Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,174 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Three General Doubts On Buhari's Planned Anti-Corruption Crusade- Timothy Nkenu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three General Doubts On Buhari's Planned Anti-Corruption Crusade- Timothy Nkenu (607 Views)

Ghanaians Comments On Buhari Planned Visit To Their Country. / Buhari's Planned Probe Of Only Jonathan Administration And The "Far Past" / Asari Dokubo's Wife Reacts To Buhari's Planned Probe Of Missing $20bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three General Doubts On Buhari's Planned Anti-Corruption Crusade- Timothy Nkenu by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 28, 2015
Three General Doubts On Buhari's Planned Anti-Corruption

by

Timothy Nkenu Woma
(@timzy234)

Since the whole election trail started, I have spoken to quite a lot of people about the expectations, predictions and more. Recently, I was privileged to speak to an educated elderly man who was in the army during Buhari’s regime and also worked under the General. He spoke to me about what I wanted to know e.g. his strictness and firmness in dealing with issues; he also told me those I didn’t want to know e.g. Buhari’s smoking back in the days. From my conversations with a lot of people, I have deduced the general doubts of many average, politically interested Nigerians regarding Buhari’s resolution to fight corruption in the country. A striking similarity between most of them is that they believe in uprightness of Buhari as an individual.

One of the major doubts which has also been a strong goal in the net for PDP has been the caliber of some of the top people Buhari surrounds himself with (I no go call name o). This has created an impact, negatively in the hearts of many as regarding Buhari’s truthfulness in his resolve to fight corruption in the country. An old adage says (paraphrased) “one bad bean seed spoils a sack of good bean seeds” well, truth is that, Buhari has a lot of bad ‘bean seeds’ in his sack (once again, I refuse to mention any name). Realistically, in my point of view, one cannot successfully win any political (or at least presidential) election without these people as they constitute the majority in Nigeria’s political spheres; sad, but true.

Another doubt is regarding the Buhari’s ability to adapt to current day civilian government and democratic process. In the military era, as is common knowledge, the Head of State is figuratively the law; he has the power to do (and undo) as he pleases to. With all the major changes that have occurred in Nigerian politics and the whole democratic process, it is highly held in doubt as to whether the current modus operandi would permit Buhari to carry out this anti-corruption crusade he intends to carry out. Yes he has promised to jail corrupt politicians but can he do it single-handedly? Will he overlook the process and principle of separation of power? To jail them, does that mean that he would override the independence of the judiciary? All these are questions and general doubts with regards to the General’s resolve against graft.

The last and most controversial is the doubt that was spread by the PDP and described by the APC as “propaganda”. This is the doubt as to whether the General might simply become a tool in the hands of the many kleptomaniacs that surround him. Whether his backers would simply use him to fight their political enemies rather than allowing him to fight corruption in the country. Buhari’s campaign team has repelled this ‘rumour’ however, it still lingers in the heart of many and is similar to the ‘bad bean’ adage.

I remain, as I have always stated, on a neutral but realistic ground when it comes to the issue of the 2015 elections. May the best man, win.

2 Likes

Re: Three General Doubts On Buhari's Planned Anti-Corruption Crusade- Timothy Nkenu by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:46pm On Jan 28, 2015
Even with his empty promises, all we know is

GEJ for continuity#
GEJ till Buhari produces his sai thieficate..

1 Like

Re: Three General Doubts On Buhari's Planned Anti-Corruption Crusade- Timothy Nkenu by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 28, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Ok.

Nairaland member... I hail... grin grin grin
Re: Three General Doubts On Buhari's Planned Anti-Corruption Crusade- Timothy Nkenu by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:54pm On Jan 28, 2015
Timzy234:

Nairaland member... I hail... grin grin grin
proudly S.BAN, oga na u biko..

(1) (Reply)

Don Jazzy & Olamide At APC Campaign Rally In Lagos Today / Tinubu And History: Just For The Records! / For Kaduna Base Nairalanders Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.