Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election (533 Views)

Council Of State Concludes Meeting, Says Election Will Hold This February / Sambo Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Elections Will Hold / Pastor Tunde Bakare Wants Elections Postponed By Six Months. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by Revolution: 12:39am On Jan 23, 2015
Plans by President Goodluck Jonathan and his team to scuttle the general elections scheduled for February have come to light, with National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki openly calling for postponement of the elections.

Sambo spoke at a Chattam House lecture in London, offering the excuse that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has not distributed Permanent Voters Cards across the country as was expected.

SaharaReporters had reported several months ago that President Goodluck Jonathan was reluctant to hold national elections because his popularity had dwindled considerably and he feared losing the election.

In the last few days, as the popularity of General Muhammadu Buhari for the presidency has grown, Mr. Jonathan has spent vast sums of money mobilizing people to call for the postponement of the elections.

INEC spokesperson, Kayode Idowu told SaharaReporters today that INEC was not aware of Col. Dasuki’s suggestion, and that the elections will hold as scheduled.

Several sources connected to the presidency told SaharaReporters that President Jonathan wants the elections to be postponed for at least six months, a period that will enable him to appoint a new INEC chairman of his liking to oversee the elections. Professor Attahiru Jega’s tenure expires in July 2015.

With Jega out of the way, Jonathan would appoint another INEC chairman who would further postponement of the election.

SaharaReporters sources stated that President Jonathan is seriously considering an “Interim Government of National Unity” that would elongate his tenure till 2017. That would mean he spends eight years in power as President, the equivalent of two terms.

In 2011 as he assumed office, his first effort was to call for a new six-year term arrangement, which was shot down by Nigerians. He also recently attempted to smuggle in a new constitution by the back door through the National Conference.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2015/01/22/jonathan-wants-elections-postponed-6-months-inec-says-elections-will-hold-scheduled
Re: Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by REMMEI(m): 12:43am On Jan 23, 2015
sad bet why . . . If this's true i give up on our president.
Re: Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by temitemi1(m): 12:45am On Jan 23, 2015
I don't do saharareporters... GEJ till 2019!!!
Re: Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by Revolution: 12:47am On Jan 23, 2015
REMMEI:
sad bet why . . . If this's true i give up on our president.

So you haven't given up on him yet? Most Nigerians have, that's why he wants to postpone the elections. The problem is, in six months time he will be even more unpopular, so no need. Elections will hold on Febuhari 6th as planned or yawa don gas be dat.
Re: Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by baybeeboi: 12:55am On Jan 23, 2015
and the source is Saharareporters?
And I should believe this?
Shoot!!!
Re: Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by kestolove95(m): 12:57am On Jan 23, 2015
But jona no b byforce na...na u use ur maut talk sae "if d people u want to serv don't want u,u leav"so jona pls leav...we dnt want you
Re: Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by REMMEI(m): 1:15am On Jan 23, 2015
Revolution:

So you haven't given up on him yet? Most Nigerians have, that's why he wants to postpone the elections. The problem is, in six months time he will be even more unpopular, so no need. Elections will hold on Febuhari 6th as planned or yawa don gas be dat.
Was actually thinking maybe i should give him second chance..lolz
Re: Desperation: Jonathan Wants Elections Postponed For 6 Months, INEC Says Election by Vanpascore(m): 1:20am On Jan 23, 2015
The fear of feBuhari is d beginning of Jonathan's wisdom. Oga presi, u neva see anything

(1) (Reply)

APC Shoe..lol (pictured) / I Will Be The President.jonathan Is Clueless&buhari Is An Old Grand Pa - NCP / My Thought On GMB'S Age & Public service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.