Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,467 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan (4056 Views)

Xenophobic Attacks: Senate & House Of Reps Divided Over South Africa Visit / S-east Govs Divided Over Pro-biafra Struggle - Vanguard / Bishop Oyedepo’s Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by Dannyset(m): 11:57am On Jan 27, 2015
Attempts by Bishop David Oyedepo of the Winners Chapel, Ota, Ogun State, southwest Nigeria, to make members of his congregation pray for President Goodluck Jonathan to win the 14 February Presidential election backfired on Sunday when some members refused to stand up from their seats to pray for Jonathan.
Bishop Oyedepo had asked members to stand up to pray for Jonathan who came to the church for prayers to win the election, but some members of the congregation who were not happy with Jonathan’s performance refused to stand up. They remained seated and refused to pray for Jonathan.
This did not however stop the prosperity preacher from praying for Jonathan.

Worshippers and clergymen got more than they expected with the visit of President Goodluck Jonathan to the headquarters of the church, located in Ota, Ogun State, western Nigeria on Sunday, when the church was hit with condemnations and criticisms from Nigerians.
President Jonathan, with some of his aides, the Chief of Staff to the President, Jones Arogbofa and the Executive Secretary, Christian Pilgrim Board, Mr. Kennedy Okpara, worshipped at the church during its third service after they arrived the church premises in a helicopter.
A few minutes after his departure, however, the internet went buzzing with the news of his visit as bloggers latched on to whatever they could gather. Many of them ended up misquoting and misinforming the public thus resulting in the outrage that greeted the President’s visit.
Nigerians were provoked by the statement falsely credited to the General Overseer of the church, Bishop David Oyedepo, saying he would open the gates of hell upon anyone who opposed Jonathan’s re-election.
Some of the bloggers even claimed that he warned his church members against voting for the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Muhammadu Buhari, and that anyone who went against this remains a candidate of hell.
The bloggers’ false interpretation of Oyedepo’s admonition irked Nigerians who saw this as an affront on their mentality and wondered if Oyedepo was God or if he actually had the keys to hell.
While some Nigerians said they were shocked that Oyedepo could make such a comment, others went comic calling him a man of “small gods.”
Unfortunately, however, many of these bloggers and news writers were not in the church during the President’s visit, but they all attributed their news to sources within the church.
Our correspondent who attended the third service of the church which was also attended by the President, his aides and politicians in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, from Lagos and Ogun states, reports that the drama however began from the church.

Before his preaching during the service, Bishop Oyedepo had given President Jonathan the opportunity to address the congregation.
Spending very few minutes, Jonathan, who said he did not want to say much so that Nigerians would not think he only attended the church to campaign, urged the members to pray for the country ahead of the general elections.
He said his call for prayers was necessitated by the various predictions by leaders and clergymen about the elections and their outcome.
“There are various predictions concerning the election, but I trust God to take control of the situation,” Jonathan said.
He also commended Bishop Oyedepo for his commitment to God’s work and to education, adding that only through education of its citizens would a country develop and progress.
“I commend Bishop Oyedepo for his commitment to the work of God and education, without education we can’t achieve much,” he added.
While some of the church members were excited to see Jonathan, others grumbled, saying he had suddenly turned to the Winners Chapel after he discovered that he is no longer welcomed at the Redeemed Christian Church of God since a senior pastor of the church, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, is now the running mate to Buhari who is contesting against Jonathan in the election.

Some also whispered that the pastors in the country were not helping matters as they are not acting like prophets and leaders in the Bible who spoke truth to people in power.

After his speech, the Bishop asked that the church members stand up and pray for the President.
He asked that since God always answered prayers of the church members, they should pray for God to give the President the wisdom and strength to rule the country and the unusual grace to lead the nation.
Our correspondent noted that while many stood up and prayed fervently, some sat down, while some used the opportunity to pray for themselves.
Source:http://www.9janinja.com.ng/2015/01/oyedepos-church-divided-over-prayer-for.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by timifizzy(m): 11:59am On Jan 27, 2015
Wait, so are you saying he didn't mention anything about "Gate of hell" now ?...

Chayeeee, all these cover up stories and money induced fabrications you are sharing on seun's thing. Dia ris god o, dia ris god oo. tonguetonguetonguetonguetongue

6 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by oluwakekz(m): 12:06pm On Jan 27, 2015
Lord have mercy

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by lordcornel(m): 12:08pm On Jan 27, 2015
Pray for your leaders that God will help them to govern well.. Una dey church dey bear grudges... Na only una waka come

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by MEILYN(m): 12:09pm On Jan 27, 2015
This is an unbiased report. I was at the church and everything this report narrated is exactly what happened.

I sat at hope entrance in the church and I saw a division when papa asked us to pray for GEJ. My friends and I were among the people that didn't stand up. To be frank with you, I was even praying against GEJ.

People started grumbling in the second service when a book titled 'Disputing the lies about General Buhari on religion' (am not sure if that is the name) was openly rejected by the church. The pastor announced that members should not accept the book as it is not from winners platform. The book was written by top Redeem Christian Church of God pastors and was signed by Pastor Adeboye's office. People began to wonder why a book defending Buhari and written by Redeem church would be openly rebuked by Winners Chapel.

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by PassingShot(m): 12:10pm On Jan 27, 2015
Love of money plus desperation of Jonathan is tearing Nigeria apart.

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by clevvermind(m): 12:11pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nigerians don't respect men of God. shm.
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by PassingShot(m): 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2015
MEILYN:
This is an unbiased report. I was at the church and everything this report narrated is exactly what happened.

I sat at hope entrance in the church and I saw a division when papa asked us to pray for GEJ. My friends and I were among the people that didn't stand up. To be frank with you, I was even praying against GEJ.

People started grumbling in the second service when a book titled 'Disputing the lies about General Buhari on religion' (am not sure if that is the name) was openly rejected by the church. The pastor announced that members should not accept the book as it is not from winners platform. The book was written by top Redeem Christian Church of God pastors and was signed by Pastor Adeboye's office. People began to wonder why a book defending Buhari and written by Redeem church would be openly rebuked by Winners Chapel.

Good to hear from your personal experience.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by demelza: 12:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
clevvermind:
Nigerians don't respect men of God. shm.
We dont have respect for bàstards masquerading as men of God.

6 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by dealslip(f): 12:42pm On Jan 27, 2015
Can somebody learn from Pastor Adeboye and disassociate himself from Polithiefcians. If Goodluck should win, you will see how they will all decamp back to PDP and rehearsals on praise singing of Jonathan. We are being kicked like ball back and forth by APC and PDP. Read the handwriting on the wall, the change we need is outside the two parties. PDP is APC.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 27, 2015
That's serious!
AIT and NTA keeps promoting a propaganda against Buhari thinking they are destroying the man.

Nigerians are now wiser!

5 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2015
berem:
That's serious!
AIT and NTA keeps promoting a propaganda against Buhari thinking they are destroying the man.

Nigerians are now wiser!
BUT THAT DOCUMENTARY ABOUT BUHARI IS TRUE SO THINK STRAIGHT AND FACE THE REALITY.
THAT IS BUHARI FOR YOU.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by baybeeboi: 1:00pm On Jan 27, 2015
We have the best MOGs in Nigeria that money can buy.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 27, 2015
PassingShot:

Born-to-rule mentality is tearing Nigeria apart. wink

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by chiomashine: 1:14pm On Jan 27, 2015
MEILYN:

May God forever bless you for that undilitated truth

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by Skako(m): 1:23pm On Jan 27, 2015
Pastor and jona shame is awaiting u come febuhari 14
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by ifeci: 1:28pm On Jan 27, 2015
Oyedepo seriously has something to hide; thats y he doesn't want buhari. All these corrupt people campaigning against buhari, God will expose u all come February 14.

9 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by cirmuell(m): 1:32pm On Jan 27, 2015
I guess he doesn't know that there're millions of his followers who don't fancy GEJ anymore, now how will you feel hearing your own pastor will open the "gate of hell" on you onto say you get diff. view or choice. People be making unguided statements since -0BC. embarassed

This Jonathan was at baba Adeboye's church in 2011, now that a member of that church is on the other side you decided to go to another church citing some dumb excuse. That to me was a very wrong & clueless move, but I wasn't surprised.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 27, 2015
timifizzy:
Wait, so are you saying he didn't mention anything about "Gate of hell" now ?...

He only said he would open one of the gates and not all the gates of hell as falsely reported. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by chacoonder(m): 1:39pm On Jan 27, 2015
Oyedepo,the reigning gate of hell janitor is a desperate man,he will do anything for money and power.

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by cirmuell(m): 1:48pm On Jan 27, 2015
1stCitizen:

He only said he would open one of the gates and not all the gates of hell as falsely reported. grin grin grin
potatoes tomatoes grin

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by cirmuell(m): 1:57pm On Jan 27, 2015
PassingShot:
He has divided the country along tribal line, religion & now he's going to divide the church. Going to Winners at this time was a very wrong move.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by timifizzy(m): 2:00pm On Jan 27, 2015
1stCitizen:

ROTFLMAOgringringrin
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by nzeadachie: 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2015
BUT WHICH ONE BE 9JANINJA ABI 9JAKUNFU?
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by Nutase: 2:19pm On Jan 27, 2015
cheesy
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by oluspencer(m): 2:52pm On Jan 27, 2015
masterpower:

BUT THAT DOCUMENTARY ABOUT BUHARI IS TRUE SO THINK STRAIGHT AND FACE THE REALITY.
THAT IS BUHARI FOR YOU.

Some of those reports were truth reported falsely
1 The 2.8billion naira was stolen by obasanjo and Yar dua. Its wasn't found in buhari' acct
2 Umaru dikko flee with money that was paid 2 import rice into the country. My grandma's money was part of the money and the woman couldn't recover from that loss since that was her last active investment.
3 the mass retrenchment came as a result of over staff in the civil services. It was reported that the Nigeria Airways had just one plane and its has 10,000 staffs (are u going 2 run your personal office like that) duplications of department and a lot of ghost workers were receiving salary.
4 capital crimes deserves capital offences, Oiwoh and ogedengbe were drug barons and deserve to be punish in accordance with the law of the land.
The only decree I faulted with him was the punishment of journalist. But if you are to be sincere with your self is he the only military head of state who jailed journalist? Babagida did, abacha did and I can recalled that obasanjo as a civilan even jailed some journalist for reporting that the president is using a "Tokubo jet".
So AIT and wake up Nigeria's groups should be sincere in their dissemination of informations because Nigeria aren't sleeping . PDP govt promised electrity 4 16yrs. Jonathan sold crude for 150dollars per barrel and nigeria has a opec quota of 2m barrel per day. Youths were scammed of employment by immigration and yet they didn't get the job and nobody has been punished yet. ( The same youths his targetting is campaign at)

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by kent79: 3:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
This is serious!
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by maxy097(m): 3:19pm On Jan 27, 2015
Since buhari started the religion sentiments, there's no way a sane Christian should vote buhari. That man doesn't mean well

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by larryUG(m): 3:29pm On Jan 27, 2015
timifizzy:

Chayeeee, all these cover up stories and money induced fabrications you are sharing on seun's thing. Dia ris god o, dia ris god oo. tonguetonguetonguetonguetongue
I have listened to d video. he neva did. watch the video on the church website
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by ibisko04: 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2015
Nobody should listen to any pastor concerning this February elections. Pastors are not the one putting food on your tables. Let everyone vote according to his or her own convictions.
Pastors and politicians are the same in Nigeria. They only know how to cajole you to get what they want.
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by biggerboyc(m): 3:59pm On Jan 27, 2015
na God go save us. they should respect there pastors wish
Re: Oyedepo's Church Divided Over Prayer For President Jonathan by macklef(m): 4:27pm On Jan 27, 2015
OBVIOUS UR PASTORS ARE HYPOCRITES, MORE LIKE THE PHARASIS AND SADUCES OF JESUS'S TIME
No pastor will tell me they did not read were jesus rejected all the kingdom of the world from satan.
He saw it as a temptation but ur pastors today, see alignment and affiliation with politicians as oppourtunuties.

Jesus ran away when he was to be made king of the jews, but ur pastors openly show their support for politicians and political officies also vieing for such positions.

Jesus urged his desciples 'be no part of the world just as i am no part of the world' in a symbolic sense telling us to be neutral in the world affairs of which politics is one of it. Yet ur pastors dont.

Religions today are prostituting with politics, very soon politics will bite them back real hard by giving them a very strong STD.

Its a shame the ones u guys see as god on earth is the one that will lead u people to ya doom.
im not here for arguements if thats what ur looking for.

#TeamJustSaying

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

SHOCKING! Out Of 11 Senior Officers Promoted To Cp Only One Ls Not A Norther / Biafraudexposed Of Nairaland Releases IPOD yoot film / Fulani Hardsmen Made The Terrorist List For 2018: Where Is Lie Mohammed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.