Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,665 members, 7,840,628 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) (36780 Views)

Ugo Ehiogu Dead: Former England And Aston Villa Footballer Dies, Aged 44 / Carl Ikeme, Super Eagles Goalkeeper Set To Replace Enyeama (Photos) / Rayo Vallecano Names Stadium After Nigerian Goalie Wilfred Agbonivbare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by overlord77: 11:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Some folks might want to disagree with you about that. grin

Still..he was good anytime he came on. RIP.

Thanks for pointing it out bro, the guy was a pure basket when it comes to manning the post. Anyway, May his soul RIP. I feel for.the kids that are now orphans.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Revolva(m): 12:43am On Jan 28, 2015
R I P....
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by yommyuk: 6:28am On Jan 28, 2015
RIP
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Icon4s(m): 6:43am On Jan 28, 2015
Rip Agbonibasket cry
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Efisko1(m): 7:15am On Jan 28, 2015
wasn't even born when he was rattling 4 Naija,not 2 talk of being a lover of the round leather.
R.I.P PAPA
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by MrPresident1: 9:28am On Jan 28, 2015
pak:

I can remember that the game was played some days before my resumption back to boarding school and it was not televised live on any Nigerian station (we only had NTA and govt owned stations back then).

But the game was shown immediately after the famous 7 O' clock news. But by that time I had listen to the live commentaries and my sadness would not allow me watch the full match again.
I can't even remember Amuneke playing in the game. Of the 6 men in front of the defence, I remember 5 - Adepoju, Christopher Nwosu(his only appearance for the eagles), Okocha, Siasia, Yekini.....so yeah he could have been the sixth guy.
I was aware of Siasia's excuse but somehow, I don't believe him. Yeah Losseni Konate - the guy who benched the legendary Alain Goumane for the breif period Phillipe Trouser was in charge of the elephants.
Agreed Agbonivbare really made a lot of saves in that game at some point my friend famously claimed we were playing 9-0-1 formation. grin With only the goalsfather upfront but I still think he could have done better with the strike but kudos to him, he did his bit.

As an aside, this convo brings to mind the great Ivorian side of the 90s. For me as a team (not based on the popularity of players) but if judged as a collective unit they were better than the ivory coast of this (or should I call it the drogba generation).
They had Alain Goumane (and Losseni Konate) in goal. For the records Goumane is the only goalkeeper to win the nations cup without conceding a single goal throughout the tourney.
Then there was Aka Kouame in defence, and the young guel tchiressau and the ever calm Segey Alain Maguy in midfield and of course the boisterous Mitchel Bassole. Not forgetting the giant 'child beater' (chai I don forget hin name - but one huge guy who was arrested in france back then for beating his child until his bones broke) and Donald sie olivierre. Abdoulaye Traore and Tiehi Joel played in attack while Ahmed Quattara was on the bench. It was a fantastic hard to beat side !!!!

Bros You sabi, double twale for you!!!
I remember that epic semi final game of Tunisia '94 between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Elephants of Cote D'ivoire, names in full because those were real men, real footballers.

Sadly, they don't come like that anymore cry

2 Likes

Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by Grandest(m): 11:28am On Jan 28, 2015
starlingbawa:
RIP to a great goal keeper. I remembered his heroics for Rayo Vallecano FC of Spain.

A great professional in his hay days angry
sic(hay days). It's heyday not hay days.
Re: Wilfred Agbonivbare Is Dead - Former Eagles Goalkeeper (Pictured) by starlingbawa(m): 3:08pm On Jan 28, 2015
Grandest:

sic(hay days). It's heyday not hay days.

Thanks for correcting the 'A' and 'E'. My mistake...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Everton Signs Ademola Lookman For £11m / Scenes At The AFCON 2021 Opening Ceremony (pics) / NFF Celebrates Julius Aghahowa's 36th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.