Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Adoption From Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adoption From Nigeria (11097 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Parents Shy Away From Adoption So Much? / Baby Girl For Adoption / T (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adoption From Nigeria by popsi: 9:25pm On Dec 26, 2008
Pls has anyone got idea of the process of bring an adopted child from nigeria to UK
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by Ilelobola: 3:50pm On Dec 30, 2008
U need to get social services or a private adoption agency in the UK that is approved to authorise intercountry adoptions in your area involved. Once they approve you as suitable to adopt (I know the adoption is from abroad and it shouldn't be their business) you can then proceed with the adoption in Nigeria. Once the child's legally adopted, you can apply for a settlement visa at the UK high commission. You will need to produce evidence of the reason(s) for the adoption and it can't be economic reasons e.g. child living in poverty etc. You will also need to show proof that UK authorities are in the know etc. Should be easy to get the visa is right process is followed and you can show you can take care of the child without public funds etc. Good luck.
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by popsi: 5:27pm On Dec 30, 2008
Thanks Ilelobola,

The Child has been legally adopted fron Nigeria, and we've gone thru the social services here in UK. The position now is that the papers from the Social services are with the DCSF ready to be forwarded to Nigeria, but we are not sure if we need a notary public to attest to them and then the foreign and commonwealth office to legalise it b4 its forwarded to Nigeria. Pls help
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by Ilelobola: 2:37pm On Jan 05, 2009
Usually original documents don't need to be notarised for High Commission visa application purposes but you can try calling the British High Commission in Lagos to find out or send them an email. They tend to respond to emails better than they pick the phone and chances are if you call, you might speak with someone that has no clue. You should be able to find their contact details on their website.

You may also want to post the question in the spouse/family/settlements section of www.ukresident.com there's a huge chance there'll be someone that's been through a similar process will be able to respond to you or one of their immigration experts.

Whatever you do, ensure your documents are all in order, they (BHC) thrive on them. Good luck.
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by popsi: 4:18pm On Jan 05, 2009
Thank you, so much Ilelobola, your assistance has been priceless. I would check the web site you directed me to and email the UK Embassy in Lagos.

When you said ''original documents don't need to be notarised for High Commission visa application purposes'' are you referring to the Adoption Certificate or is it all the documents sent to Nigeria by the DCSF, becasue i am told i would have to pick up the Adoption Certificate in Nigeria. Where in Nigeria still not sure,

Pls excuse me if i am being a bit thick here, i surly need all the information/help i can get cos so i can get my son to the UK. I can also be reached on lewisoke@yahoo.com.

Thx
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by Ilelobola: 3:03pm On Jan 06, 2009
Original documents don't need to be notarised but if you are sending copies then you should get the copies certified. If they are originals from the DCSF, I strongly do not think you need to certify them, if they don't believe they are genuine, they can easily contact DCSF themselves to confirm. They tend to trust original documents from the UK.

The adoption certificate from Nigeria doesn't need certification either, they almost always check those, so they will be checking with the relevant authorities in Nigeria to ensure it is genuine.

Don't forget to include a letter explaining your situation and why you want your child with you ASAP, also list all the documents you are sending them in the letter. Hope it goes well for both of you.
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by cap28: 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2009
hi everyone i have a question

what happens if youve been refused the right to adopt in the UK and you then decide to adopt from Nigeria and bring the child in to the Uk to settle - do you think that the adoption agencies in the UK might block it on the grounds that you've been refused in the UK

your responses will be much appreciated

many thanks
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by ruthlouise: 3:54pm On May 17, 2010
oh i would love to adopt a baby from nigeria my partner is nigerian i am scottish could anyone please explain how we start the ball rolling i a cannot have anymore kids myself
Re: Adoption From Nigeria by SLIGHT(m): 10:20pm On May 21, 2010
Why can't u guys leave people's children alone?Why cant u hv urs besides Are there no kids in ur area to adopt? STOP CHILD TRAFFICKING TODAY

1 Like

Re: Adoption From Nigeria by dokkyelele(f): 7:38pm On Sep 14, 2011
come and adopt me, am at no cost, no papers n am 31 years old already

2 Likes

Re: Adoption From Nigeria by horny4u(f): 10:25pm On Sep 14, 2011
SLIGHT:

Why can't u guys leave people's children alone?Why cant u hv urs besides Are there no kids in your area to adopt? STOP CHILD TRAFFICKING TODAY

Please shut your but like mouth up angry angry angry angry, every child deserves love and that a child is not biological yours does not make them not yours.
There is no child called yours , all kids are ours and from the Almighty as long as you will love them like they were from your belly then pls carry go,
I hardly get angry but when do we learn that we are all connected to only one source , we are same, only the ONE.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Was Deceived / Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? / Is My Wife The Devil's Agent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.