Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing (2218 Views)

How Men Destroys Their Semen Without Even Noticing! No.6 Is Really Horrifying! / Small Animals And Insects That Cause Big And Deadly Diseases / Pictures; FALSE Rumours About A New Killer Insects To Spread Soon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by cyprianlah(m): 8:48am On Jan 26, 2015
In some parts of our country, insects are considered as a good source of protein. People who eat them do it because they want to. But it might be a shock for you to know that it has been estimated that the average person unintentionally eats a pound of insects every year.

You might not have been eating insects consciously, but you have probably consumed pounds of them during your lifetime. But how could this happen?

Scientists found some insects in fruits, vegetables, bread, canned and processed food, even in the beverages we take.

You might never have deliberately eaten an insect, however you have probably inadvertently consumed over a pound of insects in your lifetime. The question, how is that so; then arises.

1. Mites – These tiny bugs live in wheat and grains. They can also stay in frozen vegetables. So if you have some grains stored in your cupboard for too long, there might be some insects growing there that you would later consume.

2. Maggots – If you have ever eaten or drank some canned food, you have probably swallowed a maggot too. These freaky small critters like to live in anything canned. Some additives added to the canned food not only preserve the food but in addition make room for maggots.

3. Fruit flies – Fruit flies live in mangoes, oranges and in a majority of other fruits. When you buy a fruit and see it there you can easily wash it off. But when you drink a pack of fruit juice, you can be swilling several flies per one cup of juice, seeing as because you can’t wash off the fruit flies in the juice.

4. Corn ear worms – It is easy to avoid this by cutting kernels off the cob. However you can’t do it with canned sweet corn. So you should be more careful.

5. Cowpea curculio/caterpillars – a can of beans or peas can contain nearly five or more cowpea curculio larvae, which will grow into dark brown, beetle. Caterpillars can be found in frozen spinach. So it might be safer to this food item dried and cook it by yourself. It would be better than buying them frozen and with some ‘additional’ proteins.

1 Like

Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by cyprianlah(m): 8:49am On Jan 26, 2015
Cowpea curculio/caterpillars

Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by endy4oxide(m): 8:54am On Jan 26, 2015
Ayama undecided shocked shocked

And I av fruit juice in front of me now ooo.....

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 26, 2015
no2 is sweet naa grin
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by jamex93(m): 9:31am On Jan 26, 2015
na so we dey chop am n nothing can fit happen
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by Redoil: 9:37am On Jan 26, 2015
What about
cocroaches
bedbugs
mosquitoes
houseflies
maggots from the toilet.
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 11:02am On Jan 26, 2015
I cannot count how many pounds of bean weevils i have eaten in my lifetime.
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by kemiola89(f): 10:50pm On Jan 26, 2015
I was hoping to see roaches on your list cheesy
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by jennyomalicha12(f): 1:40am On Jan 27, 2015
Must of d times ogiri is with maggots
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2015
tosscash1:
no2 is sweet naa grin
Onijekuje. . . cheesy
Re: 5 Insects Nigerians Could Eat Without Even Noticing by Pampers: 9:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
Reminds me of agbalumo fruit

(1) (Reply)

10 Health Benefits Of Groundnuts / A World Class Orthopaedic Hospital In Anambra / Shocking! Lady Posts Names Of Men She Has Infected With HIV/AIDS On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.