Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

The New Machine - Written By Dele Giwa (may 6, 1985) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The New Machine - Written By Dele Giwa (may 6, 1985) (1278 Views)

Tinubu, PDP And The Road To 2019 - By Dele Momodu / IBB Opens Up On Dele Giwa's Death & 159 Officers On Crashed Plane / Detailed Account Of Dele Giwa's Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The New Machine - Written By Dele Giwa (may 6, 1985) by Huffington: 6:23pm On Jan 23, 2015
(Vist: http://ndibenonso..com/2015/01/archives-new-machine-by-dele-giwa-may-6.html) for original copy)

The New Machine - Dele Giwa
The striking thing about them in the valleys where they sprout in California and Massachusetts in the United States like lettuce in season is that they hate to occupy buildings that are higher than four storeys. They don't like the inner city which perhaps suggests to them the old ways with which they are unfamiliar. For them, the lower the building and the newer the environment, the better. They like to be near their type and stay away from the generality of mankind. You have to speak their tongue to understand them.

Their creators are eccentric, young, renaissant and irreverent. They are made to think and behave like their creators. They are changing the world and they are daring mankind to ignore them. You ignore them at your own peril. They are COMPUTERS. What will mankind do without them? Computers and I have a relationship that will certainly endure for the rest of my life. Once they touch you, computer, you stay touched. Here is the story of how science and I parted ways, and then came back together again whereof I landed on the laps of a computer in Brooklyn, New York. First the parting.

In secondary schools, Nigerian kids are not told why they are forced to offer art and science courses. At least, we were not told in those days at Oduduwa College, Ile Ife. If they had explained to us that the reason we were required to pass English and Mathematics, and a course here and there in both arts and science, was to give us a broad beginning in something called liberal education, we would have perhaps worked harder. All we were told was that we should pass Mathematics and English and six other subjects which you couldn't without taking courses in the arts and the sciences.

I wanted to be a chemical engineer and, if not that, then a shipwrightsman, a ship builder. That was my attitude until my English teacher, a fellow named Mr Sutton, told me that he thought that i would make a better career in an English-related endeavor, hence what I am today, a Journalist. I was lucky way back in 1964 to have made a connection between English and journalism, and not for me the confusion about the choice of a career which carried over into some people's middle ages. It was shortly after Sutton told me to love English that my colleagues and I at the Oduduwa College decided to publish a forthnightly magazine, called The Torch, for the school. Whatever is the pursuit of one's choice, the American University education set-up requires every student to meet certain conditions. In addition to every student passing certain courses in English, he is also required to take courses in the sciences, even if he only wants to get a degree in the arts. And a science student, be he a medical student or an engineering aspirant, is also required to pass a number of courses in the arts.

That's how I returned to science and landed in a computer programming course at the Brooklyn College of the City University of New York. As a candidate for a degree in English, I was required to take a number of credits in the sciences. I was fascinated by the computer, it was a science, and so I took a course in it, and failed. I would always remember, for it was the only course I ever failed in my life. I still love computers. Nobody can go through life without them, or life will not be worth living. That the computer has not made the impression that it should in Nigeria best speaks of Nigeria as a developing country.

To fit into the fast lane of progress, every kid should grow up with the computer. In the future that has already started, computer is the trend setter. Even a journalist, in the brand new world, cannot do without computers. Word processors and typewriters with memories have killed the once irreplaceable manual typewriter.
At Newswatch we obtained some photo-composing equipment made by Compugraphy of the U.S. The brand we ordered was called the 7500. They sent us the Editwriter 7500 II. When they arrived in our offices, we jumped for joy. They were installed, but they refused to work. Why? Nobody could say. After some hours of trying, the technicians who installed the machines, Nigerian "technicians" said the manufacturers had sent the wrong memories for the computer-based equipment. The wrong brains, they said, had been put in wrong bodies. What do I do? I took off for Massachusetts to return the "wrong" brains for the "right" brains. When I got there, a small town called Wilmington outside Boston populated by computer companies, another silicon valley, I was put in a room for three hours to talk to whiz kids - and they are indeed kids - to learn the secrets of the brains which I wanted to return.

They explained carefully that I had the correct brains. The ones I was asked to replace them with, they explained, were old and limited brains. They went on to say that the machines that we bought were better than the 7500's which the Nigerian technicians were familiar with, and were not as versatile as the 7500 II's we had purchased. If we took the ROM brains, being the ones I was asked to collect, we would be cheating ourselves. The RAM brains, which came with our machines, were more up to date. Even those, they painstakingly explained, were already being phased out. Then they painstakingly taught me how to programme the RAM brains. And I returned home with the RAM brains and explained to our technicians. We set about work, and hurrah! the machines flashed. And finally I passed my programming course, establishing a new relationship with the computer.

But the experience depressed me. Why are we always stuck with antiquated technology? Even the 7500 II's are being phased out. The new 8400 series are five years old, yet no one in Nigeria can maintain them, hence they are not marketed here. When are we starting our computer journey? That is the question.

(Dele Giwa, the Editor-in-Chief of Newswatch Weekly Magazine, contributed this article in the May 6, 1985 Edition, Volume 1, No. 14)

1 Like

Re: The New Machine - Written By Dele Giwa (may 6, 1985) by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 23, 2015
This article touched me in a way I can't even explain!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of Women Collecting PDP Rice And Yam / Osinbajo Land In Ibadam Airport / House of Reps Pass Resolution To Stop Jega’s Removal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.