Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,369 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? (2194 Views)

Poll: And the best browser is:

Chrome: 42% (6 votes)
Firefox: 50% (7 votes)
Internet Explorer: 7% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Is This Problem From My Firefox Or Google? (pic Attached) / Do You Know Any Good Blogger Or Internet Guru? / How To Add Your Website To Google Chrome Appstore And Get Traffic To Ur Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by auwal87(m): 6:47pm On Dec 25, 2008
Even though Google Chrome is still in Beta, while IE8 is just around the corner, and Firefox 3 is taking extreme lead, which of these three is giving the most of what you wanted as a webmaster?
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by auwal87(m): 6:52pm On Dec 25, 2008
I just like the Inspector in Chrome, it helps me alot.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by OmniPotens(m): 7:53pm On Dec 25, 2008
FF is the best any day, any time. Just don't argue it but try it out and see the wonders.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Seun(m): 8:34pm On Dec 25, 2008
auwal87:

Even though Google Chrome is still in Beta, while IE8 is just around the corner, and Firefox 3 is taking extreme lead, which of these three is giving the most of what you wanted as a webmaster?
As a webmaster, you need to install every browser. It's not a matter of choice. wink
You also need to know that google chrome is no longer in beta. Unbelievable, right?

Firefox remains the best overall browser because of the plugin ecosystem, but I won't bet against Google.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by yawatide(f): 8:51pm On Dec 25, 2008
It depends.

Security? Given the recent announcement that MSFT has advised users to use another browser while they try to plug a recently discovered security hole, sorry, but throw IE8 out the door.

Web Standards? I have tested all 3 browsers and Chrome came up short for what I was trying to do at the time. It is still green behind the ears and could be better in the future but again sorry, I am not one of those to jump on the "whatever google does I will adopt" train just yet.

Tools for a web developer? Give me FF any day.

I personally will say FF but to each his/her own.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by seyekuyinu(m): 9:32pm On Dec 25, 2008
Well, I haven't been able to part with Chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First, IE is the web developer's nightmare! Only, we can't do anything without IE for testing because most clients use IE. Chrome is the lightest, incredibly light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You cant even place their processor usage side by size!
Its also incredible what you can do with tabs!
Its wonderful how it masters your frequently visited!
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Muza(m): 3:58am On Dec 26, 2008
chrome is the dope! grin
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by auwal87(m): 1:12pm On Dec 26, 2008
what I like more from chrome is d fact that I can search google directly from the address bar, its cool.

@ seun, Chrome is still in Beta, check their website.

But how secure is Chrome?
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by yawatide(f): 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2008
what I like more from chrome is d fact that I can search google directly from the address bar, its cool.

u can do the same in FF wink
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Mustay(m): 5:32pm On Dec 26, 2008
For web developers, FF is simply the best!
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Mustay(m): 5:38pm On Dec 26, 2008
I recently downloaded IE8.

It's not impressive. Though it's in a beta stage, I would prefer the 7 especially for my offline data
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 26, 2008
I still use Firefox 2. I just can't bring myself to use version 3. I have tried it a couple of times and both times just brought my entire system to a halt. Also I just prefer the version 2 look. I might just have to tough it out with version 3 because I recently got an update saying version 2 will no longer be updated.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by OmniPotens(m): 10:48pm On Dec 26, 2008
Meaning you have no choice than to get to version 3. Why waste more time? If your system is halting, why not get someone to fix that for you?

Install and use FF and enjoy. Don't forget the addons that come alongside. cool
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by yawatide(f): 12:24am On Dec 27, 2008
The only issue I have with FF3 is when typing an address in the address bar. Let's say I visited in the past 10 sites with "ing" in either the URL or the "title". All those sites come up and it is usually in the order of which one I visit the most. At times, the impatient one that I am will hit enter at the first choice. Of course it is the wrong one and so I have to click "stoP" and repeat the process. Sure, I know I could probably turn it off but I like to suffer some times grin
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by OmniPotens(m): 8:13am On Dec 27, 2008
God have mercy on you. So you like to suffer, right? Worse still during this Xmas season. Thumbs up!

No stress and enjoy your life and you'll always say "Life is Beautiful." wink
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by bukavu(m): 11:32am On Dec 27, 2008
Firfox is the best

IE 8 is bad, I even prefere IE7 more
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Mustay(m): 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

typing an address in the address bar. Let's say I visited in the past 10 sites with "ing" in either the URL or the "title". A
I hated this feature the first time I used ff3 but later on I found it useful when I can't remember a site's address (or didn't bookmark it), I just type in chrome e.g. "Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8?" and it brings out the exact link! cool

No stress jo!
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 27, 2008
I have IE, Netscape, Firefox, Chrome and even Safari on my laptop. I usually create reusable classes in javascript, php, u can see some samples of my scripts on http://www.ds.mwebng.net. i create these scripts to solve problems - and for reusability - so i always make sure they work well in all browsers.
However,i love chrome and firefox - all the browsers have their advantages though.
With internet explorer - it is always quick to complain if there is a script error, but it cannot tell us much about the error, but FF will tell us where the error is. As for chrome, it has the property inspector which is OK - it is my favorite browser, i just hate the fact the you can not view the source code of a pag after the internet connection goes off - not even inspect a page!
But i love the way chrome allows you to maximize the browsing view - u dont have to scroll much on lots of self-respecting-websites to get to where u are going. As for NE - seems to have been replaced by FF so it is rather degenerate.

Then safari - apple kit or whatever - i hate the liquid was it appears - like some kind of rubber and i hate the way it shows scrollbars and lots of stuff - in fact - i hate that java-looking interface [sorry java programmers - i meant no offence] - but that is just me.

In terms of design and scripting anyway, once i have tested out in internet explorer and firefox and it does not look disgraceful, i am not usually bothered to test out in other browsers.

My point being that, as a web developer/programmer u need to have the commonly used browsers to test out whatever it is u are sending out to folks - to avoid embarrassing ursef in front of other self-respecting-IT folks.

Merry Xmas guys and happy new year in advance.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Seun(m): 11:22pm On Dec 27, 2008
auwal87:
@ seun, Chrome is still in Beta, check their website.
Google Chrome Is Out Of Beta.  Here is the Google Announcement.
Next time, try checking the site before asking someone else to check. wink
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by auwal87(m): 3:49pm On Dec 29, 2008
Seun:

Google Chrome Is Out Of Beta. Here is the Google Announcement.
Next time, try checking the site before asking someone else to check. wink

Your link was not correct, this is what they said regarding the Beta version.

We're excited to announce that with today's fifteenth release we are taking off the "beta" label!

and then at last they explained;

We have removed the beta label as our goals for stability and performance have been met but our work is far from done. We are working to add some common browser features such as form autofill and RSS support in the near future. We are also developing an extensions platform along with support for Mac and Linux. If you are already using Google Chrome, the update system ensures that you get the latest bug fixes and security patches, so you will get the newest version automatically in the next few days. If you haven't used Google Chrome for a while, now might be a good time to give it another spin.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by auwal87(m): 3:54pm On Dec 29, 2008

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-things-google-chrome-needs-now-that-its-out-of-beta/

A little while ago, Google announced the removal of the “Beta” tag from their brand new browser. Now, I have heard speculation that this is due to the fact that computer manufacturers won’t bundle software with “Beta” hanging around its neck. Normally Google applications stay in Beta for a very long time (see: Gmail), but after only a few months, Chrome is out in the wild with no reservations.

While this may be more of a marketing stunt than anything else, a “Gold” version of Chrome (that’s ironic!) must now assume the same responsibilities of the other browsers that have taken off their training wheels. Note that in this list I’m excluding most (but not all) of the things Google has explicitly promised to fix. These are in NO particular order.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by auwal87(m): 3:59pm On Dec 29, 2008
For the first link

Google just took their browser Chrome out of Beta. Google say they did so because their “goals for stability and performance have been met” (while disclaiming their “work is far from done”). But is that the real reason? Steve Gillmor at Techcrunch proposes another potential way to look at it; “Google’s open source browser has a number of eager customers, including OEMs [original equipment manufacturers] who can’t offer the browser until it is in full release.” Yesterday when Google’s plans started surfacing, Ionut Alex. Chitu commented, “Out of beta? That’s a joke, right? Maybe ’out of alpha’ is a more appropriate description.”

Google was and continues to be eager to get Chrome out to many people, Beta or not. They advertise for it using AdSense, they show special links on YouTube pages, and last not least, they promoted Chrome on their homepage.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by yawatide(f): 4:17pm On Dec 29, 2008
as my friend smartsoft would say, "Cooooouuuuurrrrrttt!" cool

auwal, r u paid to prove things beyond a reasonable doubt? y not channel your talent into some useful tutorials here so we can all learn wink

Whether chrome is in beta or not is irrelevant to me. What is though is that when I code a site, that it looks good in all major browsers, chrome not being one of them for now and hence, the original intent of this post.

Cooooooouuuuuurrrrtttt! tongue
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by kehers(m): 4:21pm On Dec 29, 2008
Hmm, here we go again.

For looks, I will go for Chrome (Im a sucker for simple things) and then for the cool features they copied from other browsers. And hey I love their way of seperating each tabs in different memory blocks. Dont be decieved though, FF is still the browser I stand up for  grin - my best, my default! Not actually for their comformance to web standards (I actually think Opera conforms more), but for the millions of available add-ons on it. The two things I hate about FF though is its memory mngt problem (not that bad though - esp when u compare to IE) and popping out that download manager window when I want to download. Cant it just handle the download w/o bringing dat up? The truth however is that if Chrome starts allowing extensions and I can get as well the all the extensions/addons I have on FF, I will switch to Chrome as my default  undecided

Oh IE? The only reason Im still keeping it is for development purpose. By the way the idea that IE 6 doesnt work on vista is senseless of microsoft. Must I use 7? And not forgetting, when did we have to wait till Chrome have an inbuilr RSS reader?
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by auwal87(m): 5:49pm On Dec 29, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

as my friend smartsoft would say, "Cooooouuuuurrrrrttt!" cool

auwal, r u paid to prove things beyond a reasonable doubt? y not channel your talent into some useful tutorials here so we can all learn wink

Whether chrome is in beta or not is irrelevant to me. What is though is that when I code a site, that it looks good in all major browsers, chrome not being one of them for now and hence, the original intent of this post.

Cooooooouuuuuurrrrtttt! tongue

Chrome being out of beta means that the next release will be v2.0 which is impossible now because they have a very long way to go to catch up with the rest of the browsers like Firefox. For google, it is a marketing strategy. That is why the issue of chrome being in beta or not is important.

So, imov, Firefox is the best browser as of now.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Seun(m): 6:52am On Dec 30, 2008
We can fight over whether Google Chrome should be in beta, but the fact is that it is not in beta.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by kehers(m): 11:03am On Dec 30, 2008
Seun:

We can fight over whether Google Chrome should be in beta, but the fact is that it is not in beta.

Yeah, Chrome is outta beta - even for a while now.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by ThePhantom(m): 11:49am On Dec 30, 2008
@Seun

Curious, What does Nairaland stats  show about the browser type been used to view Nairaland?
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by kehers(m): 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2008
ThePhantom:

@Seun

Curious, What does Nairaland stats  show about the browser type been used to view Nairaland?

Lemme guess, the highest will be IE - and I think dat will be v6
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by soki2ng(m): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2008
You all have spoken well (your opinions). but the problem is that all these opinions above came from either a programmer's or webmaster's point of view, but the fact (truth) is IE still RULES 98% if not 99% for the COMMON MAN. lol undecided
I mean lets face it, we all are users of Xp/vista OS whose default browser is IE 6, so its just our curiousity and love to technology that gets us upgrading to FF, IE8, Chrome, etc. currently i still run IE 6 (crazy browser way), Opera (for downloads resumption.) and FF2 for proxy connections (8080's), so i haven't actually expirienced any of its so called add-ons. Have tried to get chrome, but i get impatient with the download process and exit it.

Tell you what. as soon as post this, i'm going to download Chrome, FF3 and IE8, expect my personal opinion after a week of testing.
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by yawatide(f): 11:15pm On Dec 30, 2008
soki2ng,

Letz look at the original post, shall we?  cool

Note what is in bold.  If he said for common man (or avg user) that wd be another discussion wink

Either way, you have to always code for lowest common denominator.  You get this info either upfront by establishing a baseline or from your web logs.  MSFT recently put out a warning that everyone should stop using IE because of security leaks. Yes, MSFT said that.  I blv it is even on the forum somewhere.  Now u tell me, supposing I never used FF before but was told by MSFT to use another browser and I settled for FF and I liked it so much that when MSFT says to return to IE, I don't go back?  U c where I am going with this?

Again, always code for the lowest common denominator.  80% of the folks out there use IE so it makes sense to make sure your site(s) show up there.  Having said that, other browsers are gaining ground, I bet you the %age will only increase over time.

It is better to code for all major browsers upfront and forget it than to go back and tweak in the future. If you are like me, looking at old code once I am done is like a dog going back to his puke shocked shocked shocked
Re: Chrome, Firefox, Or Internet Explorer 8? by Dclique(m): 7:33am On Dec 31, 2008
OPERA 6.3 is still ma best and fastest browser,

followed by APPLE'S SAFARI BROWSER.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get A Free USA & CANADA Phone Number / Why You Should Install The Facebook Comments Plugin On Your Site / How To Increase Page Speed Of Wordpress Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.