:51pm On Jan 22, 2015
#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Save One Million Lives (SOML) Initiative

In order to transform the health sector and enable it deliver quick, yet accessible and high quality health services, the President’s team on Health began by rehabilitating and equipping various health facilities across the nation.

Save One Million Lives Initiative (SOML): In line with the NSHDP, this initiative set a target to save one million lives by the year 2015.

To further invest in the human capital of our population, we are building strong safety nets and improving access to primary health care using the Save One Million Lives programme. In the 2013 fiscal year, we recruited 11,300 frontline health workers who were deployed to under-served communities across the country. We have reached over 10,000 women and children with conditional cash transfer programmes across 8 States (Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Ebonyi, Kaduna, Niger, Ogun, Zamfara) and the FCT and we intend to scale up this successful initiative.

As a result, over 400,000 lives have been saved through our various interventions. Nigeria’s national immunization coverage has now exceeded 80% and is yielding demonstrable results. The Type-3 Wild Polio virus has been contained in 2013, with no recorded transmissions for more than one year; while Guinea worm which previously affected the lives of over 800,000 Nigerians yearly has been largely eradicated. Facilities at various medical centres across the country – such as the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital in Enugu, and the University College Hospital in Ibadan – have also been upgraded. Finally, Nigeria has also been honoured as Co-Chair of the fourth replenishment of the Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: SURE-P Maternal and Child Health Programme
The SURE-P MCH Programme aims to lessen the effect of subsidy reduction on the mass of the people, particularly on women and families with no source of steady incomes and those whose income barely sustains them.

Midwives Service Scheme: This programme aims to reduce maternal mortality rate by providing access to qualified and adequate birth attendants for women , especially those in the rural areas.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Community Based Social Health Insurance:
This scheme seeks to raise the coverage of Health Insurance by reaching out to the rural communities as well as the underserved.

Establishment of the Centre for Disease Control: The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control was established as a collaborative effort between the Federal Ministry of Health and the office of the Special Adviser to the President on MDGs in 2012.

Introduction of new vaccines: The Pentavalent vaccine was introduced into the EPI schedule. This singular vaccine ensures protection agains tDiphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus (DPT), HepatitisB, and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib).

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Modernisation of the Federal Teaching Hospitals
The Government has been upgrading the country’s tertiary health facilities to bring them up to international standard. Typical examples are: commissioning of the new Respiratory Intensive Care Unit; (to combat the scourge of Avian Flu and other viral diseases) at University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada; launching of the CCT pilot programme at Deidei Comprehensive Health Centre, Bwari Area Council; establishment of National Trauma Centres in the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital and the National Hospital Abuja; completion and equipping of federal staff hospital, Jabi, Abuja.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Health Sector Policy Reforms
Did you know? … Neonatal and post-neonatal deaths have dropped significantly in the country. Prior to President Jonathan’s Administration, there was a high level of neonatal and post-neonatal deaths, which were a cause of concern and needed urgent remedy. Thanks to the reforms in the health sector, there has been a drastic reduction in neonatal and post-neonatal deaths.

Did you know? … Under President Jonathan’s administration, fewer children under age 5 died from childhood diseases. There was a record of improved health among children; with fewer children dying under President Jonathan’s administration.

Did you know? ... Thanks to President Jonathan’s health reforms, more pregnant women received antenatal care from skilled medical personnel and more babies were hospital delivered.

Did you know? ... There have been fewer deaths from malaria fever infection under President Jonathan’s administration.

It is no longer news that Malaria is the highest killer in Sub-Saharan Africa. What is not known however, is that the government has been making serious efforts to reduce the rate of infection and increase treatment for malaria. Great success has been achieved in this regard; the first step to combating malaria is preventing mosquito bites via the use of mosquito nets. This simple act has gone a long way in helping to reduce malaria fever infections.

Testimonial
Laraba Dauda

They told me traditional birth attendants were the best when it came to pregnancy and child delivery in my area, that’s in Pankshin, yet I had already lost two pregnancies since I got married in 2008. I was blamed for many things like not drinking enough herbs, but I also know enough now to understand that it was because I didn’t get adequate antenatal care. So, I was overjoyed when I became pregnant again. This time, I did not waste any time, I just headed straight to the new hospital in town, the one they say was built by the federal government. Yes, there was a long queue and I had to wait my turn but it wasn’t for long after all who doesn’t like good things. A female doctor examined me and I was given free drugs. During antenatal clinics at the hospital, the nurses talked to us about simple things that will keep us and our babies safe and then they gave us free mosquito nets because as pregnant women, it is easy for us to get malaria.

I gave birth to a baby girl and I did not pay a dime. After my delivery, they showed me again how to keep my baby safe under mosquito net. I did that but after sometime, with all the wahala of taking care of my baby, I forgot. That must be why when my daughter was about 11 months, she became sick from malaria. I took her back to the hospital and we were given free malarial drugs. I have continued to use the mosquito net; even my oga comes under it in the night.

Today, we are all not worrying about malaria. My daughter is a fine 5 years old girl and I’m even pregnant again.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Medical Science Discovery
This administration’s strides in medical science are hardly celebrated. Recently a team of Nigerian scientists led by Dauda Oladepo of the International Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) and sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Health, discovered CD4 Lymphocyte baseline for testing people living with HIV/AIDS. The effort is all the more remarkable because it was funded by the Federal Ministry of Health and its findings are particularly useful to the Nigerian environment. The discovery is very vital to monitoring and managing the disease progression in infected people.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Improved Access to Health Care
Under the Jonathan administration, access to healthcare increased from 56.2% to 70.6% for women; thereby increasing the chances of safe deliveries and immediate medical attention, while reducing the likelihood of infant mortality during childbirth.

Testimonial: Mama Tano’s Story
To lose a child is one of the worst things that can happen to a woman. It is bad to happen once, but twice is even worse. “I no fit,” I told my husband when I realised I was pregnant again. Every year, measles would enter our village here in Koko taking at least 20 children with it. My son was born in the house by the local midwife who helped deliver the first two. As she wiped him clean, fear filled my heart and I was shaking, wondering if measles would take him too. Some months later, some people came to our town giving polio and measles medicine to babies under one year. They said that the government had said every child was entitled to life, and every child, no matter how remote their location was, must get immunized. My baby is now 3 years old and another is on the way. I no fear anything again.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Strategic Reforms and Achievements
1. National Strategic Health Development Plan
(NSHDP): This is like a support for the health sector reforms: it aims to address most of the challenges in health care delivery system
that have hampered progress in this sector nationwide.

2. Save One Million Lives Initiative (SOML): In line with the NSHDP, this initiative outlines a vision to save one million lives by the year 2015.

3. SURE-P Maternal and Child Health Programme:
The SURE-P MCH Programme aims to provide a safety net of sort and lessen the impact of subsidy reduction on the more vulnerable sections of the population; people like women and families that have no steady source of income.

4. Midwives Service Scheme: This programme aims at reducing maternal mortality by providing access to qualified and adequate modern health care facilities, especially in the rural areas.

5. Community Based Social Health Insurance: This scheme seeks to raise the coverage of Health Insurance by reaching out to the rural communities as well as the underserved.

6. Establishment of the Centre for Disease Control: The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control was established in collaboration between the Special Adviser to the President on MDGs in 2012.

7. Introduction of new vaccines: The Penta-valent vaccine was introduced into the EPI schedule.
This singular vaccine provides the protection against Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus (DPT), Hepatitis B, and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib).

8. Modernization of the Federal Teaching Hospitals: The Government has been upgrading the country’s tertiary health facilities to bring them up to international standards.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Infrastructural Achievements
Did you know? The President Jonathan administration has developed key health infrastructure.

New Cardiac Unit at University College Hospital, Ibadan: HMH inspecting newly installed equipment at the CAT-Lab, UCH, Ibadan.

Rehabilitation and equipping of ObafemiAwolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile-Ife

Completion of the Public Health Quality Assurance/Reagent Control Laboratory of the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria, located in Yaba, Lagos.
Re: #GEJAchievements in the Health Sector by angelawoko(m): 7:17pm On Jan 22, 2015
His achievement in the health sector is that all our hospitals have been under lock and key for more than three months. Saibuhari.
Re: #GEJAchievements in the Health Sector by otigbagba: 8:07pm On Jan 22, 2015
GEJAchievements:
#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Save One Million Lives (SOML) Initiative

In order to transform the health sector and enable it deliver quick, yet accessible and high quality health services, the President’s team on Health began by rehabilitating and equipping various health facilities across the nation.

Save One Million Lives Initiative (SOML): In line with the NSHDP, this initiative set a target to save one million lives by the year 2015.

To further invest in the human capital of our population, we are building strong safety nets and improving access to primary health care using the Save One Million Lives programme. In the 2013 fiscal year, we recruited 11,300 frontline health workers who were deployed to under-served communities across the country. We have reached over 10,000 women and children with conditional cash transfer programmes across 8 States (Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Ebonyi, Kaduna, Niger, Ogun, Zamfara) and the FCT and we intend to scale up this successful initiative.

As a result, over 400,000 lives have been saved through our various interventions. Nigeria’s national immunization coverage has now exceeded 80% and is yielding demonstrable results. The Type-3 Wild Polio virus has been contained in 2013, with no recorded transmissions for more than one year; while Guinea worm which previously affected the lives of over 800,000 Nigerians yearly has been largely eradicated. Facilities at various medical centres across the country – such as the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital in Enugu, and the University College Hospital in Ibadan – have also been upgraded. Finally, Nigeria has also been honoured as Co-Chair of the fourth replenishment of the Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: SURE-P Maternal and Child Health Programme
The SURE-P MCH Programme aims to lessen the effect of subsidy reduction on the mass of the people, particularly on women and families with no source of steady incomes and those whose income barely sustains them.

Midwives Service Scheme: This programme aims to reduce maternal mortality rate by providing access to qualified and adequate birth attendants for women , especially those in the rural areas.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Community Based Social Health Insurance:
This scheme seeks to raise the coverage of Health Insurance by reaching out to the rural communities as well as the underserved.

Establishment of the Centre for Disease Control: The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control was established as a collaborative effort between the Federal Ministry of Health and the office of the Special Adviser to the President on MDGs in 2012.

Introduction of new vaccines: The Pentavalent vaccine was introduced into the EPI schedule. This singular vaccine ensures protection agains tDiphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus (DPT), HepatitisB, and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib).

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Modernisation of the Federal Teaching Hospitals
The Government has been upgrading the country’s tertiary health facilities to bring them up to international standard. Typical examples are: commissioning of the new Respiratory Intensive Care Unit; (to combat the scourge of Avian Flu and other viral diseases) at University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada; launching of the CCT pilot programme at Deidei Comprehensive Health Centre, Bwari Area Council; establishment of National Trauma Centres in the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital and the National Hospital Abuja; completion and equipping of federal staff hospital, Jabi, Abuja.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Health Sector Policy Reforms
Did you know? … Neonatal and post-neonatal deaths have dropped significantly in the country. Prior to President Jonathan’s Administration, there was a high level of neonatal and post-neonatal deaths, which were a cause of concern and needed urgent remedy. Thanks to the reforms in the health sector, there has been a drastic reduction in neonatal and post-neonatal deaths.

Did you know? … Under President Jonathan’s administration, fewer children under age 5 died from childhood diseases. There was a record of improved health among children; with fewer children dying under President Jonathan’s administration.

Did you know? ... Thanks to President Jonathan’s health reforms, more pregnant women received antenatal care from skilled medical personnel and more babies were hospital delivered.

Did you know? ... There have been fewer deaths from malaria fever infection under President Jonathan’s administration.

It is no longer news that Malaria is the highest killer in Sub-Saharan Africa. What is not known however, is that the government has been making serious efforts to reduce the rate of infection and increase treatment for malaria. Great success has been achieved in this regard; the first step to combating malaria is preventing mosquito bites via the use of mosquito nets. This simple act has gone a long way in helping to reduce malaria fever infections.

Testimonial
Laraba Dauda

They told me traditional birth attendants were the best when it came to pregnancy and child delivery in my area, that’s in Pankshin, yet I had already lost two pregnancies since I got married in 2008. I was blamed for many things like not drinking enough herbs, but I also know enough now to understand that it was because I didn’t get adequate antenatal care. So, I was overjoyed when I became pregnant again. This time, I did not waste any time, I just headed straight to the new hospital in town, the one they say was built by the federal government. Yes, there was a long queue and I had to wait my turn but it wasn’t for long after all who doesn’t like good things. A female doctor examined me and I was given free drugs. During antenatal clinics at the hospital, the nurses talked to us about simple things that will keep us and our babies safe and then they gave us free mosquito nets because as pregnant women, it is easy for us to get malaria.

I gave birth to a baby girl and I did not pay a dime. After my delivery, they showed me again how to keep my baby safe under mosquito net. I did that but after sometime, with all the wahala of taking care of my baby, I forgot. That must be why when my daughter was about 11 months, she became sick from malaria. I took her back to the hospital and we were given free malarial drugs. I have continued to use the mosquito net; even my oga comes under it in the night.

Today, we are all not worrying about malaria. My daughter is a fine 5 years old girl and I’m even pregnant again.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Medical Science Discovery
This administration’s strides in medical science are hardly celebrated. Recently a team of Nigerian scientists led by Dauda Oladepo of the International Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) and sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Health, discovered CD4 Lymphocyte baseline for testing people living with HIV/AIDS. The effort is all the more remarkable because it was funded by the Federal Ministry of Health and its findings are particularly useful to the Nigerian environment. The discovery is very vital to monitoring and managing the disease progression in infected people.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Improved Access to Health Care
Under the Jonathan administration, access to healthcare increased from 56.2% to 70.6% for women; thereby increasing the chances of safe deliveries and immediate medical attention, while reducing the likelihood of infant mortality during childbirth.

Testimonial: Mama Tano’s Story
To lose a child is one of the worst things that can happen to a woman. It is bad to happen once, but twice is even worse. “I no fit,” I told my husband when I realised I was pregnant again. Every year, measles would enter our village here in Koko taking at least 20 children with it. My son was born in the house by the local midwife who helped deliver the first two. As she wiped him clean, fear filled my heart and I was shaking, wondering if measles would take him too. Some months later, some people came to our town giving polio and measles medicine to babies under one year. They said that the government had said every child was entitled to life, and every child, no matter how remote their location was, must get immunized. My baby is now 3 years old and another is on the way. I no fear anything again.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Strategic Reforms and Achievements
1. National Strategic Health Development Plan
(NSHDP): This is like a support for the health sector reforms: it aims to address most of the challenges in health care delivery system
that have hampered progress in this sector nationwide.

2. Save One Million Lives Initiative (SOML): In line with the NSHDP, this initiative outlines a vision to save one million lives by the year 2015.

3. SURE-P Maternal and Child Health Programme:
The SURE-P MCH Programme aims to provide a safety net of sort and lessen the impact of subsidy reduction on the more vulnerable sections of the population; people like women and families that have no steady source of income.

4. Midwives Service Scheme: This programme aims at reducing maternal mortality by providing access to qualified and adequate modern health care facilities, especially in the rural areas.

5. Community Based Social Health Insurance: This scheme seeks to raise the coverage of Health Insurance by reaching out to the rural communities as well as the underserved.

6. Establishment of the Centre for Disease Control: The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control was established in collaboration between the Special Adviser to the President on MDGs in 2012.

7. Introduction of new vaccines: The Penta-valent vaccine was introduced into the EPI schedule.
This singular vaccine provides the protection against Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus (DPT), Hepatitis B, and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib).

8. Modernization of the Federal Teaching Hospitals: The Government has been upgrading the country’s tertiary health facilities to bring them up to international standards.

#GEJAchievements in the Health Sector: Infrastructural Achievements
Did you know? The President Jonathan administration has developed key health infrastructure.

New Cardiac Unit at University College Hospital, Ibadan: HMH inspecting newly installed equipment at the CAT-Lab, UCH, Ibadan.

Rehabilitation and equipping of ObafemiAwolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile-Ife

Completion of the Public Health Quality Assurance/Reagent Control Laboratory of the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria, located in Yaba, Lagos.
.Trash.Hospitals that have been locked than for more than 2mnths...does he give a damn?

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Worst Female Health Habits / Benefits Of Drinking Water On An Empty Stomach / To Develop A Muscular Body Use Bcaa Supplement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.