Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Kindly Assist With Career Advise - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Kindly Assist With Career Advise (532 Views)

Anyone Trained With Career Insights Nigeria? / Career Advise Needed Urgently / Career Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kindly Assist With Career Advise by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
Am at a dilemma career wise,

I lost my job 2 years ago, it was a small company but a Management position. I got a new Job soon after at a much bigger organization, I was not given the opportunity to negotiate as at the time of interview. When I collected my offer letter, I was a bit disappointed at the offer because they offered me an increase of only 10% of my former salary. I was desperate for the job and I took the offer.

On resumption, I was shocked to discover that my position was just an entry level position and that the company used my been out of employment to position me badly. I had about 9 years work experience, and I was placed at same level with those of 1/2 year experience. I learnt to be happy on the job, however of late I have become very disgruntled, being the most junior person in my unit, I do all the running around and operational jobs, nothing strategic.

Also, It gets to me badly that 11 years post graduation I am still at an entry level position.

Now, I have a new offer with a company I am not so keen about. The salary is twice my current and the position is a middle management.

Please Kindly advice,

1. I love my current company and the industry, I feel proud when I tell people where I work, there is job security, good working hours (I have time for my family), good working environment. However, I get sad each time I remember how I am under valued and underpriced and it will take me 7-8years to get to middle management level.

2. Should I accept the new offer, although the company is well established, but I don't like the industry. I will be in d middle management level, have a strategic position and double salary. However, I have no idea on the company's Job security, working hours maybe tight and I don't know how the working environment is.

Thank you.
Re: Kindly Assist With Career Advise by okudoh: 6:20pm On Jan 23, 2015
Dear, firstly I'll mention that a job is not a career, so it'll really help to know if you need a job just to get-by or you really want to build a career.
What is your motivation ? Is is the pay, job satisfaction, self actualization or what exactly will make you happy on the job ?
It will also help to do a bit more research on this new company. Your findings just might address your concerns and help you make a decision.

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Install Solar Energy In Three Month's / Essay Competition!! / Candid Advice Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.