Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,486 members, 7,861,409 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:43 AM

Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni (910 Views)

Jonathan, Okowa Take Message Of Peace To Creeks Of The Niger Delta / Military Kills 114 Militants In Ogun And Lagos Creeks - Today.ng / Militants Take Over Arepo Creeks In Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by paddybrown(m): 10:27am On Jan 26, 2015
Dr Judy Asuni is the executive Director Academic
Associate Peaceworks. She has been at the forefront of
reforming armed youths otherwise called militants in the
Niger Delta for close to a decade.
In this interview, Dr Asuni speaks on efforts by her body to
ensure a violent free election. She also expresses worries
that some of the armed groups in the region have started
returning to the creeks. Excerpt:
Judith Asuni
Judith Asuni
What are your fears about the coming elections
My fears are that we may see even more violence than we
saw in previous elections. The stakes are very high now. I
have just been to Abuja, the tensions in the north, people
in the north feeling it is time to get their Representatives
back. People In the South South are feeling that Goodluck
Jonathan should continue as President. I am afraid that
the stakes are higher than before. We are working on a
project with funding from Foundation for Partnership
Initiatives in the Niger Delta, PIND, on non violent elections
for 2015. We have worked for more than a decade now
with members of the armed groups in the Niger Delta.
They killed some of the young men in political violence in
the past. So we are trying to get the message home that
you may be hired to harass, intimidate and steal ballot
boxes by opponents but ultimately you can lose your lives
in the process.
We are doing a series of videos about people who have
been killed in political violence. Talking to their wives, their
children, sometimes their mothers. It is very sad, because
the long time impact is huge, children growing up without
any father. We interviewed a family where the child was in
the womb when the father was killed. So this child has
never known the father.
In Rivers state we have had situations where APC
secretariats have been reportedly bombed on two
occasions, the PDP governorship candidate was also
allegedly attacked during his campaign . Do you see
people coming out to vote during the elections with
violence already in the air?
I hope that they will turn up for the elections. We are
working on eighteen local governments areas likely prone
to violence, one of them is Okirika where APC secretariat
has been attacked. The other local governments are also
prone to violence . One thing we are trying to do is get
people to take control of the elections themselves, take
control of the governance process.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/armed-groups-back-creeks-niger-delta-asuni/
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by dahunsy(f): 10:34am On Jan 26, 2015
coughs***clears throat....as if i care
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 26, 2015
Ah think its a welcome development!! The piken wey say him mama no go rest,. Him too no go sleep...
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 26, 2015
Hmmm, this isn't good for the peace of the nation.
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by clevvermind(m): 10:40am On Jan 26, 2015
We are ready. Nobody has the monopoly of violence. The North should beware.
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:44am On Jan 26, 2015
Though I hate violence wit passion but, they have to because sum group of people don't wanna leave forest or mountains.. So, they might need to dust the houses inside d creek...
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 26, 2015
Onye obuna zaa aha nna ya...for me and my family we are ready

One nigeria my foot!!
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 26, 2015
Those Boys going back to the creeks will only spell doom for Nigeria already dwindling economy.
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by feelamong(m): 10:50am On Jan 26, 2015
Creeks?? Ok nah

I will see how Tompolo and Asari will be able to ride their limosines when the war starts..

1 Like

Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 26, 2015
daris God
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:03am On Jan 26, 2015
Before it's too late, don't let the war go into your door-step, political disagreements are solve politically. Show your majority and vote your favourite into Aso-rock, it doesn't work with guns nowadays.
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by san316(m): 12:25pm On Jan 26, 2015
Beautiful. they should as a matter of urgency go back to the creeks. When they start raising hell in the SS and the FG under gmb starts dealing with them, It will be a thing of joy for me to watch as they die like chickens. GMB is not that dimwitted Gej or the sick Yaradua.

All hail the north for some day, our stories will start with...

"Once upon a time in Nigeria, when there was a region called Niger Delta.
Re: Armed Groups Are Back To Creeks In Niger Delta — Asuni by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 26, 2015
Hmmm, this explains why the expats have started leaving and why the IOCs have concluded to close shop... My Beautiful Naija

VOTE GEJ FOR PRESIDENT 2ND TREM SO PROGRESS, DEVELOPMENT AND SALARIES IN THE CIVIL SERVICE WILL CONTEST

(1) (Reply)

Last Warning: Buhari Says Nigeria Will Be In Trouble If Pdp Wins Again! / Why Moderate Muslims And Buharist Share Equal Blame With Boko Haram / Osun Tribunal Today, What Is The Latest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.