Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? (2569 Views)

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / Atheists: What Are Your Views On Miracles? / Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by loveth(f): 4:26pm On Oct 04, 2005
Dear I want you all to help me answer this question: why are miracles now the talk of every church?

What make me to ask this, is that I tuned my television one sunday, it happened that the time is for messages from different churches.

The first station was a church, and the topic of their message was "you must receive your miracle today".

The topic of another church [service] in another station was, "your miracle is sure"

For another church in another station, it was "your miracle is on the way"

I then asked myself why all these miracle messages?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by Seun(m): 7:46pm On Oct 05, 2005
What would you rather have the churches focus on?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by Enigma(m): 8:03pm On Oct 05, 2005
Churches are supposed to turn people's mind to focussing on God which means two things: (1) Love God with your heart and mind and (2) Love your neighbour as yourself.

The focus on "miracles" by some people is actually far from the focus of the Church as a corporate body whether in Nigeria or globally. These "miracle" people used to be a minuscule minority; even now they are still a minority when things are put in perspective. The only problem is that although they are in the minority they are the loudest and they are the most visible. They are also fast growing in that they are most likely to attract innocent but needy and misguided folk on the one hand as well as greedy folk who should really know better on the other hand.

In truth, many members of the Church (i.e. the one true universal) Church are doubtful whether at least some of these so-called "miracle workers" are really members of the Church. In fact Jesus Himself said not all those who supposedly did "miracles" in His name will He recognise.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by hotangel2(f): 1:35am On Oct 06, 2005
Seun:

What would you rather have the churches focus on?
How to help people make money? lol.

Well because the new testament was focused on miracles. And most pastors follow the new testament!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by Hndholder(m): 3:00pm On Oct 06, 2005
People use miracles as bait to draw the weak ones so as to milk them. Then they ask for tithes from them so that they can have the blessings inform of miracles. People who refused to work hard just want to reap miracles where they do not sow, it is a pity.

Please seek the kingdom of God, and keep your thoughts pure, you shall have other things.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by Duncan(m): 8:47pm On Oct 06, 2005
I can not be surprise when people make such a statement as this............. It is very true that Men who are suffering from lack of Knowledge of God's word will always make such statement such as this but it's really not anybody's faulth but you who harbour such an opinion. In a moment, I'll show it to you maybe your mentality will change in respect to miracle.

What is Miracle? When did first Miracle occur? Why do people need Miracle? Did Jesus Perform Miracle? If yes, why did He? Did Jesus' disciple perform Miracle?

Beloved, understanding the above question will help us appreciate MIRACULOUS. You and I know that, God meant well when He created the first Man and Woman. But things turned upside down when they disobeyed God. So many miracles was recorded in the old testament but the most touchy one is the one that occur when Mary conceded when she was yet a Virgin. What is Miracle? Miracle is defined as An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God: “Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves”. Creation in itself is Miracle as nobody could explain how God bring into existence the things we now see. Needless to say, God empowered His prophets to perform an act that cannot be explained by human logical reasoning i.e Elijah, a man of like passion hold rain for Three and a half years...how was he able to do it.

Jesus Christ, the Son of God did perform miracle. Infact, miracles characterise His ministry here on earth and that formed the major reason why He was recognized and followed. The bible say how will they believe if they dont see. That take us back to when God was planning to send Moses to go bring HIS people( Israelites) from Egypt, HE had to perform sign or miracle to convince Moses of His Sovereignity and Ability. How can we know there is such a God who can save if there is no such an act that defiles natural course. Jesus had to perform miracle to proof to the whole world that HIS announced kingdom can actually restore all it talks about. Like an adage very popular in Yoruba land that "He that promise to buy you cloth must have been able to proof by what he's wearing that he is capable of doing so".

Jesus Disciple did perform miracle but not until Jesus left for Heaven. Bible recorded how about the Apostles of Jesus on receiving the Holy Ghost in Penticost 33 C.E went about preaching the Gospel and Healing those that were sick and setting Men free who were bond, cleansing them of all their infirmities. That same Jesus is still alive today and will continue to be alive. The message of Jesus Christ is yet to be told and that is the reason why Men of God must preach it. Whether or not anybody likes it Miracle cannot be seperated from Jesus because.....Jesus clearly say those that believes in me Greater works than these shall they do, Miracle happens when you preach it. We all need miracle and that explains why we pray for things to happen. You dont have to be annoyed when Men of God preach miracle........

My dear, dont pray to need a miracle.....because if you dont chhange your mentality concerning miracle now, he day you need one you will not get it.

May the Love of God continue to abiode in you. May the eyes of your understanding be open to see and know what is the hope of your calling nad also to help you see what has been freely given to you. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by bijorium(m): 10:25pm On Oct 06, 2005
Hnd-holder:

People use miracles as bait to draw the weak ones so as to milk them. Then they ask for tithes from them so that they can have the blessings inform of miracles. People who refused to work hard just want to reap miracles where they do not sow, it is a pity.
  I think you are misinformed on that one point. That statement of yours would amount to saying that the Lord Jesus used miracles to bait unsuspecting people as well.
  And as for tithes, I dare say that's not your turf. Has anyone come complaining to you about their tithes   . The farmer who works diligently is a partaker of the firstfruits. The one who ministers healing has a right according to God's Word to encourage people to give their tithe. I find it quite infuriating when people speak on issues they are ignorant about. It's best to keep quiet and be fully aware of all the facts under consideration.

This is not intended to be an attack against your person

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by Hndholder(m): 9:24am On Oct 07, 2005
O men of little faith, it is always funny when a nursery school pupil suddenly claim to have great knowledge of a subject more than his teacher.

I remember Simon performing miracle in the book of act with the spirit of wizard. Moses face the Egyptian magicians  when he came to deliver iIsraelites etc

I know I acknowledgedthe existence of miracles. There lot of things you need to know which were not recorded as St john gospel said and a lot were not canonized

Please be sure your miracle is from God not the stage managed type.True miraclesis usually very fast NATURAL process which will not ask you to pay like hospital.

You know a lot of fake adverts of miracles, as a believer HEAVEN is the target not miracles

some has gifts but that do not clear them for paradise men.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by SirKay3(m): 7:16pm On Oct 07, 2005
Miracles and teaching of the word of God goes hand in hand, but priorities must be given to "Repent ye and believe the gospel".

You can be healed of your problems and still go to hell. God forbid
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by loveth(f): 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2005
Duncan, that is a real truth.but is now three much.i mean churches are no longer preaching of righteousness.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Abeg is six much.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by donnie(m): 2:23pm On Oct 11, 2005
It may supprise many of You...  but it is important that i say here that many of those great preachers you see with many miracles and wonders accompanying them do not emphasize on miracles.

They emphasize the living Christ and when they do so, the miracles necessarily have to follow. Just because  people are given the opporunity to testify of God's goodness in their lives, you should not mistake them as emphasizing miracles above salvation.

I belong to one of those ministries were the miraculous abounds so i can tell you. It is because of the message of Christ that miracles happen. God gives these miracles as a proof that He sent these men of God. They are like your credentials. If you  preach Christ and He s ent you, he w ill bak up your claims with miraculous signs. Now if he dosn't back up your claims, you should go find out whether or not you are called.

There are what we call the signs of an apostle (maning: sent one).   

2 Corinthians 12:12 - Truly the signs of an apostle( a sent one) were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.   

These are necessary credentials. Miracles pull  sinners  to our meetings just as in jesus'  days and then they hear the gospel of their salvation.

It could be possible for some who have not been trained in the school of the Holy Ghost to seize the opportunity and go into the so-called ministry of deliverancce where they begin to see visions of enemies chasing so and so...thereby putting their hearers in more bondage and submission to them rather than the authority God's word. I am aware that some even recieve money for these deliverance sessions...  whereas, all they have are louds shouts without any power or significant results.

Those who go to them   never seem to find an  end to the problem from which they seek deliverance. If they only knew  that   their deliverance has already been made available in God's Word. If only  they are  taught how to take advantage of their inheritance in Christ.

Such are not honest. But the truth is that they will not go far. They will not last . It will be obvious  to those who go to them that they are beng taken for granted. Truth will always prevail over falsehood as people grow in God's word.

There are  however certain ministries  like the one i belong in with specific calllings as to the healing ministry...and they go about this calling with undeniable proofs. 90 percent of those who attend  our healing school are from other churches. This is because our members are taught to use the Word for themselves.

Where i worship, you are made to see yourself in God's word, through the annointing of God's spirit. You are exposed daily to the teaching of God's word and there is much spiritual growth. So God can trust us with more and more greater miracles. We trust in God and His word.

Even those in our children's church know their rights in Christ and are already healing the sick and casting out devils.

This is what jesus came to do in the earth. Jesus did  not   preach  miracles, but two-thirds  of His ministry was spent healing the sick.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by loveth(f): 2:07pm On Oct 18, 2005
grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by loveth(f): 2:21pm On Oct 18, 2005
Well , miracle is fine and nice,evenmy own church perform miracle,but what i'msaying is that is now out of hand,they re no longer talking ov righteousness.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by donnie(m): 8:21am On Oct 19, 2005
That is not true with those churches where the power of God is demonstrated freely.

Because, if you do not walk in righteousness, sickness, disease and infirmity will not obey you!

In fact it is our knowledge of righteousesness that makes demons flee.

Listen, it is one thing to talk about righteousness, it is another thing to live it. And you cannot live it and be strong by it until you understand the doctrine of righteousness.

Anybody can get up and preach the condemnation message even with out studying... It is the easiest thing to preach. But to teach God's people to live in righteousness; in dominion over sin, sickness, disease and infirmity is another thing entirely....You've got to study God's Word.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by loveth(f): 9:55am On Oct 19, 2005
Well that's real. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by loveth(f): 10:03am On Oct 19, 2005
RIGHTEOUSNESS smiley wink grin cool
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by nicetohave(m): 7:04am On Dec 10, 2005
To answer that question...not to mention if it is a true statement or not, first you have to ask yourself, and come up with an answer: What is the essence of christianity?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by kismat: 4:08pm On Dec 13, 2005
@nice

Salvation. Jesus Died of your sins (whilst God, his father, ignored him when he was crying out for help).

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by donnie(m): 4:31pm On Dec 13, 2005
He didn't cry out for help but he cried out, asking a question, "My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me".

He loved the father and the presence of the Holy Spirit so much that when our sins were laid on Him and He became our sin sacrifice on that cross, He cried out because the father (who according to scripture, would not behold iniquity) had turned His back on Him and the Holy spirit had departed from Him.

God did not just ignore Him; It pleased God (even though it pained his heart) to bruise Him because of what that sacrifice will do for all of humanity. It was God Himself who gave Jusus to die for us. That was why Jesus came!

He did not die as a matyre ... He was a sacrifice. He laid down his own life. It was all God's plan ok?

Isaiah 53:10

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Because of His sacrifice, his days are prolonged on earth through his seed who have believd on His name! He is still reigning on earth over the kingdom of darkness through his kids!

How great a love the father hath bestowed upon us!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by chrisd(m): 7:44pm On Dec 23, 2005
I agree with all of you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by nicetohave(m): 8:08pm On Dec 23, 2005
youre kidding right? how can that be?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by nferyn(m): 11:20pm On Dec 23, 2005
nicetohave:

youre kidding right? how can that be?
He tries to mimick the Bible grin
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by nicetohave(m): 11:31pm On Dec 23, 2005
He tries to mimick the Bible

In what way nferyn? the bible always take a stand, not agree with all and sundry
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by spikedcylinder: 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2005
[/quote]What would you rather have the churches focus on?[quote]

Is salvation so bad?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by pilgrim1(f): 9:54pm On Aug 01, 2007
Miracles are good and essential to the confirmation of the Gospel - as God gives them.

But if 'miracles' overshadow the main concerns of the Gospel, people need to ask questions.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Focus on Miracles? by mnwankwo(m): 12:36pm On Aug 03, 2007
There is provision within the laws of God for miracles to occur and they do occur irrespective of the religion of the beneficiary. Gods gift is not distributed according to the parochial views of we humans. Christians, moslems, Budhists etc have within there fold those God granted the ability to perform miracles. Having said the above, it is germane to stress that a higher percentage of miraculous claims are not real. They can be explained by basic laws of medicine, or they are stage managed or the disease which is purported to have been healed never existed in the first place. Many claims of miracles are based on anectodal report and have not been subjected to controlled investigative paramaters. Anectodal evidence is always subjective and should not be relied upon as evidence of a miracle. Indeed if even 10% of these claims did occur, then our hospitals will be empty and doctors will be out of job. Really sick people are found in hospitals not on crusade grounds. In addition, obedience to the laws of God is indeed the greatest miracle.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

No Religion Can Save You! Only You Can Save Yourself, 2ru Your: / Can Someone Be Born Again, Yet Not Be Rapturable? / Tower Of Babel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.