Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,239 members, 7,815,325 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

#GEJAchievements in Health Sector 1.1.1 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / #GEJAchievements in Health Sector 1.1.1 (577 Views)

Paramedics: The Missing Link In The Nigerian Health Sector / #GEJAchievements in Health Sector 1.1.3 / #GEJAchievements in the Health Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#GEJAchievements in Health Sector 1.1.1 by GEJAchievements(m): 12:59pm On Jan 26, 2015
Before & After GEJ
Key Economic Achievements of President Goodluck Jonathan In the Health Sector.

NORTH-EAST

1. Before the President Jonathan’s administration, significant intervention was needed in order for the primary health care system in the North East to achieve the MDG goals. As at 2008, primary healthcare delivery in the zone was grossly inadequate. For example, statitics showed that over half (51.2%) of women giving birth in the zone did not have access to antenatal care. Only 43% of women in the zone received antenatal care from a skilled provider. In terms of vaccination coverage from preventable diseases, only 7.6% of children between the ages of 2 months and 23 months received all basic. Access to safe drinking water was also very low before the President Jonathan’s administration. Only 33.7% of households in the zone had access to improved sources.

 The Health Reforms of the President Jonathan’s administration in the last four years have resulted in significant improvements in several critical healthcare indices in the North East. The number of healthcare professionals providing antenatal and postnatal care has significantly increased in the zone. This is as a result of the implementation of the various Health Sector interventions, especially the SURE-P Maternal Child Health Programme, Midwives Service Scheme.
2. In addition, before President Jonathan’s administration only 43% of women from this North East zone received antenatal care from a skilled provider. In terms of vaccination coverage from preventable diseases, only 7.6% of children between the ages of 2 months and 23 months received all the basic vaccinations in the zone.

 Furthermore, after President Jonathan’s administration data from the National Demographic Health Survey of 2013 shows that the percentage of women receiving antenatal care from skilled providers has increased by 14.7%, from 43% before the President Jonathan’s administration to 49.3% now. This further suggests that the conditional cash transfers and other interventions aimed at encouraging women to attend antenatal clinics are working

3. Before President Jonathan administration the percentage of women receiving antennal care from community health workers was 5.1%.

 Did you know? … The percentage of women receiving antenatal care from community health workers has increased by 67%, from 5.1% before the President Jonathan’s administration to 8.5% now

4. Before President Jonathan administration, the number of children that receive basic vaccination was 7.6%.

 The percentage of children between the ages of 12 months and 32 months that receive all basic vaccination has risen by nearly 90%, from 7.6% before the President Jonathan’s administration to 14.2% now. And the increase in vaccinations is working. The introduction of Pentavalent vaccines (DPT, HB, Hib), which help protect against Childhood Pneumonia & Hepatitis B has led to a reduction in child mortality in the North East. Statistics shows, all indices of Child Mortality in the North East have declined compared to their levels before the President Jonathan’s administration.

5. Access to safe drinking water was also very low in the zone before the President Jonathan’s administration. Only about 33.7% of households had access to improved sources. These poor healthcare delivery indices had translated into poor healthcare outcomes as reflected in the high maternal, infant, child and under-five mortality rates.

6. Before President Jonathan administration for instance, available data shows that in 2008, Child and Adult mortality rate was significantly high.

 Child and Adult mortality rates have significantly declined in the North East during the President Jonathan administration. Statistics shows that, adult mortality rates of both males and females are also falling significantly. This may be attributable to significantly stepped up effort in reducing the major preventable killer disease such as HIV and Malaria. Statistics shows that, the awareness campaigns are working as more Men and Women are having comprehensive knowledge of HIV/AIDS. In addition, more people are getting for HIV, and more people are receiving counseling about the disease during antenatal clinics.

7. Before the administration of President Jonathan, only 7.1 percent of all households in the North East had at least one LLIN (Lere Long Lasting Insecticides).

 This number has increased to 60.6% during the President Jonathan’s administration. In fact, there is an over 160% increase in the average number of LLIN per household in the zone, from 0.5 per household before the President Jonathan’s administration to 1.3 per household. Statistics shows that, more households in the North East now has access to the Insecticide-Treated Mosquito Nets (LLIN) under the President Jonathan Administration.

Testimonials:
My name is Umaru Othman. The day I was told that I was HIV positive, my world collapsed. But through
counselling I realised that all was not lost. Today, two years later—thanks to the HIV/AIDS interventions for PLWHA—I am getting my drugs on time and keeping my viral load stable which means I do not have to deal with infections.

 The Presidential Initiative on North East (PINE) was developed as a comprehensive plan for the reconstruction of the North East through a series of well co-ordinated and sustainable interventions in close collaboration with the State Governments and international development partners. One of the area the PINE is focused on is restricting the health sector of the North East.

 Despite the activities of terrorists, President Jonathan has not been discouraged in his determination to ensure the economic transformation of the zone. Demonstrating this, several strategic high impact projects and interventions have been implemented in the zone over the last four years. These strategic projects and interventions are already recording significant successes and are transforming the fortunes of the zone. This section of our report is concerned with highlighting the reforms and achievements of the President Jonathan in the North East. The discussion is arranged around different component with the health of the zone as one of the key focus.

Before & After GEJ
Key Economic Achievements of President Goodluck Jonathan In the Health Sector
NORTH CENTRAL

8. Prior to President Jonathan’ administration, health service delivery in the North Central zone was not encouraging. As a proactive government, this administration has done a lot to resolve many of these challenges and ensure qualitative healthcare for the citizenry.

 In order to transform the health sector and enable it deliver quick, yet accessible and high quality health services, the President’s team on Health began by rehabilitating and equipping various health facilities across the North Central zone. The Ministry of Health focused on the control of diseases such as malaria fever and serious ailments like cancer and sickle cell anemia. Many Nigerians in the North Central have therefore benefitted from quality basic primary health care system that has served to increase life expectancy. Some of the reforms undertaken include:
• National Strategic Health Development Plan (NSHDP): This is the main aim of the health sector reforms and the plan seeks to address most of the challenges in the health care delivery system.

• Save One Million Lives Initiative (SOML): In line with the NSHDP, this initiative set a target to save one million lives by the year 2015.

• SURE-P Maternal and Child Health Programme: The SURE-P MCH Programme aims to lessen the subsidy reduction on the mass of the people, particularly on women and families with no source of steady incomes and those whose income barely sustains them.

• Midwives Service Scheme: This programme aims to reduce maternal mortality by providing access to qualified and adequate birth attendants to women especially in the rural areas.
• Community Based Social Health Insurance: This scheme seeks to raise the coverage of Health Insurance by reaching out to the rural communities as well as the underserved.

• Establishment of the Centre for Disease Control: The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control was established as a collaborative effort between the Federal Ministry of Health and the Office of the Special Adviser to the President on MDGs in 2012.

• Introduction of new vaccines: The Pentavalent vaccine was introduced into the EPI schedule. This singular vaccine ensures protection against Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus (DPT), Hepatitis B, and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib).

• Modernisation of the Federal Teaching Hospitals: The Government has been upgrading the country’s tertiary health facilities to bring them up to international standard. Typical examples are:

 Commissioning of the new Respiratory Intensive Care Unit; (to combat the scourge of Avian Flu and other viral diseases) at University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada.

 Launching of the CCT pilot programme at Deidei Comprehensive Health Centre, Bwari Area Council Establishment of National Trauma Centres in the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital and the National Hospital Abuja.

 Completion and Equipping of Federal Staff Hospital Jabi, Abuja.

 Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa achieved the Target of 78% DPT3 coverage in April 2013 compared to NO State for the same month in 2012.
 Newly acquired diagnostic machine at the Diagnostics Centre, Kwara State
 Newly acquired Dialysis Machines at the Jos University Teaching Hospital.

9. Prior to President Jonathan’s Administration, there was a high level of neonatal and post-neonatal deaths which were a cause of concern and needed urgent remedy

 Thanks to the reforms in the health sector, there has been a drastic reduction in neonatal and post-neonatal deaths.

 Did you know? … Under President Jonathan’s administration, fewer children under age 5 died from childhood diseases. Statistics shows that infant mortality and child mortality and under-five mortality in the North Central dropped between 2008 and 2013. There was a record of improved health among children; with fewer children dying under President Jonathan’s administration.

10. Before President Jonathan’s administration, few pregnant women received antenatal care from skilled medical personnel.

 Information relayed from statistics shows that there has been a remarkable rise in the number of pregnant women who have been attended to by doctors, while the number of pregnant women receiving care from any type of skilled health worker increased between 2008 and 2013. The figures clearly attest to the facts that healthcare delivery systems have improved in the North Central zone.

11. Before President Jonathan’s administration, only about 10% of urban, rural area and North Central Household had at least one mosquito net (insecticide treated) as at 2008.

 President Jonathan achieved great success in this regard; the first step to combating malaria is preventing mosquito bites via the use of mosquito nets. This simple act has gone a long way in helping to reduce malaria fever infections. Statistics shows that today about 46% of Urban, 60% of rural and 55% in North Central Households have mosquito net (insecticide treated)

 For President Jonathan, the fight against Malaria isn’t over yet but it is important to note that prompt treatment is available to those infected with malaria. The administration of President Jonathan has been able to make giant strides in this regard with the provision of anti malarial drugs in the hospitals. Statistics shows that children infected with malaria fever are getting prompt treatment earlier than used to be the All of these have economic implications- fewer incidents of malaria fever mean less cases of absenteeism- either at school or work, resulting in an increase in productivity and performance. Again, fewer incidences of malaria mean the number of days lost from work is lower and firms/ companies will spend less looking for replacement workers.

Testimonials:
Laraba Dauda

They told me traditional birth attendants were the best when it came to pregnancy and child delivery in my area, that’s in Pankshin, yet I had already lost two pregnancies since I got married in 2008. I was blamed for many things like not drinking enough herbs, but I also know enough now to understand that it was because I didn’t get adequate antenatal care. So, I was overjoyed when I became pregnant again, this time I did not waste any time, I just headed straight to the new hospital in town, the one they say was built by the federal government. Yes, there was a long queue and I had to wait my turn but it wasn’t for long after all who doesn’t like good things.A female doctor examined me and I was given free drugs. During antenatal clinics at the hospital, the nurses talked to us about simple things that will keep us and our babies safe and then they gave us free mosquito nets because as pregnant women, it is easy for us to get malaria. I gave birth to a baby girl and I did not pay a dime. After my delivery, they showed me again how to keep my baby safe under mosquito net. I did that but after sometime, with all the wahala of taking care of my baby, I forgot. That must be why when my daughter was about 11 months, she became sick from malaria.I took her back to the hospital and we were given free malarial drugs. I have continued to use the mosquito net; even my oga comes under it in the night. Today, we are all not worrying about malaria. My daughter is a fine 5 years old girl and I’m even pregnant again.

(1) (Reply)

Strong Tower Gym... Good Health, Good People, Good Fun :-) / Provides Your Body With The Energy / 2 Things You Must Avoid If You Really Want To Lose Weight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.